Started on: 03-02-2011 02:05 AM
Replies: 134
Last post by: twofatguys on 01-28-2012 07:59 PM
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
We don't separate our food by the day- we end up eating more some days, less on others, particularly gorp or other "on the trail" foods. We would end up opening the bags anyway. We always carry, store and hang our food in a lightweight waterproof stuffsack. Before we hang it for the night, we also put our toothpaste, trash and anything else that bears or mice might find interesting.

http://www.backpackinglight...nging_technique.html

We've used the PCT method they discuss, but it's easy to screw up. We ended up dragging the bags down with a long stick.
IP: Logged
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2011 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Here is a neat little alcohol stove. Now me if I were you I would just get 151 rum or everclear for those cold nights so you could cook your food with it as well as warm your tummy.

http://www.industrialrev.com/alcohol-burner.html

They also have sporks and other camping gear as well.

Steve

Tried some different types of alcohol tonight, Bacardi 151 was the best, but gave off an odor when burning. I will probably just stick with alcohol as it is simple, and a lot cheaper. Even the Bacardi didn't seem to be as warm burning as rubbing alcohol. Results may be better if I drank the failed alcohols (Vodka, Captain Morgan, etc.)

All tested in current "real world" setups as much as I can. Last winter I had no issues burning the stove in -10 degree temperatures with rubbing alcohol.

Brad
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2011 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
What's the latest? Or is there another thread I didn't know about?
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2011 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Hey Brad... you dead mon?
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2011 05:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
I'm not dead, just taking a needed break. Work, and other stuff got too heavy to have to deal with "extra" stress so I am taking a leave from PFF for a bit.

Brad
WhiteDevil88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2011 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

I'm not dead, just taking a needed break. Work, and other stuff got too heavy to have to deal with "extra" stress so I am taking a leave from PFF for a bit.

Brad

Hope you feel better soon.

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2011 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure where to start, but here goes.
Lately I have been trying to keep my problems close, and not spread them out among the forum. I'm sure everyone gets tired of the "pity me" threads that are posted here, and perhaps I was wrong to hold back. I was getting bitter, and being generally pissy constantly. For that I want to apologize.

Here is what is happening here.

A few months ago we took custody of a one year old, it is still up for debate as to whether or not this was a joint decision between the wife and I, but non the less there is a kid here that relies on me to make sure there is food in front of him, and clean diapers ready for him to soil again. He was originally supposed to be in our custody (according to what I was told) for a month or so, but December will be 6 months, and with his mother in prison for 4 years I don't see the situation changing anytime soon.

I am working, as I have been for the past 6 months or so. Unfortunately I am stuck in this black hole where I am considered "temporary" and cannot obtain full time status since the company I am working for enacted a "hiring freeze" right before I was to be full time. I am still working, and get 40+ hours a week, but every day I go to work not knowing if it will be my last day or not. I also get none of the benefits of a full time employee, holiday pay, the holiday bonuses, medical, and I make 4 dollars less an hour than the other people that do the same job I do. Once I lose my job I likely will not be eligible for unemployment since I am considered "temporary". The company I work for has steadily been firing people over the past month, and though I am off in a corner out of sight, and there is nobody to replace me currently, that hasn't stopped them from letting others go.

There are also a few more "personal" things going on that I will leave alone for now.

As of right now I am still going on the hike, though to be honest at this point I'm not sure how. I am still ordering supplies, and making things to take, including food, clothing, and a few other "surprise" projects. I have an electronic scale, and have everything weighed, and am slowly cutting the weight down as much as possible, sometimes less than an ounce at a time. I'll start posting the charts I have of this stuff shortly.

I may end up moving my leave date into mid March if I am still working. Though in all honesty I am thinking that if I lose my job I will just go as soon as possible, I'll be in snow either way. I half expect to be let go right before Christmas to "tie a ribbon on this year."

I think it's time for a question answer session.

Anyone?

Brad
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2011 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Best wishes Brad.
Sounds like things are going well. Perhaps not great but definitely not bad. Good things will come, rather I should say better things wills come which are good.
My understanding, should it actually come to it, is that you would be eligible for unemployment benefits.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2011 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Best wishes Brad.
Sounds like things are going well. Perhaps not great but definitely not bad. Good things will come, rather I should say better things wills come which are good.
My understanding, should it actually come to it, is that you would be eligible for unemployment benefits.

Unemployment will be a 50/50 shot if I do lose my job. It really depends on how my current situation is interpreted by whomever gets the paperwork.

What stinks is I turned down a decent full time job that would have been way more stable for this job, because I was told this job would be full time. The other just was closer to home, but paid 3 dollars less an hour in the end. Either way... I just need to hang on for around three more months.

Brad
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2011 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
I got my rain gear in today. This will also double as my windbreaker/ top layer jacket to help retain heat.

I went with the Frogg Togg "street" rainsuit. I think it's one size too big, but I was told that was needed for when I am wearing several layers under it.

There is also a hood there, rolled up in the collar.
The top weighs in at 11.01 Ounces, and the bottoms at 9.07 ounces. A little bit over the 14 ounce total I was told, but I think the larger size has much to do with that.

Total spent on rain gear, 18 dollars shipped, and I still have one more coupon for 10 dollars off!

In the next few days I should be getting more things in, making me feel a little better, and getting me closer to the start.

Brad

Edit to add: I need to thank whomever shared the link for 5 coats for 20 dollars. Because I joined the club The Sportsmans Guide is going to save me several hundred dollars in needed gear, from food to clothing. An awesome place. They had this raingear set listed at 38 dollars with the "members" 10% off, and I was able to use a 20 dollar off+ free shipping coupon making the price 18 bucks. Meanwhile I still have a 10 dollar coupon for a normal purchase, as well as two other 10 dollar off coupons for larger purchases (over 99 dollars.)

[This message has been edited by twofatguys (edited 11-25-2011).]

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2011 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
My wife and I are talking about things, and changes may be coming. Being responsible (even when you didn't ask to be) sucks.

Brad
PFF
System Bot
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2011 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
I think we all know what you mean in one way or another. I have made plans for similar big events, but life happened and changed my plans. I rolled with it and made adjustments, and then life happened even more and made me wonder how I was going to do it. And then something else happened and made me realize I couldn't do it, period. Lotsa fun. Yeah.

Sorry for all that's happening to you, whatever that may be.
We'll wait as long as it takes. Do what you gotta do.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2011 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
OK, things are changing, I've moved the date of the hike.....13 months ahead.

So now it's set for March of 2013

This should give me even more time to prepare, cut into the gear, and lighten the load even more. Prepare more food, and save more money.

I could lie and say that this was all my idea, but it's not something I want to do, just something I have to do.

If I simply loved my wife I would still be leaving this February, as it is I cherish her, and I have to put her needs above my dreams.

I will fill my days off this year with hiking more trails around here. We don't have a lot in this area, but there are some within a 2 hour drive.

I've also set a goal weight loss for this time next year, smaller size for me means less weight in clothing.

Brad
rstubie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2011 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rstubieSend a Private Message to rstubieDirect Link to This Post
Brad you need to check the labor laws in your state. I believe if you work over 32 hours you are considered full time and have to be offered benefits by law. You also would be elligible for unemployment. Hopefully you have a good record of your hours and employment history. Good luck.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
One of the "bonuses" to losing my job is that I have more free time. It's been 8 months since I have had a day off where I wasn't recovering from work, or getting ready for work the next day. In general I've spent the past several months too worn out to do "extra" stuff.

Today I went on my first hike in a long time. Even though it was only a day hike I took my complete pack, and a few meals just so I knew what I was dealing with.

I left fairly early, and spent the day walking. Starting temperature was 26 degrees, and I was wearing a base layer thermal shirt, a short sleeved poly shirt, and my Frogg Toggs jacket to block the wind. Pants were a pair of BDU's, socks and my hiking boots. I was warm enough with the jacket, but couldn't do without it because of the cold wind.

Man I am out of shape. I walked around 10 miles before getting back to the car and heading home.

The pack itself isn't bad, but I can tell already that I am going to have to be very organized if I want to make it. There was an issue with the pack holding my bottle of water in its cup holder, but I think I have that fixed. I need to "add" a few mesh pockets up front for common things so I don't have to remove the pack whenever I need a look at the map, the phone rings, or a quick snack, and I want to mount a compass to one hiking pole, and a camera mount to the other.

There are still a lack of seats in the woods. I couldn't help but notice that. Hopefully as I get into better shape I will get past being willing to sell my soul for a bench to sit on every few miles.

I took some pictures, but they are on the phone all the way on the other side of the living room, and this couch is sooooo comfortable right now.

Brad
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock