Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Anyone have pictures of a notchie with GT rockers/trim/panels and a Formula nose? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Anyone have pictures of a notchie with GT rockers/trim/panels and a Formula nose? by Patrick
Started on: 04-05-2013 10:55 PM
Replies: 44
Last post by: bonezjustice on 04-11-2013 05:38 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
In the next month or so I hope to be cross-breeding an '86 GT with an '88 coupe, retaining the notchie roof line. I have my own idea how I'd like the hybrid to look, but I'm curious if anyone out there has pictures of this combination.

What I envision is basically a Formula nose on an '85 GT.

I'm curious what might be the best way to blend (with a paint scheme) the GT ground effects on the side of the car with the Formula nose and it's rather more pronounced front air-dam.

And if I had my druthers, I'd love to see what a red bodied notchie with silver GT ground effects fitted with a Formula nose would look like.

Any pictures like that out there?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-06-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Isn't that what qwikgta's car used to look like?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

I'm familiar with a car of his which is a fastback with a Formula nose. Did it used to be a notchie with GT trim?

Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
I actually was running this combo for a while on an actual '88 Formula, but sadly I did not take any photographs of it. I ran with it while I was trying to figure out what I was going to do with it body-wise, and then ended up doing nothing...

Probably the best way to run with it color-wise is to make the bottom air dam on the base coupe/Formula style nose the same color as the ground effects. So if you were running silver ground effects, you would want the air dam to also be silver. The really big issue that arises with this is that piece was not meant to be painted, and it can be difficult to paint. It's flexible in nature, so eventually any scrubbing of the ground would begin to wear the paint out (it would likely begin to flake off actually). The only other option would be to run black ground effects like what the '86/'87 SE cars had. This would negate having to paint that lower air dam piece, since it would match fairly close to the OEM black ground effects that came on the SE aero cars.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
Ask Terry to do one for you in his Photoshop thread.

Jonathan
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I'm familiar with a car of his which is a fastback with a Formula nose. Did it used to be a notchie with GT trim?

Yep... Been years, though. May not have had the GT rockers, however.

Hang on..... His sig from a decade ago. Nevermind. Just looks like a nice coupe.

[This message has been edited by skuzzbomer (edited 04-06-2013).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

Probably the best way to run with it color-wise is to make the bottom air dam on the base coupe/Formula style nose the same color as the ground effects. So if you were running silver ground effects, you would want the air dam to also be silver.

I agree, and yes, I was also concerned with how durable silver paint would be on the air-dam.

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

The only other option would be to run black ground effects like what the '86/'87 SE cars had. This would negate having to paint that lower air dam piece, since it would match fairly close to the OEM black ground effects that came on the SE aero cars.

No, no, no... a thousand times no! Sorry, but I really dislike the black ground effects on those models.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36420 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Ask Terry to do one for you in his Photoshop thread.

If Terry doesn't stumble across this thread on his own, I'll PM him and ask him to contribute.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36420 posts
Member since Apr 99

Nevermind. Just looks like a nice coupe.

Yeah, no ground effects at all... and that's what changes the whole look.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36420 posts
Member since Apr 99

Okay, I've PM'd Terry as I need help here , but this is sort of what I have in mind.

I've added GT ground effects (they're supposed to be silver ) along the side of this red Formula. I've also made the front air-dam the same color.

The "custom" bit is the angled portion of added color to the right of the front wheel well. This is to help match the height of the ground effects along the side of the car. It needs to be subtle, but this could probably be tweaked a bit. After experimenting a little, I don't think I'd like any more of the nose painted the same color as the ground effects.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

I've added GT ground effects (they're supposed to be silver ) along the side of this red Formula. I've also made the front air-dam the same color.

The "custom" bit is the angled portion of added color to the right of the front wheel well. This is to help match the height of the ground effects along the side of the car. It needs to be subtle, but this could probably be tweaked a bit. After experimenting a little, I don't think I'd like any more of the nose painted the same color as the ground effects.

I have thoughts on a different way to approach this. (Involves a little bit of fiberglass and fabrication.)

If I ever do, you'll see it here first.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I have thoughts on a different way to approach this. (Involves a little bit of fiberglass and fabrication.)

If I ever do, you'll see it here first.

Aw, you're just teasing me! No fair!
Come on Raydar, dust off your photoshop toolz and let's see what you have in mind.
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieDirect Link to This Post

In the next month or so I hope to be cross-breeding an '86 GT with an '88 coupe, retaining the notchie roof line. I have my own idea how I'd like the hybrid to look, but I'm curious if anyone out there has pictures of this combination.

What I envision is basically a Formula nose on an '85 GT.

I'm curious what might be the best way to blend (with a paint scheme) the GT ground effects on the side of the car with the Formula nose and it's rather more pronounced front air-dam.

And if I had my druthers, I'd love to see what a red bodied notchie with silver GT ground effects fitted with a Formula nose would look like.

Any pictures like that out there?

Lets start with this I wish Forza 4 had notchies too I think the late model coupe is pretty much the same as the Formula let me know if it is not the same? If this will work I will get to making it a notchie here soon.

Here it is as a notchie

------------------

Love The Excitement! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

[This message has been edited by 85SEnochie (edited 04-06-2013).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85SEnochie:
I think the late model coupe is pretty much the same as the Formula let me know if it is not the same?

Yes, they are the same.

I vote for the Formula nose, Aero (GT or SE) rear bumper and NO SIDE GROUND EFFECTS.

Jonathan

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007

Here it is as a notchie

See? If you use a base rear bumper or a Formula rear bumper the ground effects don't flow with it. Skip them or at least delete the door section. Then you will have a "poor man's widebody".

Jonathan

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieDirect Link to This Post

See? If you use a base rear bumper or a Formula rear bumper the ground effects don't flow with it. Skip them or at least delete the door section. Then you will have a "poor man's widebody".

Jonathan

This was my thought for that

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
Terry, glad you got my message. Looks pretty good so far.

A couple of tweaks... Could you add the small silver "wedge" where I've indicated below...

And could you make the rear bumper a GT one?

And, if it's not a lot of hassle... could you add the decklid and hood from my Duke in This picture (keeping them black)?

Thanks!

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36420 posts
Member since Apr 99

I vote for the Formula nose, Aero (GT or SE) rear bumper and NO SIDE GROUND EFFECTS.

Aero (GT or SE) rear bumper - Yes.

NO SIDE GROUND EFFECTS - NO WAY!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Come on Raydar, dust off your photoshop toolz and let's see what you have in mind.

I suck at any kind of image editing. But here...

Picture "wheel spats", blended into the air dam, ala 1970s Trans Am.

Edit - or my old Monza (except smaller, and not that high at the top.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-06-2013).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Picture "wheel spats", blended into the air dam, ala 1970s Trans Am.

Ah, that reminds me very much of an '87 that Capt Fiero bought a few years ago and has redone (since this picture was taken).

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking something that would taper downward/inward under the sides of the fascia, and blend into the existing airdam. It wouldn't have to be more than a foot or so long. Something way more discreet than you pictured.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-06-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post

This is better but the only purpose of the side effects now are to blend the door to the aero rocker panels. If that is the case (it is), why not leave the ground effects off and keep the base rockers? I think the side of the car looks so much cleaner without the extra lines of the effects.

Jonathan

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

...why not leave the ground effects off and keep the base rockers?

Because I don't like the base rockers. Simple as that.

I think the side of the car looks so much cleaner without the extra lines of the effects.

Different strokes for different folks.

I happen to like silver ground effects, but I'm not terribly fond of the GT nose. I don't hate it, but basically what I'd like to see is what an '85 GT would look like with a Formula nose.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Another thought...
Has anyone ever built a car with the upper ground effects on the doors and between the wheels, but with the Formula/base rockers?
There's a chance that they'll line up with each other, and may give you the best of both worlds. (Ground effects, but with a taper to match the Formula nose.)
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieDirect Link to This Post
OK maybe one of you guys could help me out here EVERY FREAKEN day at some point my pictures become red X's and PIP can't find server I will have done nothing and come back later and it works fine is there a setting on my end I need to be doing ??? The picture is done just can't post it untell I get PIP to find the server again. Can you see my pictures?

------------------

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post

Another thought...
Has anyone ever built a car with the upper ground effects on the doors and between the wheels, but with the Formula/base rockers?
There's a chance that they'll line up with each other, and may give you the best of both worlds. (Ground effects, but with a taper to match the Formula nose.)

I don't think they will match up well.

Jonathan

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieDirect Link to This Post

I don't think they will match up well.

Jonathan

I think it would look something like this? it will show when pip starts working for me again

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

OK maybe one of you guys could help me out here EVERY FREAKEN day at some point my pictures become red X's and PIP can't find server I will have done nothing and come back later and it works fine is there a setting on my end I need to be doing ???

Terry, occasionally I have the same problem (including earlier today as a matter of fact), but now it's working fine. Yes, I can see all your images.

I find that sometimes I'll have problems with PIP hosted images displaying in a thread if I also have photo editing programs open. It's like my computer/display card can't handle too much at once. Sometimes just closing those programs is enough to resolve the issue, sometimes a reboot is necessary.

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieDirect Link to This Post

Terry, occasionally I have the same problem (including earlier today as a matter of fact), but now it's working fine. Yes, I can see all your images.

I find that sometimes I'll have problems with PIP hosted images displaying in a thread if I also have photo editing programs open. It's like my computer/display card can't handle too much at once. Sometimes just closing those programs is enough to resolve the issue, sometimes a reboot is necessary.

OK so I'll give that ago I have closed everything and rebooted my thread is working again but this one is not and PIP can't find the server yet?

------------------

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

I think it would look something like this? it will show when pip starts working for me again

It's working for me. Thanks!

While not a perfect match on the outside edge, it's not bad.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

...my thread is working again but this one is not and PIP can't find the server yet?

I'm going outside to cut the grass in a half-hour or so, but if you wish, you can send the image(s) to the email addy in my Profile and I'll post them.
PFF
System Bot
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieDirect Link to This Post

I'm going outside to cut the grass in a half-hour or so, but if you wish, you can send the image(s) to the email addy in my Profile and I'll post them.

I sent it It's working again

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I sent it

I received, ummm... I received the wrong image. (It's the earlier image of the fastback.)

But I see you've posted a new one. Great. I'll look it over and and post back.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36420 posts
Member since Apr 99
I don't know how you do it Terry, but these photoshopped Fiero images are great! You've even included a sun-roof which I forgot to mention to add.

A few more tweaks, and I think you'll have it.

Could you make both the hood and the decklid (including the spoiler) a flat black?

And could you put these 16" wheels on the car. These are the Sunfire rims I normally use now when not autocrossing.

And any chance of lightening up newly created image(s) a little? I'm not sure what the images are like on other people's monitors, but on mine I can't see the details unless I save the image and "massage" it a bit.

Thanks!

[EDIT] I have a set of these scoops I'm debating whether or not to use. If you are able to "install" this type of scoop as well (body color) in the image, that would be just peachy.

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieDirect Link to This Post

I don't know how you do it Terry, but these photoshopped Fiero images are great! You've even included a sun-roof which I forgot to mention to add.

A few more tweaks, and I think you'll have it.

Could you make both the hood and the decklid (including the spoiler) a flat black?

And could you put these 16" wheels on the car. These are the Sunfire rims I normally use now when not autocrossing.

And any chance of lightening up newly created image(s) a little? I'm not sure what the images are like on other people's monitors, but on mine I can't see the details unless I save the image and "massage" it a bit.

Thanks!

[EDIT] I have a set of these scoops I'm debating whether or not to use. If you are able to "install" this type of scoop as well (body color) in the image, that would be just peachy.

How is this better?

I know I forgot a little detail

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

How is this, better?

Excellent, excellent... Just this last little bit!

And if it's easy to do, could you for comparison purposes make the whole car uniformly black (but leave the ground effects silver)?

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieDirect Link to This Post

And if it's easy to do, could you for comparison purposes make the whole car uniformly black (but leave the ground effects silver)?

It's a quickie hope that it's ok?

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

OooOooo... I like, I like !!!

I really like that charcoal grey/black body color. It allows the regular dark black trim to still stand out.

Excellent!

Thanks so much, Terry. That really gives me something to consider when it comes time to painting this (or any other) Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-07-2013).]

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieDirect Link to This Post

OooOooo... I like, Iike !!!

I really like that charcoal grey/black body color. It allows the regular dark black trim to still stand out.

Excellent!

Thanks so much, Terry. That really gives me something to consider when it comes time to painting this (or any other) Fiero.

You are very welcome! I am not able to do much for our Fiero madness but I have a tone of fun doing this

------------------

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post

Still does.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 04-08-2013).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay