Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  I found a very odd air vent system in an 84 the other day.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

I found a very odd air vent system in an 84 the other day. by pontiackid86
Started on: 10-26-2010 08:41 PM
Replies: 31
Last post by: Dflint on 10-27-2010 11:43 PM
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
The car i found in the yard was a non A/C car and it had one of the wierdest venting systems i have ever seen. I wasent able to grab any pics of it but right next to the right of the steering wheel console kind of right under the pod's corner were to push & pull lines kind of like a tractor choke but there was 2 of them , One said right vent the other said left vent and when you pulled either one of them it sounded like a flap would open and close inside the dash when they were pulled/pushed. I'v never owned a non AC car so I dont know if this was standered on non AC cars or now but can anyone tell me somting about it. I think it was factory because it was in there very well.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Yes. That is factory on the non-AC cars. The front panel under the hood is flat as well, and does not provide room for an AC Evaporator...
lurtz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzDirect Link to This Post
That is stock for a non AC car. When the cables are pulled towards the driver the fresh air comes in. With the sunroof cracked open on the interstate the air moves in and out quite nicely. Makes not having AC bearable. (As long as you are still moving at a high rate of speed)
lurtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzDirect Link to This Post

lurtz

270 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Synthesis you beat me to it...... haha i had my message typed out but i entered the wrong password... had to type it all over again.
lurtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzDirect Link to This Post

lurtz

270 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Also to add when the vents are open the air comes out into the footwells. The Driver/Passenger option is great for a usually warm driver and a passenger that is always cold (guess how I know)
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I kinds wish the non Ac ones had this to. That would be pretty cool on long hot drives.
Dflint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DflintSend a Private Message to DflintDirect Link to This Post
this was only in the 84's right?
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
my fiero doesn't have ac...i can't find those on mine. its an 86.
fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I could dig this feature in my Fiero(s). Both my 87' & 88 have AC units that I hardly ever use. Can the units be removed and this feature be installed ?
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dflint:

this was only in the 84's right?

It must have been. The one i saw was in an 84 and it had no A/C if its still there next time i''l grab it to do some research on it.
Dflint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DflintSend a Private Message to DflintDirect Link to This Post
yeah pk cause i have an 85 and it does not have ac soooo im just wondering if im really missing something lol
PFF
System Bot
bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksDirect Link to This Post
My 87 w/o AC did not have these.
Jim
lurtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzDirect Link to This Post
Both my 84 non AC cars have this vent system. Maybe it is just the 84s non AC.... My first 84 SE had AC but no vent system. I think it would be pretty simple to just take the heater/hvac assembly unit out of a nonAC 84 along with the HVAC control panel and vent cables you could retrofit a later fiero. But if you would lose AC if your car originally had it.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
Yes this is only on 84's w/o A/C. I don't know why it was not available on later models but the holes are available in the chassis and just plugged with plastic inserts. It draws air from the cowl/wiper area same as the HVAC system. If someone wants to see the holes they can be seen by removing the speakers in the dash and pulling back the insulation right under the windshield.

I have a pair of these vents saved from a parts car and I plan on adding the vent to the drivers side on both of my cars. The vent won't fit on the passenger side if you have A/C as the heater core portion of the HVAC box interferes with where the vent needs to go.

After typing this response I recalled discussing this topic before. Below is a copy of my post from THIS thread.

This is what operates the vents. It is located below the gauge pod on the right side.

There are two cables. One long one for the passenger side and a shorter one for the drivers side.

This is one of the vents showing the side which mounts to the chassis

This is the other vent with the "deflector" removed to show how it opens up to let air through

This is simply the "deflector." I really don't know what to call it I named it the deflector because it looks like it is supposed to deflect the air down towards your feet.

Then this is the best picture I could come up with showing where they mount to the chassis. This was my parts cars and as you can see I cut off the windshield and I actually cut off the top portion of the holes where the vents go. The holes are really close to the bottom of the windshield and allow the vents to draw air from the front cowl area where the windshield wiper linkage is.

[This message has been edited by Jefrysuko (edited 10-26-2010).]

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Yes, It is only on 84's. I could have sworn I saw those two buttons on 84's with A/C, too. Only on the higher model SE's though, I think.

Edit: Darn it, I was beat to the punch!

Edit Edit: And I'm wrong, too!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 10-26-2010).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Yes, It is only on 84's. I could have sworn I saw those two buttons on 84's with A/C, too. Only on the higher model SE's though, I think.

I dunno because my IMSA would have them if that be the case.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
I dunno because my IMSA would have them if that be the case.

Yea, I'm most likely wrong then. Disregard my previous post, Jefrysuko beat me to the punch on this one.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I would have loved this option... I have an AC car with the AC no longer installed... some extra airflow on those hot summer days would be ideal
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I think im gona pull that out of the 84 i found... I might see about putting at least the driverside into my IMSA because i removed the A/C
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
(+) to Jefrysuko for posting all that... I never knew that quirk about the '84!.... thanks sir!
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

I kinds wish the non Ac ones had this to. That would be pretty cool on long hot drives.

I remember those vents on my old non-AC Nova. At highway speeds, the airflow through them made it like sitting in a wind tunnel!

PFF
System Bot
Dflint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DflintSend a Private Message to DflintDirect Link to This Post
so im thinking im going to find a pair of these and put them in my car
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

so im thinking im going to find a pair of these and put them in my car

X2 for my IMSA at leas on the driverside... i already know where one is though possabley 2.

Jefrysuko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

I remember those vents on my old non-AC Nova. At highway speeds, the airflow through them made it like sitting in a wind tunnel!

Yep, my 75 Chevy truck has vents similar to this in the kick panels. They make driving the truck in the summer heat bearable but only if your going at least 30 MPH. You also have to think ahead as there is no reaching the passenger one from the drivers seat.
Dflint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DflintSend a Private Message to DflintDirect Link to This Post
but my 85 w/o ac has these slots yes?
lurtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzDirect Link to This Post
I like it on my 84s. It is really only noticeable around 40 mph and beyond. It is good on the highway though. Its like having the windows cracked a few inches but without the wind noise. Helps to have the sunroof up. Not to highjack the post but can anyone answer if it is bad to have the vents open while driving through Heavy rain? Will water enter the cabin or worse just inside the dash? I've always wondered. I dont tend to drive mine in the rain so I havent had the chance to test this.
lurtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzDirect Link to This Post

lurtz

270 posts
Member since Dec 2009

but my 85 w/o ac has these slots yes?

According to what others have posted, the general concensus is that this was only in 84s with no-ac

------------------
1984 Base Coupe Red Stock MY8
1984 SE Black Stock

2002 Grand Prix GTP 40th Anniv. Stock

Dflint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DflintSend a Private Message to DflintDirect Link to This Post
well i guess i mean .. can this be put in? ik it doesnt have any of the other stuff but is there a closed area in the cabin i can open up to put these in?
lurtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzDirect Link to This Post

well i guess i mean .. can this be put in? ik it doesnt have any of the other stuff but is there a closed area in the cabin i can open up to put these in?

Ohh.. Gotcha now.. Sorry bout that. It's a good question. What year was the parts car that Jefrysuko posted?
Dflint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DflintSend a Private Message to DflintDirect Link to This Post
cause my 85 cabin gets HOT! lol and it would be nice for the air flow
Jefrysuko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
The parts car was an 84 Econo model without A/C. Where do you think I got the vents from?

I stated above but it probably wasn't that clear. ALL Fieros have the holes for these vents and they are plugged with plastic inserts which can be removed. I believe that the studs for mounting the vents are even there.

I am going to add these vents to my 86 SE and my 88 GT both of which have A/C. I'm only going to put them on the drivers side because the HVAC box in A/C cars is in the way on the passenger side.
PFF
System Bot
Dflint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DflintSend a Private Message to DflintDirect Link to This Post
well i wish i could find a pair of these

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock