Started on: 03-02-2011 02:05 AM
Replies: 134
Last post by: twofatguys on 01-28-2012 07:59 PM
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

May I say something about cell phones with GPS apps.

First off, it is a dam cell phone and great in the city but not in the country. Fewer cell towers. And with fewer cell towers the phone ain’t going to work. The gps works off cell towers not GPS satellites. So why would it work in the woods with no cell service?

Sorry, but that is incorrect. While most smart phones can and do use cell towers for rough geolocation, many (if not most) also have GPS satellite receivers integrated. I know for a fact my Droid does. The problem is, that by and large, your comment about city use is still accurate, which is why I complained about the GPS feature on my recent trip. I just don't think the receiver is sensitive enough to grab a lock on enough satellites to be any good with trees and mountains and clouds. Additionally, with the Android anyway, it primarily uses Google maps, which *does* require data service to work. You can't really save the maps to the phone. So you have to use a third party app, which is fine, but they're expensive. Plus, like I said, for back-woods use, the program I tried was the best from what I saw, and while the software might have been good, the phone's GPS capabilites lacked enough that overall it was worthless.
IP: Logged
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
As Taji said, most phones with GPS capability actually have a GPS receiver for satellite positioning.

They also use Assisted GPS or aGPS for short. This is triangulation from a cell tower or towers.

The other issue you will run into on the trail is that a lack of signal during the trek will cause a cell phone to drain itself, quite quickly while it keeps trying to connect.

Use a dedicated GPS device with pathing, waypoints, etc. Pre-plan your trips, and I am sure you could most likely find the coordinates for the way stations along the way so you can pre-program and set goals for yourself.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

The other issue you will run into on the trail is that a lack of signal during the trek will cause a cell phone to drain itself, quite quickly while it keeps trying to connect.

Is that why the battery life on my cell ph when I'm in the house has such a short battery life just sitting on my desk?
(no service due to lost sig inside)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 08-09-2011).]

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Is that why the battery life on my cell ph when I'm in the house has such a short battery life just sitting on my desk?
(no service due to lost sig inside)

How bad is your signal? Do you get no/few bars regularly?

Is it a smart phone and do you have Wireless internet?
My Android phone will kill the battery in an hour if it sees an access point and does not connect to it.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Bad
I get 1/2 bar no matter where I am on my property.
It's a cheap no frills $30 LG phone--just a basic voice phone.
No wireless--no dsl--no nothin.

Daylight is piped in here and I think there is an undiscovered native tribe out in the brush.
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

That was one problem I was partly able to overcome. I installed some apps on my Droid, one of them being a small task bar across the top that lets me easily turn the various functions off and on. So I was able to easily put it in and out of airplane mode, which helped with the battery. But on the three day hike just using the gps I still poured through 3 fully charged batteries. Phone GPS aside from being junk, just kills batteries.

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

May I say something about cell phones with GPS apps.

First off, it is a dam cell phone and great in the city but not in the country. Fewer cell towers. And with fewer cell towers the phone ain’t going to work. The gps works off cell towers not GPS satellites. So why would it work in the woods with no cell service?

A good satellite phone with GPS isn’t that much more expensive than what you guys are paying for your new fangled phones.

Now I could be wrong, I was, once I think but I could be wrong, then in that case this would be a first.

But when you get out of cell phone range why would you even think that a cell phone would work with a GPS app?

Steve

Yea..Your Wrong I'll explain how I am 100% right at the end of this.

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

Sorry, but that is incorrect. While most smart phones can and do use cell towers for rough geolocation, many (if not most) also have GPS satellite receivers integrated. I know for a fact my Droid does. The problem is, that by and large, your comment about city use is still accurate, which is why I complained about the GPS feature on my recent trip. I just don't think the receiver is sensitive enough to grab a lock on enough satellites to be any good with trees and mountains and clouds. Additionally, with the Android anyway, it primarily uses Google maps, which *does* require data service to work. You can't really save the maps to the phone. So you have to use a third party app, which is fine, but they're expensive. Plus, like I said, for back-woods use, the program I tried was the best from what I saw, and while the software might have been good, the phone's GPS capabilites lacked enough that overall it was worthless.

Your kinda wrong too.

That was one problem I was partly able to overcome. I installed some apps on my Droid, one of them being a small task bar across the top that lets me easily turn the various functions off and on. So I was able to easily put it in and out of airplane mode, which helped with the battery. But on the three day hike just using the gps I still poured through 3 fully charged batteries. Phone GPS aside from being junk, just kills batteries.

Android comes with that built in now. Making it a useless point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, here goes.

I have an android phone that a guy gave me to "unlock" and Root. I did both, and he disappeared. After a few months now I have an android phone.

I do not currently use it as a cell phone (except through Google voice, Google how to do that if you are curious) I actually have the cellular part shut off 100% of the time, mainly to save battery.

The GPS does figure out where you are faster with the cellular service turned on, but it still does fine with the GPS on it's own, well enough that I can Geocache with it, or use it for turn by turn direction to wherever I am driving.

By the time I go I will have cellular service on a smart phone (not necessarily this phone). I will also have an actual map service loaded onto it, probably Rand Mcnally. I could use Google Maps, but there are issues with it if the phone shuts off where it would have to have a decent internet connection to reload all the details , which it will be off most of the time. You can save maps to Google Maps, and use them with no cellular, or internet connection, But it's not a solid bet, things get lost, and Google maps take a lot of room on the phone.

I can save battery life by having the phone off 99% of the time. I don't use the phone a lot now, I only plan on needing to use the GPS part a few times during the trip, and mainly just have it for emergencies.

I've tested the phone against my Microsoft GPS, a car GPS, and a standalone "wilderness" GPS a friend purchased for a hundred bucks that is not even a color screen. It was just as accurate as all but the wilderness one, which wouldn't zoom in as close as the one on my phone. I've also tested it in the woods, and it seems to work fine, it will not work at work however because the building blocks GPS signal. Outside I usually pick up 6+ satellites.

Brad
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Hey, I just found a show on the Documentary channel called Trail Angels. The description says "The heroes who help hikers of the Appalachian Trail" I already missed half of it and I can't watch much but it looks interesting. Sorry if this is a repost.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

Hey, I just found a show on the Documentary channel called Trail Angels. The description says "The heroes who help hikers of the Appalachian Trail" I already missed half of it and I can't watch much but it looks interesting. Sorry if this is a repost.

I'll have to try and get that on the DVR. Thanks.

Brad
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

twofatguys

16465 posts
Member since Jul 2004
I just ordered a pair of pants to try out.

Actual BDU's, Ripstop pants. 20 bucks.

I looked up hiking pants, and almost lost it. Who in their right mind pays that much for pants? I saw 50-100 bucks as the norm, and that was before shipping.

Back when I was younger and active I had several pair of bdu's. I wore them canoeing, hiking, and working. I remember them breathing, being comfortable, and versatile.

20 bucks is pretty much my limit on pants, if there was an actual surplus store closer to me I would be buying them in person and saving a little more.

Anyway, I am going to look at some solar stuff today too. I also need to talk to my sister about getting an entire cow turned into hamburger, minus a few roasts for jerky. The main issue with doing this is storage until I get everything cooked and dehydrated.

Brad

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

twofatguys

16465 posts
Member since Jul 2004
Taijiguy, I did some looking, and Frogg Togg has been around for quite awhile. I also found them in Cabella's 2008 catalog.

The pair I am looking at weighs in at 11.6 ounces for the pant and jacket together. That seems to be the standard weight for each style.

I also re-read a few things to make sure I didn't miss anything, and I'm still planning on going with Frogg Toggs. The price, weight, and comfort are just right for me.

Brad
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
OK so cell phones are now dedicated GPS devises, something I did not know. But something you should know, they, GPS devises can be miles off. Ya sure they are accurate to within a few yards. Tell that to those guys in the campers up on my hill looking for the campground down the road at least a ÂĽ mile down the road.

Now that’s not a big deal in the big city where there are street signs, well the ones that haven’t been stolen. But out in the woods that just might get you lost. Remember those threads I started about the inaccuracies of these GPS devices.
All those campers who pulled into my driveway thinking it was the campground depended on their GPS’s.

Then of course you are going to say but mine is right. Mine is different, mine is better. Well I hate to tell you this but they all use the same mapping company so if the 3 or 4 different ones people used to get to that campground up the road are off, chances are yours is to.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

I agree Steve, there are many problems with GPS still. Up until last year a major local road was about 3 miles from where the GPS said it was.

The GPS I am taking is more of a supplement. The AT is very well marked, and easy to see (trees on left, trees on right, trail in the middle) so I shouldn't need a map while on the trail.

The phone will also have besides GPS and maps the entire AT Guide on PDF, internet access (where available), and phone numbers. It doubles as a flashlight in a pinch, and can store needed survival information, First aid information, wild foods to eat, and pron...

It's a Swiss army phone lol.

The GPS can tell me how far I would need to go to the next town, hopefully where a local logging road is to get to that town. I will still have a page for each section I am on printed out at home, and sent to me with the food. I won't be relying on technology alone. There are constant reports of different roads being closed due to flooding, fire, or just insanity, and people seem to have issues following the trail map in these cases.

The GPS map has the advantage of being able to zoom in farther than a map.

I've also been in other threads telling another member (pk) not to rely on a GPS alone, and back up with a paper map.

I have always used my own head for directions. I have a very good sense of direction, even in the woods. Like I said, it's like a bonus device.

Brad
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
You know what I would do then? Carry a fully charged spare battery if it does all that. You may find yourself running low on battery power if you don’t keep a spare on hand.

Steve

------------------

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

You know what I would do then? Carry a fully charged spare battery if it does all that. You may find yourself running low on battery power if you don’t keep a spare on hand.

Steve

I'll probably turn it on once or twice a week for a few minutes at a time, and I am building a solar charger for it. It's just there if I need it, not to use constantly.

Brad
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

I just ordered a pair of pants to try out.

Actual BDU's, Ripstop pants. 20 bucks.

I looked up hiking pants, and almost lost it. Who in their right mind pays that much for pants? I saw 50-100 bucks as the norm, and that was before shipping.

Back when I was younger and active I had several pair of bdu's. I wore them canoeing, hiking, and working. I remember them breathing, being comfortable, and versatile.

20 bucks is pretty much my limit on pants, if there was an actual surplus store closer to me I would be buying them in person and saving a little more.

Anyway, I am going to look at some solar stuff today too. I also need to talk to my sister about getting an entire cow turned into hamburger, minus a few roasts for jerky. The main issue with doing this is storage until I get everything cooked and dehydrated.

Brad

Pfftt. I've never paid more than 20 bucks a pair for my hiking pants, most of them less than that. ANd the last shirts I bought were about 5 bucks each (all brand name- Nike, Fila, etc) I have several pairs of "Guide" pants, all came from various discount online places. I think that's the problem you're having with pricing, you aren't hitting the discount/clearance places.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Pfftt. I've never paid more than 20 bucks a pair for my hiking pants, most of them less than that. ANd the last shirts I bought were about 5 bucks each (all brand name- Nike, Fila, etc) I have several pairs of "Guide" pants, all came from various discount online places. I think that's the problem you're having with pricing, you aren't hitting the discount/clearance places.

Cool beans, send me some links to these deals. I'm all for saving some money.

Brad
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Cool beans, send me some links to these deals. I'm all for saving some money.

Brad

Sure: http://tinyurl.com/3bgdexk
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Sure: http://tinyurl.com/3bgdexk

Dude, I'm not a complete idiot lol. I've searched quite a bit lately. Most of the "cheap" stuff I have found has been cotton, or had really bad reviews on the hiking forums, or the price went up to insane amounts once you got above the size an 80 lb midget would wear.

And I never have bought into the "it has a name brand so it's better" ideal. Typically it's the opposite, sheeple end up paying so much for a name, and get crap for workmanship. I am trying to methodically get everything I will need to live on for 6 months, I will basically be wearing, or carrying everything I take for 6 months, and I don't want something I will hate so I need to be able to "try" this stuff out before I get too much, or waste money.

On pants I was wanting a Poly/cotton blend with a ripstop fabric design. I would really like something that turns into shorts, but I am willing to make due with just pants as I rarely wear shorts now. The blend is because the way I see it, the Military has been doing this for years, as have the police. And if that's what they use, It has to be for a reason.

In any case, I appreciate the help, and I am paying attention to all the things you have said. I do have a few things I have already tested, and unless someone comes up with a dang good reason other than "a friend said", I will still do that stuff. In the end I have to hike my own hike, and I am the one that has to live with every item I put, or don't put in the bag. So please, keep helping, I need, and appreciate it. But please, don't think I am being an idiot, going into this blind, or refusing to use "common sense". I am trying to do this where in the end I will be comfortable, and hopefully not divorced. I try not to be "heads in the clouds" and remain realistic over all of this stuff.

Brad
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
OK, you lost me after saying you aren't a complete idiot.....

Nah, I was just being a smartass, you gotta know that by now. The problem with the discount sites is their inventory changes all the time. The best thing to do is sign up for their emails, they always send stuff out for big discounts on stuff. I looked back to see if I had any I could send you, but I guess I deleted them all. Anyway, if you watch the emails closely you'll find big discounts, free shipping, coupon codes, that sort of thing. We usually order stuff when it comes up in one of their emails. There's also a couple of web site that didn't come up on the search, I'll try to find them as the names are eluding me atm.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Something I have found when I buy things off the net. By the time you add in shipping you really ain’t saving that much if anything over buying it local. Plus buying it local you get to see, feel and look a lot more closely at just what you are getting.

Steve

------------------

PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Something I have found when I buy things off the net. By the time you add in shipping you really ain’t saving that much if anything over buying it local. Plus buying it local you get to see, feel and look a lot more closely at just what you are getting.

Steve

Right now I have a choice, pay for it on the internet, or drive for 3 hours to see if they have it in a store. Three hours is a rough estimate, and I'm betting I would have to go closer to 5 before I could get to a decent place. Despite getting some larger stores here, the outfitters are geared toward fishing and camping (one step below a motel type camping), and rarely carry what I need. There was a place in Joplin that wasn't great, but had quite a few of the things I needed, and was willing to order in other things. They blowed away in the Tornado and said they will rebuild, but that takes time.

Of course Bass Pro is here, but they are geared toward charging triple an items worth lol.

I thought about asking members in certain areas what they had around them, but that starts making it a pain in the butt for everyone.

Brad
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Well, not to dispute Steve's (I'm sure) VAST experience in buying backpacking and hiking gear online, but our experiences have always been great in dealing with the places we generally buy from. Shipping is usually free (or steeply discounted) and as I said, if you watch the ads, you'll get great prices on stuff. Most places also have very liberal return policies, even on the discounted stuff.

BTW, I confirmed it with Lori, and 50 bucks is fine for that stove. As for the various fuels, I can't really say, I've only used white gas with it.
Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post
I think all you are really missing on your list of equipment is this
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2011 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silentassassin185:

I think all you are really missing on your list of equipment is this

That there is made of testosterone.

Brad
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Brad I hope this comes out readable. I read this in our small town local paper that is not online so here goes nothing.

You will have to click on it to zoom but it is readable and a good article for you on your trip. Gives info on some rather nice points on the trail right here in Maine.

Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 08-20-2011).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2011 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

84fiero123

29950 posts
Member since Oct 2004
Here is a neat little alcohol stove. Now me if I were you I would just get 151 rum or everclear for those cold nights so you could cook your food with it as well as warm your tummy.

http://www.industrialrev.com/alcohol-burner.html

They also have sporks and other camping gear as well.

Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 08-20-2011).]

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Here is a neat little alcohol stove. Now me if I were you I would just get 151 rum or everclear for those cold nights so you could cook your food with it as well as warm your tummy.

http://www.industrialrev.com/alcohol-burner.html

They also have sporks and other camping gear as well.

Steve

That's a nice little stove, Brass to boot.

I think I will test and see if Vodka will burn as well as other fuels, it's a great idea. Vodka can be used to cook, disinfect, and for "other" uses.

Brad
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Obviously, as I've previously indicated, I would never carry an alcohol stove, but it appears as though that seems to be your preference. This website will give you some info on alcohol stoves and fuels. The writer reviews a number of commercially available stoves and gives boil times, etc. One bit of info he neglects is the altitude at which he conducted his tests which to me is quite relevant. You have to remember that the higher you get, the longer it will take for the water to boil.

http://art.simon.tripod.com/Stoves/

I much prefer our Jetboil to anything else I've used, and in fact on a couple of trips, I ended up boiling water for some folks with alcohol stoves as they just couldn't get their water to boil at all. I did have one issue on the trail with the Jetboil in the form of a failed igniter, but it was minor as I just used a match. I should have had a repair part on hand, that was my fault. (5 bucks for the repair kit)
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Stick with the higher proof alcohols, they burn better. In other words get the highest proof you can.

As far as Taijiguy’s ideas that I know nothing about backpacking. he has little knowledge of where I have been. Though he may like all that high-tech newfangled stuff. The only time you will really need a stove is when you are above the tree line or in areas that don’t allow campfires. Correct Taijiguy?
Now I could be wrong, I have never done the AP. Never wanted to. There are enough out of the way trails right here in Maine to keep me busy for when I went camping. And plenty of fire material in most all places I have ever gone. I do have an old friend who every year flew to Colorado to back pack into the high country to know that all the high tech in the world ain’t going to keep you alive if it won’t work. And the alcohol stove is the most dependable, my friend always carried one as a backup for when he went above the tree line.

Besides you don’t have to boil water all the time, hell even ramen noodle soup doesn’t have to be boiled to be eatable now does it. And when you are back packing just how much can you carry?
Money is great when you got it to burn for equipment and fuel. But when you don’t stick with the basic tried and true.
Steve

------------------

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2011 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Small bump, been working and staying pretty busy with general insanity around here.

Nothing really to add about the hike. I'm looking for many many packets of butter like you get at KFC if anyone has a lot handy.

I found a site searching that has "extras" for meals that I will be ordering from, but regular fattening butter is proving itself hard to find.

http://www.longlifefood.com/Spreads/products/1032/

Aside from stocking up on foods to survive off of I have been stockpiling about every packet of stuff I can get my hands on. I have ketchup, lots and lots of mayonnaise, mustard of all types, and assorted jelly's and such. I also have a lot of salsa, and "hot sauce" from various places including Taco Bell. I will use all of them I can as what I am reading says I will burn around 6,000 calories a day, and I'll want all the fattening stuff I can find, plus I need to add flavor to some things, and packets are light, and easy to carry.

Edit to add: Rachel found me a really nice aluminum cooking set at a local yard sale, Has 5 pieces, but no brand name, I am going to paint the bottom of the main one black and call that good. One of the pots becomes a lid on each one, it has a "pan" and a "pot" the pot holds about 3 cups of water (I'll have to check that), and a measuring cup. I'm probably going to just take the "pot" as I am just heating water in it, and not putting any actual food in the pot. I will keep the food in a vacuum sealed boil bag, and just add the water to it. no sense in having something extra to clean.

Brad

[This message has been edited by twofatguys (edited 09-10-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2011 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

twofatguys

16465 posts
Member since Jul 2004
And right now I am going through my meal plan, trying to simplify it a bit, lighten the meals some and make them easier all the way around.

Fun stuff.

Brad
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
So after much debate, and a LOT of help from a good friend (plus people on here, and Facebook) I have came up with a meal plan that I think will work for me.

I have 8 different "stock" dinners.

Make 23 of each, and randomly stick them into each days supply bag.

The different dinners are still being sorted out, I'm trying to get as much "bang" with each as I can.

The list, still changing as I find substitutes, or lighter food.

• Red beans and rice- The wife's recipe, but with the meat cut up to help in dehydrating it. 1 dry cup per meal.
  • Chinese spaghetti- This is what I am calling it, rice noodles instead of spaghetti noodles, dry tomato sauce packet (makes 1 cup), dehydrated cooked ground beef, dehydrated small pieces of peppers and onions, dehydrated mushroom slices, dehydrated tomato quarters Simmer in 1 1/4 cup of water for 5 minutes.
  • Spam mac N Cheese-Boxed mac n cheese with spam! I will be weighing the ingredients needed for both the dry powder kind (powdered milk, water, butter packets) compared to just the quick easy cheese sauce packet.
  • Chili Mac-Macaroni from above with dehydrated Chili, Wife's recipe.
  • Beef n Rice- This one keeps changing, I am open to any ideas on other meals for here.
  • Hamburger helper- Simple, boxes of different kinds of hamburger helper with dehydrated hamburger. Also can be chicken helper.
  • Lasagna- This is a recipe from a website that I have not tried yet, it could also change as I consider the recipe "noodles and sauce" and not lasagna.
  • Tacos- Soft taco shells (long shelf life) Dehydrated taco meat, Cheese, salsa packets.

Aside from all of this I will also have Ramen noodles for lunch, and I'm hoping to find more than just the 3 basic flavors that are available around here, spam (all around great food item), Vienna sausages, and other odds and ends, (energy bars, trail mix, assorted snacks)

By the time I get this all set up I may be substituting jerky for spam, and Vienna sausages, I like both, but they are heavy in their packaging.

Each day will be in a vacuum sealed bag that I can keep good until that day. I have considered using the setup like an MRE, and including toilet paper, wipes, and other supplies in this manner but I am not settled on that just yet.

The outer bag will hold the days meal that I cook in (in the pot) so the pot doesn't get dirty.

Thoughts?

Brad

Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
The problem with your meal plan that I can see is that you're still planning on using a stove. Particularly you''re considering s stove for lunch. You'll do that twice, maybe three times. I don't know anyone who cooks lunch, even on short two or three day trips. The only time I've ever seen anyone whip out a stove during the day is to make some coffee maybe. (and that was me who did it), much to the ire of those I was with who were anxious to get back on the trail) But I've never once seen anyone cook their lunch. Probably because I've always hiked with experienced people.

I think the mistake you're making is that you're taking advice that you want to hear, and not the advice that is the best. I haven't done the AT, but as I've said before, I've done a lot of trips with people who have, and based on my discussions with them, and those who have done other trails, like the PCT, you're making some poor decisions. I don't have all the answers, but I can see that you're in the process of making some spectacular mistakes if your intent is to actually complete the trip. I know there's a "cool factor" to some of the stuff you're planning, but seriously, the last bit of advice that I'm going to offer here is that you let go of some of these ideas you have. The AT isn't about luxury or technology. It's about efficiency and minimalism. And if you aren't ready to go that route I believe you're going to be in for some disappointment.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

The problem with your meal plan that I can see is that you're still planning on using a stove. Particularly you''re considering s stove for lunch. You'll do that twice, maybe three times. I don't know anyone who cooks lunch, even on short two or three day trips. The only time I've ever seen anyone whip out a stove during the day is to make some coffee maybe. (and that was me who did it), much to the ire of those I was with who were anxious to get back on the trail) But I've never once seen anyone cook their lunch. Probably because I've always hiked with experienced people.

I think the mistake you're making is that you're taking advice that you want to hear, and not the advice that is the best. I haven't done the AT, but as I've said before, I've done a lot of trips with people who have, and based on my discussions with them, and those who have done other trails, like the PCT, you're making some poor decisions. I don't have all the answers, but I can see that you're in the process of making some spectacular mistakes if your intent is to actually complete the trip. I know there's a "cool factor" to some of the stuff you're planning, but seriously, the last bit of advice that I'm going to offer here is that you let go of some of these ideas you have. The AT isn't about luxury or technology. It's about efficiency and minimalism. And if you aren't ready to go that route I believe you're going to be in for some disappointment.

I'm not sure what I am doing to not please you, but I'm sorry. I'm also not sure where the "luxury" part is coming in.

Have you even read all of my posts? You "suggested" things I had already said I was doing. Then you got onto me because I wasn't getting a particular brand of clothing, not the type mind you, the BRAND.

What are these spectacular mistakes? It would really help to know them so I could fix them.

I'm 100% ready for any relevant advice, RELEVANT! I don't care what it is, if you think I am ignoring things because I don't like them go ahead and think that, it's not true at all. I've read over every post on here, especially yours, I shared them with other hikers, and with friends trying to make the best fit for me.

I read dozens of trail journals, talked to more than a couple of people about what I need, need to change etc. I'm working with the things I have on a daily basis trying to figure out what works for me, and what doesn't. The first thing that comes to mind is that of the people that have finished the AT, there was no real rhyme or reason why, they all had different kinds of equipment, different lifestyles, and different reasons. Heck, one guy ate nothing but peanut butter the entire hike.

Your advice has been good, I have used some, and left other parts by the side. I think the mistake you are making is that your advice is the best.

Do you remember the post I made about going to hiking forums and finding this elitist attitude among people that could give advise, and there being this "you will never make it" attitude. All because they had made it? That is the same attitude you are giving off right now. AND YOU HAVEN'T EVEN DONE THE HIKE!

Tell you what, if you feel so strongly that I will not make it, I am going to be taking pledges for every mile walked on the trail, and donating 100% of it to the Tyler Shipman Scholarship fund, if you really think I'm not going to finish we can base how bad you think I will do it on your pledge. You don't have to pledge a dime, but hey it's a good cause, and really talk is cheap.

Brad

PS
And I eat Ramen noodles like potato chips, sprinkle the powder on them, and crunch away. Most of the food I am packing can be eaten without cooking.
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
I had a big long response typed out, but instead I'm just going to say this- I like you Brad, and I want to see you succeed. I don't know what possible motive you think I might have aside from that. I just think most of your ideas are just simply adding way too much unnecessary weight. The most profound saying I've ever heard was, "Gear won't take you 2,000 miles, it's just the opposite, you have to take the gear 2000 miles."
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Get a vacuum sealer. Put each meal in a bag and seal. You would be supprised on the space you save. And how well the food keeps. If it rains you will not have to worry about some of your food getting wet. Or the little and big critters eating the food. It will seal in the food smell.
We have been using one this year for the veggies that we freeze. Really amazing.
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, that'll keep the mice out. LOL
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Get a vacuum sealer. Put each meal in a bag and seal. You would be supprised on the space you save. And how well the food keeps. If it rains you will not have to worry about some of your food getting wet. Or the little and big critters eating the food. It will seal in the food smell.
We have been using one this year for the veggies that we freeze. Really amazing.

Great idea....I've been doing this for years, everyone should have a vacuum sealer. We save possibly thousands a year with them.

I have 3 since whenever we come across one in a yard sale, or flea market we buy it. The local flea market has a guy that works at Sunbeam, and he has a booth full of canisters, bags, and sealers. 25 bucks per brand new unopened sealer. We have a bunch of canisters, and a small dehydrator too.

I plan at this point on following the link on the first page of this thread.

What kind of sealer do you have?

I started sealing my coffee in a canister, and it's amazing, like opening a new can of coffee every morning.

Brad
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

twofatguys

16465 posts
Member since Jul 2004

Yeah, that'll keep the mice out. LOL

Another reason I want to avoid the shelters whenever possible. They seem to be overran with mice. I've seen pictures, video of the mice so brave that they crawl over peoples faces to get to food, and smart too.

Yech.

I'm not sure how to face the mouse problem, I know I have to have a sealed, semi heavy case that mice can't pick up for my hearing aids. Avoiding the shelters seems to be one of the best ways I can think of.

Any ideas?

Brad
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock