Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Aw man--I forgot to turn my outside flood lights off.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Aw man--I forgot to turn my outside flood lights off. by maryjane
Started on: 03-27-2011 12:34 AM
Replies: 20
Last post by: 2.5 on 03-28-2011 02:04 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Does this mean I simply don't care about Earth Hour?

(yep--that's exactly what it means--I participated enough during the 16 days without power after Hurricane Ike)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
faaaaq

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post
i have no idea what you are talking about so obviously i care less. i win?
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by faaaaq:

i have no idea what you are talking about so obviously i care less. i win?

Hahaha! Good answer.

I do know what he's talking about, but danged if I knew it was that time of the year again. Or if I'd do much about it. Saving the maybe 25 watt/hours or so that I would by turning off all our lights(all CFL) wouldn't make much of a difference. Besides which, I slept through it.
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post
so...we were just supposed to turn off auxiliary lighting?
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
No. You were supposed to turn of all lights and sit in the dark for an hour. Those who do this sort of thing are used to being the dark, so it wasn't a real change.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
Does this mean I simply don't care about Earth Hour?

You tell us. Can you say three "Hail Al Gore''s and refrain from sinning again ?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I have 3 outdoor flood lights. They stay on all the time. They are on a day/nite sensor, so theyre even on some days its overcast, for 24 hours. I dont care about enviroment crap. I dont throw trash out the car window is my extent. All my home & business trash goes in one dumpster. Scrap metal guy does pick up scrap body sheet metal.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post
Meh. I'm not going to go out of my way and go hug trees, but at the same time I dislike unecessary waste or doing unecessary things that aren't good for the environment. Like throwing tires on a fire just for the hell of it or throwing antifreeze down the drain. I even set up recyling bins for our condo complex (Took all of one phone call and cost us about $2/month per suite). If it's no skin off my back, I'll be "environmentally responsible". If I had to go off-propery to deal with my recyling, it'd be in the trash can instead.

On the other hand, I can't stand all the hippy, tree-hugging preachers around here. They're worse than religious nuts pushing their crap down your throat. I think I'll go out and burn tires just to spite them...grr. It should be legal to beat people who try pushing their opinion on you.

Anyway, I run CFLs and turn things off when I'm not using them because I'm frugal and don't want to pay any more on my hydro bill than I need to. I have no qualms about using gallons of hot water that I don't have to pay for!

Edit: To each their own!

[This message has been edited by Stubby79 (edited 03-27-2011).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I turned on every light in the house for earth hour.

16 days w/o power, Don? That should cover you for the next 384 earth hours.
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post
I went 3+ months without power...so am I covered for missing this earth hour? Lol
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

No. You were supposed to turn of all lights and sit in the dark for an hour. Those who do this sort of thing are used to being the dark, so it wasn't a real change.

Yeah, but most of them were probably tweeting about their eco-consciousness on their Macbook or iPhone, and totally missing the irony.
PFF
System Bot
isthiswhereiputausername?

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post
I forgot about it this year to look outside at the other houses, but last year we were the only house in the neighborhood that was lit up lol
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

I turned on every light in the house for earth hour.

A previous statement made by you:

Ok, so you've given up and not only decided to not spend the time and effort to save the planet, but you now want to spend extra effort to destroy it, and make a post about it to tell everyone.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/079740.html

Somehow I am sure you will find a way to say what you did is different.

ROFL

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 03-27-2011).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I make no bones regarding my concern for the natural environment.

Are you green? Trying to reduce your carbon footprint?
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
middle finger earth hour
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
We didn't do our part http://www.calgaryherald.co...n/4510741/story.html

I made sure I had everything on: lights, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, home theater.
Hell, with all that racket, might as well vacuum the house too!

Earth Hour came about as a result of people NOT wanting to participate in Earth DAY - where you'd be expected to "do without" the modern conveniences for an entire day.

Earth Hour is only one small step beyond Slacktivism, the kind of protest you express by changing your Facebook status to show you support cancer research but doesn’t require a donation, or putting a Free Tibet bumper sticker on your car without sending the Tibetans bullets.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
I am vehemently against government legislation mandating us to move towards a greener environment, I prefer to allow Capitalism to do so.

We HAVE to rely on non-government, non-regulating initiatives like this to encourage us to make better decisions, rather than having the government force us to do so (like banning incandescent bulbs).

I am encouraged by programs like this, and other conservatives should also support these initiatives. If we don't take it upon ourselves to do what we can, the government will step in and require it... (which never works out in anyone's benefit).

For the record, I don't believe in global warming. But by reducing our overall electrical and water consumption, it saves us ALL money in lower bills, and the likely-hood that we won't need to build more plants unless absolutely necessary.

I'm all for the government giving tax breaks... but I am completely against mandating...

We should all support this... even if it was started by a bunch of hippies that drive VW Busses that are more damaging to the environment than our Fieros.

(yeah, I know... my wife has a VW Bus...)
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

We didn't do our part http://www.calgaryherald.co...n/4510741/story.html

I made sure I had everything on: lights, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, home theater.
Hell, with all that racket, might as well vacuum the house too!

Earth Hour came about as a result of people NOT wanting to participate in Earth DAY - where you'd be expected to "do without" the modern conveniences for an entire day.

Earth Hour is only one small step beyond Slacktivism, the kind of protest you express by changing your Facebook status to show you support cancer research but doesn’t require a donation, or putting a Free Tibet bumper sticker on your car without sending the Tibetans bullets.

Hey, I think I saw your house, FieroSound.

In all seriousness, Earth Hour is just ANOTHER failed liberal idea. The stress placed upon the power grid by people powering back on all their appliances ends up costing far more energy than that saved by power things down for the hour.

[This message has been edited by loafer87gt (edited 03-28-2011).]

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-28-2011 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Another political masturbation fest by the usual suspects. Color me surprised.

Expecting some people to change their behavior is like expecting feces to suddenly stop stinking...

On another note, I was completely unaware of this "earth hour" thing, but would not have done a single thing different had I known. Why not? Simple: I already conserve electricity use pretty strongly. Why? I like getting electric bills as low as $5. Note, that's not a typo. Five dollars. My highest bill so far was for February when temps got to the single digits and stayed below freezing for over a week, along with two ice/snow storms. $74. My friends had bills in the $300-600 range. I put most of what I didn't give the electric company in savings, and bought some good movie with the rest.

Am I an "eco-weenie" or some other derogatory term preferred by some? Nope. I just don't like spending money for non-tangible things. It's like paying rent, someone else gets to keep the physical value. I am a frugal and thrifty person, something I got from my parents and they from theirs who lived through the Great Depression. Just because I can waste doesn't mean I have to, or even should want to.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I also have on at least 4 or 5 tvs throughout the house 24 hours a day. Id hate to miss something going from one room to the next. I only bother to turn off my shop air compressor if im going to be gone for 12 hours or more. I hear it kick on occasionally during the nite and yet I still dont panic.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-28-2011).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Wonder what it means if I never even heard of earth hour.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock