Started on: 04-08-2011 12:17 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: GTGeff on 04-09-2011 07:01 PM
Uaana

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
For those of you in the Metro TC area.
No more working on cold garage floors in the middle of winter!

http://firstgeargarage.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Uaana:

For those of you in the Metro TC area.
No more working on cold garage floors in the middle of winter!

http://firstgeargarage.com

Nice concept. Hopefully a shop like this does well
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Some people here in town were thinking about opening one, and I've thought about it in the past, but it's a liability nightmare.
I hope they do well. It's definitely something people can use.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post
The movie Christine...that was one of those places.

My Dad purchased a old car from one of these in San Francisco, it was neat that there was a place where guys could show up and work of cars where garages are rare.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Some people here in town were thinking about opening one, and I've thought about it in the past, but it's a liability nightmare.
I hope they do well. It's definitely something people can use.

We had one when we lived in Worcester, MA but like you said it was a liability nightmare and didn’t last long because of it.

Well that and the stupidity of the people who used it. Like these ricer guys know it all but can’t do anything right.

Hope it works out for you guys, I tend to call a friend who has a big shop and lift when I have something I don’t want to do something here or need his help. Like trany work.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
Stopped in to visit during lunch. Not a bad layout.. Get the vibe this might be a rich guys hobby business. Two "company" vehicles outside. One was a Porsche GT3..

Overall, for basic stuff to probably an engine pull has just about everything.. Minus tuning gear/analytic tools.

I've got a headlight swap I'll probably be doing after work and have decided to do it there instead of screwing around in the driveway.

Edit to correct.. They've got tuning gear and diagnostic tools, they just weren't readily visible when I took the .5c tour.
So if anything sounded negative, don't take it that way. Really a great place and a nice bunch of guys.

[This message has been edited by Uaana (edited 04-08-2011).]

SonataInFSharp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SonataInFSharpSend a Private Message to SonataInFSharpDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

We had one when we lived in Worcester, MA but like you said it was a liability nightmare and didn’t last long because of it.

Well that and the stupidity of the people who used it. Like these ricer guys know it all but can’t do anything right.

Eh, we don't have much of a ricer scene around here; at least I haven't noticed it.
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
That is awesome.... I wish I had something like that around here. I would be at this place like weekly.. haha
Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
Well that went great! Great guys, nice place.
It's like renting your own dream garage for a few hours.

*They're not rich, just love cars.

I will deff be back!

[This message has been edited by Uaana (edited 04-08-2011).]

GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffDirect Link to This Post

I took the tour a couple of Fridays ago as I only live about 2 miles from them. I was impressed. Very clean and nice array of basic and dianogistic tools available. They can also help with having parts ordered and waiting for you. May use them when I need a lift for small project and PR's bays are full.

I drove the Formula over so we got into the whole Fiero talk. One of the attendants owned one at one time. They asked me if I was involved in the Tyler Build.
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
dang i wish where i live had something like that. all the tools you can think of to make the job easy and faster i hate modifying tools or rigging something up just to get at a bolt
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

We used to have places like that here in Vancouver... about 30 years ago from what I can remember.

As mentioned several times already, a liability nightmare.
Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
BTW from what I got from the guys, the Liability issue died after the first year of running a safe business. Ins rate dropped like 50%
Didn't get too into details.. but ya, the first year sounds like liability ins is a bear, but after that if you run a safe shop rates drop quite a bit ?50%?

I'm honestly interested in this, like many of you always paranoid about the liability issue.. but going to talk to a few ppl.. might be an opportunity to open a second location. (about the only thing I see as an issue for them currently.. they're in an outer burb.) But love the biz model.. focus on the savings of do it yourself. Gear heads always know where to go.. Working parent who just got nailed with a $500 estimate.. that's who you want

[This message has been edited by Uaana (edited 04-09-2011).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post04-09-2011 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
wish we had those here
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post04-09-2011 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by joshh44:

dang i wish where i live had something like that. all the tools you can think of to make the job easy and faster i hate modifying tools or rigging something up just to get at a bolt

Id be willing to bring my own tools if they would just offer a roof, electricity and a lift. My garage is too small to work in so I'm banished to the driveway.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
We had those when I was in the Army. They were great! Mechanics were on staff to give advice as needed. All the tools and supplies were on hand to be rented or bought. You rented a bay by the hour or day and you could do anything on the car except weld.

I think that such a concept should work well in urban areas where a lot of people don't have garages or they have home owner associations that prevent them from working on their cars.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
That is a really cool idea. Not for me obviously as I don't fix things.

------------------
I been had money.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
We've had one in Calgary for years. Came in very handy before I had my own garage.

Lifts, body shop and paint booth too. http://www.u-wrench.ca/

A few years back, Voytek and Flashy had their cars painted here.
They did all their own prep at home, bought their paint, and had an experienced sprayer shoot their cars for $300.
Both of them bought Corvettes (yellow of course) and have left the Fiero family.

Voytek's https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...031110-1-026548.html

Flashy https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...031110-1-032184.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-09-2011).]

Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
Well for now just for the MN Metro crowd :P
From what the guy said there has already been a couple of Fiero's sniffing around.. Someone with a Vett motor?
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Uaana:

Well for now just for the MN Metro crowd :P
From what the guy said there has already been a couple of Fiero's sniffing around.. Someone with a Vett motor?

That would be me and the Stinger. Haven't taken it in yet, but need to work on the remote oil filter leak.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock