Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  June 15, unveiling of the 1957 Belvedere as it happens (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
June 15, unveiling of the 1957 Belvedere as it happens by CoolBlue87GT
Started on: 06-13-2007 12:57 AM
Replies: 82
Last post by: texasfiero on 06-29-2007 11:37 AM
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2007 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
See the unveiling of the 1957 Belvedere as it happens

This unique event will also be broadcast live on KOTV.com!

http://www.kotv.com/special/buried-car/

Here's the web site with the details

http://www.forwardlook.net/...ymouth/countdown.asp

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2007 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Hope I remember that this is on, I really want to see it. -Jason
kslish

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2007 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishDirect Link to This Post
Looks like they did a preliminary unearthing this morning. It's "not a pretty sight" as water apparently seeped into the vault.......

http://newsok.com/article/3065823
AP2k

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2007 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kDirect Link to This Post
Wow thats really sad.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2007 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kslish:

Looks like they did a preliminary unearthing this morning. It's "not a pretty sight" as water apparently seeped into the vault.......

http://newsok.com/article/3065823

Wed June 13, 2007
Buried car not a pretty sight

TULSA — The rain-soaked unearthing of a 1957 Plymouth Belvedere brought tears and gasps from witnesses Wednesday morning.

The protective bag holding the car looks "pretty pitiful,” said Tulsarama coordinator Paula Hale, whose view into the vault brought tears to her eyes.

"I just lived and breathed it for so long,” she said about a minute after arriving at the Tulsa County Courthouse lawn where the car was buried 50 years.

The gold and white classic was buried in 1957 as part of Tulsa's state semicentennial celebration, to be opened during 2007.

The vault was opened to give hazardous materials experts a chance to inspect the contents of the vault, including gas and oil stowed in case those fuels and lubricants were not still in use in 2007.

Though it was sealed, fire officials said the water was as high as four feet deep inside the vault. They estimated the height as high as the car's windows.

Once officials drained water from the tomb, the bag became mud-caked. The bag looked as though it once was white.

Tears came from those like Hale because they fear the car inside may look as bad as the bag.

"I don't know why you'd get so upset about a car,” Hale said, laughing about 30 minutes after seeing the opened vault. "But my first thought was sorrow because I wanted her to be a beauty queen. It's gotten to be such an attachment for me.”

Tulsa fire Capt. Randy Springs of the HAZMAT unit said nothing hazardous was found in the vault, just some hydrocarbons from the oil and gas.

Excavators found evidence that water could have been to the top of the vault at one point, said Art Couch, who is heading up the unearthing project.

"I don't know how bad it is, but it's not good,” Couch said. "We were hoping it would be dry in there. The concrete must not have been as good as we hoped it was. It had some failures over the years; the concrete didn't hold.”

About 70 spectators watched proceedings through the fence on the Tulsa County Courthouse lawn. The vault was opened about 8:30 a.m.

One man yelled, "Jimmy's in there! Jimmy's in there!” referring to the mysterious disappearance of labor leader Jimmy Hoffa.

Steve Walter of Tulsa was 8 when his family took the bus from their home at 14th and Owasso to watch the Belvedere's planting. He and his brother signed their names and put their phone number on one of the car's tires.

He said his 8-year-old mind thought once 2007 rolled around, officials would see his name and number, call him and give him the Belvedere. He admitted to at first being sad when he saw the flooded vault.

"Fifty years ago I was younger and a little healthier, too,” he said, laughing. "Now, I'm a rust bucket also.

"It's unfortunate. But we're still going to have a fun party.”

And the party is why people from across the state, nation and world are descending on Tulsa.

Clive Reeve, 40, and his friend, Charlie Turner, 42, flew in from England for the event. Once in the United States, they drove from St. Louis to Tulsa on Route 66.

The two said they love everything from the Belvedere's era and have known about the unearthing for 3½ years. They weren't put off by the dreary weather or the submerged vault.

"We still would have come even if we knew about the condition,” Reeve said. "We were praying for mint.”

Shalonda Hunter, 35 of Tulsa stood on her tiptoes as she peered through the fence surrounding the car's exposed vault. She put her right hand on the fence, trying to leverage herself up.

She worked from 9:30 p.m. Tuesday to 8 a.m. Wednesday for her job in the medical field. She said she couldn't miss the chance to witness history.

"Oh, man, and I don't have my camera,” she said. "I haven't been to bed yet. I've been up all night long.”

Preliminary excavation began Tuesday morning to reach the vault, which was buried three feet below the ground. Today crews will test lift the car by raising it one or two feet in the air, Tulsarama spokesman Seth Spillman said.

On Friday, the car will be removed and the public will be able to see it that night during a sold-out event at the Tulsa Convention Center.

At least 7,000 tickets were sold for the unveiling at $5, $10 and $25, Hale said. The car will be shown as it is found in its vault: no waxing, buffing or shining.

Hale said the time capsule buried with the car appeared Wednesday to still be welded shut and in good condition. The name "Valerie,” could be seen written in the vault's concrete, and Hale said that was written by Valerie Randolph, who was crowned Miss Tulsarama during the city's weeklong semicentennial celebration in 1957.

On the Internet, OklaTravelNet.com will Webcast live the car's unearthing about noon Friday, and KOTV.com will have live streaming video of the public unveiling about 7 p.m. Friday. It will also air on KOTV Channel 6 in Tulsa.

The unearthing also will be simulcast in Exhibit Hall A at the Convention Center. It is free and open to the public.

Media requests to cover the unveiling have come from such places as New Zealand, Germany, Norway, Australia, California and New York.

Sharon King Davis, a centennial events co-chair, said there is hope that even if the car has been exposed to water, rust inhibitors placed on it protected the paint. It will be unclear whether the car will run until probably Friday, she said.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 06-13-2007).]

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2007 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
Thats so sad. I [we] was hoping for Christine, and we got Eleanor Roosevelt .
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2007 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Have they actually recovered the car and removed the bag yet? Everything I've seen and read suggests it's still in the bag - and they don't know if it's in tact or not, but it doesn't look good.
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2007 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
I don't think the bag was hermetically sealed .... just kind of an extra layer of protection. they said there was 4 feet of water in the vault.... with evidence that it probably was full to the top at some point or points over the 50 years. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for anything approaching good condition.

Rich
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2007 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Richjk21:

I don't think the bag was hermetically sealed .... just kind of an extra layer of protection. they said there was 4 feet of water in the vault.... with evidence that it probably was full to the top at some point or points over the 50 years. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for anything approaching good condition.

Rich

They can rebuild it.......we have the technology......
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2007 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

They can rebuild it.......we have the technology......

Latest news, after rebuilding, the unveiling !!!!

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2007 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
who would store something like that underground anyway? Really? How about storing it above ground, in a cement bunker? That would have made more sense.... I don't get it.

J.
PFF
System Bot
Richjk21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2007 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
it was a time capsule .... albeit a very big one ....... they are typically either burried or cased in the corner stones of buildings.

Rich
JCUOIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2007 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCUOITSend a Private Message to JCUOITDirect Link to This Post
I heard it was full of water, brown nasty water, when the started diggin it up in prep for unveiling, haz-mat was called in.

JC
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2007 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCUOIT:

I heard it was full of water, brown nasty water, when the started diggin it up in prep for unveiling, haz-mat was called in.

JC

Should be interesting how it survived. Wonder how bad the interior got w/ the water up the windows.

As far as haz-mat,
" Tulsa fire Capt. Randy Springs of the HAZMAT unit said nothing hazardous was found in the vault, just some hydrocarbons from the oil and gas."
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2007 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Its not looking good is it?

I'll be trying to watch from work, along with 5 or 6 other guys.

If anyone has the ability to record this, or find a copy on youtube let me know.

Brad
Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2007 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
I am in agreeance, I"ll be @ f'ing work until 9 tomorrow and won't be able to watch so anyone please record or find it on youtube
ED77KATR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ED77KATRSend a Private Message to ED77KATRDirect Link to This Post
Please if anyone can post pics of the buried car here a big thanks ED
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Just watched em pull it out, I hope somebody could record this, it looks bad, real bad, I can see the taillight cover through a hole in the plastic.
They have showed the mud at the bottom of the crypt. Like I said, its not good, but they are not showing the car til 7pm central time.

Brad
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
The EPA should fine the city for allowing oil/gas to escape into the environment

Could you imagine if you or I tried burying a car in the back yard and tell them it was a "time capsule". "Honestly officer, It is a time capsule.... I am going to dig it up in ...ah... 50 years... yeah"

J.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Ooooo Boyd is there....
PFF
System Bot
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

who would store something like that underground anyway? Really? How about storing it above ground, in a cement bunker? That would have made more sense.... I don't get it.

J.

That's likely because you weren't alive in 1957. There has been a LOT of scientific knowledge and advance in the last 50 years. You don't get it because you are using that knowledge. They didn't have that knowledge in 1957. In 1957, you buried things.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Well...I bet if you asked any real engineer, he/she would have said "water always wins". Even in 1957, they knew water would be a problem to anything underground. I can't believe we learned this since 1957.

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Boyd's worried about the amount of rust on the bottom of the car, but he's still optimistic.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I read that they actually stored gasoline in the vault for the car as well. That surprises me as I had no idea that gas could be stored for so long (even with some sort of stabilizer added).

However, it sounds like stale gas will be the least of their problems with this car. Instead of burying it perhaps they should've hidden it in a barn somewhere.
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Heh, they probably figured we'd all be zoomin' around in flying cars and inflatable "zinderfoos"...

I wonder what's in the trunk?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

I wonder what's in the trunk?

From all accounts so far, I'd say water.

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

From all accounts so far, I'd say water.

LOL

It was really neat seeing it getting puled out, I wished they had better video though.

Brad
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

Heh, they probably figured we'd all be zoomin' around in flying cars and inflatable "zinderfoos"...

No. They probably figured that we wouldn't be able to find leaded gasoline for a 1957 Plymouth in 2007.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
I can't get any video to play on the KOTV website. I'd love to watch this. Anyone have any suggestions? I've only got an hour and a half to figure this out.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
5 Min till the live webcast

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 06-15-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
wkayl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wkaylSend a Private Message to wkaylDirect Link to This Post
It looks to be in the condition I feared.

And, please, don't someone say it
Richjk21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
what .... that it'll buff right out
isthiswhereiputausername?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post
Jeez.. it is better shape then some of the 20 year old cars on the roads up here that spent the winters on the salted roads

my 88 chevy had more rust then it
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
A ton of pics of the unearthing http://www.tulsachevys.com/...buriedcar/index.html
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

With those fins, it looks like they dug up a large prehistoric fish!

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Don't worry, they have another chance. In 1998, a Prowler prototype was buried along with other artifacts in a time capsule to be unearthed in 2048 for the city's centennial.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Gokart Mozart

12143 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

I can't get any video to play on the KOTV website. I'd love to watch this. Anyone have any suggestions? I've only got an hour and a half to figure this out.

Youtube is your friend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2cPBl6scJk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ICYBiTI5vQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9UxL9jqe_s

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

With those fins, it looks like they dug up a large prehistoric fish!

lol , I was thinking the same thing when I saw that shot.
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2007 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
A friend of mine has a '57 Belvedere convertable with less than 100K on the odometer. It is a little rough, but a truely beautiful car (and I don't even like Dodge/Plymouth). I kid around with him and call his car "The Time Machine" because it is like going back in time to sit behind the huge steering wheel and press the "D" button on the dash and take off.
What did the buried car look like when it came out?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock