Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Fiero Option #3 & 4: Glassed Hatchback & Glassed Deck lid Versions (post them here). (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Fiero Option #3 & 4: Glassed Hatchback & Glassed Deck lid Versions (post them here). by madcurl
Started on: 02-06-2009 01:34 PM
Replies: 122
Last post by: madcurl on 01-05-2013 12:17 PM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2009 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
In the beginning, GM had a few concept ideas for the Fiero. One idea that never reached the concept stage was a glassed hatchback version. Granted, GM is now cranking out a glass hatchback Solstice version. Not to be left in the shadows of a Solstice- some of us have decided it's time for a change. All Fieros; Finale's, Non-chopped/Chopped, custom versions, and glassed deck lid versions please post them here.

IMO there are many ideas floating around that could be used, especially using a larger glass for all deck lid versions. If it were me, I'd be exploring these possibilities.

------------------

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2009 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Lizardo kit:

hagans19

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2009 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hagans19Send a Private Message to hagans19Direct Link to This Post
i think archie is makeing one under whats going on at archie ??
Nohbdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2009 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NohbdySend a Private Message to NohbdyDirect Link to This Post
yeah he is. think theres an unfinished version on page 57
hagans19

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2009 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hagans19Send a Private Message to hagans19Direct Link to This Post
here is the one from archie

Bremertonfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2009 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BremertonfieroSend a Private Message to BremertonfieroDirect Link to This Post
what seperates people from the engine?
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2009 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bremertonfiero:

what seperates people from the engine?

People are sentient, supposedly intelligent, beings while the engine is just a mechanical device built to serve us.

Sorry, couldn't resist - the back glass is still there. The "second skin" glass is just for looks...

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 02-08-2009).]

Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2009 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by toddshotrods:

People are sentient, supposedly intelligent, beings while the engine is just a mechanical device built to serve us.

Sorry, couldn't resist - the back glass is still there. The "second skin" glass is just for looks...

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2009 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by toddshotrods:

That's the main difference between the hatchback on a front engine car and a Fiero...on the Solstice the hatch area can actually be used for storage and makes the car more practical. On the Fiero it's strictly for looks.
D2inDFW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2009 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D2inDFWClick Here to visit D2inDFW's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2inDFWDirect Link to This Post
Er... how does the heat get out?
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2009 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
i dont know what to tink of them they look very nice but they scream 300ZX at me. tell you the truth the back end being flat is what brought me to fieros. you dont see cars like that anymore for under 100k.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 02-08-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2009 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by D2inDFW:

Er... how does the heat get out?

Clayton's car isn't finished, but the Crew will no doubt cut some type of pattern for venting.

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2009 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
It is a weight adder, but I imagine it would reduce the drag a lot.
Probably increase the top speed at least a couple km/h.
The vertical window on a stock Fiero sucks.

I imagine though at lower speeds it might hurt the handling some, probably pretty heavy, and mounted high up in the car.

Any opinions on the drag reduction benefits or weight increasing drawbacks?
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2009 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Lizardo kit:

That is not the Lizardo Kit. The Lizardo Kit is a total rebody kit that resembles the Lambo Galardo. That is just a hatch designed to fit the standard Fastback Fiero

------------------

Click here for all your Fiberglass part needs

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2009 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
A while back bubbajoe was working on a Fiero that looked like a station wagon. I don't know what beame of it but it was unique looking.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

A while back bubbajoe was working on a Fiero that looked like a station wagon. I don't know what beame of it but it was unique looking.

It's still around Dennis, I bought it in April 2008 and got it on the road the day before driving it to the 25th.
It may never be "completed" but here's a picture from last fall.
I continued the original build thread that can be found in my signature.

Ryan

------------------

Indy Northstar-Stretch ~ LT1-NOS Roadster

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

It is a weight adder, but I imagine it would reduce the drag a lot.
Probably increase the top speed at least a couple km/h.
The vertical window on a stock Fiero sucks.

I imagine though at lower speeds it might hurt the handling some, probably pretty heavy, and mounted high up in the car.

Any opinions on the drag reduction benefits or weight increasing drawbacks?

In my case, it's mainly for looks and a challenge build. As for the weight vs stock.... I have no idea, but do know that the glass/metal/fiberglass is heavier than stock. Maybe Archie could weigh the 350Z deck and stock deck lid?

The drag too is a unknown factor for know body has access to a system to check it or for that matter- checking everything else. Granted, no one car would be the same for all usually have different noses, ground FX, windshields, and such. #020 would be different outcome since the car is chopped with a non-stock front windshield, wide body, and nose. Too many variables to fit all applications.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post02-10-2009 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Lizardo kit:

What does something like this do to the heat in the engine bay?
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post02-10-2009 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Fiero2m8:

It's still around Dennis, I bought it in April 2008 and got it on the road the day before driving it to the 25th.
It may never be "completed" but here's a picture from last fall.
I continued the original build thread that can be found in my signature.

Ryan

Hey, i think i followed that car to the museum...
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post

In my case, it's mainly for looks and a challenge build. As for the weight vs stock.... I have no idea, but do know that the glass/metal/fiberglass is heavier than stock. Maybe Archie could weigh the 350Z deck and stock deck lid?

The drag too is a unknown factor for know body has access to a system to check it or for that matter- checking everything else. Granted, no one car would be the same for all usually have different noses, ground FX, windshields, and such. #020 would be different outcome since the car is chopped with a non-stock front windshield, wide body, and nose. Too many variables to fit all applications.

Either way it's pretty badass!
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

What does something like this do to the heat in the engine bay?

With large side scoops I would think the heat wouldn't be an issue while the car is moving.
I have Archie rocker scoops and FiberSmith sail scoops installed in my car, the air going directly into the compartment should vent pretty well. I wouldnt want to put them on a stock Fiero without adding some kind of extra venting.

I have my eye on both of them, but you never know I may just cut the roof off and put on a Tunnel Ram and be done with it
PFF
System Bot
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoDirect Link to This Post
The improvement in drag coeffecient always out performs weight reduction at high speeds. An extra 30 lbs at 100 mph is negligible compared to a loss of even 1 Cd. Just look at the Bugatti Veyron: 4500 lbs with a 253 mph top speed, given it has 1000 Hp, the new ZR1 Vette has nearly the same power to weight ratio, but it will only do 205 drag limited. I can't say the extra weight up high will improve the handling, but every Ferrari (mid-engine coupes) since the mid 90s has sported a glass engine cover similar to the ones above.
Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:
Hey, i think i followed that car to the museum...

Well usually what is behind me is of no concern...but the way to the museum I snapped this one - nice car

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Option #3 & #4;

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
The details;

Originally posted by Archie:

Bringing this thread up to date....

I don't think I ever described the hinges we made for the hatchback lid.

As I've stated before I wanted this hatchback kit done so that no mods needed to be done to the rear clip to install the hatch. So we modified the old Fiero decklid hinges to fit under the plastic upper rear roof section of the rear clip.

We then inserted a threaded plate between the 2 layers of the Fiero spaceframe behind the sunroof opening.

The hatch is setup to use the original Fiero decklid bumpers, Key Lock & latch....

topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
I like the hatch, but looks a little rear heavy. Loses the "balanced" look of a stock Fiero if that makes sense. I still like it. I'll consider it for my GT. I'd have to do something with the widebody and spoiler though, maybe that's it... Need to get the hamster running with some ideas.

edit: maybe it needs an additional window between the door windows and quarter window scoop, open it up a bit, like a Pantera or Esprit.

double edit: probably need to see it in person, first. Might look a whole lot different.

[This message has been edited by topher_time (edited 05-17-2009).]

Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Is it this one you are talking about ?

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 06-01-2009).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-17-2009 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Robert 2, thanks for making me throwup in my mouth. It is liking witnessing an accident. Just can't turn my head away.
Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
Never said it is nice just tried to answer Dennis question
Dash

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DashSend a Private Message to DashDirect Link to This Post
so how would a hatch look on a notchback? lol
PFF
System Bot
wolf63

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wolf63Send a Private Message to wolf63Direct Link to This Post
i think a saw the wagon version somewhere deep in Bubbajoe's thread. it was originally on the Fiero that ended up with the Camero rear glass. if i'm not mistaken there was a shot of it cut up and trashed.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Dash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DashSend a Private Message to DashDirect Link to This Post

and ive JIZZED. IN. MY. PANTS

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-18-2009 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Robert2, not knocking you. Just the pic. It is actually quite nice when someone pulls up a pic of a different idea. I have nothing but love for everyone on this forum.
Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Robert2, not knocking you. Just the pic. It is actually quite nice when someone pulls up a pic of a different idea. I have nothing but love for everyone on this forum.

After i found it was Miss Lori's car , i have the same feeling than you had

I didn't take it as an offense , just telling you why i posted that pic .
Regard Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 05-19-2009).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Dash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DashSend a Private Message to DashDirect Link to This Post

*wiping up blood from eyesockets*
sorry i asked
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2009 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
I often think of the rear "glass" in one of the '60s-'70s Porsche? race cars. Plexiglass with a number of 4 inch wide louvers formed in. Strictly for aerodynamics, louvers to vent the heat.

~Neil
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2009 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock