Started on: 05-30-2011 07:40 AM
Replies: 54
Last post by: JazzMan on 06-03-2011 12:42 PM
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Fear not, for after my supper, the gas will be flowing freely. Feel free to pump as much of it as you like.
IP: Logged
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShadowHawk:

thank you, my thoughts exactly

a lil something called common sense.... or courtesy

Yep, gotta agree with you.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Gas is fungible, which means every gallon that's produced is bought. Not pumping at CITGO is irrelevant, they'll still sell every gallon they make. Want to make a real difference? Stop buying gas. If a few percent of the regular purchasers of gas in this country were to reduce consumption using a variety of means such as carpooling, trip planning (combined errands, etc), and simply just drove less, the price of oil and therefor gas would drop like a stone. That drop is what makes companies take notice.

It is relevant, but not in the way you suggest.
By not buying my gas at CITGO, my money isn't going to that company, and by extension Hugo Chavez. It wouldn't make an impact on CITGO, but it does allow me to control what companies/governments I personally support with my purchases.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
/\ /\ What he said. /\ /\
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2011 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

It is relevant, but not in the way you suggest.
By not buying my gas at CITGO, my money isn't going to that company, and by extension Hugo Chavez. It wouldn't make an impact on CITGO, but it does allow me to control what companies/governments I personally support with my purchases.

Except that most if not all the CITGO stations are actually American-incorporated, and Venezuela gets their money from selling gas to them, not to the end user. When you buy from anyone else they just buy the same gas from Venezuela and they still gets their money. This is true because there is no real unused capacity in the system. Every gallon made is sold, regardless of the brand names it goes through from Chavez to your tank.

And by the way, CITGO is indirectly owned by the people of Venezuela, not by Chavez who happens to be president at the moment. Also, the three refineries where American-sold CITGO gas is made are here in America, employing Americans. One unintended consequence of running CITGO out of the country, if that were even possible without damaging the entire US economy, would be the loss of several thousand high-quality jobs. But hey, what's a few thousand more unemployed Americans, eh? Casualties of war, or some such?

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 06-01-2011).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Good points, Jazz. It brings up arguments such as, which is the American car, a Honda made in Georgia, a Pontiac made in Australia, or a Chevy made in Canada?

And, as I already said,

Keep in mind that the Citgo stores themselves are locally owned franchises. It's the fuel franchise that's owned by Uncle Hugo.
Most gas stations are like that, only the parent company happens to be owned by a government instead of a corporation like Shell or Exxon.

Your refinery example contradicts your own fungible example.
If everyone in the US stopped buying Citgo gas, they'd just sell to other countries. If the US stopped buying from Venezuela, we'd buy more from Canada, OPEC or Russa, etc. Those "Citgo" refineries would refine oil from other sources since, as you correctly pointed out, every gallon made is sold. No jobs lost, they just change the Citgo sign for a BP or Exxon one.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 06-01-2011).]

ShadowHawk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2011 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post
Here are some pics from a Venezuelan run website called "Solo En Venezuela" aka "Only In Venezuela"

At least they can laugh at themselves

Funny, when you hear the phrase ONLY IN AMERICA only good and triumphant things come to mind

Yeah over there electronics is about a decade behind us for the majority of people. It is not uncommon to go into a home and find a 90s PC or an old Sega or Super Nintendo . Newer technology is through the roof when it comes to price.

With only three major cities in the whole country, crime in them is huge

[This message has been edited by ShadowHawk (edited 06-01-2011).]

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

And by the way, CITGO is indirectly owned by the people of Venezuela, not by Chavez who happens to be president at the moment. Also, the three refineries where American-sold CITGO gas is made are here in America, employing Americans. One unintended consequence of running CITGO out of the country, if that were even possible without damaging the entire US economy, would be the loss of several thousand high-quality jobs. But hey, what's a few thousand more unemployed Americans, eh? Casualties of war, or some such?

Wow now citgo is too big to fail?
There WAS a citgo station one block from our house. My parents always went there because it was cheaper. I did for a while but heard it was cheap gas, so I tried Amoco. Seemed like I got a little better mileage but I'd still go to citgo for convenience, there wasn't an Amoco that close to home. Later I heard about Chavez and stopped going to citgo for anything, that includes the convenience store and subway or whatever else they have had in there. I convinced my mom to try using Amoco gas, because of the chavez thing. She found that she was better fuel economy as well, and she has a long commute to and from work. She has been loyal to Amoco, (I stopped using Amoco after they were bought out by BP, I only use Mobil gas now.)
That citgo on the corner? It's now a BP.
IMO American companies should not be allowed to be purchased by foreign governments.
BlackEmrald

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldDirect Link to This Post
Even IF everyone on this forum never bought at Citgo ever again, it wouldn't be a drop in the bucket. It would make absolutely NO difference. So why bother trying to tell us where to buy gas?

------------------
1986 SE V6 Auto. 114K miles.
1995 F-150 4.9l Straight 6, Port and polished head, oversize valves, mild cam.

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackEmrald:

Even IF everyone on this forum never bought at Citgo ever again, it wouldn't be a drop in the bucket. It would make absolutely NO difference. So why bother trying to tell us where to buy gas?

Thats a pitch in and help attitude that made this Country. Just think if our forefathers thought that way
BlackEmrald

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldDirect Link to This Post
Haha, well I tend not to worry about what I can't control. I can't control where my 50 dollars for gas goes after I buy it. So why bring in politics into something that we can't control? Its just redundant to me.
PFF
System Bot
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShadowHawk:

DONT pump gas at CITGO

I don't.

There are very few boycotts that I bother with, because if I joined every boycott I believe in, there would be no place for me to buy what I need. But this is an easy one for me, because there are other stations to get my gas from. I also don't go to BP, because of what they did - and are still doing - to the Gulf Coast people. I don't understand why anybody around here goes to those gas pumps.
ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2011 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post
In 200 years we've gone from "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" to "who cares lets fund people that actively hate us"

Im not even american born nor have the blood in me but I'm a citizen and I would die for this country the BEST GODAMN ONE ON THE PLANET.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-03-2011 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

Wow now citgo is too big to fail?

I didn't say that, your well-known reading comprehension issues are proven yet again.

I wish you'd put some effort into reading what I write before responding with inane, inaccurate replies.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-03-2011 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

JazzMan

18612 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Your refinery example contradicts your own fungible example.

Incorrect.

Here's how it works:

Oil: Venezuela --> tanker --> Citgo refiner --> distribution --> Citgo store --> sale

Money: Citgo store --> bank --> Citgo refiner --> bank --> Citgo Venezuela

Here's what happens if you buy from anyone else besides Citgo:

Oil: Venezuela --> tanker --> Citgo refiner --> distribution --> non-Citgo store --> sale

Money: non-Citgo store --> bank --> Citgo refiner --> bank --> Citgo Venezuela

Note, it's not practical to ship gasoline to other countries, that's why the oil is refined here and not there. So, the oil from Venezuela still arives here, Venezuela still gets the profits from selling the oil here, and about the only thing you could hope to accomplish is changing the sign out in front of the refineries. Your stated goal is to keep Venezuelan oil out of this country, and you will have failed at that regardless of your success in changing the sign's name.

Want to make a difference? Reduce the amount of fuel you consume. If enough people did that, and it wouldn't take much, then suddenly there's enough surplus capacity for a boycott to work. Venezuela is the fourth largest source of imported oil Oil Import List. The list of countries feeding us oil is lengthy: List.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock