Started on: 06-24-2009 08:15 AM
Replies: 75
Last post by: pavo_roddy on 12-15-2011 05:54 PM
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post
I have had several people inquire about the fender and nose badges that I designed and cut for Whodeanie's build

Dean's build

And I am gauging interest in producing them for sale. I will make prototypes in mild steel so that you can have them chromed or I can do stainless that you can polish. With my lecture schedule I will likely not have the facility to do the finish work but cut them on a waterjet.

There are three versions I have narrowed to but I can still do custom designs. I do not have an idea of price yet as I need to figure material and cut time but I can have a better idea next week. P.M. me if you are interested

Dean style

Traditional Wings

Hybrid Wings

These images are not public domain and are copyrighted by me. All you gotta do is ask.

Will
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
Will, did you send me the ones you cut for me or did you recut them?
D.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I like the hybrid wings on the right. The shield needs a little re-shaping I think.

The Pegasus in stainless would be a goody.

Arn
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
Better. Try centering wings more on the back & make them fuller. Also, a thinner waist & more muscle on the hind legs/butt. See how that looks.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 06-24-2009).]

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whodeanie:

Will, did you send me the ones you cut for me or did you recut them?
D.

Dean,

Yours should arrive today I will PM you the FedEx tracking number. I will still probably re-cut them though in mild steel. The cuts are really tight so I might loosen them up a bit.

W
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post

infinitewill

2327 posts
Member since Mar 2009

Originally posted by Amida:

Better. Try centering wings more on the back & make them fuller. Also, a thinner waist & more muscle on the hind legs/butt. See how that looks.

I agree Rob, I had to throw these together this morning. I used an actual picture of a horse as my guide but I sure don't have to copy reality I will have a tweeked version up later today. I also think the hybrid looks a little small in the shield version.

W

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 06-24-2009).]

Blueiii

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueiiiSend a Private Message to BlueiiiDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested in seeing a picture of a finished product, especially as a front bumper design. I'm sure powdercoating, since its a smaller piece, would be relatively easy?
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
i like the bottom right for a grill / tail light panel emblem. i have amida's (rob) 355 style front grill. rob i like your sugestion for the adjustments.
i can't wait to see these. count me in for 2.
al
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blueiii:

I'd be interested in seeing a picture of a finished product, especially as a front bumper design. I'm sure powdercoating, since its a smaller piece, would be relatively easy?

look at my build therad Will posted some pic's of mine and once I get them I will post them here as well.
D.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I bought one of these a while ago meaning to put it on the car, but, it is a pin so I mounted it on my Barmah hat instead. It is a cast alloy unit with excellent detail. Just food for creative thought

http://cgi.ebay.ca/JJ-Bronz...3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Arn
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I bought one of these a while ago meaning to put it on the car, but, it is a pin so I mounted it on my Barmah hat instead. It is a cast alloy unit with excellent detail. Just food for creative thought

h ttp://cgi.ebay.ca/JJ-Bronz...3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Arn

I have seen that before and while I admire the artist that made it, it is a little for "artsy" for my taste. I wanted something a little sleeker, more modern feeling. I also am not in a position to do castings although it isn't an impossibility in the future.

This is a minor tweak. Everyone has an opinion of what they want but in the end it is really what I want

PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Both looking good. The font still doesn't quiet look like Hemi426 though. Seems to be a little wider in proportion

Arn
CaliforniaSpeeder9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaliforniaSpeeder9Click Here to visit CaliforniaSpeeder9's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaliforniaSpeeder9Direct Link to This Post
The two at the top are excellent! "Dean Style"

[This message has been edited by CaliforniaSpeeder9 (edited 06-24-2009).]

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
Dean Style! LMAO!
Will I just got them and they look great. I think they are plenty thick enough.
Nice Job!

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

Both looking good. The font still doesn't quiet look like Hemi426 though. Seems to be a little wider in proportion

Arn

Hemi426 isn't actually the correct font but we use it because it is the closest to the hand drawn font that the original artist used. If you look at the entire typeface there are some major differences in the glyphs (the individual characters). I scaled the font horizontally to fill out the area.
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post

infinitewill

2327 posts
Member since Mar 2009

Originally posted by whodeanie:

Dean Style! LMAO!
Will I just got them and they look great. I think they are plenty thick enough.
Nice Job!

Glad they worked. you may want to go into the cut-outs with a die file and clean them up but only an anal retentive, obsessed, detail freak (like me) would likely even notice. Just couldn't get in that close with the water jet.
Blueiii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueiiiSend a Private Message to BlueiiiDirect Link to This Post
I LOVE THOSE.

Do these sit flush with the fenders?

Edit: How big are these? This might make for an awesome fender mounted turn signal if modified correctly. . .

[This message has been edited by Blueiii (edited 06-24-2009).]

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

I LOVE THOSE.

Do these sit flush with the fenders?

Edit: How big are these? This might make for an awesome fender mounted turn signal if modified correctly. . .

they will be flush with the fenders once I am done with them. they are almost 4" tall by 2-3/4" wide
it would be kind of cool to make them in to fender lights but I already have Ferrair button lights for my car.
D.

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post
Alright boys and girls, here's the scoop. I will have prototype nose badges next week of the following:

"Dean" style nose badge with oval backer plate in stainless and mild steel

Revised Hybrid Wings nose badge in stainless and mild steel

I do not have a price yet and won't until I see what the fabrication costs will be. The stainless needs only minor polish and can be hard nickel plated. Bright chrome would need finer polish and then copper/nickle/chrome plate. I may cut some in thicker, soft brass to be shaped and chrome plated as well.

I will post pictures when I have them in hand.

W

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 06-24-2009).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2009 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Great job W
Joe
Blueiii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2009 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueiiiSend a Private Message to BlueiiiDirect Link to This Post
I might have to experiement with these for the side marker lights I mentioned. . .

How big are these? I might get a set of both and see what I can come up with, though this might need to be a winter project once I make more progress on the car itself.
PFF
System Bot
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2009 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post

I might have to experiement with these for the side marker lights I mentioned. . .

How big are these? I might get a set of both and see what I can come up with, though this might need to be a winter project once I make more progress on the car itself.

I can cut them about any size you want up to 48" x 96" and up to 7" thick (that would be for really HUGE markers LOL).

Seriously though, The badges I cut for Dean are just under 4" tall. If I go smaller, the detail gets too small the cut with a water jet and I will need to "fatten" up the cut lines. Not a big deal but not quite as fine of detail. I am looking at a lazer cutting system as well but that will be some time, even if I do take the plunge.

I did some research on polyester resins yesterday. I can get several colors amd fill the cut areas with resin and mill the badges smooth. If I could get a translucent resin you could make a killer looking backlit side marker. Hmm, this is giving me ideas......

Will
Blueiii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2009 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueiiiSend a Private Message to BlueiiiDirect Link to This Post
I thought it might! With the translucent filler it wouldn't be difficult to fab up a fiberglass bracket. I might have to check out how much room is available underneath the fender to do this. . .
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2009 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
will,
check out www.tapplastics.com.

they sell everything including tint (dyes) and tintable (sp) resins along with mould making material and all sorts of plastics ect.
i have been doing business with them for a couple years. good service and quick shipping.

[This message has been edited by ace5514 (edited 06-26-2009).]

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2009 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ace5514:

will,
check out www.tapplastics.com.

they sell everything including tint (dyes) and tintable (sp) resins along with mould making material and all sorts of plastics ect.
i have been doing business with them for a couple years. good service and quick shipping.

Ace,

Thanks for the tip. I will check them out next week.

Will
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2009 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post

I might have to check out how much room is available underneath the fender to do this. . .

There is plenty of room. I am VERY interested in this idea as well. I think it would be a great way for those of us that eliminate the trim to get a side marker light.

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2009 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post
Just a quick update for you guys and gals. I should have the prototype "Hybrid" nose badge cut Friday and will have the shaped and plated version (think 3D) sometime next week.

Will
Blueiii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2009 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueiiiSend a Private Message to BlueiiiDirect Link to This Post
Any further thoughts on a fender badge?

I'm now becoming increasingly interested in a "smooth" style body with no molding, and a fender marker light down the road.
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2009 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post
My flight home last night was canceled so didn't get home until a few minutes ago. I won't be doing any waterjet work until next Tuesday. I should be able to cut a few samples then, first up is the completion of the nose badge prototype.

Will
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post
The prototype Hybrid nose badge was cut today. I will take some pictures and start the shaping tomorrow. I know a few of you are waiting on a few other prototypes, hopefully they will go out this week as well.

Will

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 07-14-2009).]

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
Will you do something with a V8 logo ??
PFF
System Bot
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

Will you do something with a V8 logo ??

PM me what you have in mind and we can see
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
Well maybe something like this

DougC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DougCSend a Private Message to DougCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

Well maybe something like this

Hell you could even tweak that for a V6... *ponders* hmm....
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
Do you mean like this ...

Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post

Danyel

6087 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Heres something else

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post
The ideas you have come up are certainly beautiful but there is no waterjet that I know of that can hold that kind of detail, especially on any kind of thick material. A laser cutting system might and I say "might" be able to cut that small of a radius but I do not have access to one.

The blanks I cut for my nose badges have the same issue. At 3" overall height the radius cuts in the wings are less than .03" and the waterstream is simply too wide to cut that narrow on an inside curve. I could change out the nozzle but the cost would go through the roof every time I had to swap it out., it's just not worth it. Further, nobody is going to be looking at a fender badge from a distance of 4" and others would likely not see the detail even if it was there.

I had to completely "rethink" the way I design for fabrication as opposed to the print realm, where I normally work.

Understand these are just the raw blanks, they still need a lot of work, which brings up another issue; the cost of fabrication. A high quality piece is going to cost more due to more hand work, these are not cast 1000 at a time, they are hand made pieces of art. You have to decide what level of detail you truly need/want.

Will
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post

http://phantaziagrafx.chez.com/V8_2.png

ooooh. thats nice
86GTFastback

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GTFastbackSend a Private Message to 86GTFastbackDirect Link to This Post
How much would a badge like those cost?

I might be interested in a set of: one nose and two side emblems in the near future, possibly "STE", or "DOHC" on it?

------------------
If you're not scared, you're obviously not going fast enough.
I <3 my clutch.

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GTFastback:

How much would a badge like those cost?

I might be interested in a set of: one nose and two side emblems in the near future, possibly "STE", or "DOHC" on it?

Like which one? There are 6 different logos on here.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock