Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  get back in to guns need a cheap gun to shoot (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
get back in to guns need a cheap gun to shoot by fierobrian
Started on: 12-23-2010 11:27 AM
Replies: 95
Last post by: deezil on 02-11-2011 07:50 AM
fierobrian

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
i miss not haveing a gun to shoot . looking for a gun that is cheap to shoot thinking a 22 or something small what are good guns now been about 10 years for me . thanks brian
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MJ

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MJSend a Private Message to MJDirect Link to This Post
Bought a nice little AR-15 package the other day, nice little plinker...
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
Mossburg has a cheap 22 rifle, so does marlin.

Both quality tho.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
Stop by your local gun stores and look at their used guns. The salesman should allow you to pick them up and get a feel for them. Also, they should be able to give you a few pointers. You should be able to pick up a used 22 for less than $100.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:

Stop by your local gun stores and look at their used guns. The salesman should allow you to pick them up and get a feel for them. Also, they should be able to give you a few pointers. You should be able to pick up a used 22 for less than $100.

Some pawnshops have guns. ( tho i just noticed today that my local shop no longer does.. )
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Some pawnshops have guns. ( tho i just noticed today that my local shop no longer does.. )

That is true but I would not trust a pawn shop's expertise in guns. I certainly would not recommend someone that is getting back into guns go there to pick up a gun at one unless they knew exactly what they were looking for.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

That is true but I would not trust a pawn shop's expertise in guns. I certainly would not recommend someone that is getting back into guns go there to pick up a gun at one unless they knew exactly what they were looking for.

True, but i would assume he might take along a friend that does know
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
if you are looking for a fun plinker in .22lr go with a ruger 10/22. Plenty of mods if you want to change it up.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
10/22 FTW! Tons of kits for them....You name it, banana magazines, drum magazines, M-16 clone kits, suppressors, And from what I hear you can make them full auto very easily........

[This message has been edited by 87antuzzi (edited 12-23-2010).]

FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post
http://www.homegunsmith.com...t-71-20800-10_22.pdf

Not too easy to convert. I believe the O/P lives in IL a state like CA that does not allow private ownership of machine guns. One possible way is to become a supplier to movie studios.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

http://www.homegunsmith.com...t-71-20800-10_22.pdf

Not too easy to convert. I believe the O/P lives in IL a state like CA that does not allow private ownership of machine guns. One possible way is to become a supplier to movie studios.

Even if they did allow it ( like here ), a private citizen cant make new one for himself. The pool of available automatics for citizens was capped at some point in the past. ( i need to look that up sometime; the date and the 'wild ass guess' of what was available at that point in time ). Sure, most places he could legally make a semi-auto in his garage out of scrap metals and wood, but if one cant afford ~50 bucks for a used commercially made 22 rifle, you wont be able to afford to feed it either and its time to find a new hobby.

Not saying its not fun to make your own for the sake of making stuff and it being really 'yours', but he did say finances were a factor is this.

EDIT: i now see that was a 'conversion' book, not a true home built guide. But my point is still valid

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 12-23-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
fierobrian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
i dont mind spending a few hundred on the gun just want cheap ammo so i can fire it alot . had 357 before but rounds were about 4 bucks each never fired it much
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post12-23-2010 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
Actually, if you are just looking to knock over a few tin cans or blow holes in some paper targets, about the absoloute cheapest you can get (both for the toy and the ammo) is either Airsoft or pellet/B.B. guns..... Some of them (the higher quality) can get expensive--but you can have a lot of fun with a $30 airsoft handgun and 5 bucks worth of pellets (I even have a couple that do full auto)
fierobrian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
i have a great bb gun just want more punch
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobrian:

i dont mind spending a few hundred on the gun just want cheap ammo so i can fire it alot . had 357 before but rounds were about 4 bucks each never fired it much

Sounds like a 10/22 or marlin is your right choice. If you want something a big larger, a 9mm hi-point carbine is inexpensive but fun to have.
DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

I've got three .357's, a Marlin lever action and two Rossi revolvers. The great thing about them is I can shoot much cheaper .38 special ammo for plinking. I have a .22LR conversion for my AR rifle, makes it a nice little plinker.

.22 LR is gonna be your cheapes plinker, look at the Heritage single action revolvers if you want a fun little single action revolver and the bonus is it is available with an extra .22 magnum cylinder.
I agree the Marlin and Mossberg .22 semi-auto rifles are excellent buys but the Ruger 10/22 is the King of rimfire rifles!

------------------
Dealing with failure is easy: work hard to improve. Success is also easy to handle: you've solved the wrong problem, work hard to improve.

Ramsespride

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post
Ill sell you my Mosin Nagant. 130 its yours with the sling and Bayonet. We arnt that far apart either
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
If you just wanna plink, then the Ruger 10/22 is a good recommendation. They're inexpensive, but good quality. Plus, you can get 22LR ammo for about $40-50 for 1000 rounds.

If you want a "real gun", then the least expensive route would probably be an AK or SKS. You can find them new for under $400. And the 7.62x39 ammo can be had for around $200 for 1000 rounds.
DRA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ramsespride:

Ill sell you my Mosin Nagant. 130 its yours with the sling and Bayonet. We arnt that far apart either

I would not suggest the Mosin Nagant for a plinker, surplus ammo is pretty cheap but I would not want to spend an afternoon shooting it. I have a PSL, semi-auto 7.62X54R, much easier on the shoulder and a blast to shoot!
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

That will obviously vary on where you go.My father and brother own and operate a pawn shop and I can assure you they know more then most any gun shop around here, and definitly highly more then the guys at the sporting goods section of any retailer, especially Wal-Fart.

Kevin

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DRA: I would not suggest the Mosin Nagant for a plinker, surplus ammo is pretty cheap but I would not want to spend an afternoon shooting it. I have a PSL, semi-auto 7.62X54R, much easier on the shoulder and a blast to shoot!

Yeah, the Mosin-Nagant has a pretty good kick. If you wanna "plink" with one of those, you'd better get a buttstock pad. And no offense to Ramsespride, but you can find them (surplus) online for around $80-100.

BTW, my next rifle is going to be a PSL. I've been wanting one for awhile now. I have a big scope to put on it, too.
PFF
System Bot
DRA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Yeah, the Mosin-Nagant has a pretty good kick. If you wanna "plink" with one of those, you'd better get a buttstock pad. And no offense to Ramsespride, but you can find them (surplus) online for around $80-100.

BTW, my next rifle is going to be a PSL. I've been wanting one for awhile now. I have a big scope to put on it, too.

The PSL is a fun true high power rifle falling between a .308 and 30-06, accuracy suffers under sustained fire due to the thin barrel but if you are not expecting sub MOA accuracy you will be very happy with it. Not a true sniper rifle, designed as a squad support weapon or designated marksman rifle. I have a scope mounted on mine but it really shines with iron sights.
If money were not an issue I'd like the M14, but would still hang onto the PSL.
Shoot the light ball ammo through the PSL, the heavy stuff will ratlle it to pieces!
Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
Tell me again why it's illegal to play with explosives? Good god, the military spent good money making sure I knew what I was doing.
Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post

Uaana

6570 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Oh back to rifles.. 7MM nice combo round Remington Mag is quite nice distance/track/etc.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42339

Great price if you're looking cheap and entry level.
fierobrian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
now thinking this http://www.basspro.com/Remi...uct/10217901/-530097

[This message has been edited by fierobrian (edited 12-23-2010).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post12-23-2010 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

im thinking some like this http://www.budsgunshop.com/...hp/products_id/60668
9mm carbine still cheap to shoot but a little power what are some good brands

9mm is a pistol round ....We used to have the Stirling when I was serving, and it was an "interesting" piece of equipment...9mm, 30-round mags...and a runaway was very common. You would fire a burst, and it would decide to stop when the mag was empty ....Rounds are too big (expensive) for plinking, but too small for serious stopping power at any distance. It might be a fun toy...but honestly its not a route I would go for anything besides shooting at old refrigerators.

But here is something for ya !! <hehehehehehe>...I keed, I keed

http://www.budsgunshop.com/...roducts_id/411543138
Black Lotus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black LotusSend a Private Message to Black LotusDirect Link to This Post
Get on the internet and look up a site like Cabelas.
Check out the price of ammunition.
Use that to help your selection.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

im thinking some like this http://www.budsgunshop.com/...hp/products_id/60668
9mm carbine still cheap to shoot but a little power what are some good brands

I have the older model of that ( got it about 15 years ago.. ) and like it quite a bit. Not the highest quality, but built like a tank. Paid like 150 bucks for it, new.

wow. 15 years.. time flies.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 12-23-2010).]

craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Get a Smith & Wesson 500 Special. Ain't nothing like firing a .50 cal. LOL! Just Kidding, but this is my favorite Revolver. A Ruger No. 1 is a good rifle and it uses a .223 round which is easy to find and affordable, same round as the 5.56 round in my M4.
fierobrian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
the guy at thegun store was pushing the 9 mm carbine hard . they were saying it would be nice to have same ammo as the hand gun i would get .but going to just get a 22 the rounds are soooooo much cheaper . that is the only gun only store close . im not a huner never will be so i dont need power
thinking of Remington 597 Autoloading 22 Long w/Blue Barrel & Synthetic Stock Rifle
http://www.basspro.com/Remi...uct/10217901/-530097

REMINGTON IS A NAME I KNOW IS IT STILL GOOD THANKS

i did see the pink gun but not my style sorry . hard to get respect with a pink gun right ? thethings peaple will buy

[This message has been edited by fierobrian (edited 12-23-2010).]

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2010 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
17 HMR is also a fun gun.
PFF
System Bot
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2010 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post

the guy at thegun store was pushing the 9 mm carbine hard . they were saying it would be nice to have same ammo as the hand gun i would get .but going to just get a 22 the rounds are soooooo much cheaper . that is the only gun only store close . im not a huner never will be so i dont need power
thinking of Remington 597 Autoloading 22 Long w/Blue Barrel & Synthetic Stock Rifle
http://www.basspro.com/Remi...uct/10217901/-530097

REMINGTON IS A NAME I KNOW IS IT STILL GOOD THANKS

i did see the pink gun but not my style sorry . hard to get respect with a pink gun right ? thethings peaple will buy

Nice rifle. Thats a good affordable rifle, plus, like you said the ammo is super cheap. Have fun firing your rifle and exercising your right to bear arms.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ramsespride:

I've been wanting one, next paycheck I have been planning on calling around to find one. I'll give you $100 for it if the barrel is in good shape.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
I've dealt with this guy and he is EXTREMELY professorial and reasonably priced. He isn't in your area, but you could buy from him and get an FFL to transfer usually for about $10. I hear these are fun and reliable guns. I've been considering one for some time to shoot at my shop, they are damn near silent and 22 is pennies to buy.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:
Actually, if you are just looking to knock over a few tin cans or blow holes in some paper targets, about the absoloute cheapest you can get is a pellet/B.B. guns.

I know you addressed this but I agree. Your BB gun I would not think has as much power as a high powered pellet rifle, which can actually be used to hunt small game.
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

I've dealt with this guy and he is EXTREMELY professorial and reasonably priced. He isn't in your area, but you could buy from him and get an FFL to transfer usually for about $10. I hear these are fun and reliable guns. I've been considering one for some time to shoot at my shop, they are damn near silent and 22 is pennies to buy.

I thought silencers were a class 3 device! Highly illegal without a fed license??

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2farnorth:

I thought silencers were a class 3 device! Highly illegal without a fed license??

They are, but in many states you an get that license.
Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
In most states, a $200 tax stamp and getting the OK from local law enforcement is all you need to possess a silencer.

1986 was the cut-off for introducing any new full-auto weapons onto the market. Super expensive to get one legally and IMO its a waste of ammo anyway.

If you want a good rifle to plink with, definitely go with .22. Marlin Model 60 is a great shooter out of the box, but not much in the aftermarket. Ruger 10/22 isn't quite as nice out of the box (especially new ones, look for an old one at pawn shops with metal trigger assemblies and walnut stock) but there's gobs of parts available to make them super accurate.

If you want a .22 handgun, a revolver is always fun. For a semi auto, a Ruger MK II or III are popular, as is a Browning Buckmark (the "Camper" model is the cheapest/most basic).

For .22 LR ammo, I just get wal-mart boxes of 375 rounds. The 500 round boxes (Remington, I think) are junky and I've had lots of duds in them.

If you want a milsurp rifle in a larger caliber, a Mosin Nagant would be a good choice. They're easy to come by right now and the ammo is cheap. Avoid war-time guns though, the quality on them weren't that great. Pre-war, hex receiver, Tula arsenal are among the better quality guns out right now.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2farnorth:

Peep the site bud, learn about it.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alibi:

In most states, a $200 tax stamp and getting the OK from local law enforcement is all you need to possess a silencer.

1986 was the cut-off for introducing any new full-auto weapons onto the market. Super expensive to get one legally and IMO its a waste of ammo anyway.

yes, that is the date i was trying to think of the other day ( i knew it was 80's something )... Have you ever seen the 'estimate' of the pool ? ( which if course will only shrink )
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock