Painting my 87 GT Kandy Brandywine by mbautodesign
Started on: 09-23-2010 07:08 PM
Replies: 29
Last post by: mbautodesign on 02-02-2011 06:29 PM
mbautodesign

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mbautodesignSend a Private Message to mbautodesignDirect Link to This Post
Well im almost done painting my 1987 Fiero GT 5speed so i thought id share the process!
Here she is when i bought her early this year for $850, non running, needed a IAC valve!

the front half had been poorly re-painted before, the clearcoat was gone off the roof and hood, the gelcoat was cracking in some spots, etc
was still a blast to drive!
Im a professional painter by profession so i thought it needed a modern flashy paint job
So i decided on Kandy Brandywine over a dark gold, mmmmm sexy!

so first i fixed the peeling gel coat on the roof

removed the wing and filled in the holes

got it stripped down and sanded

feathered out the peeling clearcoat and some did some minor body work and primed it all

got the jambs painted!

sealer on the outside!

3 coats of gold laid down!

Final Product!
It looks so nice in person in the sun, the pics are on a iphone so its hard to see how nice it really is!

I love how this project is looking!
i still have to strip the bumpers and prime/paint those and paint the ground effects
I cant wait to get it all back together and some pics taken with a nice camera!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. Keep up the good work

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1994 BMW 530 V8 2005 Cobalt with a twist

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mbautodesign:
removed the wing and filled in the holes

Paint looks great!
IIKool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolDirect Link to This Post
Here is another candy brandywine

[This message has been edited by IIKool (edited 09-25-2010).]

ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post
What'd you use to repair the spots around the sunroof? I have the same dilemma and am not looking forward to find a solution
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Looks great from here. True candy is very hard to do to look right. Brandywine is about my fav color. I repainted my new Sebring a month or two ago and thought long and hard about either Brandywine or Corvette Sunburst Orange (is a mild transparent candy color). Since its a daily driver I decided against the Brandy....too hard to keep touched up.

You didnt paint everything at once ? Thats taking a bit of a chance on a match dont you think ? Kandy is very critical as to coats, mix, humidity, etc.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 09-24-2010).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
I just saw this one posted in this thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/082855.html

I wonder if this is the same technique that you did, the gold, and then the red on top.

I want to do this so bad with my car, but in a dark blue instead of the red.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Just remember the base color affects the final color. You can start with white, silver or gold normally. I did a custom for a guy and the base was black with the brandywine over it.
mbautodesign

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mbautodesignSend a Private Message to mbautodesignDirect Link to This Post
to fix the roof i just grinded it down and fixed it with body filler and glaze like anything else...

as for not painting everything at once, i do this for a living, itll be fine
i would NOT suggest this to a DIY person
one of the most complicated jobs you can spray
i searched all over for other fieros this color and couldnt find anything, thanks for the other examples!
The really shiny one is either just a awesome camera or photoshop touchup
As for the candy apple brandywine pic, candy apple and brandywine are two different colors...both very nice
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post

to fix the roof i just grinded it down and fixed it with body filler and glaze like anything else...

as for not painting everything at once, i do this for a living, itll be fine
i would NOT suggest this to a DIY person
one of the most complicated jobs you can spray
i searched all over for other fieros this color and couldnt find anything, thanks for the other examples!
The really shiny one is either just a awesome camera or photoshop touchup
As for the candy apple brandywine pic, candy apple and brandywine are two different colors...both very nice

What kind of filler? I've heard so many different opinions on what kind is ok or not ok to use with our "plastic"
fierochic1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierochic1Click Here to visit fierochic1's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierochic1Direct Link to This Post
My absolute favorite paint color in the world I believe. We painted my Formula with the same color, except we used the silver base. Thankfully my husband enjoys painting. He hates mechanic work, but at least my cars are pretty!
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ConvictedRedneck:

What kind of filler? I've heard so many different opinions on what kind is ok or not ok to use with our "plastic"

The roof, hood, and decklid are SMC so you can use filler like this:

Available here....just scroll down:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/au...nforced-fillers.aspx
IIKool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Just remember the base color affects the final color. You can start with white, silver or gold normally. I did a custom for a guy and the base was black with the brandywine over it.

How did the color come out with brandywine over a black base? I think there was a thred a month or so with a cherry color over a black base look really good almost like flip flop paint
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
It looks 'almost' like black, but lights and sunlite make the highlightes maroon. It does look a bit like a flip flop. I saw some guys at a show looking at it and trying to figure it out. I think their concensous, was the redish purple hue was coming from a car beside it reflecting in the black, lol. I told them how it was done, then took them around to the other side where a different color car was beside it.
mbautodesign

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mbautodesignSend a Private Message to mbautodesignDirect Link to This Post
yeah i used evercoat products, good stuff, its what we use at work
did some sidework this weekend so i can afford to do more work on the fiero
i decided im gonna repaint the hood cause i missed some low spots on it and while im doing that im painting the fiero logo on the hood in gold!
SKIDMARK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SKIDMARKSend a Private Message to SKIDMARKDirect Link to This Post
Nice! Great color selection.
mbautodesign

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mbautodesignSend a Private Message to mbautodesignDirect Link to This Post
FINALLY GOT IT ALL PAINTED!
geez, thats alot of stuff to paint.

It just needs the clips for the drivers door molding and new quarter glass
then its onto suspension and wheels and tires!

Still dont have good pics with a real camera, these are all from my iphone

skwrks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skwrksSend a Private Message to skwrksDirect Link to This Post
It looks very good. I painted a 37 Buick I built in the 80's black cherry candy. I am planning on painting my 88, Screaming Yellow, a solid color because I plan to drive it a lot. But I am torn both ways about doing the side moldings body color or black.

albert
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
A friend painted his 74 corvette Kandy Brandywine with a gold base. It was the best looking paint job I ever saw. Then some ass hat dinged his door. I thought Clays head was going to explode when he saw it.
elitopr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for elitoprClick Here to visit elitopr's HomePageSend a Private Message to elitoprDirect Link to This Post
awsome GT great job
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

A friend painted his 74 corvette Kandy Brandywine with a gold base. It was the best looking paint job I ever saw. Then some ass hat dinged his door. I thought Clays head was going to explode when he saw it.

Ya, the downside of Kandy is you cant touch up scratches and chips. You have to do the whole panel and hopefully remember exactly how many coats of everything you used so it will be close to the same color.

PFF
System Bot
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post
I love this color as well but I cringe when you guys paint the rounded trim the same color because the first door ding - wouldn't the paint chip off?
I am about 50/50 when it comes to painting the mirrors. It either looks good or bad depending upon the paint.

Very nice reflection.
mbautodesign

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mbautodesignSend a Private Message to mbautodesignDirect Link to This Post
Well I only drive it on weekends and I park no where close to anything
I love the look of the painted mirrors and trim
it's more modern looking
I still have to wetsand and buff the car.
It will look so much better after that!
I wanna repaint the hood cause I missed some imperfections. I am thinking of putting a medium sized gold fiero Pegasus on the hood...
Needs lowering and suspension bad!

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
I love these cars!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
To keep body colored trim from chipping for a door ding. I run a strip of clear heavy vinyl along the trim. I have a silver Sebring with wide body color side molding and painted it and the molding Corvette Orange and taped it. You cant even tell its there and it wont chip or scratch. Same stuff I use along the rear edge of doors and front edge of hood available at auto paint supply stores for about $20 @ roll. Its tough stuff.
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
Great job! looks awsome....but do you have a profesional paint booth in your garage??
Man am i jealous!
mbautodesign

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mbautodesignSend a Private Message to mbautodesignDirect Link to This Post
No I painted it at work
I'm a proessional automotive painter.
It's the only way I would ever paint it.
It's a perk of the job hehe
mbautodesign

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mbautodesignSend a Private Message to mbautodesignDirect Link to This Post
thought id update my thread, its been a while!
picked up some wheels cheap, tires are way to small
going to pick up some 225-45r17 BFG KDW2 soon
and needs to be lowered! alot!

Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Man that looks great. Want to paint mine?
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post

thought id update my thread, its been a while!
picked up some wheels cheap, tires are way to small
going to pick up some 225-45r17 BFG KDW2 soon
and needs to be lowered! alot!

What size are your wheels? I have 17 X 7's on my car, and I can run a 235/45R17 on the rear with the stock suspension. Plus, it's pretty close to the diameter of the original 15" tires. I run a 215/45R17 on the front, which is almost exactly the same size as the original 15's. Check out the tire size calculator at http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html It will give you the comparison between the original tires, and any replacement sizes you might be interested in.

mbautodesign

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mbautodesignSend a Private Message to mbautodesignDirect Link to This Post
they are 17x7
im also looking at running a smaller tire than the rear up front just like stock
ill look into the 235's, thanks!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock