Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  finishing a Diablo, Whodeanie style! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
finishing a Diablo, Whodeanie style! by whodeanie
Started on: 06-26-2010 05:33 PM
Replies: 75
Last post by: LAMBORRARI on 12-23-2012 12:41 AM
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2010 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
the shop thread was getting a bit long and this build will take up a lot of it so I decided to give it it's own build thread.

the person that was building the car is a great builder but with the way the world is now his time is taken up by just getting by so the car has set for a while.
I was contacted buy his customer about finishing it and it just so happened I knew the car and builder before he ever called me. so I whent and looked at it and aranged to get it to the shop to finish it for him. it does have a long way to go. I will keep this thread up to date on the progress and it should be fun for all.

this is what I am starting with......
enjoy
D.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SMTHGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2010 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post
This should be interesting...

------------------

Steve
Aka. "SmoothGT"
1987 GT 4.9L~V8 ~4T6OE
SmoothGT~II

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2010 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Will keep this one on my watchlist.
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2010 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
I'd rock it just like that.

------------------
86 SE ChopTop 4 Speed 3.4 "The Short Bus"

"For Sale"

17Car

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2010 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarDirect Link to This Post
Nice, even has a targa top.
Any type of drivetrain in it yet?
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 17Car:

Nice, even has a targa top.
Any type of drivetrain in it yet?

yes it has a drivetrain you tell me what it is

LOL!

we will be getting started on this one next week.

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post
It looks like a 2.8 v-6 to me......with a really good engine cover
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DL10:

BINGO ! that was quick LOL!

CrazyBernie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyBernieSend a Private Message to CrazyBernieDirect Link to This Post
The EGR sorta gives it away. 0_o
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CrazyBernie:

The EGR sorta gives it away. 0_o

Yea, not all the covers are on it yet. still need the right side cover and the intake tubes.

RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Hey did you pick that up from Gabe? If so he is a really cool guy. It looks like his D&R, those front bumper rollers give it away. I know his work well. Nice find and I hope you got a great it for a great price.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DL10:

I was going to say a 2.8 with a cheesy fake plastic cover on it. I hope that is not a part of the finished car.

Other than that, it looks promising. I love the Lambo rebodies.

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RUNDLC:

Hey did you pick that up from Gabe? If so he is a really cool guy. It looks like his D&R, those front bumper rollers give it away. I know his work well. Nice find and I hope you got a great it for a great price.

Yes it is one of the cars Gabe was working on but life got in the way so the owner asked me to finish it for him. Gabe is a great guy. I look forward to finishing the car for the owner and Gabe may stop by from time to time to lend a hand on the car.
D.

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
That'll keep you busy for a while!n Have fun!
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2010 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Those bagging this engine cover should admit it is the best looking and most realistic engine cover we have seen. A fiero enthusiast will of course see the dogbone and know it doesn''t belong on a lamborghini but then there is the rest of the public. A replica is just that a replica so why not replicate the engine bay other wise make a custom car so your engine won't seem out of place.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2010 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
This one will start getting a lot of TLC this week. it will take a day or two to figure out all the wires, it is a big nest of them all over the dash
first up will be to get the car wired and running then finish the body.
I wiil keep you all posted.
D.
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2010 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
Make sure to mount the rear tires facing the right way.

Other wise looks like a nice car!
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2010 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

Make sure to mount the rear tires facing the right way.

Other wise looks like a nice car!

HA, HA! they where not on the car when we went to get it and we just threw them on with a few lugs.
D.
17Car

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2010 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarDirect Link to This Post
Out of curiosity, what does that use for weatherstripping and bracing for the targa top?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2010 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
If thats a Warock kit, good luck with the roof. My removable top fit so poorly, I threw it away and built another from scratch. It took 4 people and rubber mallets to beat it on, Fit fine on the engine cover. Gas fill was on the wrong side. And after buying an OEM Lambo windshield (over $1000), it missed fitting the frame by 2 inches in some places. Ive built quite a few kits and this one was trash. I finally got so fed up, I sold it 3/4 done and gave the buyer beware to the new owner. It had no interior work done, but it did have a new 2.8 and purdy replica Lambo wheels.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2010 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
it is not a warlock kit it was made by D&R. we where able to start tracking the wires today. this part will take most of the time
so no new pics to post yet.
D.

PFF
System Bot
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2010 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
A bit of advice, avoid the rear harness! Run your brake lights direct from the switch and you can tie into the turn sigs from the front. It will save some time, however if Gabe or you for that matter have found a better way go for it.
Fiero88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2010 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero88GTSend a Private Message to Fiero88GTDirect Link to This Post
thats a great looking kit so far! cant wait to see the finished product.
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Best of luck with this project!
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2010 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
the last few days we have been working to finish up another car I had in the shop before this one but we have had a little time to sort some of the wires and find things that still needed to be done. because we did not start this one I want to make sure to look over every part so I know it has been done.
I will keep you posted with more next week.
D.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
yesterday and today we were able to work on the Lambo and I will say this I have my work cut out for me on this one
the first thing I wanted to do was to get the car running and today we fired it for the first time but it does have a few things we need ti fix. the plugs are bad, and the car had no coolant in it so we looked over the lines and filled it up to find that the heater line has a hole in the hard line under the car
we also had to remove the starter and install some shims as well as a long list of other little repairs.

also we wanted to fit all the body parts and interior parts as well to make sure they all fit as well as make sure we have all the parts we need and yes I am missing several.

I will post more later...
D.

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
Got some new parts in today for the Lambo.

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Hey now... Where'd ya get that sweet AC controller sitting on the dashboard........
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
I take it from the looks of those HUGE rotors and multi piston brake calipers that this machine will be on the receiving end of some serious Horsepower? I know If I could afford to build a Lambo kit I would definitely not be satisfied with the stock engine..... Any clues? peace

Pete
1986 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post
Uhh...brake details, please?
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
Let's see
the AC controler came from you a while ago, the customer bought it for the last builder.

and as far as the brakes they are Wilwood 6 piston Cailpers that are a direct bolt up to the HT mounts for the 4 piston setup. no mods required.

the car will still only have the stock 6 cyl. motor but the customer wanted the big brake look.
D.
PFF
System Bot
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
Why do kit car owners have to do this? *sigh*

Rest of the car is looking good... The Fiero makes a good Diablo.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 07-30-2010).]

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
When done "right", it's actually convincing.. Unfortunately that costs $$$. I once saw a Diablo kit at Carlisle that I had to climb underneath to figure out it wasn't a "real" engine... Of course, that must make it an even bigger pain to work on. I can imagine it's not easy to climb over the body to work in the bay on that thing!
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
here are some pics fro the open house.
D.

It still has a long way to go but we wanted to put it together for the show.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
Wow, that has come a long way! It looked great in person!
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2010 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
Friday we got the 6 piston Calipers on the car as well as worked on several other parts of it as well.
D.

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-14-2010 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whodeanie:
It still has a long way to go but we wanted to put it together for the show.

Already a beautiful car though. Too bad it doesn't have a V12.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2010 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I love the look of the car... the color is an odd choice but it really suits the car nevertheless in my opinion. It's hard to tell if the engine bay covers are as convincing in real life as they are in the photos, but I think they're a pretty neat idea especially if you're running a stock powertrain. One thing I'd be just a little concerned with is airflow through the engine bay. Most mid engined cars exhaust a lot of heat through the top of the decklid so how is airflow managed under those all-encompassing engine covers?

Also, it doesn't look like there's any accommodation for the radiator up front... was it (or they) moved to the rear of the car under the taillights? Any pics of that? What radiator(s) were used? Keep the pics coming!
LAMBORRARI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBORRARISend a Private Message to LAMBORRARIDirect Link to This Post

the shop thread was getting a bit long and this build will take up a lot of it so I decided to give it it's own build thread.

the person that was building the car is a great builder but with the way the world is now his time is taken up by just getting by so the car has set for a while.
I was contacted buy his customer about finishing it and it just so happened I knew the car and builder before he ever called me. so I whent and looked at it and aranged to get it to the shop to finish it for him. it does have a long way to go. I will keep this thread up to date on the progress and it should be fun for all.

this is what I am starting with......
enjoy
D.

What a project & what a good work you have done Dean.

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post

That photograph right there shows why this is a VERY proper build, even before seeing the doors open and the car complete.

Here's why.

Many Diablo Roadster replicas have issues with either the front trunk or the rear decklid not opening "properly". Now realize what "properly" is. Sure they open just fine. What very often happens though is that so much focus is put on making the cockpit doors open correctly (Dean can probably atest to the build hours that have likely been put into just the doors themselves. I'd imagine it's been a lot of time.) that the trunks are neglected in the interest of time. Look at the multitude of Diablo and Countach builds out there from the front and direct rear and you'll see what I mean. There's always some sort of fitment issues that actually do not become seriously apparent until the trunks are open.

That rear decklid shot, open with the roof panel attached where it normally stowes away on the real deal, is a money shot. On the real car, you're supposed to be able to open the rear trunk with the roof panel on the car. However, if the decklid isn't hinged properly, it either can't open up with the roof on it (it pivots too far upwards) or it potentially has to be made to pivot further towards the back of the car. The way it opens now is spot-on to a real Diablo Roadster. That may have been a hinge system that came on the kit, or Dean is simply that good into details. I don't know. Either way, it's right.

Things like this are what separate a "kit car" from a "replica".
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock