Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  How Many Coils Can You Safely Cut Out Of The Front Of a Pre-88?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

How Many Coils Can You Safely Cut Out Of The Front Of a Pre-88? by fieroguy123
Started on: 06-01-2011 11:07 AM
Replies: 15
Last post by: KurtAKX on 06-02-2011 01:04 PM
fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
Like the title says, I have a customer wanting his front end lowered and he wants me to cut the springs. Would 2 coils (the heating the bottom coil the re-create the seat) and shortening the bump stop still be safe? Anyone have a picture of the ride height after similar midification?

As I understand it, all fieros had the same length front springs. But they vary in spring rate depending on how the car was optioned.

[This message has been edited by fieroguy123 (edited 06-01-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
Not sure about how many is ok but I’m pretty sure you are NOT supposed to use heat on them. It’ll change the temper of the steel and the ratio of the spring…or something like that. Anyway heat + spring = bad.
You can cut 3/4 to 1 off and see what it looks like. You can always cut more off, but you can't put it back on!
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
1.5 at the most but I suggest only 1......
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
If you put heat to the coil it will colaps under the cars weight and you will be on the ground. So that is a big no no. This is how to turn your car into a dragger low rider

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1994 BMW 530 V8 1997 BMW 328 85 300ZX

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
None is the best option. It is a dangerous practice. Proper lowering springs are really not a lot of dollars.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

None is the best option. It is a dangerous practice. Proper lowering springs are really not a lot of dollars.

Nothing really dangerous about cutting stock springs...There is really nothing that can go wrong....
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Nothing really dangerous about cutting stock springs...There is really nothing that can go wrong....

There is plenty can go wrong. There is a damn good reason that practice is banned here and many other countries. Throws spring rates out, bad handling, safety issues etc. But if none of that is important to you?
G_Reaper

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for G_ReaperClick Here to visit G_Reaper's HomePageSend a Private Message to G_ReaperDirect Link to This Post
It is absolutely ok as long as you don't put the coils through too much heat stress (quick cutting). I would say max 2 coils off the front and 1.5 off the rear. I've got 18's with ~1.5 inches to the top of the wheel well from the wheel on the front and ~2.5 inches to the wheel well from the tire on the rear (better for take offs). I'll take a picture tomorrow and upload it here on Friday/Saturday night.
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post
Never ever cut the coils in the middle! On a serious note --- how about using Rodneys 1" lowering ball joints -- could be a easier way to get the look.
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post

Rodney Dickman's 1" lowering ball joints in front, stock rear...
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguy123:

Like the title says, I have a customer wanting his front end lowered and he wants me to cut the springs. Would 2 coils (the heating the bottom coil the re-create the seat) and shortening the bump stop still be safe? Anyone have a picture of the ride height after similar midification?

As I understand it, all fieros had the same length front springs. But they vary in spring rate depending on how the car was optioned.

Don't do that...buy proper lowering coil springs or get Rodney's lowering ball joints.

You do NOT heat springs and / or also suspension chassis parts.

That's why lowering springs exist...do it the right & safe way. Those that tell you to cut them is because their too cheap to buy a lowering kit.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

[This message has been edited by fierogt28 (edited 06-01-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

You do NOT heat springs and / or also suspension chassis parts.

3rd or 4th or 5th that sentiment expressed in this thread.

My Friend and neighbor, Lenny Jr., back when I was in Highschool decided one weekend while his parents were away he was going to use his Dads tortch to heat up his front springs and lower his 69 Camaro in the front. He figured he'd jack it up before the got home and extend them back with heat (son't know why he thought that would work...). Anywho, he went off to go to his freinds house and hit a dip in the road. The springs shattered where they had been heated. He ended up having to have his car towed home and get new springs for the front (obviously).

When you heat the metal it looses it's temper and crystalizes the carbon in the metal. It makes them VERY brittle.
Jackdaniels

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2011 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JackdanielsSend a Private Message to JackdanielsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:
When you heat the metal it looses it's temper and crystalizes the carbon in the metal. It makes them VERY brittle.

Very true and VERY dangerous especially if you decide to "test" your new handling through mountain roads at high speeds.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Heating springs is not good....but cutting them is no differant from buying lowing springs...when cutting springs all you r doing is changing spring rate....the spring is not going to melt, fall apart, blow up,ect just from cutting a coil off...the only thing that could be dangerous is if you dont get it aligned afterwards and drive it in the rain....
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
NO HEAT!

You can cut as much as a coil and a half. I just did it on my 86' Sport. I would recommend around a coil, maybe coil and a quarter. No need to reshape the bottom, it fits back perfectly.

------------------
86 Fiero 2M4 Silver, and 86 GT

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
buy Herb Adams Chassis Engineering.

It details how to correctly cut, heat, and re-form springs.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock