Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  The Fiero will be back in 2013... (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
The Fiero will be back in 2013... by falcon_ca
Started on: 06-13-2011 05:50 PM
Replies: 52
Last post by: Toddster on 06-16-2011 02:15 PM
falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
...or so

According to TheDetroitBureau.com, the next Corvette generation, the C7, will come with a "small" hight rev 3 liters turbo V8 in a mid-engine layout.

The Fiero's revenge....

http://www.thedetroitbureau...gh-revving-turbo-v8/

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 |
4.9 ongoing project | Parts for sale

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroG97J

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JDirect Link to This Post
So that would then be a Fivette? Or a Corvero?
fierogt27

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
I really hope they don't. They should keep the corvette as a corvette.
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
I really hope they DO!! The Corvette is an amazing car especially the newer models and to have a mid engine well balanced technological tour de force in the new Corvette, whatever they want to call it, is a step in the right direction if you ask me. I have seen some artists conceptions of that proposed car and it looks amazing. They sure as hell better get it right the first time or the vette guys will just plain kill it. There is no doubt that a mid engine rear or all wheel drive car is the best layout in terms of performance and there are far too many race cars sporting that layout to argue that fact. If the new vette were to be very well balanced and suspended it would be an even more potent player on the world stage. I am also thinking that some of the technology and parts from this car could make it's way into a fiero someday after they are around awhile. I have always loved corvettes and they are a great value in a supercar today, and yes the new ZR1 is definitely a supercar, and if they were to built it this way yet RETAIN the corvette's unique style and comfort as well as bang for the buck they would surely have a winner.... Peace

Pete

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
It will probably be notorious for fires.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
GM has been doing this for decades. Every time they "threaten" to change the Corvette, the purists start foaming at the mouth, and they back down. I wouldn't be surprised if it was all a reverse-psychology game.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

It will probably be notorious for fires.

timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

I really hope they DO!! The Corvette is an amazing car especially the newer models and to have a mid engine well balanced technological tour de force in the new Corvette, whatever they want to call it, is a step in the right direction if you ask me. I have seen some artists conceptions of that proposed car and it looks amazing. They sure as hell better get it right the first time or the vette guys will just plain kill it. There is no doubt that a mid engine rear or all wheel drive car is the best layout in terms of performance and there are far too many race cars sporting that layout to argue that fact. If the new vette were to be very well balanced and suspended it would be an even more potent player on the world stage. I am also thinking that some of the technology and parts from this car could make it's way into a fiero someday after they are around awhile. I have always loved corvettes and they are a great value in a supercar today, and yes the new ZR1 is definitely a supercar, and if they were to built it this way yet RETAIN the corvette's unique style and comfort as well as bang for the buck they would surely have a winner.... Peace

Pete

If you want an eye opening experinece you need to take a day and do the following... go to a dealer and test drive a Z06 Vette. then go and test drive a GTR.
the GTR is utterly amazing It is far better composed in the curves than the vette is and feels more like a sports car inside, which is wierd for a car with more than 2 seats.

And yes I have driven both.

[This message has been edited by timgray (edited 06-13-2011).]

pavo_roddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Finally_Mine_86_GT:

HI all

TOOOOOO FUNNNYYY!!!! Right-click-save-as....!

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen.... An advancement, of other
voices I came across.

S.F??, hint, it's a car manufacturer....

Do not walk infront of me, I may not follow. Do not walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend forever.
-unknown- found here: http://crystal-cure.com/love-quote.html

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Finally_Mine_86_GT:

UND_Sioux

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UND_SiouxSend a Private Message to UND_SiouxDirect Link to This Post
Remember that a car can be "mid-engine" when the engine sits aft of the front wheels in a front engine configuration.
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-13-2011 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by UND_Sioux:

Remember that a car can be "mid-engine" when the engine sits aft of the front wheels in a front engine configuration.

All Vettes have been mid-engine for some time now, yes. Also, Internet rumor mill sites exist for a reason. As well as they are called rumors for a reason.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
They discussed this a bit in OT here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/085614.html

Saw this concept on the net.

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
I read somewhere that the C7 will not be mid-engine... maybe the C8.

[Edit: Hmm... http://www.autoweek.com/art...7/carnews/100319875]

[This message has been edited by skuzzbomer (edited 06-13-2011).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
Interesting, I would personally like to see it happen! Immagine 10 years down the road, when a few have been in accidents and such, what a junk yard / engine swap find that would be!!!!

On another note, how could this reporter POSSIBLY skirt around and around the Fiero so much, and not mention it even once?!?!

In fact, some of the design cues of the new car will be borrowed from early generations.

Hmmm "Earlier generations"?

Adopting a mid-engine layout, rather than the long-running front-engine design, is considered a strong possibility, though it would be a significant engineering shift for GM.

Would it now?

Anticipate further cuts in mass for the upcoming remake of Chevy’s halo car.

Hmmm smaller, mid-engine, fiberglass, 2 seater... Hmmmm
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigDirect Link to This Post
very nice.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
They should make a mid engine 2 seater commuter car for the masses and keep the corvette a corvette.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 06-13-2011).]

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraDirect Link to This Post
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

They should make a mid engine 2 seater commuter car for the masses and keep the corvette a corvette.

Now THERE is a novel idea
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Interesting, I would personally like to see it happen! Immagine 10 years down the road, when a few have been in accidents and such, what a junk yard / engine swap find that would be!!!!

LOL The car hasn't even come out yet and we are already thinking of swapping the powerplant into a 25 year old car. Too Funny.

------------------

bnevets27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bnevets27Send a Private Message to bnevets27Direct Link to This Post
That looks terrible!

So a solstice but mid engine...
PFF
System Bot
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Let it happen. It could open new doors as far as engine swaps go.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Now THERE is a novel idea

Seriously though, you don't have many choices here in the US, The last mr2 was small and ugly.

I really wish we could get these cars in the US

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 06-14-2011).]

tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

I really wish we could get these cars in the US

Speaking of small and ugly...
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
The concept of the Corvette being rear mid-engine has been tossed around for over 40 years. Keep in mind that GM internally cannot make up their minds either. There have been high level debates on exactly this topic for as long as there have been rumors. I would take any talk with a grain so salt. I worked on the C6, and Z06 programs. I know about these discussions from internal sources. Again, I would not hold my breath.
Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterDirect Link to This Post
I heard a rumor that the AFM can't be used with the divorced engine/trans setup of the Vette. Something about vibrations from the 4 cyl mod. I don't know is this is true but with MPG always being discussed I see it as a possibility.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-14-2011 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xyster:

I heard a rumor that the AFM can't be used with the divorced engine/trans setup of the Vette. Something about vibrations from the 4 cyl mod. I don't know is this is true but with MPG always being discussed I see it as a possibility.

I don't know about vibration being an issue. There's a lot of vibration in the modded Vettes that have very large cams and such, as well. I would suspect perhaps something more related to torque. And the aerodynamics of the Vette, make AFM a bit less of a need there, unlike in the trucks, sedans, and the Camaro. And there's also the top-end sports car image issue as well. They might not put it in the Vette simply because it is a Vette.
FieroG97J

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JDirect Link to This Post
Whatever they build it has to be under 15K for any of us to consider it.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
well - I guess it comes down to:

want the 'vette to be
a) competitive or b) american
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

want the 'vette to be

It is not an either/or choice. The Corvette is world class right now:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/085820.html

Why radically change a car that is already competitive and winning?

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

want the 'vette to be

c) under six figure price tag...
PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
I've owned a '97 and have had friends that have owned various ones to 2008.

They are all junk.
They look great in your garage but take them out in the rain and they leak like sieves and develop more electrical problems than an MG.

Your trunk floods and shorts out the computer that controls your suspension and then the car limits you to 79mph. So don't be afraid to have your 4cyl Fiero step up to a 97+ Vette on the highway, you'll most likely pull on him starting at 80mph.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-14-2011 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:
I've owned a '97 and have had friends that have owned various ones to 2008.

They are all junk.
They look great in your garage but take them out in the rain and they leak like sieves and develop more electrical problems than an MG.

Your trunk floods and shorts out the computer that controls your suspension and then the car limits you to 79mph. So don't be afraid to have your 4cyl Fiero step up to a 97+ Vette on the highway, you'll most likely pull on him starting at 80mph.

I'm gonna have to call BS on this. If only because I live in Southeastern VA, where it rains all the time, and everyone and their 3 brothers and both sisters have a C5 or C6 Vette.

edit: Doh, comment relating to other thread. Forgot this wasn't the LSx thread.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 06-14-2011).]

GT86FASTBACK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86FASTBACKSend a Private Message to GT86FASTBACKDirect Link to This Post

I think i am in love....
JCzzle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCzzleSend a Private Message to JCzzleDirect Link to This Post
You can't make the engine smaller and still get the same customers. Ford had to go back to the 5.0 just cause fanboys get so used to having the moniker. Corvette buyers buy them because of the big engines. That's why they're different from the Euro cars. Now they want to turn it into what it isn't and away from what it is, which is what the owners love and know it for.

Make a new car and market it as a supercar that competes with the likes. GM just wants the Corvette to be the top of their line no matter what. Imagine if they came up with an actual supercar instead and actually creates a new legendary car.
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
the Fiero will never be again due to it is a Pontiac and they are no longer . sure they can build a mid engine corvette but it would still be out of my price range where a real fiero was a inexpensive sports car about half the price of a vett and in my price range
Racing_Master

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racing_MasterSend a Private Message to Racing_MasterDirect Link to This Post
if they do make a corvette mid engined... that pretty much seals that GM discontinued the Fiero over it being better than the Corvette! Case closed!
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-14-2011 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT86FASTBACK:
I think i am in love....

Murci + F430 + Esprit + C6 nose doesn't really do it for me. The Corvette Indy and Stingray III were much sexier. Especially the Stingray.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 06-14-2011).]

timgray

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
You could get a rear engine corvette in the late 90's.....

This kit plus a Fiero plus about $15,000 in parts and you have a mid engine fiero that would EAT any corvette on the road in speed and handling.

Plus you were still much less than the price of a corvette performance model.
KraigG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KraigGSend a Private Message to KraigGDirect Link to This Post
Let's just hope they concentrate on the Corvette's quality issues. I had a C5, and it had more problems than my 27 year old Fiero. Ever had a steering column lock up on you? Tons of electrical gremlins? Things just fall off the car? Last new GM car I ever bought. And I'm still bitter.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock