OTR or travelers, I-70 or I-80? by ALLTRBO
Started on: 04-02-2011 06:30 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: ALLTRBO on 04-03-2011 02:14 PM
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2011 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
I'm driving from the DC area (College Park, MD) to Northern CO (Ft. Collins) and back starting this coming Wednesday and the two major interstates I can take most of the way are I-70 and I-80 (or a combination of the two). I plan on Wed-Fri there and Mon-Wed back, daytime only.

Key here is shortest time, which usually means least traffic, and they both go through some major cities. I don't care about scenery (it's all scenery), landscape, or fuel costs. Weather forecast looks okay for both routes so far, little rain, no snow.

Any input?

And no, I'm not driving a Fiero (I'm not that hard-core anymore... hah!), but we will see how well my wife and I still like the 5thgen Camaro after a 3500 mile round trip in 8 days.

------------------

'88 Fiero GT - Project MIDTRBO
'10 Camaro LT/RS - daily driver
'96 Talon TSi AWD - 11-second winter beater
There's no replacement for turbo placement

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 04-02-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2011 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
I-70 for sure.

Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2011 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Skip em both and take I-74 Going through Indiana on I-74 is wonderful, some of the best road in the country that I've ever been on

Not to mention no tolls thru the Midwest (at least up to Iowa, where I got on, AFAIK), unlike I-80.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2011 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
I-70 is the better route.....and I've taken both numerous times.

I used to live up in Fort Collins.....are you or someone you know going to CSU or are you just visiting? Either way, have fun on your trip. The weather has been great here.....about 80* today! I think it'll be more normal next week though, so probably mid 50's to low 60's.
2birds

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2birdsSend a Private Message to 2birdsDirect Link to This Post
I-70 by far. Been there, done both routes, numerous times. In and out of my Fiero. Gettysburg to Cedar Rapids annually for many years, but also to points farther west a few times.

Ohio still sucks. Speed traps all over. So does the PA turnpike portion (yawn). KC is easy, St Louis is easy, Indy is easy, Columbus is easy. Chicago sucks. Did I mention Ohio sucks no matter which route you're on? I-80 has Chicago, tolls, and traffic is heavier all the way to Des Moines, IMHO. After that, I-80 is a ghost town.
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Nevermind, due to unforeseen circumstances I have to fly out instead.

Thanks for the advice, I'll remember that I-70 is the way to go when I drive out there next.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock