Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  30th Anniversary Autocross Event - Official Thread (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
30th Anniversary Autocross Event - Official Thread by R Runner
Started on: 05-05-2013 01:16 PM
Replies: 60
Last post by: zmcdonal on 06-14-2013 10:25 PM
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2013 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Updated: 6/13/13

THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELED.

I want to thank everyone who signed up and rest assured that there will be a full refund.
The event was canceled due to low participation.

Fellow Fiero Friends,

I am pleased to announce that in conjunction with the Fiero 30th Anniversary event, an Autocross will be held on Thursday June 27th, 2013 at Speedrome in Indianapolis, Indiana. This event will give you a chance to “performance” drive your Fiero in a controlled coarse while being timed. We have coordinated the event with the Indianapolis Region SCCA so if you have been to an SCCA Autocross in the past, it will be very similar.

You can pre-register on line here: http://www.fiero30th.com/index.php?menu=regi1 or the morning of the event at Speedrome.

For those not familiar with Autocross, this is an event where pylons are placed in a parking lot or open paved area to form a course of obstacles that must be negotiated. Typically the fastest time wins.
Please bring your drivers license to the event.

Once you arrive at Speedrome, it will be necessary to sign a waiver. The person with the waiver to sign will be standing at the gate. They will give you an arm band once you sign.

After signing the waiver, you will need to go to the registration table (bus) and check in. If you have already pre-registered, I will have your name and I will check you off as "present". I will need to see your drivers license and then and give you another armband signifying that you are a driver. IF you have NOT preregistered, you can register at this time and get your armband.

Next, you will go park in an area and prepare your car. When you are ready, you can let one of us know and the SCCA members will perform a tech inspection.

While people are arriving, pylons (orange cones) are placed on course to make a route for cars to follow. People get to walk through the course so that they know where to drive. Often white lines are painted or “chalked” on to the pavement to help show the location of the “track” or course. This is typically referred to as a “walk through”. The idea here is to decide where to drive the car on course. Do you want to take the inside line around a curve? Outside line? Will this set the car up properly for the next turn? A lot of times, people not familiar with performance driving will follow an instructor around and ask questions about car position and ways to best navigate the course. This is one excellent way to learn about driving your car to its potential.

Next there will be a drivers meeting to discuss safety and the way the event will proceed.

The first car to the gate will pull up slowly. There will be a signal or person at the starting line telling you when it is safe to start your run on course.
The object is to make it correctly through the course in the least amount of time without hitting any cones or driving the wrong way or off the course. Hitting cone adds time to your run. Going off course disqualifies you from the run (meaning your time will not count).

After successfully driving the course, you will come to a slow idle speed and safely proceed to the proper area as described in the drivers meeting.

Typically there will be at least three runs. The best time is the one that will be used for scoring. Because this is not an official SCCA event, the scores will really not matter. However the times can be used as “bragging rights” that night and during the Fiero Show!

The real benefit to an event like this is to gain driving skill and enjoy your Fiero.

All cars that pass the safety inspection listed below are allowed to run. It does not matter if the car is bone stock or a full purpose built tube chassis race car. Classing of the car will tell you what other cars that entered are approximately the same performance level as your car. This is a guideline for comparison. The idea is that driving skill is more important than car performance.

There will be groups of cars that will run. For example, if there are 30 cars at the event, there may be 10 cars in heat 1, 10 in heat 2 and 10 in heat 3. While heat one is driving, heat 2 drivers will be picking up cones that get accidentally hit. Safety is VERY important for people picking up cones as this is the most dangerous place to be. Always follow the instruction of the Safety Steward. The drivers from heat 3 may be working on their cars during the same time period.

I know that I left a lot out, but hopefully that will give people a good idea of what to expect. There is NO PRESSURE to be a driving ace. In fact, I would rather see people with little experience or first time performance drivers. These are the people that can benefit the most!

To see what it is like, check out the video below (Website showing other cars Autocrossing at the Speedrome)

THIS EVENT WILL HAPPEN RAIN OR SHINE

When:
Thursday, June 27, 2013

802 South Kitley Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46219
http://www.speedrome.com/

Registration Fee:
$ 40.00 to run. Spectators are FREE.

Registration Website:
http://www.fiero30th.com/index.php?menu=regi1
The ON-LINE registration deadline is June 19. After that please plan to register at Speedrome the morning of the Autocross Event.

Classes:
We will NOT have classes for this event. This will be considered a "fun run". However there will be timing lights so that you can determine if you improved over your last run and by how much.

Event Schedule:

Start Time: End Time:

• 8:00 AM Gates Open (Start Setup - unload cars)
  • 8:20 AM 9:20 AM Registration Open
  • 8:20 AM 9:20 AM Technical inspection of cars and equipment
  • 8:30 AM 9:30 AM Course walk through
  • 9:30 AM 9:50 AM Drivers meeting (9:20 Registration Closed)
  • 10:00 AM 4:00 PM Autocross In Progress
  • 12:00 PM 1:00 PM Lunch
  • 4:00 PM 4:15 PM Closing Meeting
  • 4:15 PM 5:00 PM Clean Up

Technical Inspection Requirements:

• Loose items out of interior (including floor mats if not a clip or latch style).
  • Brake and Steering fluids are sufficient.
  • No excessive fluid leaks.
  • Brakes have adequate pedal.
  • Snap-on hubcaps, trim rings removed
  • Tires have sufficient tread.
  • Wheel bearings, shocks, steering in good condition.
  • Seat belts properly installed, inertia reels operational, good condition.
  • Battery securely attached independent of container.
  • Throttle return action safe & positive.
  • Helmet meets Snell 2010, 2005 or 2000.
  • Engine oil vent tank & coolant vent tank (Race prepared vehicles)
  • Fuel or Oil lines in cockpit must either be covered or there must be drain holes in the floor.
  • Roll bars, if installed, must meet the minimum requirements of SCCA, NASA, or another recognized sanctioning body.
    Please Remember:
    [list]
  • All Participants must register.
  • All Cars must pass tech inspection.
  • All Helmets must pass tech inspection.
  • Participants must wear closed toe shoes.
  • Numbers must be displayed on side of the car.
  • All Drivers must attend the Drivers Meeting.

The SCCA will have helmets that can be used (no fee) however, it would be best to provide your own if you have one.
Website showing other cars Autocrossing at the Speedrome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw3-q22EAWQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYBVz987ulo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dec2IRROFpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIdYOfv6I2Q

I can tell you from experience that this will be a TON of fun. It will give you a chance to push your car to its limits with nearly no chance of damage. Each driver will get multiple runs over the 5 to 6 hour event run time. There will be several people there willing and able to help with driving technique and how to attack each turn. Each run will take approximately 45 to 50 seconds.

Autocross is more of a “spirited driving” than an all-out thrashing of the car. With that in mind, it will be possible to drive show cars in this event with minimal concern of damage.

Cars and equipment will be subject to a technical inspection prior running. I will post a list of the items later so that each driver can have their car in an acceptable condition.

I will also post a detailed event schedule as soon as possible. Gates will open at 7:00 am. The first car off will be at approximately 10:00 am and we will be required to leave the track (with all items picked up) by 5:00 pm.

This thread will be updated from time to time, so please check back frequently.

If you have any questions, feel free to post or send me a PM. My email is also available: rrunner@egyptian.net

I would like to thank the Indy SCCA for helping with this event! Please visit their website if you are interested in performance driving: http://www.indyscca.org/

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

[This message has been edited by R Runner (edited 06-13-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2013 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsDirect Link to This Post
---------------------GOOD DEAL-------------------------
FieroWannaBe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2013 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
Awesome,

Just something I wanted to see at the event. More motivation to get my car ready.
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2013 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
This should be a real good time. I know that some of the SCCA guys will be happy to help instruct as requested. I will also be available to help as well. I am planning to have my car ready.
The coarse looks flat and a good surface for this event.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2013 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
I'll watch.. never drive the car your plan to race, to the races. For me it is a long haul home with a broken car.
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2013 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Bump to the top.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2013 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Is there a spectator area, and is it free?
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2013 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Is there a spectator area, and is it free?

I only know of a fee to enter the Autocross. I expect spectators are free, but I do not know at this time.
Or you could enter.... It's going to be fun! Setting in the stands is really boring compared with driving.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2013 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
I am in!

The website doesn't have this event listed where you can select/pay for it yet. I assume when it does show up I can register for just this event since I have already registered/paid for the show.
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2013 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
The website has not been updated yet. However it soon will be.

Glad to see you are going to make it, Paul!
Christine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2013 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineDirect Link to This Post
I would like to do the autocross and I have a helmet but I am not sure if it is ok to use, how can you tell?

Here are the pictures of the helmet and tags; can you tell me if it is acceptable for the autocross event in Indy?
If you do not know can you post where to find the requirements?

Thanks

PFF
System Bot
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Christine.... Snell 2005 is acceptable for the Autocross event. Also you could use a Snell 2000, or Snell 2010. Motorcycle helmets are the helmets that are commonly mistaken for acceptable helmets for automotive events. It looks like you are in good shape.

I cannot say for certain about Indy because I have not seen any rules, but I would think that it is okay because the helmet you have in intended for automotive performance use.

Originally posted by Christine:

I would like to do the autocross and I have a helmet but I am not sure if it is ok to use, how can you tell?

Here are the pictures of the helmet and tags; can you tell me if it is acceptable for the autocross event in Indy?
If you do not know can you post where to find the requirements?

Thanks

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Bump....

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

I only know of a fee to enter the Autocross. I expect spectators are free, but I do not know at this time.
Or you could enter.... It's going to be fun! Setting in the stands is really boring compared with driving.

This is true. So a daily driver street car is fine, no cage, no special seatbelts, Stock car, etc?
I likley cant get there early enough but maybe more detail for the track novice will entice more people
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I am in!

The website doesn't have this event listed where you can select/pay for it yet. I assume when it does show up I can register for just this event since I have already registered/paid for the show.

Yes, this is how it will have to be due to the time it has taken to get the side events finalized. Hopefully, it will be up there shortly!
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

This is true. So a daily driver street car is fine, no cage, no special seatbelts, Stock car, etc?
I likley cant get there early enough but maybe more detail for the track novice will entice more people

Stock, daily driver street cars are perfectly fine.
I'll try to post more about the basic running of the event.

[This message has been edited by R Runner (edited 05-09-2013).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
i dont have any helmets that have a snell designation .i dont think it is used in canada anymore. the helmets i have are all motorcycle helmets and i have used one of them for track days without a problem .my helmets just have DOT stickers on them .i dont want to buy another (i have 4 already ) helmet just to use it once .

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

i dont have any helmets that have a snell designation .i dont think it is used in canada anymore. the helmets i have are all motorcycle helmets and i have used one of them for track days without a problem .my helmets just have DOT stickers on them .i dont want to buy another (i have 4 already ) helmet just to use it once .

The SCCA will have helmets that can be used (no fee) however, it would be best to provide your own if you have one.

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

As mentioned, the SCCA has helmets you can borrow. You do not have to bring your own. In this case, a motorcycle helmet will not be sufficent.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
sorry i did not notice the part about donor lids .i sent an extra 40.00 in with my registration today with a note on it saying it is for the autocross .see you there .
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

sorry i did not notice the part about donor lids .i sent an extra 40.00 in with my registration today with a note on it saying it is for the autocross .see you there .

No worries on the helmet.
PFF
System Bot
Christine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineDirect Link to This Post
I am bringing the helmet shown in my last post and I am willing to let other people use it if they need to, it is a large so if it fits you can borrow it. It is new and only been warn by me and Kevin, so as long as you do not have lice or something you are welcome to use it.
FieroMontreal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealDirect Link to This Post
Silly Question but is this a Fiero only event?
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMontreal:

Silly Question but is this a Fiero only event?

Not a silly question...

Right now it is, but that may change. What did you have in mind?
FieroMontreal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealDirect Link to This Post

Not a silly question...

Right now it is, but that may change. What did you have in mind?

I can't make it in the Fiero as my project won't be ready even though I'm already 4 years into it. I'm driving down in it's younger sibiling the Saturn Sky. I noticed it's being hosted by a local SCCA club so I'm thinking maybe it's going to be open registration. If so, I'd be interested in joining the group if ever that becomes an option.

I've been looking forward to the 30th since I attended the 25th and I'm really disappointed my Fiero won't be ready .. AGAIN! but I'd still like to make the most of the trip to Indianapolis

[This message has been edited by FieroMontreal (edited 05-13-2013).]

Christine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineDirect Link to This Post
I registered for the 30th show before you posted the autocross so should I just wait for the show and sign up for the autocross at the show or the day of the event or do you need us to prepay to insure the event happens or ?
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the delay..... I am working on answers for both of these questions.
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
I updated the top post.

There will be NO classes for this event. This will be considered a "Fun Run" and not a competition. Yes, your time will be recorded so that you can determine if different tecniques help make you faster, but this is not a "points" event.

Cars other than Fieros WILL be allowed. I am working on details that will be posted laters.
Christine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineDirect Link to This Post

I updated the top post.

There will be NO classes for this event. This will be considered a "Fun Run" and not a competition. Yes, your time will be recorded so that you can determine if different tecniques help make you faster, but this is not a "points" event.

Cars other than Fieros WILL be allowed. I am working on details that will be posted laters.

What about my question?
I registered for the 30th show before you posted the autocross so should I just wait for the show and sign up for the autocross at the show or the day of the event or do you need us to prepay to insure the event happens or ?
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

What about my question?

Christine...... The preference is to register on-line prior to the event. That will be an option separate from the show so there should be no problem doing that once it becomes available. The reason I did not post sooner is because I do not know about registering at the event. I think that we will be able to do that, but I am trying to find out for sure if we can.
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

R Runner

3678 posts
Member since Feb 2003

What about my question?

We will have registration both the morning of the event as well as on line. I encourage registration on line.
PFF
System Bot
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
The registration should be up soon.....

Who is planning to register?
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
I do.

Can other cars that aren't Fieros pre register?

------------------
1986GT 4-speed DOHC

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

I do.

Can other cars that aren't Fieros pre register?

The plan is to allow non-Fieros to pre-register.
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2013 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Bump
Christine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineDirect Link to This Post
I tried checking out the links I found on the 30th page and the autocross page, maybe I am just missing it, there is so much information posted now.
I looked here so far.
http://www.fiero30th.com/
I did not find were to register for the autocross? can you post the link to register for the autocross? Or tell me what to look for or?
Sorry if I missed it but I do not see the registration for the event.
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

I tried checking out the links I found on the 30th page and the autocross page, maybe I am just missing it, there is so much information posted now.
I looked here so far.
http://www.fiero30th.com/
I did not find were to register for the autocross? can you post the link to register for the autocross? Or tell me what to look for or?
Sorry if I missed it but I do not see the registration for the event.

You didn't miss it. It is not on the website yet. I will most certainly let everyone know when I see it.
Christine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineDirect Link to This Post
Cool thanks, I am glad I am not losing it and could not see something that was there.
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2013 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Direct Link to This Post
Is there a minimum age in order for you to participate? I'm in the process of convincing my parents to take my siblings and I.

<Edited for Grammar>

[This message has been edited by rbell2915 (edited 05-26-2013).]

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2013 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:

Is there a minimum age in order for you to participate? I'm in the process of convincing my parents to take my siblings and I.

<Edited for Grammar>

You need to have a current drivers license.

Ride-alongs are possible however, the Midwest Fiero Club, and SCCA have the right to not allow a specific ride-along if it appears unsafe. For example, if a person was too small to fit in the passenger seat where the seat belt could operate correctly, it is possible that it wold not be allowed.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock