Gran Turismo 5 discussion by TD37
Started on: 07-30-2010 11:53 AM
Replies: 95
Last post by: Tom Slick on 01-15-2011 07:54 PM
TD37

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
Hey everyone. After Polyphony Digital announced the GT5 Collector's Edition last week I was about an inch away from pre-ordering it from amazon.com so I could get the "stealth edition" Mercedes SLS along with everything else in the Collector's Edition. Last night I finally decided against it and I have now decided not to pre-order the game at all. It just came down to the fact that after I played the hell out of GT4 I was really tired of a lack of American cars and tracks and having to run 14 different versions of Fuji Speedway with 150 different versions of Nissan Skylines. If I find the collector's edition or game for less than $100 or $60 respectively, then I'll pick it up. I've been looking for a track list and have found nothing official or concrete. All indications point that the only American tracks are Laguna Seca, Infineon, Daytona, and Indy. Which, quite frankly, is a ridiculous "top 4" of American road race tracks (except Laguna Seca). I have an EXTREME bias for Road America since I live 5 miles from the track but RA has been in NFS: Shift and Forza so its not like no one knows about it. But also where is Sebring, Watkins Glen, Mid-Ohio, Long Beach, Road Atlanta, Lime Rock, VIR, Miller Motorsports Park, Willow Springs, Circuit Mont-Tremblant, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Summit Point, Road America of course! and maybe a few I'm forgetting? They couldn't put those tracks in because they had to work on 12 different versions of Fuji Speedway. . .

As far as a car list, I also have seen nothing official or concrete. But it looks to be 800+ cars; 250 of those are Skylines and GT-R's, 5 are American. . .

Anyone else have any thoughts on GT5?

-Tim

[This message has been edited by TD37 (edited 07-30-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
My thought on GT5 is this: Get Forza Motorsport. It has a nice mix of American, European, and Asian cars.
newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
You're right Blacktree, Forza 3 has a great collection of cars and tracks from around the world. Unfortunately, I'm a PS3 guy and can't justify getting a 360 for just a game or two.

-Tim
Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post
Considering I have an xbox and barely play Forza, I'm going to hold off until I get a good chance to play GT5 before I make a decision to buy a PS3. I see GT5 as going 2 ways...it will either play the trump card and destroy all other racing games, including the Forza series...or the hype won't be fulfilled and it will not live up to expectations.

I'm going to put money on the first course, but whether I buy it or not will depend on whether I like the variety and game play. I also don't want 50 versions of the Skyline and no consideration for classic cars.

~ Derek

...and it better have a ****ing classic Mini because Forza has yet to put one in a game...
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
Has the GT series let anyone down yet? Besides the waiting of course.

read the link I provided for some great info on GT5. Sounds great to me.
Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post
I think the 3D support and facial recognition features are gonna make the game pretty sweet. By moving your head sideways you'll be able to look deeper into the corner. Plus, it's got the Top Gear test track. That alone has me sold.

Edit: I sure hope they have the reasonably priced cars!

[This message has been edited by Zac88GT (edited 07-30-2010).]

TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
I would LOVE it if they had the 3 "reasonably priced cars" and all the celebrity times and an event where you raced the Top Gear track with the cars without any mods allowed. You could have SIARPC board online, but it would be all GT5 players. Maybe number 1 could have a go in the real deal.... Anyways, I used to play GT1-2 on PS1, skipped PS2, and now I am waiting for GT5 but I wish I had gone with 360 and Forza 3. I really liked Forza 1-2
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

I would LOVE it if they had the 3 "reasonably priced cars" and all the celebrity times and an event where you raced the Top Gear track with the cars without any mods allowed. You could have SIARPC board online, but it would be all GT5 players. Maybe number 1 could have a go in the real deal....

That would be awesome.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
I had thought that since GT5 is going to have NASCAR in it, that there would be a larger variety of American tracks to give the 'experience' of American motorsport. However, only a few screen shots have surfaced of the NASCAR cars running on tracks other than Daytona or Indy, and those are just shots from the fantasy road courses that appear in the GT series.

This sadly could be a sign of some reluctance on either obtaining the license to some American courses or on part of the developers to design tracks since there's already a large selection. It's looking more and more like the only ovals will be Daytona, Indy, and Motegi, and beside Infineon I can't foresee them doing any additional tracks that relate to NASCAR, meaning American circuits will be lowly represented.

It's a shame really, since we already know that there will be five different version of Fuji, three Suzuka layouts, and then the variations of the other circuits they did like in GT4.
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
In a recent release PD said that there will be 20 locations with over 70 variations, these locations will include the following:

- Indianapolis (2 variations)
- Daytona (2 variations)
- Top Gear Test Track
- Toscana (2 variations)
- Rome (2 variations)
- Madrid (2 variations)
- London (2 variations)
- Eiger Mountain (2 variations)
- Fuji Speedway (F1 and GT layout)
- Suzuka (Full and East)
- Tokyo R246 (2 variations)
- Nurburgring (3 variations)
- Le Sarthe
- High Speed Ring (2 variations)
- Special Stage Route 5
- Tsukuba

I for one could car less about having any ovals in the game besides maybe indy. Too boring.
PFF
System Bot
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
Well I agree that the game 'looks' amazing. I'm sure the graphics and environments will be out of this world. My problem is the lack of a really wide selection of cars from north america and circuits that I (and a majority of true race fans) love. Instead we get every generation of every car Japan has ever produced and the same circuit variations we've been playing for how many years? The big thing with GT is that it is as close to a dream as you are going to get. Driving a ZR1 on the Nurburgring, Battling Trans-Am muscle cars on Road America, a Porsche GT3 RS on Spa, etc, etc. . . But they only put a tiny fraction of the best tracks on the planet in the game, whats up with that? I guarantee no one dreams about driving Fuji Speedway in the '80's configuration. . . or whatever it is. . .

They boast about a huge car count, but if you don't give a crap about any of the tracks they offer than what is the point really? Maybe they should work on TRACK count next time, instead of car count. . .

-Tim
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TD37:

My problem is the lack of a really wide selection of cars from north america and circuits that I (and a majority of true race fans) love. Instead we get every generation of every car Japan has ever produced and the same circuit variations we've been playing for how many years?

-Tim

Thing is they sell the game all over the world not just in North America and is made in Japan.

What North American cars are you looking for? Usually I find with the GT series they have most of the "super" cars from each country but the regular cars are more Japanese.

And 20 tracks with 70 variations should be plenty in my mind.
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
I always get the argument that they sell the game all over the world and they sell most of the game in Japan so thats why we don't get any american tracks and a limited selection of cars. I think that is totally bogus and a cop-out. Look at the sales figures for the GT franchise - http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

If you don't want to read it here are the numbers - Total GT sales for Japan - 9.7 million North America - 19.9 million Europe - 25.5 million
Global total - 55.8 million

So that is bogus, Japan only accounts for 17% of all GT sales. Why do they get all the tracks and cars? If anything, they should be kissing the European's butt!

As for 20 tracks and 70 variations (HA!), that ISN'T enough for "the best racing simulator of all time". Considering that they 'simulate' a lot of tracks that aren't real. . . when there are a ton of great tracks that they ignore

-Tim
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TD37:

If you don't want to read it here are the numbers - Total GT sales for Japan - 9.7 million North America - 19.9 million Europe - 25.5 million
Global total - 55.8 million

So that is bogus, Japan only accounts for 17% of all GT sales. Why do they get all the tracks and cars? If anything, they should be kissing the European's butt!

As for 20 tracks and 70 variations (HA!), that ISN'T enough for "the best racing simulator of all time". Considering that they 'simulate' a lot of tracks that aren't real. . . when there are a ton of great tracks that they ignore

-Tim

Not bogus at all, there is a selection of tracks from all over which suits me fine. You proved it yourself that the European and Asian market outsells America and as I said it's made by a guy from Japan.
I loved the first 4, not saying that they could always improve on some things but I've always been satisfied. I'm sure we'll hear more as time goes on about what is actually in the game.

BTW it's called "The Real DRIVING Simulator" not track simulator.

Don't like it don't buy it, it's a simple solution.

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
I honestly don't have any serious gripes over the GT series games, as I've bought every one of them. I do understand that they are created by producers in a Japanese market. Knowing this it should be a given that the game be more Japanese oriented. I do however have some miniscule complaints in the way the game is turning out.

There being more ovals and making the game "boring" is not what I was getting at. What I'm trying to point out is that if they have major plans to incorporate undisputedly North America's largest racing series (NASCAR), then they should have taken much more stride in representing the series well. As it stands, you'll be racing NASCAR on fantasy road courses and a few ovals. That's not what NASCAR is about, and the game designers attempting to present NASCAR racing are going to present the series in the wrong light. If they are seriously wanting to present NASCAR, they should have at the VERY least included an example of every type of oval that NASCAR races on - short oval (Bristol), medium speedway (Texas), odd-shaped speedway (Phoenix, Pocono), etc.

Furthermore, they are trying to seriously place in Formula One with the realistic Formula One car (Ferrari), which GT4 lacked. However, aside from Cote de Azur (Monaco), Fuji, and Suzuka tracks, there has been no other Formula One representation in the GT series. They actually took a step backwards in GT4, as GT3 featured a variety of Formula One chassis' throughout the late 80's/early 90's whereas the Formula One car in GT4 is one model with varying paint schemes. If they're wanting to implement Formula One they should at least play along the same lines as they're doing with the NASCAR representation. Because as it stands now, if the game has any sort of Formula One series to race, you'll either be racing against the same Ferrari Formula One car, or that car with varying paint schemes...

I dealt with the multitudes of Skylines and Evos in GT4 - I really did... It was very, very hard to do though. It was and has been rather unnecessary though. There's no need to have a completely different car just to have a Midnight Purple colored Skyline GT-R R34 (GT4). You could implement that in the standard car selection.

I don't know why I'm complaining though. I kind of already know what to expect out of this game, and I'll still buy it just as I have the other GT games anyways.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 07-30-2010).]

newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2010 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
I hear ya, there's aspects of the GT series that bug me too but overall they're the best games I've played to date though I must admit I've never tried Forza.

I could do without any Nascar representation or Formula one for that matter. To me if they want to add that they could just sell a seperate game.

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 07-31-2010).]

Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2010 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post
Anybody check out the newest released features of GT5? Looks like you'll be able to create your own tracks, and it's going to have Kart racing as well!!!!
dn69141

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2010 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dn69141Send a Private Message to dn69141Direct Link to This Post
The only negative I have is they STILL only work with Sony. I really wish it would come out on the Xbox. I got an original PS just for GT1 and GT2. I may get a PS3 for GT5. I really really dislike the playstation controllers though.
firstfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 172
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2010 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroDirect Link to This Post
isn't it a game made by sony? Why would they let xbox have it lol
dn69141

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2010 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dn69141Send a Private Message to dn69141Direct Link to This Post
Well because unlike me being tempted to pay for a PS3 for one game, they could sell it to all the XBOX fans who would pay $100 a pop to get this game on the xbox 360. I don't understand why companies do this to be honest. A game this big...could make a lot more money if they sold it on both platforms.

I do understand the flip side of it too. Just was wishing back there......
PFF
System Bot
TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
Scheduled to be released in a few days. Is anyone excited? Does anyone even still care at all? Does anyone actually think it will happen this time?
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking forward to it, however I still need to get a PS3 . I'm thinking Christmas time before I see it.

Funny commercial BTW.

Fiero_Fan_88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Direct Link to This Post
I'm staring at my receipt just thinking damn I'm so close. Sadly there will be no midnight release around here so I have to wait until the store opens.
When I was 9 my parents bought me a PlayStation and Gran Turismo for my birthday. LOVED IT.
Parents bought me Gran Turismo 2 when it released because I wouldn't shut up about it.
Christmas involved a new PS2 and Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec. Couldn't get enough of it, loved how you could tune your own engine, my friends father who is a huge car enthusiast taught us about tuning vehicles which made me love the game more learning set up for tracks.
Parents bought me Gran Turismo 4. Played it 99.4% through. The only challenge I can't get is where your down a lap in a slower car and you have to drive your way to the front, its keeping me from the black F1 car.
I bought my PS3 a few years ago for the sole purpose of Gran Turismo 5. Bought my force feedback wheel, picked up prologue on release enjoy it a lot. I really like the attention to detail.
Been getting agitated the past year with fake release dates and delays but, its almost here. Dieing to redeem my receipt for that game.
Also going to be ordering the GT5 skin for PS3 from Gamestop.

------------------

banditbalz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for banditbalzClick Here to visit banditbalz's HomePageSend a Private Message to banditbalzDirect Link to This Post
Less than a day boys and girls
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
Don't imagine I'll see it until Christmas time so I will be counting on the rest of you to let me know about it if you can tear yourselves away for a moment
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
I can't wait.. I can't wait... I can't wait!!!!
I have asked for this ALL year for xmas!!!
I bought her a Dodge Charger for her Birthday, I bought her a MASSIVE TV for xmas last year... So I am betting I will get this for xmas

Did I mention I can't wait?

I LOOOOOVE The Gran Truismo games. I played the heck outta prologue.. until I got bored with it. I have played the GT games since the PSOne. I also have all the Forza games. They are good... but they are NOT Gran Turismo!
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I succumbed to the hype. Just pre-orderd on Amazon.
I know I'm gonna love-hate it.
Fiero_Fan_88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Direct Link to This Post
12.5 hours to go until I can go get my copy.
FieroDev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDevSend a Private Message to FieroDevDirect Link to This Post
anybody else find it strange for a new release to be on wednesday?
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroDev:

I think it's purely to hit the stores in time for "Black Friday" and the Holiday weekend in the States.
PFF
System Bot
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
If they brought out a version of the Monster Mile in Dover I'd poop myself. Alas, they won't, so I should probably poop myself anyway.
banditbalz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for banditbalzClick Here to visit banditbalz's HomePageSend a Private Message to banditbalzDirect Link to This Post
Well it's midnight here just north of Toronto and I just got home. There is a message on my answering machine that my pre-order of GT5 is waiting for me at Electronic Boutique. Problem is they close at 9:00. I am not even sure I can sleep right now...

only 9 hours to go...

no, wait, 8 hours and 59 minutes...
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2010 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
I GOT IT!!!! Had to do some looking around but found a walmart with it. It looks AMAZING on my epson 6100 on a 100" screen , and feels great with the Force feedback GT

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.53@126.7

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2010 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post

Justinbart

3259 posts
Member since Sep 2009

Originally posted by FieroDev:

I think that was the soonest they could get it out, only one store with in 20 miles of me had it, the rest expected it tomorrow or even next monday!
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2010 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

I GOT IT!!!! Had to do some looking around but found a walmart with it. It looks AMAZING on my epson 6100 on a 100" screen , and feels great with the Force feedback GT

Lucky bugger, how about a quick review when you manage to tear yourself away.

I'm trying not to be jealous

Have fun!

Fiero_Fan_88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2010 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Direct Link to This Post
Store I pre-ordered from doesn't open until 9...
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2010 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
Got mine at Wally world. Had to wait until they got a manager to release the game at midnight. Game Stop is right next store and they weren't even open. Excuse me while i go play...
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2010 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
I am blown away...

Shouldn't be allowed to buy the game without one of these at the least!
http://www.buy.com/prod/log...c/108/207932547.html

I got a refurbished one last year for $80 shipped, like brand new, its so amazing.
------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.53@126.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 11-24-2010).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2010 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post

Justinbart

3259 posts
Member since Sep 2009
all gold through the b license
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave