Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  cheap but noticible performance upgrades for the v6?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

cheap but noticible performance upgrades for the v6? by Fiero88GT
Started on: 05-15-2011 10:10 AM
Replies: 19
Last post by: scott0999 on 05-18-2011 02:06 PM
Fiero88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero88GTClick Here to Email Fiero88GTSend a Private Message to Fiero88GTDirect Link to This Post
my car is pretty much stock except for the exhaust so i want to try and get a little more power out of it but i dont want to have to spend a bunch of money to get more power. the only thing ive really found is the accel super coil from the fiero store http://www.fierostore.com/P...px?s=51063&d=271&p=1 but i don't know if that would even make a noticeable difference. so what have other people done to get more power out of the 2.8?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
MSD coil... revs clean and doesn't hesitate.

Have you ported your exhaust manifolds and y-pipe? Looked into a Truleo intake?
IMSA GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 241
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTClick Here to Email IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
Honestly for some true power increase, there is quite a bit of money involved. Thats why most people just upgrade to a different motor. You end up spending close....or over....what a higher horsepower motor would cost.

For a 100% stock motor:
Truleo exhaust headers
Truleo intake
Throttle body bored out
A turbo setup
Catalytic converter delete
High flow exhaust setup

Even with the list above which is a few thousand dollars, you will only gain close to 100 horsepower which will destroy something with the stock block. If you tweak the turbo for more boost then the stock block will blow apart on you. They just designed that motor really poor. If you just want a better driving car with a smoother acceleration that will give you a slight hp increase and will still allow you to pass your smog inspections then change the coil, newer plugs, wires, cap, rotor, cold air intake just to help the motor breathe better....they don't do anything for power increase, and a high-flow exhaust will help.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 05-15-2011).]

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 396
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Click Here to Email $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
i just dug up a thread i did several years back, and i was amazed it was still active

adding extra grounds DOES help.
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/043240.html

[This message has been edited by $Rich$ (edited 05-15-2011).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTClick Here to Email IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

i just dug up a thread i did several years back, and i was amazed it was still active

adding extra grounds DOES help.
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/043240.html

It's still active because I point people in that direction ALL the time. Great writeup and it really works well. People don't realize that the engine cradle is technically separate from the car so those grounding straps are critical and the stock ones ALWAYS corrode away.
Fiero88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero88GTClick Here to Email Fiero88GTSend a Private Message to Fiero88GTDirect Link to This Post
i never even knew you could port the exhaust. how much hp would i gain from the trueleo intake and would that still fit under a stock decklid?
my exhaust has stock exhaust manifolds stock y pipe an off road downpipe with no cat and the rest is the ocelot exhaust from the fiero store. ive also done spark plugs and wires but it only has an i think ac delco cap and rotor. the only thing done to the intake is a k&n air filter.
$rich$ where can i get a ground strap do they sell them at places like autozone or sears?
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Trying to get a lot of HP out of the 2.8 is an exercise in futility, but there are some low cost bolt on mods that will give you a moderate improvement.

Porting the exhaust manifolds (not a huge fan of the y-pipe mod)
Matching the upper/middle/top intake manifold transitions
Dawgs throttle body neck enlargement modification if you can weld aluminum
Eliminate the catalytic converter or replace it with a new higher flowing cat
Under drive pulleys - if you can still find them
1.6 rockers
Eliminate the air/water seperator/silencer
Rodney's mod to the air filter canister (enlarged inlet opening)
Tuned for the above modifications

All the above can be done without engine removal and might get you 30 to 40 hp.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 05-15-2011).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTClick Here to Email IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero88GT:

......the only thing done to the intake is a k&n air filter.

Is it the short intake where it is still in the engine compartment of actually in the fender? Also, the ground straps are at any auto supply. Just go to the battery aisle and look for the right size replacement cable.
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 396
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Click Here to Email $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
make your own grounds by crimping ends on desired length of cable
good cable to use is a replacement battery cable from the parts store or stereo shop
Fiero88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero88GTClick Here to Email Fiero88GTSend a Private Message to Fiero88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Is it the short intake where it is still in the engine compartment of actually in the fender? Also, the ground straps are at any auto supply. Just go to the battery aisle and look for the right size replacement cable.

its the stock intake the only thing new is the filter so the filter is still in the engine bay but the air is still coming from the side scoop.
next time im at an auto store ill deffinently look for a battery cable and the end pieces.
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRClick Here to Email ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
I know this is not the answer your looking for, but just maintain the stock motor and save $$ for a swap. Take it from someone who did just about everything possible to the 2.8 aside from turboing it. Best your gonna get from a 2.8 (stoked to 3.1) w/ heavy mods is going to be under 200 chp (around 175+/- whp). This is going to cost you over $3 grand to do it right...

For well under $3k you can start at 240hp from a low-mile 3800sc...
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-15-2011 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
A 3800 is probably the chepest way to get any real performance upgrade from a stock V6.

All the bolt-ons for a 2.8 are going to get you maybe 1 hp here or 5 hp there, and their prices will add up fast. There's no easy bolt-on to get 20-30 hp on a 2.8. Closest thing would be Trueleo intake, and you're already at $600 for that.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-15-2011 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by fieroguru:
All the above can be done without engine removal and might get you 30 to 40 hp.

Until one of the manifold bolts snaps when you're trying to take it off.
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziClick Here to Email 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
A stiff tail wind.
HI-TECH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 123
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HI-TECHClick Here to visit HI-TECH's HomePageClick Here to Email HI-TECHSend a Private Message to HI-TECHDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

A stiff tail wind.

thats like also saying become anorexic so the car weighs less LOL....
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTClick Here to Email Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero88GT:

my car is pretty much stock except for the exhaust so i want to try and get a little more power out of it but i dont want to have to spend a bunch of money to get more power. the only thing ive really found is the accel super coil from the fiero store http://www.fierostore.com/P...px?s=51063&d=271&p=1 but i don't know if that would even make a noticeable difference. so what have other people done to get more power out of the 2.8?

Your high output coil just makes sure you get fire on the cylinder. It doesn't increase hp by itself.

If you go to http://60degreev6.com there is lots of help out there, but not much free.

The underdrive pulley and crank scraper are good but there is a cost.

Porting the exhaust and Y is a must, but the cost is directly related to the work you can do yourself. You need burrs, a Dremel, and you need to be able to weld. You also run the extreme risk of bolts breaking of in the head. This is almost universal. You need to soak them for at least a week with EZ out or something similar. I use the FREEZE type penetrating oil. You need access to get at the front bolts and it is a bear.

The reward for porting the exhaust is probably 6-8 hp if you do the whole job. If you can afford the Trueleo exhaust, you'll get more.

Porting the intake and port matching are important. Porting the head properly and adding 1.6 rockers is also important.

However, increasing power is never cheap.

Good luck on it

Arn

------------------

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageClick Here to Email Francis TSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
To get the most for your $$ -with the least vehical down time-, you need to address the engine's biggest power limiter 'the stock intake manifold.' it just wont flow much above 4.5K rpm. The above holds true even moreso with respect to the 3,4
You have two options here; our intake -trueleo- or a 4bbl carb setup, either will free up a lot of power, especially useable RPMs. Hotter cams, 1.6 rocker, better ignition systems, bigger TBs are just not worth doing if you don't change the intake.

The 2nd primary power limiter on these engines are headers/Y pipes. Here you have basiclly 3 options, port the stock units, Sprint headers, or ours.

BTW: while not the perfect match, the stock cam and chip will work fine with a new intake and/or headers.

If you have an engine with good compression, but lots of miles on it; I would put a new set of rod and main bearings in it if you go with a better intake and/or headers. New bearings are relatively cheep and not that hard to do. all of the above can be done without pulling the engine which can be a big plus for some people. Good luck.

------------------
[IMG]

trueleo.com
RSpiderII@aol.com

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageClick Here to Email AustralianSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
All great ideas if you want to keep the stock engine i personally like the above route over an engine swap but in reality there is much more hp to gain just by swapping to a 3.8. than what these mods offer but again i am more prone to keep my 2.8.
Gwain

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageClick Here to Email GwainSend a Private Message to GwainDirect Link to This Post
You didn't say how many miles you had on your engine, but here are a few things I did to pep up my 85GT (in addition to what's already been suggested):

Try some 1:6 rockers, think of it as a poor man's cam upgrade
While you're in there, replace your valve seals (the engine will burn out all that accumulated carbon)
Get a professional injector cleaning and testing (do at the same time as the above)

When I finished these things, at about 200 miles the engine just "smoothed" out and seemed to get a second wind! I think it was a combination of sealing up the oil leaks and letting the engine burn off that accumulated carbon, and the 1.6 rockers. The car's slated for a 3.4 heart transplant, so like you, I was looking for inexpensive boosts till the new engine was ready.

Marc in sunny Florida

------------------
Marc in sunny Titusville, FL

• 84 SE son's car, loaded
  • 85 Coup w/V6 transplant
  • 85 GT looking to a 3.4 transpant
  • 86 SE/GT "The Chameleon" - big plans!
  • 88 Factory T-Top, really, the "last" one!
scott0999

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Click Here to Email scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post
cheap needs to be defined

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock