Started on: 01-27-2001 07:41 PM
Replies: 44
Last post by: FieroJoe on 02-05-2001 09:49 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2001 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Don't get me wrong, its a great forum, and the guys here are great too...

But people gotta learn to USE THE SEARCH function!!!

I mean, I see people asking the same question that was answered in a forum as little as a week earlier!!

Don't be lazy, use the search function. I'm sure you know who YOU are!!

ohhh - had to get that off

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fropuff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2001 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fropuffSend a Private Message to fropuffDirect Link to This Post
Another one is when the impatient ones *bump* their post to the top like five minutes after the original posting. After a few hours, it's fine, but come on. Use that time to sift through the thousands of posts related to the same frickin thing. Sorry to sound harsh, but this is a nice place to say those kinds of things.

------------------
Fuzz busters are for those who are worried about being caught.

Black88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2001 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post
If new guys used the search function, it would eliminate like a million of those posts that we see ALL THE TIME. Like recently the oil pressure gauge thing. That must have been covered a bazillion times in the past.

And like fropuff said with the bump thing. I thing some people have 1000+ posts when half of them are "TOP" or "SIG TEST" posts. The SIG TEST post is another thing....

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2001 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Well, to be totally honest, I don't mind people asking the same questions over and over again. By now almost every question has been asked and answered. Besides, re-discussing a certain topic gives new insights in old problems.

But people already are using the search function more and asking less technical questions. You can tell because the GFC and TO/T sections are growing more rapidly than the TD&Q section. This used to be the other way around. PFF is becoming more of a social gathering. I read a lot of messages every day - not because I need to learn more about Fieros but because it's so darn fun in here! People are generally very well behaved, and some threads are hilarious to read. Sometimes I even enjoy the flamewars (sometimes - so don't get any ideas now)!

In short, if a new member asks a question that has been asked before, cut him/her a little slack and perhaps even direct him to a related thread. It's more fun actively discussing a subject than to passively read on one...

fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2001 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
One of mine is people who won't spend $10 and get a shop manual. It doensn't have to be a factory issue, any Haynes or Chiltons or similar is fine. I'm willing to bet one of those books would cut the time some people spend on projects by more than %50, rather than "post and wait". Another is get a Spotters Guide. Its only $5 and answers tons of questions asked about models and production numbers and such.
2xsess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2001 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2xsessSend a Private Message to 2xsessDirect Link to This Post
I like Cliff's point of view.

but I do agree with the fact that some of our more um senior(for lack of a better word, no age reference) members would use the search. but definitely cut the newbies a little slack. We were all there once.

------------------
Jeff
AOL IM : Only2xsess

http://kresgeus.homestead.com/FieroPage.html

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2001 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
New people dont always know whats available here or how all the pages work. give em some time. Never hurts to revisit old issues. It was a year before I even knew there was a search function. All us oldies should cut newbies some slack and be glad there here. Everyone here enjoys going to as many car shows and cruises they can, only to see mostly the same cars. Im very sure Ive asked some questions in my time that have been answered a million times too.

my 2-cents

BTW Dennis Pontiac in Columbus,ohio, is having its annual all Pontiac swap meet Feb 11. details in post in Fiero Related

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-27-2001).]

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2001 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
on my very first post the first reply was someone (yeah, i remember who but why name names) jumping on me for asking an old question. put me off just a bit and i remember apologising for asking, but i still needed to know.

if someone asks a well covered question i know somebody will point out the search or someone will answer anyway. mainly repeticious questions just let you know it's a common problem. if it got answered once and everyone after that just looked up that answer you'd never really know how many people had fought with the same problem. you'd also never get any new solutions to it.

the search funtion is still not quite automatic to me. sometimes i ask, then go to search 'cause i realise later that i could have.

just don't answer if they annoy you. either they'll fade to the bottom or even better, maybe some fresh minds will take a crack at it and come up with better and/or different alternatives.

Black88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2001 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I guess I can see Cliff's viewpoint.

But gust to give you guys a couple examples...

Example #1 - I was wondering what the normal oil pressure should be. So I thought instead of jumping right in a starting a new topic, I would search it first. Well I found 2 pages of topics that told me everything I needed to know about oil pressure and the sending unit. Come to find out, my oil pressure is perfect. (30-40 at idle and 60-65 at 2000 RPM)

Example #2 - I was in the market for an ignition box. I wasn't sure between the Crane HI-6, MSD 6AL, or the big bucks Jacobs unit (not sure of name or part#). So I searched them and found the MSD is the best for the price (Jacobs is twice MSD) and with a GM wiring harness I don't have to cut any wires. I got the part numbers for wiring harness, ordered it from summit, and bam that was it. No new post needed.

So thats where I am coming from, but I will try to take a better approach from now on to the newbies questions.

------------------
Jeff
'88 GT t-top 3.4
Baltimore, MD

wkayl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2001 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wkaylSend a Private Message to wkaylDirect Link to This Post
I don't mind someone asking the same question. One question asked recently was about v6 exhaust manifold. After looking at a few responses, I did a search and found more information (BTW, I have a cracked forward manifold). By reading the current posts and doing the search, I have a better understanding on how involved a job it will be.

------------------

86GT original paint, interior, engine http://www.fierowayne.homestead.com/fierowayne.html

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2001 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
treatment of spelling and grammar inparied by self apointed grammar + spelling police.no I dont type or spell well but have no need of abuse about it my ideas will get enuff of that. ray
PFF
System Bot
Fret Naught

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2001 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fret NaughtSend a Private Message to Fret NaughtDirect Link to This Post
I say CHILL!!!!, so what if the same Q gets asked more than once, a friend of mine that I turned onto this site only yesterday asked one question about turbo charging, his only reply "this topic has been covered alot use the seach function" only problem is his computer isn't new and fast, the search function was super slow like 5 min. (we don't have ther lateset and greatest ISP'S out here in the boonies either) I must admit, I have asked duplicate questions before, OGRE and tgowens were real cool they just offered up a comment and a link and I was on my way. My 2 cents
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2001 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps we do need a Fiero FAQ. I know this has been discussed several times as well but maybe we should go ahead and make one.

We can make this a joint project between PFF members. I can create a new thread and everybody can submit a Question with an Answer. I can then collect these and put them in a FAQ.

KRMFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2001 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KRMFieroSend a Private Message to KRMFieroDirect Link to This Post
http://www.floridafieros.org/osg/osg.html

they have a nice Online service guide, thats what i always look at before i post something... they have alot of information there, maybe we can ask them if we can use some of there information to get a FAQ page here.

Kyle

stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post01-28-2001 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:
treatment of spelling and grammar inparied by self apointed grammar + spelling police. ray

I'll have you know that I was duly appointed as Grammar + Spelling Policeman by the Queen of jolly old England Herself! Bwuhahahahaha!

------------------
Loud Pipes Save Lives!

2xsess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2001 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2xsessSend a Private Message to 2xsessDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, that's a great idea!!
Greg Piet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2001 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg PietClick Here to visit Greg Piet's HomePageSend a Private Message to Greg PietDirect Link to This Post
Well I have done the search thing a few times knowing that there was a thread before, but sometimes I just cant find it.

I think in the Tech section a very direct subject will make searching easier.

good ex: Cluth bleeding HELP!
bad ex: Help! My car doenst run!

the bad ex could be anything from no gas to a seized engine.

And Finally... my pet peeve would be the lack of numbers (with exception to the recent brake calculations)... My recent example of this was the great interest in those intrax springs, but no one else seemed to care about the actual comparative numbers between brands to make an educated decision about what to buy (stiffness vs ride height).

I know what Black88GT is talking about...

Somewhere when I did my MSD I got some part numbers from someone else, then I put the part numbers that I bought hoping that someone would do a search and have an easy time getting the proper MSD parts... looks like it worked(even if it wasnt my post).

But in general PFF is a great place!!!!!

------------------
SCCA Region 72
#47 CSP
Bring it to the track.
Lets see if all those mods really helped!

ur2biteme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2001 05:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ur2bitemeClick Here to visit ur2biteme's HomePageSend a Private Message to ur2bitemeDirect Link to This Post
well now. hopefully no one is really getting postal over this. i mean, there are only a couple things that really bug me. the vague titles of posts is one.

sometimes the general question gets answered, but the little detail they were really looking for was overlooked. i've noticed on some topics that someone wants a rather specific question answered, and it looks like the person who responded didnt pay too much attention to the whole question and missed the specifics that they were really looking for. dont ask for examples, i'm horrible at remembering these kinds of specifics.

other than that, repetitive posts dont really bother me that much. on occasion, i have gone through the archives and such looking for somethin, and i find everything pertaining to the topic i'm looking for, except for the 1 little detail that i wanted in the first place (like my compression number question a little while back).

aight. time for my buttocks to get to bed. carry on. lol

------------------
Bob's '87 econo coupe
170k awaiting a tranny:(
http://members.fortunecity.com/ur2biteme

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2001 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Oh, man. Now I'm gonna have to do a search before I post anything, just in case some one beat me to the punch?!?

Maybe we should just close the forum and just have a big button named "SEARCH" with a subtitle explaing "This a COMPLETE knowledge database. All questions about your Fiero, any year, any model, have already been asked and answered. No new insight or perspective can be added."

I'd sure hate to see the group develop that kind of pious attitude. There is nothing wrong with recommending a search, just try not to come across as thinking the qustion is trivial. Remember, if their Fiero is their only transportation and it's giving them problems, their question is VERY important to them. Be considerate with you response or just move on.

Done preaching,
Roy

stimpy

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-29-2001 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
Amen, brother fixit!
buds

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2001 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
The funny thing is this subject has been discussed several times over.If every one uses search we have no reason to come on here until we have a problem ourselves.
PFF
System Bot
stimpy

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-29-2001 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
Hey BUDS, are you suggesting that someone should have done a search before posting this thread? hehe
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2001 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
we dont need any grammer police, lol, besides I thought Okies used smoke signals, lol. I cant always spell, but just so you get the point across, who cares.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2001 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Stimpy - I did a search. Members have been recommending to people to do a search because there is so much information on often-discussed topics. It appears some don't listen, and expect others to do the searching for them.

I'm not trying to start a war here.

Hey... I also do my best to help people with questions not covered anywhere...

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 01-29-2001).]

FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2001 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post
Spelling I can live with once and a while, as long as I can decipher the intent of the word. Punctuation is a different story. Run on sentances are a pain. There has been times that I was going to post a reply to a topic, but I decided not to because the whole topic was one large sentence, and I really didnt have a clue to what they were really trying to ask.

So here, use periods, and dont type in all caps, that gets annoying too.

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2001 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
lack of closesure most dont come back after they fixed it and say what was wrong , they asked board to help but dont come back say outcome.
long QUOTES one or two lines should do it .
Eric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2001 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EricSend a Private Message to EricDirect Link to This Post
Not to sound like a jerk Fiero Joe, but check out your last sentence. That's called a run on.
stimpy

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-31-2001 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
fierosound, I know where you are coming from, and actually I see you as being a guy who is always wlling to post a response in your area of expertise. Kudos to you for that. I know that this subject as been discussed before, and from what I've seen in the past year, there is nothing to discuss that has not been discussed before.
Now, as far as the three month cycle between postings of the Honda with the really big tailpipe, yeah, it gets old. But with new members joining at an ever astounding rate, I relish getting insight from fresh sources. Plus it gives me the chance to tell my same stupid jokes to a new audiance.
Anyhow, to summise, I value the search button and do recommend that people use it. But I do not think that people should stop posting new threads because it was covered before. Someone will always be able to brig a fresh insight.
Peace, bro.
TheFiero64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2001 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheFiero64Click Here to visit TheFiero64's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheFiero64Direct Link to This Post
My pet peeve is when people post a topic in the incorrect forum. I've seen lots of posts in tech. that belong in general. I have seen this get worse the last couple of months too.

------------------
Josh
88 Coupe V6

My pics

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2001 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
The thing that gets me is when people post the same post into all of the areas. It looks kind of inane when the same post by the same person is in the tech, general, mall, and O/T areas. Then they complain when nobody replies to the post under general but in the tech area they have many answers.
TheFiero64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2001 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheFiero64Click Here to visit TheFiero64's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheFiero64Direct Link to This Post
I know what you mean Oreif
PFF
System Bot
Joe4x4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2001 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe4x4Click Here to visit Joe4x4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe4x4Direct Link to This Post
FAQ ....sounds like a good idea.
Bigger button for the word (search).
I don`t mind double post`s , somtimes new ideas come out of it.
This is one of the best sites out here...
I`m in here 3-4 times a day .
Cliff it would be great if you could get that chat window working ( I would be here all day .... )

Very cool site ....

------------------
Fiero got fire

Alex2004

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2001 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex2004Send a Private Message to Alex2004Direct Link to This Post
I searched before i posted! haha I don't really understand why some of you get all upset for people asking the same question, i mean...if you see a "repeat" question, and decide to get all pissed about seeing them, just don't answer it or post a topic about how people need to use the search feature. just a question but did you use it before you posted this one ? So just chill...watch some tv, god forbid they might show a re-run ! But it's not a big deal! Thank you, just my 2 cents. (no flame intended)

Alex...

COUNTIBLIS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for COUNTIBLISSend a Private Message to COUNTIBLISDirect Link to This Post
Hell I cant spell worth a damn. I'm so used to word doing it for me. I need the spelling police and welcome them! No I think my problem is when I get so excited when I want to post something, I dont proof read and go back over my stuff, I just post.

------------------

batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2001 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
ATTENTION CLIFF! I'd be willing to help out some on FAQs, if you want. I think it's a great idea. I'm sure Ogre probably has half the info we need at his finger tips right now. For example, every few months, someone asks about installing ralley gauges. We have to dig up that old topic I wrote explaining the procedure. Things covered in detail elsewhere could be linked, maybe.
FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2001 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Eric:
Not to sound like a jerk Fiero Joe, but check out your last sentence. That's called a run on.

DOH!

fropuff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2001 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fropuffSend a Private Message to fropuffDirect Link to This Post
Don't feel bad; at least you broke it up a bit with the commas. I'm not a stickler for punctuation, but separation of the sentence is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

------------------
Fuzz busters are for those who are worried about being caught.

Eric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2001 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EricSend a Private Message to EricDirect Link to This Post
I'm impressed, Fropuff. ;;;; They work like commas.
GT Bastard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2001 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
LOL at Fierojoe and Eric...
FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2001 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post
I hate english!! I am much more of a physics and math type. I make up my own grammar rules as I go, however I see fit...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock