Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Help me decide which style hood vent please (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Help me decide which style hood vent please by doublec4
Started on: 08-08-2010 08:32 PM
Replies: 55
Last post by: doublec4 on 05-02-2011 06:49 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Started cutting...

I've noticed that since I'm making the extractor area so wide and long, I'm going to have to cut up the structure underneath a bit too. This should be fun!

------------------

Check out my build!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

IP: Logged
Fie Ro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
if you need to cut the structure close to the headlight covers be sure to reinforce that area, the headlight springs will put tension on the hood especially when open.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

if you need to cut the structure close to the headlight covers be sure to reinforce that area, the headlight springs will put tension on the hood especially when open.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't think of that. I'll have to come up with something for that too unless I go to non pop ups next season..
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2010 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Got the openings all cut today:

I think its going to look good when its done I'm excited! Just to figure out where to cut the bottom structure now!

------------------

Check out my build!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 08-14-2010).]

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2010 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
I agree. Your hood is REALLY going to look good. I will be doing a hood soon and may use some of your ideas. I really like them.
Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2010 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post
I like it. kinda a bigger version of the one I have been working on for over a year............ Well, it IS getting closer to being ready. LOL

Mine is at:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/073707.html

Keep up the good work.

Max
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2010 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Thanks guys,

Max The Chainsaw, you're right, our hood vents are almost identical, yours looks great.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2010 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Got the bottom cut up today, now you can see the shape of the scoop better

I had to take quite a bit off the bottom... I'm going to need to throw in some fiberglass support.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2010 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Looks pretty good, so far.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2010 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Thanks... this will be my first attempt at body work. I know you've had your fair share of experience... if you have any tips, please feel free!
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2010 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
Its lookin really good so far .. I would suggest the product I use on my extractor (EVERCOAT) ... all you do is add hardener mix and apply its like a thick paste .. its made with Kevlar strands and bonds to SMC perfectly ..... no more fiberglass cutting and laying ... this Evercoat product worked great for me ... onced dried I sanded it down with 180 grit down to 600 grit ... stuff is GREAT and easy to work with ... if you go on my build thread Project Black Widow you will see how simple it was to do ... you can buy this at any Best Buy store or body shop supplier for around $27 a bag .. it took 2 bags to do my extractor.... keep us posted ... something tells me it will look really awsome !!! take care
Danyel

------------------

http://www.blackwidowfiero.com

PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2010 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
OK, here are a few tips:

First of all, the SMC in the hood has a very thin "skin" on it, that has some of the original mold release compound in it. In order for your fiberglass to reliably "stick" to the SMC, you need to sand off that skin. That layer is a light gray color, whereas the SMC underneath is white. So when you get down the white chalky stuff, you're good to go.

The structural integrity of the hood shouldn't be much of an issue. But just to be safe, you can cover the entire underside of the scoops, including a little of the surrounding area, with a layer or two of glass mat. This will not only improve structural integrity, but help hold everything together. If you want to sand it down to smooth it out, then you should use at least 2 layers of glass mat.

Also keep in mind that when you mix the resin and hardener, you're on a time limit. It would be wise to cut out all your glass mat / cloth pieces beforehand, and test-fit them. That way, you won't need to stop (and waste valuable time) to fiddle with the fiberglass. Also, try not to get too optimistic when deciding how much resin to mix up. If you mix up a small batch, you can always mix up more. You can actually mix up several batches using the same cup and brush, if you empty out the cup (and start mixing the next batch) before the resin starts to harden.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Thanks guys

I might be able to get out today and look for some supplies.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Blacktree posted some good info.
you can roughen and remove surfaces that will be fiberglassed some more, with a powerfile or disc grinder, cutting a bit more into the material allowes a thicker layer of buildup that will hold better even after sanding. Be generous with the resin, make sure the cloth gets soaked well and get airbubbles out..that will save filling and sanding time later.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
How did this turn out. I have been doing research on scoop ideas, and I want to see how this ended up?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Haven't made any progress since. I was at school all winter. Hopefully I can start it back up within the next month. I really want to get this finished.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock