Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  The Fiero Store Canadian Orders !!!!!!! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
The Fiero Store Canadian Orders !!!!!!! by RULOOKIN
Started on: 12-22-2010 10:38 AM
Replies: 60
Last post by: cam-a-lot on 04-21-2012 06:22 AM
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
136 dollars in parts Total with the shipping included (19.00) 3 very small parts ( oil presure sending unit and 2 axel seals)
41.00 in customs charges.

I am not sure if the fiero store ever reads these post but i am sure i am not the first PISSED&*^ Cnadaian customer, I was going to send the parts back, In future i will not have parts directly sent to me ,
Just some FYI for Canadians looking to buy from TFS find someone in the states (a freind) who you can have the package sent to have them re pack it with no bill and send it USPS i have done many transaction through USPS and had good luck also mark value under $100

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-05-2016).]

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
Well I gotta jump in here and say my piece ...here is what I'm wondering but TFS never want to explain....
I bought a side marker kit Fiero Store Part # 51505, Price: $79.95 they charged me $29.00 for shipping. The box they sent it in was 80% filled with bubble wrap so you could easily fit 3 more kits into tha same box with less wrapping. When I asked to buy four (4) kits, which I knew would fit in the same box they use to send me the initial kit but to my surprise they are asking me over 75$ for shipping the same box !!!!! I really don't know why they exagerate like that on their shipping prices !!!!

I use the same TFS box to send a steel plate weighing in at 9 pounds to California cost me 23$ tracking included ... the 4 marker kit weighs in at less than 1.7 pounds .... if they have over 1 million in business I think 40% of that is the shipping to canadians!!!
I don't want them to lie on the price ... just being reasonable for shipping would be fine....
another pi$$ed off canadian TFS customer

edited ... ooouff dont want to do a PK Post
------------------

http://www.blackwidowfiero.com

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 12-22-2010).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
While I appreciate the FieroStore's committment to offering products for our cars, I do agree that the shipping is kind of ridiculous. Last year I bought upper control arm bolts from them (the long ones) and the shipping came out to more than product or something ridiculous. Being in Canada does suck for shipping duties/taxes, but I think they have over inflated shipping prices as well. Not to mention, using anything other than USPS to ship to Canada just compounds the problem. I feel your pain guys.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
I have order many thing from the Fiero Store and not once I had to pay any sort of custom fees (just GST sometimes), but then I always have them ship USPS - anything else and you are paying through the nose (especially UPS).

I do have a small grip about the shipping costs tho - once I ordered a new clutch line unit and a bunch of small trim items - I had to pay shipping on each of the small items even though they all fit in the same box (ie. would have costed the same if I ordered them all separate).

For common parts like that was ordered, I just use Rockauto or buy them locally - I see no point in mail ordering something like axle seals or the oil sender (unless it was way cheaper at Rock Auto). I just use the Fiero Store for the items that you can't pick up anyplace else.
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
if there was someone in the general area of the fiero store who would be interested in taking orders privately i would be happy to pay what ever TFS would want in shipping to me Canada to the member for him or her to pick up the parts and send them via USPS, generaly TFS shipping is two times the price of USPS so its money in someones pocket if interested and i am sure there will be other Canadians who will jump on board !

Not realy trying to say its TFS fault for the extream extra charges all Canadians pay was, was just helping future buyers what to expect and maybe look for other shipping alternitives like the one above ..

OH also if there is 40%or even 20% of one million to be made in one year in shipping revenue, someone needs to jump on my above sugestion, i wish i had the chance at this
I
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
USPS shipping rates have skyrocketed - especially now with their "flat rate" pricing.

Ordered 11 of the Fiero Store calendars. In the past, they have been mailed First Class in a bubble wrap envelope for a few bucks postage.

This year they came in a USPS Flat Rate Box with a shipping charge of $30

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-22-2010).]

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-05-2016).]

BtotheB

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

I have order many thing from the Fiero Store and not once I had to pay any sort of custom fees (just GST sometimes), but then I always have them ship USPS - anything else and you are paying through the nose (especially UPS).

It was my understanding TFS won't ship to Canada via USPS. Although it has been a couple years since I've had to buy anything from them, like many other Canadian members I only buy from them as a last resort...

Brad
fierobrian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
company allway use ups for a few reason
1st it is allways cheaper than usps if you have a account witn ups
2nd they included tracking and a 100 ins .u can only get tracking to canada with usps if yopu spend for the fastest way (over 15 per pound)
3rd the ntracking works great and a company need tracking i get peaple all the time saying they never got it till i send tracking number then the find it

just a few reasons i have been leading shipping dept for over 6 years
W Scott

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for W ScottSend a Private Message to W ScottDirect Link to This Post
Since I live close to the US/Canadian border, I use a US mailing address service to recieve all my Americian internet/mail order purchases. This helps avoid higher ship costs and other sirprise costs. It also makes thing easy for the Americian sellers (they like easy). Here is a link to the service I use:

http://www.usaddressinc.com/

They provide a phyisical address in the US for me (which does not have a P.O. number in it). You can rent P.O. boxes from them too.

I have used this service for years. It saves a lot of hassle of having things shipped over the border. I have always just used their pay as you recieve package service.

There are other services like this one too.

Here is another trick. Some places will only ship a credit card order to the credit card billing address. When I run accross this I simply phone up my credit card provider and have them change my billing address to my US shipping address. Then a couple of days after the order I call my credit card provider back up and change my credit card billing address back to my home address. I have done this often enough now that my credit card provider has this temporary US billing address premenantly in my file and frequently many transcations now go through without having to make the call to do the actual address change.
PFF
System Bot
LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Direct Link to This Post
There is a place in Sweet Grass Montana that you can do this with as well for you Alberta members. Attheborderstorage.com for more info.
FieroMontreal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealDirect Link to This Post
I always use USPS for shipping to Canada from the Fiero Store and I never have a problem.

The problem isn't custom's its UPS!! They charge an extra and crazy Broker fee on top of the customs fee!

You can select USPS when you order online, at least you could the last time I ordered during the summer. If you call it in, you have to ask for it because they will always quote UPS. USPS orders are not trackable, but I never had an issue. (knock on wood)

------------------

AKA. FieroAlex
Not related in any way to the FieroMontreal club

[This message has been edited by FieroMontreal (edited 12-22-2010).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobrian:

1st it is allways cheaper than usps if you have a account witn ups
2nd they included tracking and a 100 ins .u can only get tracking to canada with usps if yopu spend for the fastest way (over 15 per pound)
3rd the ntracking works great and a company need tracking i get peaple all the time saying they never got it till i send tracking number then the find it

just a few reasons i have been leading shipping dept for over 6 years

1) not if it is coming across the border into Canada from the US - sure the initial cost maybe cheaper, but with the added brokerage fees imposed by UPS it ALWAYS comes out cheaper in the long run.

2) tracking is 'sort of' available on USPS, however once it hits the border there is no longer point ot point tracking provided as the US and Canadian systems are not compatible - HOWEVER - it does require a signature at the delivery point to confirm delivery (and yes insurance is also available).

If it has to cross the border into Canada and you need to use a courier, you can:

1) use FedEx as their rates are better than UPS
2) you can do the necessary paper work and clear the item through customs yourself (search online, the instructions are there)
3) use a US mail drop as already mentioned - but this is only good for the people that live close to the border (it's 4 hours one way for me).

Personally, I will only buy if the person will ship USPS - I have on occasion used UPS, but the cost of the item plus the brokerage fees was still cheap enough to warrant me using UPS. I bought my home theater receiver and a CD changer this way as the total cost to my door with UPS was still $200-300 cheaper than buying it locally in the store.
fierobrian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

1) not if it is coming across the border into Canada from the US - sure the initial cost maybe cheaper, but with the added brokerage fees imposed by UPS it ALWAYS comes out cheaper in the long run.

2) tracking is 'sort of' available on USPS, however once it hits the border there is no longer point ot point tracking provided as the US and Canadian systems are not compatible - HOWEVER - it does require a signature at the delivery point to confirm delivery (and yes insurance is also available).

If it has to cross the border into Canada and you need to use a courier, you can:

1) use FedEx as their rates are better than UPS
2) you can do the necessary paper work and clear the item through customs yourself (search online, the instructions are there)
3) use a US mail drop as already mentioned - but this is only good for the people that live close to the border (it's 4 hours one way for me).

Personally, I will only buy if the person will ship USPS - I have on occasion used UPS, but the cost of the item plus the brokerage fees was still cheap enough to warrant me using UPS. I bought my home theater receiver and a CD changer this way as the total cost to my door with UPS was still $200-300 cheaper than buying it locally in the store.

1you arent thinking like a company they dont care what it cost you they only care how m,uch it cost them . sucks i know but very true
2 tracking doesnt work with usps and any company sending stuff need a tracking # in the age of paypal clains
anyone who send out anything with tracking is asking for trouble . and even if you have to sign for it that is not info given back to the shipper s.

just letting you know why they use ups same reason my company does, it is cheapper for them !
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobrian:

1you arent thinking like a company they dont care what it cost you they only care how m,uch it cost them . sucks i know but very true
2 tracking doesnt work with usps and any company sending stuff need a tracking # in the age of paypal clains
anyone who send out anything with tracking is asking for trouble . and even if you have to sign for it that is not info given back to the shipper s.

just letting you know why they use ups same reason my company does, it is cheapper for them !

heh - last I am going to say about this.

1) cost is passed onto the customer, when I asked for USPS from the Fiero Store (or anyplace else) they say no problem and I pay the higher shipping cost (still cheaper) - it is DIFFERENT if the company pays shipping, but when I pay shipping, I ship it how I want.

2) I buy stuff all the time from the US using USPS and when I get a tracking number, I CAN follow the progress online, I am sure the sender can as well. The sender is PROTECTED as a signature is required on my end and that is indicated on the USPS tracking webpage that it has been delivered and signed for (it even shows my signature).

No offense, but you need to educate yourself a bit more...

I never had a problem with having the Fiero Store sending me my orders via USPS when I asked for it.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 12-22-2010).]

fierobrian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
no you can only get tracking with regastered mail and that is 23. buck for 1 pound sorry would love to see a tracking # from usps to canada that isnt regasted mail
VERY DONE NOT RESPONDING AGAIN DONT LIKE TFS DONT ORDER !
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
fierobrian --- would very much like to do that... but.... where would we get the specific fiero parts ??? Just like Microsoft when you have the monopoly YOU decide the prices customer has NO choice ...... thats all I'm ever going to post on this matter any more ...

------------------

http://www.blackwidowfiero.com

Tinkrr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrDirect Link to This Post
My Navy Blue Fiero Ball cap fell apart this summer, sun rot I guess.

- Fiero Store Navy Blue no longer available, Beige US$ 13.95
-UPS US$ 21.00
-Exchange 5.0% Cdn$ 1.75
-Brokerage / Duty Cdn$ 41.00

Total Cdn$ 77.70

Another Canadian sale lost to the Fiero Store.

Edited to add comment:
My decision has nothing to do with the Fiero Store, based purely on personal economics
they have always provided me with quality parts and accessories
defects were handled expeditiously and always to my satisfaction
In 2005 I was in Connecticut, so I dropped in for a visit. I was treated royally, given the grand tour, and introduced to everyone. Great Folks

[This message has been edited by Tinkrr (edited 12-23-2010).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
My companuy shipd world wide and we use all kind of shipping. The rates have really gone up over the last few years with the high oil prices.

Going to Canada is expensive no matter what you do. Many of our Canadian customer will ship to this side of the boarder and come over to pick it up to save on the charges on that side.

The thing that helps us keep the price of shipping in check is that we have a progressive handling charge and we also can ship thousands of packages a day. This gives us some leverage with the shippers.

The fact is the shipping to Canada is expensive no matter what and the fact the low volume of the Fiero store kills them on getting better rates. They could charge less on the rates but you would pay more for the parts.

I see things from the other side of the auto parts shipping and believe me few of us are getting rich off of shipping charges. In fact most of us are worried it will hurt sales if it continues to climb. We have gotten to the point it was cheaper to build two other shipping sites around the country vs shipping cross country. It was a very expensive thing to do but it will pay off in the long run. A company the size of the Fiero Store just can not afford to do something like that. In our case out volume gives us an option. The problem with the Fiero story is they have such a low volume and for the most part they are not selling high dollar items like we do.

Like em or hate them it is tough for a company like the Fiero story to make it in tight times like this. Trust me they are all not driving Ferrari's from selling Fiero parts.

I would hate to see how much they have to invest just to tool up to make some of the molded plastic parts.

If you want cheaper parts and lower shipping buy a Camaro or Mustang.

As time goes on some of the Fiero parts are going to be inpossible to find and if you do find them even more expensive than some here have paid for their cars. Just check the prices paid for some of the T top gasket sets. Also not how much it has proven for some to try to reproduce them with no promise to make it back.

I would advise now if you want to keep your Fiero stock get what you need now or buy a car that needs no work. Soon it will cost more to fix a Fiero up vs what it is worth. The Bargin collector car status only last for a while and it goes away no matter the make or model as parts become scarce.

Too many really have no idea how much it really costs to restore most cars properly since we have had a easy to find supply of parts for so many years.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 12-23-2010).]

FieroMontreal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tinkrr:

-Brokerage Cdn$ 41.00

Another Canadian sale lost to the Fiero Store.

Thats exactly the problem with UPS. This is a "UPS TAX" that they decide to add ON top of customs. Customs is peanuts and is not a problem but that $41.00 brokerage fee is a farce! This is what they charge you for them to get it thru customs for you. USPS does not have this fee. So look at it this way, his order with UPS cost $77 However had the fiero store used USPS (or had the buyer opted for USPS) the cost for the same product would be around $40.

Yes shipping to Canada is on the rise, but the deal breaker is the UPS special "tax" they add to every package sent to Canada.

And on a different note, shipping things is now really complicated. Canada Post rates are very high! I've been seeling a bunch of video games on ebay recently and it's hard to compete with the USA because of our high shipping prices. A few years ago shipping a video game from Montreal to the USA was about $3 for air mail however today its almost $7 for air mail or $14 for expedited mail. When you're selling a $10 game, that shipping fee hurts. Another strange thing is that shipping from Quebec to California cost me $5.75 by ground mail however to ship from Quebec to Quebec cost me $9.00 . It's more expensive to ship in Canada then outside of Canada.

I know the letter buisness is hurting but how much of these price raises are due to trying to wipe out internet sales? The prepaid boxes are also a plague that should be stopped.

[This message has been edited by FieroMontreal (edited 12-23-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
W Scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for W ScottSend a Private Message to W ScottDirect Link to This Post

Yes regardless what you buy (from any vendor), shipping UPS to Canada from the US is the most costly option for individual final customers. I have experienced it my self - The added UPS "Brokerage Fee" for crossing the border, charged directly to recieptant by UPS. This is not the fault of the seller (The Fiero Store or any other vendor), they (the seller) typically have no idea this happening and how UPS makes their Canadian customers very upset.

The answer is avoid using UPS for shipping items across the border into Canada from the US. Use a different shipper or one of the other options discussed above.

nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintDirect Link to This Post
the fact is...The Fiero store is no longer a viable option for Canadians...they wanted 37 bucks to mail some sway bar bushing to me.

To bad cause all us Canadians are dying for parts.

Seen that commercial how UPS loves logistics?? yeah no wonder, 30 dollars extras on a 2 dollar package that already cost 25 to ship.
UPS is not for Canadians....ever....

I should add that we are well aware that it costs more to come to Canada...nobody has a problem will that. But, when a package arrives in a month, with a shipping label of 19 dollars and you were charged 50 thats were we get pissed. You are suppose to be making money on the products and not raping us on the shipping.

[This message has been edited by nosaint (edited 12-23-2010).]

DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
@ fierobrian.

Anytime you ship to Canada you must fill out a Customs Form. I do it several times. The Customs Form it's self IS TRACKABLE. Nothing else is required to track that. I once shipped parts up there with a requested lesser value to help them save $$$. The package was stuck in customs for almost a month. I almost ate that shipment and have since vowed that I would never undervalue a shipment again. But yes anytime a customs form is used, the tracking in the form number.

Comment on USPS tracking: it's almost a joke, but on late packages it can usually help you figure out where it was two days ago. USPS shipping costs 2lb box = $23 + insurance in my case.
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
My rule is only by from Fiero parts from U.S. vendors, eBay or forum members that take PayPal from a Canadian and will ship USPS.
If there's something I have to have (unobtainium category) that is only available via UPS, I get it shipped to Lewiston, NY (luckily for me about a 15minute drive).
Many of us have been burned by UPS ransom fees, but key here is to learn from your mistakes, not hate the seller (just educate them on the need/business opportunity for us).

------------------

Indy Northstar-Stretch ~ LT1-NOS Roadster

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RULOOKIN:

136 dollars in parts Total with the shipping included (19.00) 3 very small parts ( oil presure sending unit and 2 axel seals)
41.00 in customs charges.

I am not sure if the fiero store ever reads these post but i am sure i am not the first PISSED&*^ Cnadaian customer, I was going to send the parts back, In future i will not have parts directly sent to me ,
Just some FYI for Canadians looking to buy from TFS find someone in the states (a freind) who you can have the package sent to have them re pack it with no bill and send it USPS i have done many transaction through USPS and had good luck also mark value under $100

I really like the Fiero Store, and I want to support them whenever I can. They are a MAJOR supplier of parts for our Fieros. If they suddenly dissapeared, I have no idea what I would end up doing for all the odds and ends. Rodney Dickman sells a lot of stuff, and in particular a lot of stuff the Fiero Store doesn't sell, but without TFS... we would all be screwed.

The problem you are having is NOT with the Fiero Store, but the government of Canada that is breaking the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). There should be NO tarrifs or taxes on goods brought into Canada from Mexico or the US. Canada has been doing this to us for many many many years, and it's totally messed up.

I love my Canadian friends, but your government is dishonest and sucks ass.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 12-23-2010).]

W Scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for W ScottSend a Private Message to W ScottDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
I really like the Fiero Store, and I want to support them whenever I can. They are a MAJOR supplier of parts for our Fieros. If they suddenly dissapeared, I have no idea what I would end up doing for all the odds and ends. Rodney Dickman sells a lot of stuff, and in particular a lot of stuff the Fiero Store doesn't sell, but without TFS... we would all be screwed.

The problem you are having is NOT with the Fiero Store, but the government of Canada that is breaking the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). There should be NO tarrifs or taxes on goods brought into Canada from Mexico or the US. Canada has been doing this to us for many many many years, and it's totally messed up.

I also really like the Fiero Store and have bought lots of items from that I have been happy with. I will continue to buy lots of things from them in the future.

I have had lots of experience bring items across the border and dealing with customs over the years. I think you have misunderstood something about of the custom & dutes we typically pay bring stuff back accross the border. On the vast majority of items we bring back (99.9% of the time) we as private citizens are charged sales tax only, which is exactly the same sales tax as if we bought the item in Canada. This is not a violation of NAFTA, we just simply have a sale tax on everything we buy regardless of where it comes from (and no we don't like it, but that's life).

The UPS fees we are complaning about are brokerage fees, which are service charges by private companies to fill out goverment forms and other meaningless paper work, these fees do not go to the government, these companies keep them. These brokage fees for most part are completely avoidable with a small amount of knowledge and effort. I routinely avoid these types of fees all the time.

It's hard to believe I'm saying this - but in this one particular situation our government isn't screwing us over (any more than normal); it's opportunistic shipping/brokerage companies trying to take advantage of us. And many of these companies routinely do succeed at this, they get money for nothing and try to tell us it's the government's fault but they are actually taking it for themselves.

I hope that help shed some light on this.

And being the end of December I hope you have Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

[This message has been edited by W Scott (edited 12-23-2010).]

nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintDirect Link to This Post
YO,
Its not our Goverment charging us fees, its the Fiero store and UPS

The goverment charges a flat rate of five bucks...which we are complaining about and which does not happen every time...
Free trade only applies on parts manufactured in the US, not sold...

Some body buy me some sway bar bushings and ill post up all the BS charges and what the actual charges are when they arrive!!!
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
unfortunatly there is nowhere in Canada to buy specific fiero parts, and we at times need certin things to keep our pride and joys on the road, i personaly have owned fieros for 20 years, and went through restoration with them costing big bucks, And i guess i speek for all us Canadians we are not looking for things for free, and we understand there are applicable chages that are un,controllable that being said, we have no chioce but to pay the fees added i wish there was a Fiero Store here in Canada

For anyone looking for parts check out Rodney Dickman first see if he has what you need, i have done business with him many times and he knows our issues with shipping and he cares about his customers, so much that he attends fiero events,I dont think i have ever read or seen a negitive post about him in all my 20 years of Fiero.
I have never seen The Fiero Store at a piticular event as so we can buy parts
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
I think some people just like to bicker about this on and on. I've never had problems with TFS shipping and I think the shipping is reasonable.

Also, people have to understand not to use UPS. That's the biggest problem why the cost is high. I used to live in New-Brunswick, Canada, and I ordered a clutch line from TFS. I needed it quickly. I know that UPS has a jet that comes in every day 2am in the morning. I ordered the clutch line at 3:30pm and recieved the package not even 24 later hours later. The door bell rang at 2pm the next day. I recall I paid 70$ brokerage fee. Hey, but I got it in less than 24 hours. I got the clutch line, but extremely fast. But there is a price to pay. Where I live now UPS doesn't have a jet or plane that flys in everyday, but another corrier company take care of it. So its not worth paying 70-80$ for something that will take still 4-5 days to get.

I've used USPS all the time and I think the prices are very reasonable. You guys have to understand that things / shipping isn't free. There's a price to pay. If you think your getting ripped off, make a round trip to TFS with you car and come back on on here and say if you saved money. You won't. Unless you live 1-2 hours away. But again, lets be reasonable.

Just remember folks, if TFS wasn't around who / where would you find fiero parts in new condition?? Nowhere.

Finally, its not nessessary to buy parts for your fiero if you can get them locally like sensors, gaskets, engine parts, propular bearings, basic tune-up parts, universal body fittings, etc. Simple parts you can get at your local outlet parts store.

Have a great X-mas folks...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RULOOKIN:

unfortunatly there is nowhere in Canada to buy specific fiero parts, and we at times need certin things to keep our pride and joys on the road, i personaly have owned fieros for 20 years, and went through restoration with them costing big bucks, And i guess i speek for all us Canadians we are not looking for things for free, and we understand there are applicable chages that are un,controllable that being said, we have no chioce but to pay the fees added i wish there was a Fiero Store here in Canada

For anyone looking for parts check out Rodney Dickman first see if he has what you need, i have done business with him many times and he knows our issues with shipping and he cares about his customers, so much that he attends fiero events,I dont think i have ever read or seen a negitive post about him in all my 20 years of Fiero.
I have never seen The Fiero Store at a piticular event as so we can buy parts

Rodney's a smart guy... he stays out of non-Fiero conversations like politics, religion, etc...

However, just because you don't see the Fiero Store at any car show event, doesn't mean they don't care. The guy (Matt I think) owns several Fieros, and was even a top story on Yahoo News last year. That said, there's like maybe 3 people who work there, and for all I know, they could be family. I don't think he makes too much profit, at least not enough that he can afford to go around like Keith Maney of Year One, or Jim Schmidt of National Parts Depot.

Just saying, I'd really like to see people give the Fiero Store a break when they run into a problem, rather than immediately get on here and post garbage about them. It doesn't help ANYONE... it actually hurts the rest of us. I've never had anything but spectacular service from the Fiero Store for the past 11-12 years that I've been buying from them. I still have my 1997-1998 catalog in the garage.

They've always taken returns when "I" screw up and order the wrong thing, and when they don't think they can fulfill an order that they expected to be able to (only happened once), they called me to let me know, and I got it a few days later.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
If you think the price of shipping is high just think what the parts would cost if no one made repo's of some of these items. Supply and demand controls price. Word to the wise Fiero's will only get harder and more expensive as time moves on.

My company tried to ship as much as we can postal to Canada to keep the cost down. Some items have to go truck or UPS so we can not avoid the brokerage fees.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 12-23-2010).]

FieroMontreal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2010 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Did you not read the topic before replying?

We are not complaining about the 5% Tax that we are paying on the products! 5% tax is nothing and we don't care about it. What we are complaining about is the UPS special FEE that UPS charges for international parcels. Lets not make this a debate about governments when it has nothing to do with it.

I'll try to explain it a bit more. Every time an international package arrives it must go thru customs. Customs charges 5% tax on the total amount of the purchase. (So far everything is ok). UPS then tacks on an Extra "Broker" fee. This fee is for letting them (UPS) take your package thru custom's for you. This "Broker" fee is very high, I've seen it from $30 to $150 it depends on your order). In other words; Lets say you order $100 worth of parts. The government will charge us $5 for taxes and duties and UPS will charge us $50 for getting our package thru customs. When the UPS delivery guy knocks on the door we will have to give him $55 ($50 of which goes into UPS's pocket)

Now lets say we use USPS for the same package as above. They will not charge us to clear custom's on a package! They will do this for free and simply charge the normal tax and duties. So for the same package when the delivery guy knocks on the door he will charge us $5 to get our package.

Is that easier to understand? What we are saying is that UPS freaking sucks. I once paid $80 in broker fee to "clear" a $100 Fiero spoiler. That turns a good purchase into a horrible purchase.

[This message has been edited by FieroMontreal (edited 12-24-2010).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2010 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
We also ship world wide and you should see the prices else where. It only gets worse and it is not only UPS.

I have seen some creative legal ways people try to get around the taxes and charges.

The best was the guy who had me send a Small Block engine to his Yacht in the port of Istanbul. He claimed it had to go to the boat as it was under another national flag and would save him money.
Believe it or not he a some friends owned old NASCR racers and they road raced them in Turkey.

The only real options to Canada are. Ship them postal. Ship items to an address or friend on the US side and come pick them up and declare them at the boarder. Finally we ship to places called boarder stores that recieve shipments for Canadians. They will hold items till you come and get them for a small fee.

I know not everyone lives driving distance to the boarder but most Canadians do. It is an option many take on large items that the postal can not take.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 12-24-2010).]

RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2010 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMontreal:

Did you not read the topic before replying?

We are not complaining about the 5% Tax that we are paying on the products! 5% tax is nothing and we don't care about it. What we are complaining about is the UPS special FEE that UPS charges for international parcels. Lets not make this a debate about governments when it has nothing to do with it.

I'll try to explain it a bit more. Every time an international package arrives it must go thru customs. Customs charges 5% tax on the total amount of the purchase. (So far everything is ok). UPS then tacks on an Extra "Broker" fee. This fee is for letting them (UPS) take your package thru custom's for you. This "Broker" fee is very high, I've seen it from $30 to $150 it depends on your order). In order words; Lets say you order $100 worth of parts. The government will charge us $5 for taxes and duties and UPS will charge us $50 for getting our package thru customs. When the UPS delivery guy knocks on the door we will have to give him $55

Now lets say we use USPS for the same package as above. They will not charge us to clear custom's on a package! They will do this for free and simply charge the normal tax and duties. So for the same package when the delivery guy knocks on the door he will charge us $5 to get our package.

Is that easier to understand? What we are saying is that UPS freaking sucks. I once paid $80 in broker fee to "clear" a $100 Fiero spoiler. That turns a good purchase into a horrible purchase.

thank you for clearing that up to everyone I was just trying to let future buyers be aware if they wernt alreay what to expect, and give some of my personal advice on ways around the ups or fedex charges, as for the fiero store charges maybe a bit high but i have always been told what i was paying on shipping before my transaction,so no issue there, as we have seen here in this thread many Canadians want or need things from the fiero store from time to time and almost all have the same problem with the handleing charges we get hit with, some of us dont have the option to go over the border to pick things up at a USPS office or PO box as we live far from the border so my imput into other shipping arangements will come in handy to someone here for sure.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the informative thread. I have a bunch of stuff I am about to order from TFS. Just to confirm, the best way to go is to ask TFS to ship to me directly using USPS, correct?

I really don't feel like being bent over by UPS, especially without even buying me dinner or flowers first!

BtotheB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post
I just received some stuff from TFS, rates were reasonable.. I had to pay customs, but not as bad as I remember things being. Shipping with USPS is an option - select the Priority/Express Mail Int'l for this.

Brad
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
There rates have gone down.. i ordered some peddle shaft bushing's (for the 3rd time) and the shipping was $1.50 less this time around. Felt good to pay more for the part than the shipping for a change.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

There rates have gone down.. i ordered some peddle shaft bushing's (for the 3rd time) and the shipping was $1.50 less this time around. Felt good to pay more for the part than the shipping for a change.

So, are you telling us that customs charges have gone down for items shipped from the Fiero Store to Downingtown PA?

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

So, are you telling us that customs charges have gone down for items shipped from the Fiero Store to Downingtown PA?

LOL...PK is somewhere in left field... or outta the ball park...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock