Started on: 07-17-2011 07:36 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: Khw on 07-18-2011 10:32 PM
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearClick Here to Email fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
What? No discussion about the Harry Potter finale?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 349
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageClick Here to Email FieroRumorSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
No, Cliff made it QUITE CLEAR.

NO HARRY POTTER THREADS!

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwClick Here to Email KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
Maybe tomorrow. Planning to go see it tonight unless something happens to screw up those plans.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 392
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Next weekend, Im on call so I cant go to the movies.

Emma has grown up nice. I wish the movie would have taken 2 more years to make
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Very well done movie, and a worthy ending.. The movies went from the cheesy kid-esque flicks to a more mature flick. Harry has grown up, and did a good job.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

No, Cliff made it QUITE CLEAR.

NO HARRY POTTER THREADS!

I am puzzled...

Also, did you have to yell?
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwClick Here to Email KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
Strike that, my wife decided to go ahead and go see it tonight.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 07-17-2011).]

theBDub

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
I saw it on Friday...

I didn't think anyone here would care for a thread on it actually.

IT WAS AWESOME.
The book was better... more detail was given and the important people got their moments... In the movie some didn't. That's all I will say about that.

BUT IT WAS AWESOME.
I cried about 7 times... you know it's good when you cry when the good guys and bad guys die. It really was a trip. Completely filled with action and it puts you into the movie. I found it really well done. I want to go see it again soon.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessClick Here to Email ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
My girlfriend had to explain to me why certain people couldn't kill certain people. She read the books and apparently the movies left some plot details out. Otherwise I thought it was good.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearClick Here to Email fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
I didn't read the books, I just watched the movies, so I don't know of any deviations from the books. But...I thought this movie was EPIC, like almost Lord of the Rings epic. Like someone here said, the movies matured (like they grew up with the characters) over time. Very good movie, really enjoyed it. I look forward to the DVD release, will be a definite "must buy".
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:
Like someone here said, the movies matured (like they grew up with the characters) over time.

The books did this by design. Its assumed a 11 or 12 year old will start reading the first book and when they were still new Rowling was trying to release them once a year, so that they'd be 11 when they read the first, 12 the second and so on. This way the reader, the characters and the subject matter all mature together. (Not to mention, since this was Rowling's first book series, her writing skills mature along with everything else).

"The Deathly Hallows" parts 1 and 2 were the most true-to-book movie(s) of the series. Its always delicate turning a book into a movie but I think they pulled it off well. The important bits from the book got worked in already, no major plot points were skipped. All in all an excellent movie.

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 07-17-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

The books did this by design. Its assumed a 11 or 12 year old will start reading the first book and when they were still new Rowling was trying to release them once a year, so that they'd be 11 when they read the first, 12 the second and so on. This way the reader, the characters and the subject matter all mature together. (Not to mention, since this was Rowling's first book series, her writing skills mature along with everything else).

"The Deathly Hallows" parts 1 and 2 were the most true-to-book movie(s) of the series. Its always delicate turning a book into a movie but I think they pulled it off well. The important bits from the book got worked in already, no major plot points were skipped. All in all an excellent movie.

They messed around with the order of things from the book to the movie, but they were all so minor it didn't change anything. I thought the first book was the closest to the movie, but that one did completely miss a whole scene.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwClick Here to Email KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

I don't know. I think the first movie followed the book pretty good except a few minor differences like the forbidden forest seen with the centaur, but overall it followed the book really closely. The movies departed more and more from the book as they went on. Dobbie the house elf had a much larger part in the whole book series for instance. Ferengie (sp) the centaur had a larger roll in the books, though not overly huge and mostly looked over in the movies.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 07-17-2011).]

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
I wish I could remember the book or even the first half of this movie(the one previously released). The practical person in me wants to rent the first half to update my memory, but I know that probably won't happen. I bailed and saw Transofrmers in 3-D lat night instead. I thought it was really good too.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

I am puzzled...

Also, did you have to yell?

Perhaps this will explain it.

Joe Toma sezs--harry potter must go!

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 07-17-2011).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 337
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgClick Here to Email BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I didn't read the books or watch the movies.
I always thought waving a stick around was dumb, even to catch fish.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 07-17-2011).]

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 349
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageClick Here to Email FieroRumorSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
Perhaps this will explain it.

Joe Toma sezs--harry potter must go!

Nah, Cliff didn't say nuthin'

I was just stuck waiting in a parking lot and made a post...
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

Nah, Cliff didn't say nuthin'

I was just stuck waiting in a parking lot and made a post...

Ever notice those little round imperfections or splotches in a slice of bacon?
They're hogwarts.

BlackThunderGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post

Harry Potter finale?

Yeehaw!!! Those movies suck!!!
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearClick Here to Email fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

I didn't read the books or watch the movies.
I always thought waving a stick around was dumb, even to catch fish.

So why do people click on threads with a subject they are not interested in just to post that they aren't interested?

Originally posted by BlackThunderGT:

Like this.

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 07-18-2011).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwClick Here to Email KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
I went and watched it. It's a good finale for the films, I enjoyed it. There was alot of differences between it and the book although there was enough similairity to not dissapoint. Parts that were excluded were expected as they had been omitted in prior movies, such as the centaur envolvement in the final battle. They did allow Nevil Longbottom (sp) to receive his glory at the end of the movie like he did in the book, however it was at a different point in the movie then in the book. I'd watch it again, although it won't be until it comes out on DVD, however that isn't any different then any other movie I see in the theatres. I think the only movie I ever saw in a theatre twice was Titanic, but I was single then and well... It was a good movie to take female freinds to.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 07-18-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I have never read any of the books but I have seen all of the movies.
I like the Harry Potter movies and I am determined to see this last one at the theatre.
I have seen all of the others on television.
Be honest, how many more of you would have watched at least one of the movies if it had a Fiero for the flying car?
tbone42

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
I feel after around movie #4 my interest was slipping and so I read the books. Now the movies just piss me off for being so inaccurate. I will see the last movie, only because I feel I have enough time invested, but I will not watch it until I can check it out from the Library, like the last 2.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 337
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgClick Here to Email BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

So why do people click on threads with a subject they are not interested in just to post that they aren't interested?

Never said I wasn't interested in what people here thought about the books or the movies.
And my post was trying to be funny.

"I hate squash!" in a squash recipe thread is meerly imparting personal information about the poster feelings on squash.
Something was learned.
That gives the statement value.

BlackThunderGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
I never said I was not interest… wait let me check my post…

Originally posted by BlackThunderGT:

Obviously! I have watched the movies except for the last one. I have not watched it yet because it has not come out at Red Box yet… because to spend more than a dollar would be a crime. Just my opinion

“I’m sorry I ruined your Black Panther party”

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwClick Here to Email KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
SPOILER ALERT
Okay, only read this if you have no intrest in seeing the movie or have seen the movie but have no intrest in reading the book.
SPOILER ALERT.

Of course alot of dialog from the book was cut from the movie, expected as the book is about a 24 hour listen for the unabriged book on audio. To include all the dialouge the movies would have been really long. So, while I will mention some missing dialouge. it's dialouge that I wish they would have included more of.

First, in the book Harry meets with Olivander (sp) the wand maker before Griblok (sp) the goblin from Gringots, in the movie it is reversed. That's okay really because the order wasn't crucial anymore as Vauldimort (sp) already got the Elder wand in the first movie, which actually happens as Harry is talking to the 2 in the book.

Next they go off to break into Gringots, which is pretty close to how it happened in the book, except they run into Dolish (sp) another Death Eater on the way and he goes with them into Gringots and is imperioused along with the goblin banker.

In the vault the treasure has the Gemino curse on it like in the book and it expands like in the book, but in the book the treasure also gets extremely hot burning everyone in the vault. They escape the bank riding on the dragon like in the book, but it's more then just a jump on, cast relashio and go deal. They actually help the dragon dig out of the vault by casting spells to blast the earth out of the way.

From there, Harry see's that Vauldimort knows he is after his horcrouxus, and Vauldimort heads out to search out his horcrouxus to see if the others are safe. Harry glimpses this and heads to Hogsmead to go to Hogwarts. They don't give any indication of Vauldimort searching out his horcroux hiding spots, instead they compact his arivial in Hogsmead and getting into Hogwarts into a hsort time frame as Vauldimort heads to Hogwarts with his forces in tow.

Harry and freinds land in Hogsmead where the caterwalling charms start going off. In the book, Harry is forced to use his petronis to ward off dementors, and at that point Abaforth takes them into his tavern and hides them. Abaforth passes off his petronis, a goat with horns as Harry's to the patrolling Death Eaters. In the movie that is skipped over and Abaforth just calls them into his tavern and hides them before the Death Eaters or dementors show up.

In Abaforths tavern ( The Hogshead) Harry talks with Abaforth. This is one of those spots I wish they would have included more of the dialouge, as the animosity between Abaforth and Dumbledore is lacking in detail. The story of Ariana, is a good bit of detail and sadly glossed over in the movie.

From the tavern they take a new secret passage into Hogwarts. Harry meets up with the members of Dumbledores Army, from Order of the Pheonix, and others that have gone into hiding in the school. Many people show up to fight. Now here something happens that shouldn't have. Harry announces to everyone that he needs to find a horcroux hidden somewhere in Hogwarts. The problem with this is Dumbledore was very... Specific on who Harry could tell about the horcrouxus to, and all those people in the room of requirement were not included. /shrug, minor detail kinda... Except Dumbledore is portrayed in the book as gaurding his secrets and imparts that into Harry.

In the movie Snape calls all the students to meet in the main hall and makes a speech about Harry being spotted in Hogsmead and if anyone knows where he is they better speak up. Harry appears and confronts Snape. Snape goes to duel Harry but Proffesor McGonogill (sp) steps in and duels Snape. She bests Snape and he flies out a window back to Vauldimort. In the book, it does not happen that way. Harry goes to Ravenclaw tower escorted by Luna. They enter the tower and stupify the Carrow sister. The Carrow brother is let into Ravenclaw tower by McGonogil, where the Carrow brother threatens McGonogil, I forget if he does more, and Harry being Galant takes his invis cloak off and downs the Carrow brother. McGonogil and Harry leave. McGonogil runs into Snape and then they duel with the help of Flitwig, if I remember correctly and Snape flee's. Then all the students are called to the main hall, where Slitherin is evicted from the school along with Slughorn, where as Slughorn stays behind to help fight in the movie.

Harry set's out to find the Horcroux and Ron and Hermianie (sp) tell him they have an idea of how to get something to destroy the horcouxus. This did not happen in the book. Ron and Hermianie just disappear on Harry in the biook. He has no idea where they went. Also at this point in the movie Luna clues Harry in to asking a ghost about Ravenclaws lost Diadem (sp). Again, this didn't happen in the book. Harry figures that out on his own in the book and with the help of Nearly Headless Nick (Griffondor Towers ghost) he finds out about the Gray Lady (Ravenclaw Towers ghost) and searches her out. Some dialouge is lost in the exchange with the Gray Lady, but not really missed.

Nowin the book Harry meets up with the other two who show him they went to the Chamber of Secrets and got some fangs from the Basalisk Harry killed in the second book to use to destroy the horcrouxus. They inform him that Hermianie destroyed Hufflepuffs cup (the horcrux gotten from the vault in Gringots). Kinda how it happens in the movie, just a little jumbled up with Harry going to the room of requirement before meeting back up with them in the movie.

Room of requirement, now one expected change was Crab not being there, instead it's some other Slitheren there with Draco and Goyle, because Crab declined to play the roll in this movie. Harry finds the Diadem as Draco and lackies suprise him. Ron and Hermianie show up and save Harry from Draco and lackies. One of the lackies casts Feind Fire and the room goes up in a blaze of uncontrolable flame. One of the Slitherein boys is killed by the fire, not sure which, but it wasn't Draco. Harry and Ron save Draco and the other Slitheren from the fire and then exit the room. Harry then uses a basalisk fang to destroy the Diadem. In the book Harry, Ron and Hermianie all go tot the room of requirement together and start searching for the Diadem. Harry finds it somwehere different in the room then in the movie and Draco, Crab and Goyle suprise him. The rest happens much like the movie, with Crab or Goyle (I forget which) casting Feind Fire and one of them dieing. Harry and Ron save Draco and the remaining Crab or Goyle. However, at this point Harry see's the Diadem and dives for it, snatching it out of the flame and exiting the room. They find the Diadem already destroyed as Feind Fire is destructive enough to destroy a horcroux.

And the battle is underway. Now they took liberty with the battle, and that's okat because the book focuses in on Harry and Co. while the battle is underway with a bit of excursion outside that focus, but not enough to dictate how it all goes on at this point. Alot of what happens in the book is glossed over like the reunion of Rons family with Persey, one of the sons that turned on the Family around Order of the Phoenix time. In the book Grop, Hagrids half brother joins in the fight, this doesn't happen in the movie. Harry goes in search of Vauldinort and stumbles upon a interaction between Vauldimort and Snape, pretty much like in the book. Now in the book after Nagini mortally wounds Snape, Harry retreives memory strands from Snape who urges him to do so and look at them, much like all the memory strands we have seen in so many of the other movies, which can be put in and viewed with the pensive. In the movie, Snape urges Harry to take his tears instead of the memory strands we are all used to seeing up till now.

Harry rushes to view Snapes tears with the pensive, much like the book. This is one of those spots in the movie I wished the would have stuck to the book for verbatum. This is a very touching chapter in the book and it made me cry, actually it's my favorite chapter of the book, kinda the redemption of Snape. It's a touching story, so much more then the movie version. In the movie version they show Snape goint into the Potter home after Lilly was killed by Vauldimort and him holding her dead body and crying. This did not happen in the book, but I understand why they did it in the movie, they wanted to convey Snapes love for Harry mother and this allowed them to do so in a visual way while cutting out alot of the back story, but the back story is SO GOOD, I wish they wouldn't have done it. It really give you a feel for what Snape did, his failings and his making up for them. If any of you would like to listen to this hour long chapter, I would be happy to send it to you in MP3 format, just PM me a e-mail address. It's worth the listen.

From here the battle pauses. In the book Harry confides to Nevel the secret of the horcrouxus so there will still be three that know the secret because Harry is heading to Vauldimort to let him kill him. This exchange between Harry and Nevel doesn't happen in the movie. Harry sneaks out on everyone in the book with none of them knowing he is going, in the movie Ron and hermainie are told by Harry that he is going to go let Vauldimort kill him. The travel to Vauldimort and Harrys subsequent death happens much the same as the movie with some left out details and dialouge that really isn't missed.

Harry goes into a dream like dead state and talks to Dumbledore. Again alot of dialouge was cut from this part and sadly missed.

After having Dracos Mother confirm Harry is dead (he's really not but she thinks the only way to find Draco is if he is), Vauldimort has Hagrid, who was captured by the spiders in the first part of the battle, carry Harrys dead body back to Hogwarts. At this point in the book Vauldimort informs the populous of Hogwarts that Harry is dead and when the crowd erupts vocally, Vauldimort silences them with a spell. Vauldimort does this three times in the book but the enchantment keeps failing. Nevel steps forward and professes against Vauldimort. Vauldimort summons the sorting hat and puts it on Nevels head and sets it ablaze. nevel gets the hat off his head finds the sword of Griffondor in it and uses it to decapitate Nagini, destroying the final horcroux. The battle commences. In the movie, it happens differently, with Draco joining Vauldimort and his Mother and father again (which does not happen in the book). Nevel finds the sword later on and decapitates Nagini who is attacking Ron and Hermianie while Harry is fighting Vauldimort. In the book this fight with Vauldimort and Harry happens in the Hogwarts main hall with everyone looking on. In the movie this happens all over Hogwarts with no one looking on. Some dialouge is missed, and missed alot as it helps explain what happens. Also the Centaurs join in at the start of the second battle and this is passed over in the movie (expected though as the centaurs have been mostly ignored throughout the rest of the movies).

Vauldimort dies, YAY! We are near the end, but what a end right? Well, kinda. Harry walks out onto a bridge with Hermianie and Ron where he snaps the Elder Wand in 2 and drops it over the edge. In the book, Harry goes with Ron and Hermianie to the Headmasters office and talks with the portriat of Dumbledor. Here he explains that he's keeping his cloak (one of the Deathly Hallows), he dropped the reserection stone in the forbiden forest and will not seek it out (the second of the Deathly Hallows) and uses the Elder Wand (the third Deathly Hallow) to repair his broken Pheonix Feather wand. He then tells Dumbledor that he is going to put the Elder Wand back in Dumbledors grave. He wants to die, never being defeated so the power of the Elder Wand will be broken.

19 years later, happens enough like the book to not really dissapoint, although alot of dialouge is again cut, but none of it really important. You do have Harry stoop down to talk to his son Allbus Severous Potter (sp) and explain that he was named after 2 very good former Hogwarts Headmasters. This would be more touching if the memories of Snape that Harry veiwed in the pensive would have been better developed.

The Movie was a very good end to the series, as good as the books? No, but then movies rarely are right? If you never read the books the movie most likely won't dissapoint you. I am somewhat dissapointed because there is stuff from the book I wish would have been in the movie. However, at the same time I really enjoyed the way they wrapped the movies up as alot of the omissions were expected but the desire for their inclusion is still there.

Another touching thing from the first of the last 2 movies that isn't as touching as it should have been was the death of Dobbie. Dobbie was so much more a part of Harrys life in the books then he was in the movies, that the fondness for Dobbie was a little lost. There are actually alot of things like that from throughout the books that got lost because they had to condense the stories down to 2 hour movies.

OKAY, IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT OR READ THE BOOKS YOU CAN READ THIS PART.

Would I recomend reading the books? YES, there is so much detail, character interaction and back stories missing from the movies that really make the books touching. I've never "read" them but I have listened to all of the unabridged books 4 times and the last book 6 times.

Wow that was a long type... I'm sure there is more, that's just the stuff I can think of off the top of my head.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 07-18-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock