Started on: 01-08-2011 09:18 PM
Replies: 195
Last post by: hnthomps on 01-03-2012 07:47 PM
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2011 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Paypal:
johnharbour@hotmail.com

Donations Total:
$55.00

Needed:
Brakes lines (all 4, SS or rubber, close to same price) RR was rotted in half so time to replace them. We will surface rotors at same time.
Brake pads front and rear (about 1/4 left all around)
Air Cleaner wingnut
Tube that goes from air cleaner down to exhaust.
Floor Mats
Painting Supplies
Radio

Donated:
Paint - PPG (Thanks to Tiger Point Auto Body)
Battery bolt down block and bolt - Mattman134 - Arrived
Battery - Johnyrottin - Arrived
Vent Covers - Silver 85 SC - Arrived
Center Console Cupholders - TXGOOD - Arrived
Advanced Auto Navarre - $100 dollars in parts (whichever we need)
Advanced Auto Gulf Breeze - Plugs and wires
ORiellys Navarre - $100 dollars in parts (alternator, master and slave clutch cyl, labor)
Fuel Pump - Johnyrottin - Arrived
Napa Gulf Breeze - Refused Participation
98 Garage - Brake work labor
Seat Recline Mech Covers (84 Grey) Both Sides - Indyellowgt - Arrived
Seat Recline Mech Handles Both Sides- Indyellowgt - Arrived
License plate light holders- Indyellowgt - Arrived
Radio (this one is toast)- Needed
Affordable Automotive - Engine work labor
Tailights - Paul Vargas - Arrived
Seat Covers - Mr Mikes - Arrived
Inner Dew Wipes - ALJR - Arrived
Clutch master Cyl - Hulki - Arived
Clutch Slave Cyl - Josef644 - Arrived
Dash end caps - Fieroguy123
Misc supply of torx screws for Interior bits. - Katatak - Arrived
Headlight switch - Hulki - Arrived - brand new Rock Auto!
Sunroof Deflector - njcwgrl - Arrived
Spare Tire Cover - Fiero Thomas - Arrived
Rims - Jamie (Gulf Coast Fieros) - Arrived
Trunk Cover - Russ88TTop - Arrived
Carbon Look Mirror Covers - Russ88TTop - Arrived
Dew Wipes - DIY_Stu - Arrived
1984 Headlight Motor Rebuild Kit - Rodney Dickman - Arrived
Painter - Mike at Hurlburt Airbase
4 Marker Lights - Indyellowgt and TLG - Arrived

I remember being 16 and the freedom that having a license and a car provided. That feeling of having the wondows down and driving through the twisty roads! Comon...you remember that...it wasn't that long ago. Well what if your parents lost their jobs? What would you have driven if they got 10 months behind on their house payments and had to sell the two retirement lots they had bought at the height of the property boom...but at a loss because they couldn't afford to pay any more. What would you have done?

The Joel Project covers that situation. Joel is a good kid stuck in a tough situation. What I talked about above is happening to him. But there is more. Dad is a pastor and has entered the Army to save the family situation. He is a good man and an honest man but the recession humbled him. After he joined he was immediately deployed for a year to Iraq. Joel is turning 16 without his dad. I was speaking with a gentleman that functions in the mixed martial arts world in some fashion. He tells me about all the cars he has and that he has an 84 Fiero that isn't running. We get to gabbing about it and I tell him that I would love to fix it up for this kid. Small world...he knows them! He gave me the car!!! Yes...free. But it needs loads of work. There are leaks into the interior, it didn't run, clutch doesn't work, and I am sure the list will build. The owner wants the wheels so we will have to get another set.

This thread will capture the work involved in the process of bringing her back and providing that freedom we all remember for a kid that really deserves it. It will be a bit of a haul but should be fun!

Earlier in the week my son and I had the car towed to my house....$45.00. This is what she looked like.

Well that is the starting canvas. My son and I and one of his friends went out and bathed her really well cleaning off as much grunge and tree sap as we could. Today the real work started. The Fiero Club arrived in force and we started with getting power. Woody took his battery out and put it into the project so we could see where we were at. She turned freely but would not start...no fuel pressure. Off to the parts store to get a battery and fuel pump. Woody took out the tank with Dee and Ben. I got back and the tank was ready to accept the new pump. $132.00

While Woody was doing that Ben brought by rims for Joel to use as the original owner wants these rims and tires. So, off with the old and on with the older.

After that was done Woody jumped right up and teid it all in...a little fuel into the TB and pressurize of the lines....it leaks all over the ground! So Dee heads to the store for some high pressure fuel line and a few new battery post bolts...$20.00. Once we drop the tank a second time and put new fuel lines in she starts right away!@!!!!!!!

Dee originzing the parts buy

Bruce and Ben trying to figure out what is up with the sunroof leaking.

All hands on deck now that she is runnning. Woody and Ben trying to figure out the pedal being on the floor and not coming back up. Could it be the slave cyl, the master cyl, or both? We will probably have to replace both but who says the clutch is good.

So all in all the day was fruitful. We got her running cleanly but still a long way to go. $200.00 start and $150.00 will have to go to the Fiero Store for clutch hyd parts. I love doing this kind of thing for those deserving in need. Joel is a good kid and the skinned knuckles are worth it. If anyone is interested in contributing anything to the build pm me. We can always use parts, effort, or contributions! $1, $5, $10...whatever...it all helps. In the end whatever is left over will go to Joel for his insurance.

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 06-06-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2011 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2011 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
For a minute there i thought you had a name for your project. This is awesome of you guys! I've done something similar years ago for a kid who lost his dad and was the only bread winner for his family and his car crapped out. It was a civic.

Hope this works out quickly for you. Just an FYI, i would really check the rubber lines on the clutch line. the front one tends to go bad quick.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
I figured on replacing the rubber lines anywhere we find them, I am between myself on tearing the car down and really rebuilding or fixing all teh little problems and giving him a car that runs that needs cosmetic stuff so that he learns to turn a wrench and we help and guide him.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post

johnyrottin

5464 posts
Member since Oct 2007
We will definitely need new dew wipes. Anyone want to donate a set?

Decided to add a parts needed list as a couple people have inquired. I will list them as they pop up and adend them when they are supplied.

Needed:
Inner Dew Wipes - ALJR
Outer Dew Wipes - Needed
Clutch master Cyl - Hulki
Clutch Slave Cyl - Josef644
Dash end caps - Fieroguy123
Misc supply of torx screws for Interior bits. - Katatak
Seat Covers...something for grey 84 striped seats with speakers
Headlight switch - Hulki
Sunroof Deflector - Needed
Floor Mats - Needed
AC Compressor - Needed

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 01-11-2011).]

fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
"Dash End Caps" Are you talking about the plastic panel that contains the side vents? Or the plastic caps that cover damged corners from the Fiero Store? I have both and would like to donate them. Pm me please!
fierogal123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogal123Send a Private Message to fierogal123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

We will definitely need new dew wipes. Anyone want to donate a set?

Decided to add a parts needed list as a couple people have inquired. I will list them as they pop up and adend them when they are supplied.

Needed:
Dew Wipes

You might want to pm DIY Stu. He might be willing to donate the dew wipes. Not sure. If not let me know. I need them, too. Might get a group discount. Maybe....
It's great what you're doing. Coming from a family of poor circumstance I can understand what this must mean to him. Pay it forward is a way of life. I will donate when I get my paycheck. Please pm me the paypal or address info. Thanks.
fierogal123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogal123Send a Private Message to fierogal123Direct Link to This Post

fierogal123

236 posts
Member since Jul 2010

Originally posted by fieroguy123:

"Dash End Caps" Are you talking about the plastic panel that contains the side vents? Or the plastic caps that cover damged corners from the Fiero Store? I have both and would like to donate them. Pm me please!

Awww, my hubby being sweet...hahaha. 2 of a kind I guess!
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
the dash end caps that protect or fix the cracked dash ends. Nice one!!!!! This will be the third Fiero I have saved this way but the first 84. Oh by the way, we had an engine fire and I forgot to mention it in the initial thread. This backs the "all Fieros catch fire" saying. of course, if you remove ALLL THE LEAVES instead of just most of them you can avoid it too! We had her running for about 10 minutes and it got hot enough on the manifold to ingnite the one or two hidden ones. i saw a small spark floating up in the air kind of like a campfire would produce combined with that distinct smell of leaf smoke...grab the hose...blamo, crisis averted!

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 01-09-2011).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-09-2011 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
I only wish that more were like you. Small threads like this, turn into big deals for those in need. Congrats to you and yours.

Tony
katatak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Johnny,

Do you have paypal for donations? I also have Interior pieces and parts - screws and tid bits you are more than welcome to. Plus I know of an 84 in the Mega Pull that is nearly complete - interior is rough but complete so any and all fastners can be had. I'd rather be there to help with the wrenching but will do what I can from here. Another worthy project from great Fiero folks. Thanks to you and your local Fiero folks for taking it on.

Pat

PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Pat. Like I come anywhere near what you guys in El Paso are capable of! I am a rookie compared to ya'll! I do have a paypal...I'll have to pm you that. I'll let you know if there is anything major we need. We have to sort out the dewwipes, clutch and then brakes...then we will deal with cosmetics. Running, driving then stopping! Wasn't that Maslow hierarchy of needs?
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I think I have an original 84 Indy style clutch slave. Maryjane told me to keep this as it was one of the better ones made. It was working when I removed it from the car around 14 months ago. PM me your address and I will ship it tomorrow. I'll even eat the shipping charges.

-Joe Crawford
Texas

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 01-09-2011).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Nice one josef and many thanks!!!! WOOT! Tony, thank you for that compliment. This is gonna be fun!

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
JR, I have a clutch master and a headlight switch for you guys. PM me your address and they will be on their way.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Man you always come though for us!!!!! Another point I just noticed...this car has every option!

Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulDirect Link to This Post
Wow! That's awesome you guys are doing something like this for him! I bet he will be excited when he sees the car!
fierogal123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogal123Send a Private Message to fierogal123Direct Link to This Post

Man you always come though for us!!!!! Another point I just noticed...this car has every option!

Hulki is awesome. There def needs to be more people in this world like him!
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Dew wipes still needed?

I have a set I pulled off my 88gt; the inside ones are still usable (or is it the outside ones)... I will pull them from storage and LYK...

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 01-10-2011).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Yes still need inner and outers...Will 88s fit on the 84s???
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Yes still need inner and outers...Will 88s fit on the 84s???

They were all the same. Unless they did something odd on the 84's?

I have a set of inner dew wipes in VERY good condition. The rubber is still soft and not cracked. I will donate them to the project... Only stipulation would be they are used on the project. If they do not get used or someone else doates a new full set, I would like them back; they are that good (I would also pay for the return shipping)...

PM me your info...

AL

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 01-10-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Clutch Slave is on the way.
-Joe Crawford
Texas
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Big Paul:

Wow! That's awesome you guys are doing something like this for him! I bet he will be excited when he sees the car!

Looks exactly like your avatar!
ninjabruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjabruceSend a Private Message to ninjabruceDirect Link to This Post
A BIG THANK YOU !!!! to everyone who is donating/supporting this build....John, thanks for heading up the build and lending your garage space, blood, sweat, and tears ....glad I could help out this past weekend..... Thanks to all the other guys who showed in force on Sat....wish I could have stayed longer to hear her run for the first time.......Let me know when the next working party gets together

------------------
1986 SE 383 SBC w/ 5spd
aka "Homewrecker"

[This message has been edited by ninjabruce (edited 01-10-2011).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
This is awesome! So many parts on the way already. I will change out the slave and master as soon as I get them. I'll call Bruce since he lives nearby to give a hand with the bleed. If we can get that dowe and working we can go out and test the brakes. They appear to be okay but the tests will tell. After the running, shifting, and driving is sorted we will sort the leak (we still can't find it's source).

Can anyone do stickers? Maybe something that says "The Joel Project" for the back window or something?

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 01-10-2011).]

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
You may want to keep updaing your parts "needed" list; this way, if I or someone else comes across the part, we know you can use it

BTW, you may want to mention you still need some outer dew wipes. I only have/sent the inners, sorry...

I scraped the outers I had because they were all cracked and dry-rotted. I only replaced my inners because I bought a full set and figured while I was in there doing the outers, why not do them all at the same time...
njcwgrl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for njcwgrlSend a Private Message to njcwgrlDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

I have a extra sunroof deflector. Please LMK where to ship...

Thanks for letting me help

------------------
Shannon
88 Fiero "Valhalla"

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-11-2011 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Yes, please put up a parts needed list. I am not much of a hoarder, but will hand out my left nut for the right cause.
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

but will hand out my left nut for the right cause.

Wow... I'm speachless...
Hope you don't come across more then two "right causes"

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 01-11-2011).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

You may want to keep updaing your parts "needed" list; this way, if I or someone else comes across the part, we know you can use it

Ditto.

Nice idea guys!
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
Can you PM me the PayPal address where donations are being sent? Thanks!
PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
I'l throw my paypal address up here tonight when I get home. I don't have a balance so it will all go to the car and leftovers will go to Joel. There has been a list of needed parts and the donaters near the top of the thread in the 5th post. I can move it to the top for easier locating. Cheers to all that are helping, parts wise, manual labor wise, and fundage wise!!!!! This won't be a big one but I am sure Joel will appreciate it!

Tony, since you have two....dice to hang from the rearview? (JK!)

katatak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Interior screws on the way. The AC comp I have will not work on an 84! Any other Duke parts - I have a TB that has new sensors and was working perfectly when removed. You guys are welcome to any Duke parts I have.

Pat

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-11-2011 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Yes, please give us your Paypal. Even in a PM. I cannot help much, but...
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
Still waiting for the Paypal link. While I am all for surprises, I wonder if the kid would have a greater appreciation for the car if he were to see what it took and what went into it. Just a thought.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Yes, please give us your Paypal. Even in a PM. I cannot help much, but...

me too... it'll have to wait till friday to send but... i'm game!
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

Still waiting for the Paypal link. While I am all for surprises, I wonder if the kid would have a greater appreciation for the car if he were to see what it took and what went into it. Just a thought.

I was kind of thinking the same thing...

LOL... duno if a Fiero would even be a good first car; at least to someone you like
Maybe a nice Honda Camery would be better, more relaible...
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

I was kind of thinking the same thing...

LOL... duno if a Fiero would even be a good first car; at least to someone you like
Maybe a nice Honda Camery would be better, more relaible...

There are two distinct advantages to a Fiero.

1.....Makes you a mechanic

2....Try and find a safer car

Add to that the Fiero community he will most certainly be a part of and it's a no brainer.

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
I double checked my account balance to make sure we have a zero start point. My paypal is johnharbour@hotmail.com. I want to let everyone know I really appreciate the involvement with the project. I plan on not touching the paypal account for car stuff. If it is not donated then I will pay for it out of pocket. The paypal account will fully go to Joel (going to try to get the local bank to make one of those giant checks with a PFF logo...if it is okay with Cliff of course) to go towards his insurance.

Also, the point about doing it all before we give it to him is something I am wrestling with now. I think it may shortchange him to give it to him 100% done. Some of the value in a Fiero or any old car is to teach you not to be scared to turn a wrench in anger in a car. That kind of life experience can't be taught in a book. I think I would like to make it run, shift, and stop then bring him in to do the smaller stuff. Then when things go wrong guide him through the processes to fix it instead of doing it for him. His dad will be back in 6 or 7 months...until them call me surogate! leyt me know what you guys think of that idea. Cheers!

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
You should get it to the running, driving point then invite him over and show him this thread.... then show him the car. Almost will make it a dream before reality.

Edit: and keep posting progress pics!

[This message has been edited by Finally_Mine_86_GT (edited 01-11-2011).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock