Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Guy's holster shoots him in the leg! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Guy's holster shoots him in the leg! by Bullet
Started on: 05-31-2011 02:45 PM
Replies: 54
Last post by: Jackdaniels on 06-02-2011 12:18 AM
Bullet

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BulletSend a Private Message to BulletDirect Link to This Post

SAFETY WARNING! Worn Leather Holsters Can Cause Accidental Discharges!

“What the hell was that?!?” she said. It took me a half a second to realize that my gun had just gone off…on my hip…in its holster. My wife and I had just finished breakfast at our favorite café and got into the car.

Me being the passenger, I rotated my torso to the left to fasten my seatbelt like I always do. When I straightened again, my Glock 19 discharged, blowing a 9mm hole through my pants, underwear, the leather seat and bottom of the car’s door frame.

The bullet nicked my hip, but the wound is nothing a bandage couldn’t cover. So what went wrong? Guns never go “Bang” all by themselves.

After ensuring I wasn’t hemorrhaging profusely and didn’t have to make a dash for the hospital, I stayed seated in the car as my wife came around to my door and opened it. I undid my belt and slid the Galco JAK202 Slide Belt Holster, with the gun still in it, off my belt. Why it went off was immediately apparent.

Read more: http://www.itstactical.com/...cidental-discharges/

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
..and the safety was off why....?
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
Because it's a Glock and it has no external safety. The closeup is showing how the holster defeated the trigger safety.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
The safety on a Glock (as well as some other major brands of semiautomatics) is nonconventional and the release is incorporated into the first part of the trigger pull motion.

Nelson

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

..and the safety was off why....?

Bullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BulletSend a Private Message to BulletDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pHoOl:

Because it's a Glock and it has no external safety. The closeup is showing how the holster defeated the trigger safety.

And this is why I'm not comfortable carrying my Glock. I like to shoot it but I don't carry it. I feel much more comfortable with one of my 1911s in condition one and so thats what I carry.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Guns don't kill people......holsters kill people.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post05-31-2011 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
That same basic thing happened to me.
Blew that ball off the side of my anklebone.
Had to hobble a few miles out of the woods then drive 90 miles to the hospital.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

That same basic thing happened to me.
Blew that ball off the side of my anklebone.
Had to hobble a few miles out of the woods then drive 90 miles to the hospital.

Ugh - that HAD to have sucked...

ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-31-2011 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Never carry any gun, especially a glock with a round in the chamber. Unless you are in eminent danger. I have had an accidental discharge with my glock but luckily it was in a safe direction and my fault totally.

Glad you weren’t hurt to bad.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

The safety on a Glock (as well as some other major brands of semiautomatics) is nonconventional and the release is incorporated into the first part of the trigger pull motion.

Nelson

Are you saying what I think you are? I'm totally unfamiliar with guns, but you're telling me you release the safety by PULLING THE TRIGGER?

Please don't take this the wrong way. If I ever get a pistol I'd like to know this kind of stuff...
PFF
System Bot
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Never carry any gun, especially a glock with a round in the chamber. Unless you are in eminent danger.

That's the trick, though. Imminent danger usually means the time it takes you to rack the slide is too much time. I would factor in safety location/use in the gun purchase process.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by kwagner:

That's the trick, though. Imminent danger usually means the time it takes you to rack the slide is too much time. I would factor in safety location/use in the gun purchase process.

It takes no longer to rack a round In the glock than it does to turn a safety off on any other pistol. I have practiced drawing and racking a round in. Now if I am in Boston it has a round in the chamber.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
That is the reason I don't like Glocks. A trigger safety isn't.
mikejhjr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrDirect Link to This Post
Wow, fortunately that guy wasn't hurt too bad. That is the important thing. That choice of holster was not the best. From the looks of things it was too far worn to keep the gun snug. Once the gun rode up all it took was him sitting down and pushing it back down on the slack in the material. It is also a good idea to have a reinforced opening on the holster to keep the sides from closing up and pinching together like that. I carry my XD40 in a similar tuckable holster most of the time, but it is reinforced and the side of the holster covers the entire trigger guard all the way to the grip, a grip safety also makes an event like this almost impossible.

Zeb, the idea behind a trigger safety is to keep the gun from going off without a trigger pull, not so much for the user error part. One example of this is by keeping the gun from firing if it is dropped, similar to how some revolvers have a safety that will prevent them from firing if dropped or if the hammer slips without a trigger pull.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-31-2011 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

Ugh - that HAD to have sucked...

It only bled about a thimble full.
But VERY difficult to walk without that joint.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post05-31-2011 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
It it the responsibility of the owner to be sure his equipment is in proper working order at all time.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-31-2011 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Doug85GT:

That is the reason I don't like Glocks. A trigger safety isn't.

it is no less ( or more ) safe than any traditional handgun if you handle the weapon properly.

EDIT: And its not just Glock these days as other manufactures have picked up on the idea since they introduced it.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 05-31-2011).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-31-2011 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Zeb:

Are you saying what I think you are? I'm totally unfamiliar with guns, but you're telling me you release the safety by PULLING THE TRIGGER?

Please don't take this the wrong way. If I ever get a pistol I'd like to know this kind of stuff...

Yes that is how it works. ( not including the internal 'drop' safety system, which is also tied to the operation of the trigger )
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

it is no less ( or more ) safe than any traditional handgun if you handle the weapon properly.

EDIT: And its not just Glock these days as other manufactures have picked up on the idea since they introduced it.

While that is true, no one can anticipate all things at all times. Prior to this gun owner posting his experience, I doubt anyone would have ever considered that their holster could fire a gun like that. There are plenty of other scenarios where the trigger can get caught on something or pulled accidentally.

I keep a round in my pistol but it has a thumb safety lever. IMO, that is a lot safer than a trigger "safety".

To each their own. If anyone likes a Glock, then get a Glock.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-31-2011 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:
While that is true, no one can anticipate all things at all times. Prior to this gun owner posting his experience, I doubt anyone would have ever considered that their holster could fire a gun like that. There are plenty of other scenarios where the trigger can get caught on something or pulled accidentally.

I keep a round in my pistol but it has a thumb safety lever. IMO, that is a lot safer than a trigger "safety".

To each their own. If anyone likes a Glock, then get a Glock.

I have to disagree about anticipation, as i know personally when i was selecting a proper holster, accidental discharge ( while wearing, presentation, or re-holstering ) was on my list of things to check out, along with comfort, retention safety ( don't want it falling out.. ). I also review my holsters every month or so and if they look the least bit questionable due to wear, they are gone. That said, a couple f my holsters fail the re-holstering 'test' while wearing, so i don't do it while I'm wearing it.

Ultimately, my safety is myself.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 05-31-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post

It takes no longer to rack a round In the glock than it does to turn a safety off on any other pistol. I have practiced drawing and racking a round in.

Racking can be fast for sure, and the more practice the better. I would argue though the distance of motion and the need for two hands makes it very difficult for it to be as fast as turning off a thumb safety.

Now if I am in Boston it has a round in the chamber.

No argument there
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Dude, you should put down the drumsticks and start being a standup comic. That's about the third time in a week you have made me LOL.

Jim

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Correct. There are many "safety" devices on a Glock, but none of them are designed to prevent the trigger from being pulled like a typical safety on a semi-auto pistol.
The safety devices are to prevent a negligent discharge in the event the weapon is dropped, or hit, etc. But if something pulls back on the trigger - it's going off, if a round has been chambered.

Revolvers also have no safety to prevent the trigger from being pulled, but the trigger pull on a typical revolver requires much more force and a longer pull.

Any gun when handled properly is safe. Of course, all that means is by definition if something unsafe happens, it's just because you were mishandling it. Not very helpful.
A Glock is "easier" to mishandle by accident than other types of semi-auto pistols, IMO.

Holding a lit match in one hand and an open bucket of gasoline in the other is also perfectly safe when handled properly, but I'd prefer to carry the gasoline in a closed container with the matches not lit. Which method do you think is easier to handle properly?
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Now on topic. This was not the guns fault, it was not the holsters fault. It was the gun owners fault. Glock or no Glock, he failed to use a holster that 1. was not in good shape, and 2. not appropriate for the gun. If he was using a Blackhawk Tatical, or replaced this obviously worn out holster, OR JUST PLAIN FREAKIN PAID ATTENTION WHEN HOLSTERING THE WEAPON, this would not have happened.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 05-31-2011).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-31-2011 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Rule 1. Always treat a holster as if it has something in it.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-31-2011 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

No on topic. This was not the guns fault, it was not the holsters fault. It was the gun owners fault. Glock or no Glock, he failed to use a holster that 1. was not in good shape, and 2. not appropriate for the gun. If he was using a Blackhawk Tatical, or replaced this obviously worn out holster, OR JUST PLAIN FREAKIN PAID ATTENTION WHEN HOLSTERING THE WEAPON, this would not have happened.

Jim

Yup
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Rule 1. Always treat a holster as if it has something in it.

Doni was funnier.

Jim

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-31-2011 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

A Glock is "easier" to mishandle by accident than other types of semi-auto pistols, IMO.

Ill give you that one and totally agree, and in the case of the topic, he didn't take that extra step in care that is required if you own one ( or sometime similar ).

tmur115

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tmur115Send a Private Message to tmur115Direct Link to This Post

if you ever get a pistol....

1 please get safety lessons...
2 eye protection
3 hearing protection
4 more safety lessons...
5 range time would not hurt

DAO revolvers are a good start for a beginner....

=todd=

mikejhjr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

... he failed to use a holster that 1. was not in good shape, and 2. not appropriate for the gun...

^ That's my stance. Most holsters like that are so cheap that it doesn't make sense to risk it. When it gets sloppy toss it and pick up a new one, Amazon has a ton of nice holsters at really good prices btw. I am a firm believer in keeping your booger hook off the bang switch, but in this case it's keep the worn out holster off the bang switch

[This message has been edited by mikejhjr (edited 05-31-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-31-2011 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by tmur115:

if you ever get a pistol....

1 please get safety lessons...
2 eye protection
3 hearing protection
4 more safety lessons...
5 range time would not hurt

DAO revolvers are a good start for a beginner....

=todd=

I would add a #6.. a class on YOUR specific gun: How to take it apart, how to clean it, a thorough understanding of it and its parts and function, not just generic safety lessons.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-31-2011 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Bullet:

And this is why I'm not comfortable carrying my Glock. I like to shoot it but I don't carry it. I feel much more comfortable with one of my 1911s in condition one and so thats what I carry.

If you like it enough and want to carry it, there are manual safeties you can get .. just as a side note.
Racing_Master

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racing_MasterSend a Private Message to Racing_MasterDirect Link to This Post
And this exact thing is what I am afraid of with carrying a Single Action Colt M1911 on my hip :P
Axmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AxmannSend a Private Message to AxmannDirect Link to This Post
Yea, I'm not to fond of Glocks myself. I carry my Springfield XD .45 It would make it very hard for the XD's to do this being they have 2 saftys grip safety and trigger. But I guess it is all personal prefrances like all of us driving our fieros over ricers lol
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post
its completely safe to carry a Glock Chambered. Like anything else, this a case of neglect. That was a poor choice of holster for this weapon, and one should inspect the holster they choose to use with a safe action pistol. As an officer, you are taught never go anywhere half cocked. If you are carrying a weapon it should always be ready to go bang with a trigger pull. If you are serious about self defense, never carry a weapon with the safety on and never carry a weapon with a round not chambered. You can, but it would be unwise, as this would greatly put you at a disadvantage. Glocks are combat pistols that require an experienced operator to handle and be confident with. In my opinion, if you lack the confidence to carry a weapon on fire with a round chambered, and must have a safety or no round chambered to feel comfortable, perhaps you should rethink carrying a weapon at all. Always use a safe and proper holster. The one in this pic is cut way short of the trigger housing and should never have had that kind of ability in motion to get in there.

This is what the person who AD said
"This truly brings home the importance of taking care of your equipment and ensuring it’s in proper working order. Hopefully you can learn from my situation and prevent an accident like this from happening to you."

Exactly.

Don't spend hundreds on a weapon, and then go cheap on a holster.

[This message has been edited by NickD3.4 (edited 05-31-2011).]

Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
That is 100% user fault. That guy was just asking for it with that holster.

I disagree with some of the remarks about safety, etc. I carry and M&P with no thumb-safety, just the trigger safety. I don't want anything getting in the way if a situation occurred that I needed it to fire. A solid holster and everything is just fine. Its safer in a holster than out.
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
On the rackin a round vs flipping off the saftey... If you have a weapon with a manual safety (I have a Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact), with practice, you can disengage that safety as your hand slides down onto the weapon to pull it out of it's holster. You can take the best of the best and i'll bet I can turn off my safety, unholster and fire a round before someone can unholster, rack a round and then fire.

I would never carry a firearm (for protection or on duty) without a round chambered.
Racing_Master

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racing_MasterSend a Private Message to Racing_MasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NickD3.4:

its completely safe to carry a Glock Chambered. Like anything else, this a case of neglect. That was a poor choice of holster for this weapon, and one should inspect the holster they choose to use with a safe action pistol. As an officer, you are taught never go anywhere half cocked. If you are carrying a weapon it should always be ready to go bang with a trigger pull. If you are serious about self defense, never carry a weapon with the safety on and never carry a weapon with a round not chambered. You can, but it would be unwise, as this would greatly put you at a disadvantage. Glocks are combat pistols that require an experienced operator to handle and be confident with. In my opinion, if you lack the confidence to carry a weapon on fire with a round chambered, and must have a safety or no round chambered to feel comfortable, perhaps you should rethink carrying a weapon at all. Always use a safe and proper holster. The one in this pic is cut way short of the trigger housing and should never have had that kind of ability in motion to get in their.

I am only doubting the M1911 to carry "Cocked and locked" because I heared the grip safety can fail... that and a .45 cal round might not feel good at close range. I hear its safe, so I plan on getting one. I just might only carry it loaded and ready to go when I feel where I am going is unsafe. if I am just going to a friends house or just somewhere that there is slim to no possibility of encountering a bad situation I would have the barrel loaded but the hammer down, so it cant go boom.
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

On the rackin a round vs flipping off the saftey... If you have a weapon with a manual safety (I have a Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact), with practice, you can disengage that safety as your hand slides down onto the weapon to pull it out of it's holster. You can take the best of the best and i'll bet I can turn off my safety, unholster and fire a round before someone can unholster, rack a round and then fire.

I would never carry a firearm (for protection or on duty) without a round chambered.

thats you choice if you want to carry a weapon with the safety on, but I would highly advise against it.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock