Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Community Service - There, Their, and They're (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Community Service - There, Their, and They're by APShaughnessy
Started on: 11-14-2004 11:48 AM
Replies: 59
Last post by: lurker on 11-18-2004 01:21 PM
APShaughnessy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for APShaughnessySend a Private Message to APShaughnessyDirect Link to This Post
As of late I have noticed a wide misuse of the words There, Their, and They're. Now, I'm not anal with this but I know a few people would like to know if they are using it wrong so they don't use the wrong form in a very moving thread. SO, no no further adue, let class begin.

There.
There is used, as a pronoun, to introduce a clause or sentence or to indicate an unspecified person in direct address.
Examples of this are: "There are numerous items.", "There must be another exit.", Or "Hello, There."
There is used, as an adjective, especially for emphasis after the demonstrative pronoun that or those, or after a noun modified by the demonstrative adjective that or those, or for emphasis between a demonstrative adjective meaning “that” or “those” and a noun
Examples: "That person there ought to know the directions to town.", Or "Them there beans ought to be picked."

In other words, "There" is used to describe where someone, or something, is.

Their.
Their is used, only as a adjective, to show possession.
Examples: "their accomplishments; their home town."

In other words, "Their" is used to show that something belongs to you or to someone else.

They're.
They're. is the contraction of "They are" and is to be used when trying to describe what someone else is doing.
Examples: "They're going to the store."

In other words, "They're" is used to indicate others actions.

I hope this helps yall out!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Liquid-Reality

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 196
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Liquid-RealitySend a Private Message to Liquid-RealityDirect Link to This Post
yeah thanks for the lesson....
APShaughnessy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for APShaughnessySend a Private Message to APShaughnessyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Liquid-Reality:

Anytime.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Stay tuned for "to, too, and two."

APShaughnessy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for APShaughnessySend a Private Message to APShaughnessyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Don't tempt me

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by APShaughnessy:
Dat kallage edjumakashu is be learnin me gud.

Good thread. Sometimes we do not even relize what we are actually saying. Words are powerful especially when used correctly. The pen is mightier than the sword.

APShaughnessy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for APShaughnessySend a Private Message to APShaughnessyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Good thread. Sometimes we do not even relize what we are actually saying. Words are powerful especially when used correctly. The pen is mightier than the sword.

Wow a positive reply? The lack of sarcsm in your post scares me Cliff.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Wow a positive reply? The lack of sarcsm in your post scares me Cliff.

You have me worried. I use sarcasm but I hope I do so for humorous content and not to ridicule.

APShaughnessy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for APShaughnessySend a Private Message to APShaughnessyDirect Link to This Post

You have me worried. I use sarcasm but I hope I do so for humorous content and not to ridicule.

I only ade y sarcasm comment because everyone else who has replied had used a sarcastic tone.

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post

As of late I have noticed a wide misuse of the words There, Their, and They're.

Okay...you've got my attention...

Now, I'm not anal with this but I know a few people would like to know if they are using it wrong so they don't use the wrong form in a very moving thread.

Who do you know that would like to know if they're using it wrong? Wouldn't it be better to say that they'd like to know if they're using it correctly? Which highly moving threads are they concerned about?

SO, no no further adue, let class begin.

Shouldn't that read "SO, with no further adieu, let class begin"? Let those without sin cast the first stone....

Sorry, AP....it's a Sunday morning, I'm in a weird mood, and I'm just playin' with you. Whenever one of these threads pop up, though, it's always like a magnet for me, and others, too...."let's see how many mistakes he makes while he's correcting us". I'm sure I've made a few mistakes in what I've written, too.

Have a good Sunday..

APShaughnessy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for APShaughnessySend a Private Message to APShaughnessyDirect Link to This Post
T'sall good. Everyone makes mistakes. I've pointed that out to a few people on these boards and they thanked me for it so I decided to post this. Take for example, in CoolBlue's T-Bird post he has a post that he uses these three words in every instance. I'm sure that post would have had a bit more standing with me if I hadn't been critiquing it the entire time. Plus, I'm going to make typos, after all I am just using a laptop and watching football.
PFF
System Bot
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post11-14-2004 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Yep!! It should be "with no further ADO!!" (Shakespeare, y'know!!)
Nick
fierofetish

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 11-14-2004).]

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post

I use sarcasm but I hope I do so for humorous content and not to ridicule.

You're missing out, young grasshopper.

LITEDAZE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LITEDAZESend a Private Message to LITEDAZEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Liquid-Reality:

as simple as it seems, there are probably a nice handful of people that will benefit from this......

...from Van Wylder .: "write that down!"

------------------

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
From the master sarcaster:

Originally posted by JohnnyK:

You're missing out, young grasshopper.

btw, JohnnyK, cliffw is your senior.
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

From the master sarcaster:
btw, JohnnyK, cliffw is your senior.

Yeah, I know.. We'll go by PFF sign-up dates for this one time then..

(I was going to say everyone was my senior, but it occured to me that PFF has had an influx of youngins)

[This message has been edited by JohnnyK (edited 11-14-2004).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I covered that one a couple months ago

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by LITEDAZE:

as simple as it seems, there are probably a nice handful of people that will benefit from this......

...from Van Wylder .: "write that down!"

Prolly the people who have problems with they're car's breaks because they don't no how to fix them.

APShaughnessy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for APShaughnessySend a Private Message to APShaughnessyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Prolly the people who have problems with they're car's breaks because they don't no how to fix them.

...problems with their car's brea....

[This message has been edited by APShaughnessy (edited 11-14-2004).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

were you about to say their car's breaks????

fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post11-14-2004 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

brakes...ahha!!
Nick
fierofetish

PFF
System Bot
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post

OK, lets not loose sight of the thread, here, folks. You all know where your dictionary is at.

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 11-14-2004).]

APShaughnessy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for APShaughnessySend a Private Message to APShaughnessyDirect Link to This Post

were you about to say their car's breaks????

What are you talking about? I copied what the guy said word for word with the correction from they're to their, hence the "..." in the beginning and end.

[This message has been edited by APShaughnessy (edited 11-14-2004).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Probably the people who have problems with their cars brakes because they don't know how to fix them.

Ah that's better

APShaughnessy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for APShaughnessySend a Private Message to APShaughnessyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Probably the people who have problems with their cars brakes because they don't know how to fix them.

Ah that's better

LoL, gramatically pwned.

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
I thought he was doing that on purpose, wasn't he?
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnnyK:

I thought he was doing that on purpose, wasn't he?

Bingo.

Some other very common mistakes:

Brake / Break - Your car has brakes - not breaks.
Counsel is not the thing between your seats. A counsel is a group of people. A CONSOLE is the thing between your seats.
no / know - You'd be surprised how many people don't "no" when to use the word "know."
then / than - You'd rather do this THAN that, but most people say they'd rather do this THEN that.

And there's lots more. I just thought it was ironic that APS used the wrong word in correcting my grammar. Yes, I spelled it that way on purpose.

APShaughnessy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for APShaughnessySend a Private Message to APShaughnessyDirect Link to This Post

Bingo.

Counsel is not the thing between your seats. A counsel is a group of people. A CONSOLE is the thing between your seats.
no / know - You'd be surprised how many people don't "no" when to use the word "know."
then / than - You'd rather do this THAN that, but most people say they'd rather do this THEN that.

And there's lots more. I just thought it was ironic that APS used the wrong word in correcting my grammar. Yes, I spelled it that way on purpose.

, Just fixing the word that I was discussing. To be honest, I didn't even notice the other mistakes.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:

OK, lets not loose sight of the thread, here, folks. You all know where your dictionary is at.

I sure do: http://www.dictionary.com

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Unless you drive a Fiero, then you have both

"The brakes don't work, and something always breaks"

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Unless you drive a Fiero, then you have both

"The brakes don't work, and something always breaks"

That's true. If your brakes break, you've got problems.
But if your breaks brake, that's ok. (i.e. - stuff stops breaking....)

PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
You forgot:

The air: The hot variant of which you are filled.

thanks for the community service message.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Formula88's jest: Prolly the people who have problems with they're car's breaks because they don't no how to fix them.

RWDPLZ's attempt at correction: Probably the people who have problems with their cars brakes because they don't know how to fix them.

[my head explodes]

It's not even a complete sentence. Second of all, the word "cars" needs to have an apostrophe in it somewhere, to denote possession, i.e. "car's brakes" or "cars' brakes". Third, you have confusing pronouns... two 3rd-person plural pronouns (they and them) pointing to two different nouns. "They" could refer to the people or the brakes. Likewise for "them". And finally, I believe there should be a comma after the word "brakes", to seperate the two phrases.

Sorry, couldn't help it. I usually don't pay much attention to other people's grammar. But since you were trying to cite a correct example...

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 11-14-2004).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I personally dont care if they use bad spelling or correct english use as long as we get the point. I try to be correct, but im not anal about it myself. I dont generally use ' correctly either.

In fact the only things i ever failed in school were 11th grade english and typing.....now look at me typing and in sentences

Why arent smilies in the english language btw ? I think keyboards should have a row of keys with the most common ones.

Weponhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WeponheadSend a Private Message to WeponheadDirect Link to This Post
That reminds me of sitting waiting to get my hair cut one day , and a woman was looking over her sons homework assignments "who was in about 2'nd grade" And was amazed by the revalation of the difference between "to , two and too" Shes like I DONT EVEN KNOW THAT! why does my son need to? i cant do my sons 2'nd grade homework how sad is that? haha i had to keep from giggling... as she wasnt talking to me :P
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by litespd:

"Let those without sin cast the first stone..."

<< zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...THWAP! >>

"Mom?! Sometimes you really piss me off!"

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post

Bingo.

There's is a contracton of there is. You probably meant to say there are.

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post

NEPTUNE

10199 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Originally posted by Toddster:

You forgot:

The air: The hot variant of which you are filled.

thanks for the community service message.

"WITH which you are filled" would be much more better, sir.

donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post11-14-2004 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
What ever happened to the good ol' days where this thread would be bombarded with "THIS THREAD IS GHEY" pics?

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero 3.4L 4spd
www.cardomain.com/id/donk_316

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Shall we go for "sell" and "for sale"?

Hey... I'm *here* for you guys.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock