Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  WOW! Hit by hurricane yesterday. No power, water, way out of village blocked ..

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

WOW! Hit by hurricane yesterday. No power, water, way out of village blocked .. by fierofetish
Started on: 01-25-2009 07:31 AM
Replies: 27
Last post by: calamityjane on 02-02-2009 01:13 AM
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2009 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

..until 10minutes ago! Barcelona, Catalunya hit by freak windstorms. I am trying to find a gas station working so I can at least have my little generator running. We missed distruction by about 15 yards..if the wind had been blowing the other direction, we would have had a tree through the roof As it is,my jeep had its window smashed by tiles coming off the roof of the houses opposite. Got a few pics, but it might be a couple of days before I can post again. Thousands of homes without electricity!! Welcome to Tornado Alley, United States of SPAIN!
Nick
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Glad to hear you and Ellie, Zwerver and Fang are alright. After living threw a tornado in TN that knocked down a concrete block chicken house just ½ mile away I feel for ya.

Hope you find some gas soon.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Dang. Good luck with the gas.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Nick if you get this before you get gas, I thought it was a diesel generator you had? Anyway, if you bug into the power in the house cut the breaker back to the power lines or you may electrocute some one.

If you are just running the fridge on an extension cord from the generator no problem. Do not go into the fuse/breaker panel from the generator unless you can cut the power coming into the house.

Steve

------------------

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2009 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
OK, I got the jenny going, and you are right Steve..just running a couple of things of an extension lead.1 hour wait for 5 gallons of gas
Anyway, there are at least 5000 trees down near us. It was like a tornado, and it ripped right through our garden, about 50 yards wide, but spread out as it hit the valley.Here are a few pics:
These are some of the olive trees that were blown 200 ft onto the road:

A new brick balcony wall and railings gone:

About 150 olive trees ripped out of the ground and blown away:

Roof tiles on most of the new houses destroyed:

Scenes of the two roads entering our village..some clearing-up work has begun. The picture below is where they have removed one tree already. Thank God nobody was walking/driving along this road..instant death under these trees..some are over 60 feet tall...or WERE

This one is virtually in our back yard. If it had fallen our way, it would have taken the back half of our roof and walls out

I know by US standards this is smallfry...but believe me, this is unprecedented here in living memory. The local village Council have a weather site, and the peak gusts of wind were registering at over 110 mph
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 01-25-2009).]

ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:
I know by US standards this is smallfry...but believe me, this is unprecedented here in living memory. The local village Council have a weather site, and the peak gusts of wind were registering at over 110 mph
Nick

smallfry? That IS a hurricane!

FieroAngel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAngelSend a Private Message to FieroAngelDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad you all are ok. 110MPH is still a pretty good hurricane you can see how much damage it can do.
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
THat sucks. Thank god for home owners insurance. Good thing you got through it OK. The house can be rebuilt but not you unless you have 6 million dollars

------------------

Indy#64~FieroNews~Boots~Bag s~Wallets~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2009 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Whoops!! now it has changed, and we are experiencing a cloudburst God help us, we have tiles off the roof, and so do many others. All we need Flooded houses with no electricity or hot water NOW we will see who can cope
Ha!! A young lady just knocked on our door. Her car broke down outside, and could I fix it? Sure!! I got it going,but told her not to drive it anywhere, but go back home until it is fixed. Did she listen?? Did she flip!! All dressed up with sequins stuck all over her face Ah well, she was cute, so I didn't mind getting SOAKING FLIPPING WET!! And yes I would have done it for an old hag,if she was stuck too
Nick
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2009 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003
I never claim on my home insurance. I only have that for if we experience a catastrophe that I can't deal with Same with my cars. I always fix it myself if I can.
Nick
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post

And yes I would have done it for an old hag,if she was stuck too
Nick

Even for Amanda?

PFF
System Bot
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2009 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Ha!! Nice one! But you got it right Tim!! Old (sl)(h)ag is on the nail!! Trouble is nowadays, Salou is full of worthless people more and more. Wish I could get out, but Ellie has friends here, and doesn't want to go. I would sell up and leave tomorrow if she would...but where to go? These people are everywhere now,it seems
Nick
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2009 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003
You know what? I did a great deal of work to make that photo look good Here is what she REALLY looks like

Nick
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
110 mph is on the border of 2 and 3. Not something small. Glad you guys are ok. On the bright side, looks like you have firewood for a little while and those vagrants shouldn't be around while everyone is cleaning up.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
Nick, have you considered moving? It seems to me mother nature is trying to tell you something.

I am glad your OK though. keep in touch!
calamityjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for calamityjaneSend a Private Message to calamityjaneDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad that luck was with you. Thank goodness you have a generator! It will make things much easier on you guys! I hope you don't get flooded.Good luck, and be safe. It was a little exciting though wasn't it? OK, it's only exciting for those not sharing the adventure with you.

Jane

------------------
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2009 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
I loved every moment of it, CJ!! I sat with my video camera rolling for about 45 minutes waiting for the tree to topple...and then missed it when I had to get to the loo ! I will put the bit I shot of it still standing up on youtube and link to it
I love storms!! The power of Mother Nature at work! I stand on the highest point I can find and watch the lightning during electrical storms, and go out in the torrential rain! I have no fear of something I can't control..because I always expect the unexpected The only thing I WON'T stand and watch too closely is a violent sea oh, and volcanoes!! But we don't get them....yet!!
Nick
calamityjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for calamityjaneSend a Private Message to calamityjaneDirect Link to This Post
I love to watch electrical storms too. Don has been hit by lightning, so he is always afraid I will be too.

Jane

------------------

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

I have no fear of something I can't control..
Nick

We already knew you were married, Nick.

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

heybjorn

10079 posts
Member since Apr 2007

Originally posted by calamityjane:

I love to watch electrical storms too. Don has been hit by lightning, so he is always afraid I will be too.

Jane

As long as you two end up with opposite charges.

calamityjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for calamityjaneSend a Private Message to calamityjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

As long as you two end up with opposite charges.

Jane

------------------

PFF
System Bot
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2009 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Damn!! the jenny isn't big enough to power the fridge or freezer, and the power is likely to be off for another two days- Everything is MELTING!! AAAAGH!!
Nick
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2009 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by heybjorn:

We already knew you were married, Nick.

I gave up LOOOOONG ago Mike
Nick

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Damn!! the jenny isn't big enough to power the fridge or freezer, and the power is likely to be off for another two days- Everything is MELTING!! AAAAGH!!
Nick

Block ice in the fridge and freezer Nick. We moved a 25 Cubic Ft freezer from TN to ME in the back of a moving truck I drove 2 days and nothing defrosted.

Steve
Correction I used 2 blocks of dry ice. But if block ice is the only thing you can find it will work just fine. Just use that.
Isn’t this your town?

Abello Linde S.A.
Callo Bailen 105
Barcelona
Spain

Telephone: +34 93 476 74 08
Fax: +34 93 207 57 64
------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 01-25-2009).]

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-26-2009 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Steve! Solved the problem now...just turned the freezer down to the minimum, and the jenny is coping with it. took 10 hours to re-freeze, but it worked. That address is about 90 miles away Kind of you to make such an effort though. You are always there when a friend is in need
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
NEW rant !!

Now I am really fed up Went outside to check on the cars, and now I discover that a tile has smashed a hole in my pass rear light Got to get it fixed before the buyer comes to collect it, and PAY ME!!! Anybody in Europe got a nice GT rear light or lens for sale? Passenger side?

Nick
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-26-2009 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Well, the power is still not on, but the Authorities have supplied the most enormous truck-mounted generator and patched it into the sytem for our village!! I am , as I am sure everybody else here is, very grateful!! It is GINORMOUS!! As well it needs to be, I guess, to supply nearly 200 homes with enough power to run everything. Good job, Authorities!! They estimate we will be without grid power for another 3-5 days. That was some damage the hurricane did Over 75.000 houses without power in the whole of Tarragona
Nick
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-01-2009 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Quick link to a short video I made during the 'aftermath' of the hurricane/tornado. I was hoping to catch the big pine in the opening frame going down, but I moved the camera away to catch the dust and debris being thrown around..and then the window of my Jeep which was smashed by a flying tile...and missed the pine going down!!
Anyway, it is there on the ground at the end of the video Proper power was restored to us after 4 days

Nick
calamityjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for calamityjaneSend a Private Message to calamityjaneDirect Link to This Post
It's nice when you get back something that you take for granted. It makes you appreciate it that much more.

Jane

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock