Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Help me decide which style hood vent please (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Help me decide which style hood vent please by doublec4
Started on: 08-08-2010 08:32 PM
Replies: 55
Last post by: doublec4 on 05-02-2011 06:49 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2010 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I just scored myself a spare hood. I'm looking to try my hand at some body work.

I did two quick photoshops of two different styles I'm considering. They're not "exact" I know the placement of the scoops probably need some moving around.

What do you guys think?

Other suggestions are welcome too. I want something to match the style of the rest of my car. Thanks!

------------------

Check out my build!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Westy

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2010 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WestySend a Private Message to WestyDirect Link to This Post
How deep are you thinking? Going the far up your going to run into your radiator, do you have a way around that?
DrRodey

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2010 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrRodeyClick Here to visit DrRodey's HomePageSend a Private Message to DrRodeyDirect Link to This Post
First one looks really cool! It's unique.. the second is very similar to what everyone else has.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2010 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I want them reasonably deep... deeper than the warber hood scoops Archie sells. The photoshops were just quick, I know I'll have to move the placement of the scoops reward more to clear the rad.

Just trying to figure out a general "style" of what to go with.
Westy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2010 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WestySend a Private Message to WestyDirect Link to This Post
Alright, wasn't sure how much modding you wanted to do. I do like either one, have you considered cutting into the top of the bumper?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2010 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Westy:

Alright, wasn't sure how much modding you wanted to do. I do like either one, have you considered cutting into the top of the bumper?

Haven't considered that.. I'd rather not chop up my bumper at this point... the only reason I'm doing this is because I have a spare hood now lol.
Westy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2010 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WestySend a Private Message to WestyDirect Link to This Post
Fair enough, it was just something I've seen, but not very often, looked decent as well. I guess it's all in how "original" you want to look.
Westy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2010 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WestySend a Private Message to WestyDirect Link to This Post

Westy

216 posts
Member since Apr 2010
On a different note, you could go with some flush headlights while you're focusing on the hood area..
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2010 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Westy:

On a different note, you could go with some flush headlights while you're focusing on the hood area..

I built some slim HID pop ups last year... but I have some custom non pop up ideas that are in the works for next season
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2010 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
I like the second one. The first one, although a "one of a kind", looks too "busy" for me.
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2010 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
I like the Cobra hood vents, but with the center 'filled in' to make it one. Original pic is courtesy of Soulcrusher, photoshop of the extractor mod is by me.

------------------

'10 Camaro LT/RS, 312hp V6 6-speed
'88 Fiero GT - coming soon! - Project MIDTRBO

The rest of my cars are for sale
There's no replacement for turbo placement

PFF
System Bot
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2010 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Not a hood vent but I just put these on the XTC. These are from a TBird Turbo Coupe. Not sure thay are big enough or would even look good for hood vent but they were perfect for morphing the XTC deck lid into a cold air /air cleaner scoop.

aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:

This I like!
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Get the second style you put up. The 1st one looks kinda ricey.
Carcenomy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
Second style, but maybe not so far up the hood. Perhaps some scoops that mimic the design of your side scoops?

------------------

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Sorry both wont work flip your hood and have a look why. Needs to be further back for either idea.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
Dang, there's a radiator in the way!

------------------

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I know those exact designs won't work because of the radiator.. they're just a general idea as I previously stated lol. I know I'll have to move some things around a bit.

Seems like the second one everybody likes more.. hmm

------------------

Check out my build!

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
I like #2 but it will have to be moved back to there the upper scoop is on the first picture. You will need to go back at least 12 inches approx.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by litespd: I like the second one. The first one, although a "one of a kind", looks too "busy" for me.

Ditto
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

The first one reminds me of the first hoodvent I did:

I think Soulcrusher has a nice modern look that would match your Fiero's lines and whaletale better

I would keep the middle rib I guess...good luck !
PFF
System Bot
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
oh btw, here is my second one :

This fits without cutting the front trunk, I like to be able to store the sunroof !
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Hmm thanks guys. I always have loved soulcrusher's hood (the mustang extractors). I may try those ones.

More ideas can't hurt! Keep them coming Thanks again !
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

More ideas can't hurt! Keep them coming Thanks again !

You could always try what I'm going to attempt (just the center extractor, not the fender vents), though it'll take some serious modification.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 08-10-2010).]

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

I think Soulcrusher has a nice modern look that would match your Fiero's lines and whaletale better

I would keep the middle rib I guess...good luck !

Wow, I really like this one! I think if I had a choice, I would like the openings about 2/3rds the size they are in that pic; just a bit smaller...
Any info or links about this setup?
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

Wow, I really like this one! I think if I had a choice, I would like the openings about 2/3rds the size they are in that pic; just a bit smaller...
Any info or links about this setup?

Chis i would go with this !! if you have someone make it for you i will take one too... I think best hood out there !!
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Here is mine... It is about as far forward as you can go while clearing the radiator (my radiator is further forward) and clearing the stock over flow tank.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 08-10-2010).]

kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgDirect Link to This Post
HANDS DOWN...... Am I too late to vote ?

HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post
Why not a scoop? Like skitime
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Lots more good ideas

ALLTRBO, I do like the aggressive scoop on that hood, but I'm not sure I want to chop up my front compartment wall. I have my battery located up there, plus I actually store my sunroof glass in the front suprisingly often. I'd like to see how yours turns out though!

I really like Soulcrusher's hood... I'll probably go for that look. ALJR, the scoops are from a Mustang, I believe a Cobra. They're not very common so I'm going to try and make my own rather than find them. I'll see if I can find the link to his thread about the hood.

Duane, I'm going to be doing the hood myself... My first time doing body work, so I don't know if I'd want to make another lol.

Fieroguru, your hood looks good, the scoop is nice and deep. If I were to do one big opening, I'd probably make it about that size.

kyunderdawg, you're not too late... I really liked that hood at first, but I think I may go for a "simpler" look. I'll probably start the hood today or tomorrow and post up some pictures

Haus, I'm not really a big fan of the cowl hoods on fieros. I like the low hoodline our cars have. When you put a cowl on it and raise it up, looks like the hood grew tumor. Just my opinion though.

Thanks everyone! Feel free to keep the ideas coming. I havent started the cutting yet

------------------

Check out my build!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 08-11-2010).]

GBglide

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GBglideClick Here to visit GBglide's HomePageSend a Private Message to GBglideDirect Link to This Post
The second one, like Soulcrusher's.
PFF
System Bot
JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMDirect Link to This Post
I think a deep single vent would look pretty well with the way your car presents itself. Also if I may add, When my father was piecing together our Suburban Gorilla when our radiator wasn't doing quite the job we needed it to, we built a cowling around it to help airflow.

http://www.suburbangorilla.com/GrillCowling.html

Please forgive my father he designed the website and most everything is super-sized, just mess around with the (ctrl + -) to see the pictures better. Anyways I think it would be interesting to see someone make a hood vent fully functional by directing the airflow through the radiator and vent completely.

------------------
The H1 my father, brother and I built.
www.suburbangorilla.com

Facebook

HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post
Don't mean to hijack....

This is a question for me, but I decided to put it in this thread because ur also tryin l choose a hood scoop so u can consider what I'm saying too..

Could u take a snout looking hood scoop (kinda like grand ams or firebirds) and keep the front holes closed and let the back of it be open to work as an extractor? I don't think the front snout part would cause too much lift and it wouldn't let in more air pressure cuz it would be closed.. And it would have a nice Pontiac look to it.

Here is an example of what I mean

kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgDirect Link to This Post

kyunderdawg, you're not too late... I really liked that hood at first, but I think I may go for a "simpler" look. I'll probably start the hood today or tomorrow and post up some pictures

Well, good then. I might use this for my Z24 if that's ok.

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post

Mine

This is the stuff I used .. it's kevlar based.... just add hardener ... its like a paste with fibers made for SMC... works great !!

------------------

http://www.blackwidowfiero.com

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Where did you buy that stuff Danyel?
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post
I have been kicking around some vent ideas over on my thread.

Originally posted by Bridgetown:

Photoshopped this.

Rather then being recessed like the Aston, It is more along the lines of the TRD Supra.

I like that it is flush. I would add a structure underneath to direct air from the rad out the vent.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I started marking off the openings...

I also bought some dremel cutting disks... hopefully those work!

------------------

Check out my build!

SOV3RN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOV3RNSend a Private Message to SOV3RNDirect Link to This Post
SOV3RN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOV3RNSend a Private Message to SOV3RNDirect Link to This Post

SOV3RN

223 posts
Member since Jul 2010

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:

You could always try what I'm going to attempt (just the center extractor, not the fender vents), though it'll take some serious modification.

Those fender vents are awesome. If someone could wip that up on photoshop and make them, id buy a set. I'm a graphic designer but I don't have any of my programs at home, they're all upstate at school.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock