Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Why can't the battery be lower (battery relocation to the front)?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Why can't the battery be lower (battery relocation to the front)? by Fiero Finale
Started on: 12-28-2010 08:37 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: ALLTRBO on 01-01-2011 07:11 PM
Fiero Finale

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleDirect Link to This Post
I was looking at doing a battery relocation to the front. Why is it that the battery seems to be mounted up "high "still? Most kits look like this picture:

I never torn into a Fiero in that area, but could one cut away an area to fit a battery at the very bottom, and towards the firewall for a lower center of gravity?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
It actually is almost sitting on the steering rack there, cant go any lower. You can put it under the passenger side headlight though.
Fiero Finale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

It actually is almost sitting on the steering rack there, cant go any lower. You can put it under the passenger side headlight though.

I figured there was something that it would end up hitting if you cut out any more of the tub, but didn't know (hence the thread).
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I put mine as low as it would possibly go. I can take a picture of the underside tomorrow to show you what kind of room you'd be working with if you'd like.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
My original one was mounted on the front crossmember up against the firewall, but I had to take the spare tire plastic tub out. Phase 2 was to put it under the passenger headlight... which is now my preferred location.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 12-28-2010).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post
In addition to the battery box being practically on top of the steering damper,
you also have the passenger side brake line that runs right under it as well.

It can be done but for all the extra work/engineering you'll need to do to mount it lower,
I think difference will be barely noticeable.

Kit
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

My original one was mounted on the front crossmember up against the firewall, but I had to take the spare tire plastic tub out. Phase 2 was to put it under the passenger headlight... which is now my preferred location.

How much work does that take to change/ access the battery?

Brad
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Finale:

Why is it that the battery seems to be mounted up "high "still?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the battery is usually located in that particular spot (within the tub) is so that the spare tire can still be stored in its factory location over top of the battery. I've seen the battery located lower and closer to the "firewall", but I don't believe the spare tire can then be stored in the tub any longer.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-29-2010).]

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

How much work does that take to change/ access the battery?

Brad

I have a master cut off mounted behind the DS head light and can (have) used this area to jump start the car. I can also flip the switch for any work being done. In the event I have to pull the battery (only reason would be to replace it), just need to take the passenger head light out first (2 nuts - bottoms are slotted) and then disconnect the battery.

I have found that with with the battery in that location and the master cut off installed, I rarely touch the thing any more... which was the whole point.
Fiero Finale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the battery is usually located in that particular spot (within the tub) is so that the spare tire can still be stored in its factory location over top of the battery. I've seen the battery located lower and closer to the "firewall", but I don't believe the spare tire can then be stored in the tub any longer.

Having the spare is not a concern for me anymore so if I can mount it lower I'm going for it.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
If you aren't carrying a spare then you could just simply build a shelf for it to sit on at the bottom of the tub. You wouldn't really even need to cut the tub like you do with the addition of the "box" centered under the spare. If you don’t care about the spare I think it would be real quick and easy. Basically you just need something for it to sit on and hold it in place.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Just for a visual, this is what it looks like underneath:

you can see that I placed my battery relocation tray as low as possible, just above the steering rack

------------------

Check out my build!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

vortecfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vortecfieroClick Here to visit vortecfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to vortecfieroDirect Link to This Post
most of us positioned the battery so that the stock spare tire still fits
otherwise the battery could sit an inch or so lower and about 4 inches further back

------------------

87 Fiero GT 5sp with Vortec L35 4300 Turbocharged V6
Bully Stage 2 clutch
Syclone intake manifold and engine management with Moates adapter and chip burner
Air/water intercooler and Devil's Own progressive water/alky injection
50lb injectors, 3 bar map sensor, Walboro fuel pump and Jabasco Intercooler pump
LM1 wideband on custom manifolds and 3" stainless exhaust system
T31 P trim T04B H3 turbo and a S10 caliper conversion.
Murphy's Constant Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics Things get worse under pressure.
Arthur C. Clarke "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Here is an old pic when my battery was mounted on the front crossmember. I used a circle track battery tray and bolted it to the double firewall section and the front crossmember.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
This is a picture of my '86 GT's front compartment with the tub out of the way. Yes, there's lots of room on top of the crossmember for a battery. Put it right HERE, just behind the steering rack (like in the image posted above).

Another shot from a different angle to show all the room between the steering rack and the "firewall".

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-29-2010).]

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
I actually moved mine UP about an inch although you need to cut out a small piece of the front cross member just where the tub joins it. Doing that lets you move the battery forward so the spare still fits.
I also mount the battery pointing forward with the terminals through holes in the front of the box and put a cutout switch on the cross member for easy disconnect. Some plastic glued to the front of the box and in the holes prevents inadvertent sparks should anything touch while installing the battery.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Here's mine on my '88, compliments of bmwguru and crew, built to my design specs. I don't care about the spare because it won't fit over my brakes anyway and it's just extra weight to lug around!

If you want optimum handling and you have OCD, this is where you want it (if you want it up front... the stock cat location would be better if you have the room). It should be low for improved CG and close to the middle for mass centralization. If you have a small electrical load and can get away with a smaller battery you can tuck it even further down and back, and of course it'd save weight. Even better if it's an AGM battery, you can mount it sideways.
Under the headlight is one of the worst possible places to put it. :/ Of course, this is for optimizing handling (every little bit adds up). For normal street duty, pretty much anywhere will work.

P.S. Happy New Year!

------------------

'88 Fiero GT - Project MIDTRBO
'10 Camaro LT/RS - daily driver
'96 Talon TSi AWD - 11-second winter beater
There's no replacement for turbo placement

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 01-01-2011).]

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
is there a smaller optima to use up front? i dont know the optima models and differences. doesnt a smaller one (battery in general) need to be usedfor the placement under the headlight?

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

since i seem to be getting so many PM's about my hitch, ill answer right here
the trailor hitch/bike rack hitch jack, lifting and resting points...

elitopr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for elitoprClick Here to visit elitopr's HomePageSend a Private Message to elitoprDirect Link to This Post
cool location!!!!!!!!
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

is there a smaller optima to use up front? i dont know the optima models and differences. doesnt a smaller one (battery in general) need to be usedfor the placement under the headlight?

If you use the Aero Fascia, then any regular sized battery will fit. If you try to use a 84-86 bumper pad or 87/88 coupe fascia, then you would need a smaller battery.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:
is there a smaller optima to use up front? i dont know the optima models and differences....

Here is a good website with side-by-side comparisons of specs.
http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/

Here is why I chose the one I did (pictured above).
(As quoted from an email to bmwguru awhile back)
...Optima Yellow-Top model D35. This is the best compromise between size, weight, CCA's and AH capacity for my car. I want a deep-cycle battery because I'll have a pretty kickin' audio/video setup in there which will do bad things to a battery when the car is off, and also because I can see lots of starting attempts and short runs while I'm tuning. I don't need a lot of CCA's as the low-compression V6 won't require much...
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock