Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Electric rear window- Honda Del Sol on fiero?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Electric rear window- Honda Del Sol on fiero? by IanT720
Started on: 10-15-2012 09:22 PM
Replies: 23
Last post by: mitchjl22 on 10-17-2012 07:26 PM
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Direct Link to This Post
My buddy just bought one and a super cool feature it has is that the rear window can roll down completely, instead of blocking airflow and creating a hot ball of air around the center counsel driving down the highway. I know it would be highly custom and might even be impossible but for you guys that have the Capitol and resources ever think about it? Or some kind of rear vent?

------------------
86 Fiero GTX project soon to tear up the street, My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels and more! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
i had a 07 4runner that had a rear window that came down it was cook as hell. unfortunatley i dont know if its going to be possible on the fiero as if you had the window come down on the inside it would hit the conputer and wires if it was on the engine side it would hit the exhaust and the wires... but it would be cool to do.maybe up and into the headliner?
Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyDirect Link to This Post
A removable rear window has been done, it was found to be a bad idea, as the engine heat pours in.
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ang84Indy:

A removable rear window has been done, it was found to be a bad idea, as the engine heat pours in.

I understand if sitting still but can you elaborate more? Is it like on pickups how they form a air bubble in the bed and if the windows open it gets recirculated back on the cabin?

------------------
86 Fiero GTX project soon to tear up the street, My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels and more! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

Falcon Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IanT720:

I understand if sitting still but can you elaborate more? Is it like on pickups how they form a air bubble in the bed and if the windows open it gets recirculated back on the cabin?

One of my Fiero's had a removable rear window. Exhaust and heat were a problem. I had it sealed up.

Pappy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
Things you may want to consider:

Where will the window go when down, will their be interference?
A few things come to mind - Air filter Housing / Deck hinges / Battery / Headers

How much heat can your head take?
Since the power plant is right their this rising heat will now be channeled into the cabin

I like new ideas and anything can be done - So let us know your plan

IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pappy:

Things you may want to consider:

Where will the window go when down, will their be interference?
A few things come to mind - Air filter Housing / Deck hinges / Battery / Headers

How much heat can your head take?
Since the power plant is right their this rising heat will now be channeled into the cabin

I like new ideas and anything can be done - So let us know your plan

I think a flip up one, over head? Would be cool but if it doesn't help airflow I guess there is no point... Hmmm maybe some vents that open the sail panels? Like pop out? Just throwing ideas around.

------------------

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
I guess you haven't driven something like a convertible Fiero.

The heat from the engine actually tends to work it's way forward. Most people with sunroofs on Fieros don't experience the heat exchange, since the sunroof sits so high. However, if you have something like a convertible or a removable rear window you will find that a tremendous amount of heat is actually pushed forward up from the decklid vents. It's also the reason why for a great many Fieros the rear defrost (if equipped) is kind of a useless option.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Yes the cars rear window area creates a low pressure area and it tend to suck the air forward and pulls the hot air from the vents into the cockpit. With T tops and a sun roof the openings are on the top away from the low pressure area. Also a convertible has more air flow from the sides to lessen the low pressure area.

Also if you were to do one the removeable window like in the early 70's Vettes would have been the way to do it. But in a mid engine car like this it just is not a good idea with the air vent right at the rear window.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

I guess you haven't driven something like a convertible Fiero.

The heat from the engine actually tends to work it's way forward. Most people with sunroofs on Fieros don't experience the heat exchange, since the sunroof sits so high. However, if you have something like a convertible or a removable rear window you will find that a tremendous amount of heat is actually pushed forward up from the decklid vents. It's also the reason why for a great many Fieros the rear defrost (if equipped) is kind of a useless option.

Exactly. I could drive my convertible Fiero during the cool months if I kept the windows up and the top down. It wasn't a lot of heat, but I also had more wind moving over the top. With just the rear window gone, then you would get more heat and engine compartment smells (oil, exhaust).
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-1-066015.html
Wire harness and gas lines are in the way. Firewall is tilted.
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Another one of those "sounds like a good idea" things until someone thinks it through.

Cars with open rear windows like the Del Slo have the engine up front, not under the rear window opening.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
1. Air over the roof hits trunk lid in the middle and back then roll toward the rear glass.
2. Can, likely will, mess w/ engine vents.
3. Can, likely will, suck heat, smell, and worse exhaust, into the cabin.
4. Will increase engine noise inside the cabin.
5. Simple no room to use Del Sol setup.

Someone was trying to use pickup trunk rear pass-thru window but I don't know if they finish...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Direct Link to This Post
So like I already thought, impossible and pointless more or less... What about hinged sailpanels? With a vent to em?
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Having a Del Sol as a DD, I had contemplated this, but the mid engine of the Fiero killed it. It would be pretty cool, but definitely not enough of a reward to justify the effort.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Didn't Skitime do a sliding rear window? Or at least have one in the works at one time?

I agree, though. Bad idea.
If I crack my windows and pop the rear of the sunroof, I still manage to suck in some engine heat through the open sunroof.
But then, I have a whaletail. Might tend to make the air "stack up" on top of the decklid.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-16-2012).]

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetDirect Link to This Post
is that whale tail on a notchie? I was wondering what a whale tail would look like on a fastback. Poo maybe? Just wondering.

[This message has been edited by GADJet (edited 10-16-2012).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-16-2012 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Didn't Skitime do a sliding rear window? Or at least have one in the works at one time?

I agree, though. Bad idea.
If I crack my windows and pop the rear of the sunroof, I still manage to suck in some engine heat through the open sunroof.
But then, I have a whaletail. Might tend to make the air "stack up" on top of the decklid.

I think he had the sunroof latch mounted to the rear window, and it popped outward when opened. Not sure if it was skitime or someone else though. Would seem a bit odd on the 86+ cars with the brake light being right there.

My stock sunroof car would suck in some heat and such when idling in traffic sometimes. Unless one is swapping to a convertible top, I don't really see any usefulness of trying to make the rear window removable or such.
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Direct Link to This Post

So like I already thought, impossible and pointless more or less... What about hinged sailpanels? With a vent to em?

Any thoughts?
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-16-2012 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
The interior B-pillar vents already vent to the exterior behind the sail panels. Adding latches to them similar to rear truck/suv/van windows probably wouldn't help, and would just look weird. Plus the sail panels are meant to stick in a constant position.

You could just get fiberglass panels with built-in scoops or vents if you want (or make your own). But it won't really help with cooling anything if you do, especially not the interior.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
The vents in the b pillars are the flow through ventilation that is required in all cars by federal law. Car have to have a specified flow rate by law.
PFF
System Bot
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

The vents in the b pillars are the flow through ventilation that is required in all cars by federal law. Car have to have a specified flow rate by law.

Hmm... Well why? Just curios.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Hmm... Well why? Just curios.

So that you don't suffocate due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Open rear window is a bad idea on a Fiero. I drove my car about thirty feet without the rear window installed and that was enough to convince me I would not like it as a mod.
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Direct Link to This Post
Not electric, but I'm surprised on one has posed about it nonetheless. Skitimes car.

Originally posted by skitime:

Well next I found that with the t-tops I missed the option of popping open the sunroof. I was wondering what I could do about it when I had another idea: to make a removable rear window. Unfortunately in order to do this I had to remove the new glued in headliner as well as most the interior. Anyway it came out great. One of the few thing that went exactly as planned. (I noticed in this pic I was also working on another mod that did not appear till the next show season.)

This was as far as I got during the first show season with the car.

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 02-04-2003).]

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 02-07-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock