Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Commodore Computers Makes A Comeback (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Commodore Computers Makes A Comeback by IMSA GT
Started on: 05-31-2010 11:58 AM
Replies: 46
Last post by: Nurb432 on 06-06-2010 10:12 AM
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
The company apparently was revived somehow and has new all-in-one computers that are basically built into the keyboard and not the monitor so you can build your own pc with whatever OS you like:
http://www.commodoreusa.net/systems.html

And for those who really want an all-in-one:
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-31-2010 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
They went away ??

You mean not everybody is reading PFF on a C-128 ???
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
I am good friends with Jack Trameil who is the founder of Commodore and when he bought Atari years ago, I thought he abandoned Commodore.....at least that was the impression he gave me. The new CEO is a young guy. You can read about him on the info page of the website.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post05-31-2010 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
its Commodore in name only. Much as the current day Atari is.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-31-2010 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I am good friends with Jack Trameil who is the founder of Commodore and when he bought Atari years ago, I thought he abandoned Commodore.....at least that was the impression he gave me. The new CEO is a young guy. You can read about him on the info page of the website.

Please thank him for destroying Atari by letting his children get involved
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Please thank him for destroying Atari by letting his children get involved

Believe me, when I visit him, there is NO mention of his kids. He has little if any photos of them anywhere in his house.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-31-2010 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Believe me, when I visit him, there is NO mention of his kids. He has little if any photos of them anywhere in his house.

If i was him i wouldn't talk about them either.. While i don't have first and knowledge, everything i have heard is that they were total incompetent jerks and were responsible for killing Atari ( and i'm sure other project too ). Jack i always heard was a great guy, but that gene didn't transfer down apparently.

Yes, i am a bitter Atari fan
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

They went away ??

and here I thought everyone was using Commodore DOS on a VIC-20. lol
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-31-2010 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

They went away ??

Well you know people have hacked an Ethernet stack ( and interface ) into a C64? Even have a browser of some sort.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I swear I have seen that years ago- probably a different company though. Sad to hear that sort of animosity within a family.
Ever use Geos? It's like windows for the C-64...

Load"SaveNewYork",8,1
Ready.
Run

hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
sadly this one poped up first... making the comadore version just a ripoff of asus, who sadly has a much bigger name/following now.

http://www.designboom.com/w...eee-keyboard-pc.html

http://www.slashgear.com/as...ne-from-400-0336323/
PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-31-2010 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

I swear I have seen that years ago- probably a different company though. Sad to hear that sort of animosity within a family.

Load"SaveNewYork",8,1
Ready.
Run

Geos was one of the first multiplatform systems. Apple, Atari, PC, Commodore ( 64 and 128 mode ).. its still around for the PC, under a different name. ( that escapes me at the the moment )
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post

Geos was one of the first multiplatform systems. Apple, Atari, PC, Commodore ( 64 and 128 mode ).. its still around for the PC, under a different name. ( that escapes me at the the moment )

breadbox, looks like widnows95 imo..
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone remember Q-Link?

------------------

tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
I got a 1541, two 1571 and a 1581. I am the KING of floppy! lol.. I loved my Commodore products.. I had a 64, 128 and an Amiga. Neat to see someone still flying the commodore flag.
Time to play LAST NINJA!!!
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-31-2010 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

I got a 1541, two 1571 and a 1581. I am the KING of floppy! lol.. I loved my Commodore products.. I had a 64, 128 and an Amiga. Neat to see someone still flying the commodore flag.
Time to play LAST NINJA!!!

Friend of mine had a 1581 on his C128. I don't think we ever had a 3.5 on the Atari side until the ST line came out.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I still have a commodore 64 and 2 bic 20 new in the box
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
I would love to get my hands on a commodore 64/128, I loved the games.

On a side note, does anyone have or can get a GIF image of the load screen and have it look like this?

Load"Windows 7",8,1
Ready.
Run

I want to change the splash screen to having it look like that's typed into the command line instead of the crappy Windows logo animation.

[This message has been edited by Rallaster (edited 05-31-2010).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatDirect Link to This Post
I bought a C-64 in 1985 to replace my Timex/Sinclair 1000. I thought I was really on the cutting edge, “Wow this thing does COLOR Graphics!”

I know I still have the computer, 1541 drive and modem around somewhere, along with “The Commodore 64 Programmer's Reference Guide” and some copies of “Compute!'s Gazette”.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-31-2010 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

I would love to get my hands on a commodore 64/128, I loved the games.

On a side note, does anyone have or can get a GIF image of the load screen and have it look like this?

I want to change the splash screen to having it look like that's typed into the command line instead of the crappy Windows logo animation.

http://www.viceteam.org/
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-31-2010 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by williegoat:

I bought a C-64 in 1985 to replace my Timex/Sinclair 1000. I thought I was really on the cutting edge, “Wow this thing does COLOR Graphics!”

I know I still have the computer, 1541 drive and modem around somewhere, along with “The Commodore 64 Programmer's Reference Guide” and some copies of “Compute!'s Gazette”.

I still have both .. And you do realize that Apple and Atari had color first, right?
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
qlink... i remember that... i used to get introuble for going on the chat thing on it, because it wasnt free, had a charge per minute... i think i was like 8? lol...
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

Load"SaveNewYork",8,1
Ready.
Run

hang-on...hang-on!! HANG-ON!!!!! I need to change cassette tapes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post06-01-2010 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

qlink... i remember that... i used to get introuble for going on the chat thing on it, because it wasnt free, had a charge per minute... i think i was like 8? lol...

They were all pay per minute in the old days . I had GEnie and compuserve for home use. IBM network @ the office.

The sad thing is we are headed back to pay per use, in effect ( low caps + overages )
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post06-01-2010 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Firefox:

hang-on...hang-on!! HANG-ON!!!!! I need to change cassette tapes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But did you ever get the pleasure of dealing with paper tape? Or cards? Or just having to toggle your bios in every time you power up. I have. Ah the good old days.
Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post

If i was him i wouldn't talk about them either.. While i don't have first and knowledge, everything i have heard is that they were total incompetent jerks and were responsible for killing Atari ( and i'm sure other project too ). Jack i always heard was a great guy, but that gene didn't transfer down apparently.

Yes, i am a bitter Atari fan

We still have all of our Atari stuff stored away. Got a 130 XE upgraded with 320K ram, ultra speed operating system and all the bells and whistles. 1050 Drive with super archiver and the bit writer option (Wasn't a disk it wouldn't copy, not that I'd copy software or anything.....) Made my own dual disk drive with a Percom controller board. Had a few ST systems over the years as well.

Oh the memories.......

Max
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

You can tell your buddy Jack, thanks for destroying Atari.

EDIT: Just realized I wasn't the first to say that.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 06-01-2010).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

But did you ever get the pleasure of dealing with paper tape? Or cards? Or just having to toggle your bios in every time you power up. I have. Ah the good old days.

one of my first jobs in IT was converting data from a bunch of punch tape rolls to cassette for a TRS-80

and, my first Data Processing class (RPG II), they had JUST replaced the Punch Card reader last semester
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post06-01-2010 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Max The Chainsaw:

We still have all of our Atari stuff stored away. Got a 130 XE upgraded with 320K ram, ultra speed operating system and all the bells and whistles. 1050 Drive with super archiver and the bit writer option (Wasn't a disk it wouldn't copy, not that I'd copy software or anything.....) Made my own dual disk drive with a Percom controller board. Had a few ST systems over the years as well.

Oh the memories.......

Max

http://s117.photobucket.com...2/Retro%20Computers/

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

http://s117.photobucket.com...2/Retro%20Computers/

I have a Zenith Data Systems SuperSport SX portable computer sans power supply if you ever feel the need to add to your collection. LOL

[This message has been edited by Rallaster (edited 06-01-2010).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post06-01-2010 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

I have a Zenith Data Systems SuperSport SX portable computer sans power supply if you ever feel the need to add to your collection. LOL

Nah, don't collect 'pc' style..

Blah, back out to fight with the Fiero.. putting on some exhaust pipe.. totally destroyed what i bought with a stupid 'pipe expander' thing you use a ratchet on.. Flung the pos device across the yard.
PFF
System Bot
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Nah, don't collect 'pc' style..

Blah, back out to fight with the Fiero.. putting on some exhaust pipe.. totally destroyed what i bought with a stupid 'pipe expander' thing you use a ratchet on.. Flung the pos device across the yard.

HAHA, that sucks. I'd offer to help if I didn't already have stuff going on in the next hour...
AlanD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlanDSend a Private Message to AlanDDirect Link to This Post
You should head over to www.atarimax.com and check out their stuff. Nice quality and a lot more capability for the system. I just recent bought an SIO2SD on ebay and it is very nice. Allows you to copy the disks over to the SD and designate them as up to 8 different drives at once. Instant loading and just plugs right into the SIO chain. Very nice for a quick game of MULE or some of the old Infocom adventures.

My Atari 800XL is on the other desk in the computer room with 256K, 32-in-1 OS, Happy 1050, 1meg M-I/O and a 120meg HD. Got a few other toys but nowhere to put them. The Commodores (128D, 64 and Vic-20) are broken out on occasion but just no space for a full time setup. Love the old systems and think my wife would rough me up if I tried to get rid of any of it. She loves playing games on them.

Oh the memories.......

Max

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post06-01-2010 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by AlanD:

You should head over to www.atarimax.com and check out their stuff. Nice quality and a lot more capability for the system. I just recent bought an SIO2SD on ebay and it is very nice. Allows you to copy the disks over to the SD and designate them as up to 8 different drives at once. Instant loading and just plugs right into the SIO chain. Very nice for a quick game of MULE or some of the old Infocom adventures.

My Atari 800XL is on the other desk in the computer room with 256K, 32-in-1 OS, Happy 1050, 1meg M-I/O and a 120meg HD. Got a few other toys but nowhere to put them. The Commodores (128D, 64 and Vic-20) are broken out on occasion but just no space for a full time setup. Love the old systems and think my wife would rough me up if I tried to get rid of any of it. She loves playing games on them.

I have a SD card thingy for the Apple ][ series ( cffa ) ,and have been thinking of that for the Atari 8-bits, just have never got around to doing it. ( i have a HD for the ST of cousre, so don't really need a flash reader for it, but would be nice as just a cart you stick in... But if i remember right, the cartridge slot didn't support write, only read so it would have to come off the Async scsi bus. )

And good for her for laying down the law My collection got a bit smaller a couple of years ago due to space issues too, it was either tools or retro.. So the large stuff like my TRS-MDLII and some of the bigger mac stuff had to go to make room for the lathe also if i had 2 of something the 2nd lost out. Bunch of old magazines ( that also hurt.. ) left to other owners to enjoy to make room for a mill.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
Amethyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmethystClick Here to visit Amethyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmethystDirect Link to This Post

Oh the memories.......

Max

laugh.... I sure miss those Key Soft Games!! Glaggsit, that one where you pushed those crates into a central area and you could only go forward...

What happened to setting that stuff up in the computer room on the corner desk we bought to do that with? Oh yeah... it got filled with knick knacks... and you never got around to setting it all up... did you?

Oh and just to keep this on topic, we used a Commodore monitor for our Atari System!! lol

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amethyst (edited 06-04-2010).]

AlanD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlanDSend a Private Message to AlanDDirect Link to This Post
Same here. The 1084S is being used on the Atari right now. Excellent monitor. I do think my Atari is starting to flake out a little The video is starting to go a bit fuzzy and the memory occasionally comes up with an error. It is 28 years old so I guess that is to be expected but I hate having to find a new one since I have had that one for 20+ years.
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproDirect Link to This Post
I still have my A1200 Amiga.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post06-04-2010 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by AlanD:

Same here. The 1084S is being used on the Atari right now. Excellent monitor. I do think my Atari is starting to flake out a little The video is starting to go a bit fuzzy and the memory occasionally comes up with an error. It is 28 years old so I guess that is to be expected but I hate having to find a new one since I have had that one for 20+ years.

I will have to look for it, but i had plans for a simple ST->VGA adapter.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post06-04-2010 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Amethyst:

laugh.... I sure miss those Key Soft Games!! Glaggsit, that one where you pushed those crates into a central area and you could only go forward...

What happened to setting that stuff up in the computer room on the corner desk we bought to do that with? Oh yeah... it got filled with knick knacks... and you never got around to setting it all up... did you?

Oh and just to keep this on topic, we used a Commodore monitor for our Atari System!! lol

I used a composite Apple monitor with my 8-bit ataris.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock