Started on: 09-22-2010 01:38 AM
Replies: 23
Last post by: DIY_Stu on 10-09-2010 04:31 AM
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Looking for some help changing out some LED's on a smd board. they are smaller than 1206's.

Look into the pic there's 9 of these LED's counted so far. The led's are next to the buttons.

Any takers? Got the equipment?
How much?

[This message has been edited by DIY_Stu (edited 09-22-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
I put a standard blade fuse in the center, to help get a sense of the scale of the board......
proff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
working on that PCB is easy ,
what do you want done?
are those LED's or capacitors?
I can't see the lenses, they look like surge arresting cap's
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
use a pointy tip on the soldering iron. nice and hot, don't leave on part too long.
tweezers help pull them off and put them back on.

put a dab of solder on the pad and heat it when putting the new led on. Be sure to lightly press down when putting the new one on so it is not sticking up. then after a cooling , do the other side of led.

You can do Stu pratice on another board with surface mounts first
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
what you have circles are caps. they are not LED's. These are the most common failure in the laptops that I repair. By removing them you will kill the circut.

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1994 BMW 530 V8 2005 Cobalt with a twist

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
yeah I was thinking they were NOT leds. the bottom two that look yellow, may be led's

the board shows a "d" so maybe they are diodes?

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 09-22-2010).]

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

Like as in light emiting diodes?.............

I've seen led's this small on boards before. I don't mess with them though, I don't have the touch for these small components.

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Lambo nut (edited 09-22-2010).]

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
doh
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:
what you have circled are caps. they are not LED's. These are the most common failure in the laptops that I repair. By removing them you will kill the circut.

Originally posted by revin:
yeah I was thinking they were NOT leds. the bottom two that look yellow, may be led's

Well let me plug it in, power it up and literally shed some light in the situation

Well, this is the first time I have seen a diode glow like that... If it were a capacitor, I say GET BACK IT"S GONNA BLOW! LOL

All kidding aside, yea, they are definitely LED's

I know this is REALLY being picky haha but what I want done, is I need the orange LED's removed, and replaced with blue ones. My entire interior lighting scheme is blue. Blue numbers on the gauges, blue back lighting on the A/C controls and the individual buttons when one is selected on the A/C, the Head Unit, the power mirror and power window switches, interior floor lighting and so forth. Thus, this would be the only thing that looked really out of place.

I guess I was mistaken though, as there are 10 LED's not nine as I originally thought

This is what it looks like assembled and the LED's are off:

This is with the lights on:

As you can see, the lettering is opaque transparent, with no color. So blue LED's will definitely light it up in blue.

This is wired into my CarPC and will control volume, pause/play, next/previous track, muting, and the large center button is a "push to talk" button to tell the system to listen for voice commands.

When I eventually ever get this car done, it is going to be as high tech, if not more so, than any other car out there

Here is a short video I posted over on MP3Car demoing the voice recognition of the system. In the video, you can hear me clicking the center button on the remote control cluster pictured above , to make the system start listening.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 09-22-2010).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

JohnWPB

5182 posts
Member since May 2009
Hahaha Stuart posted the thread last night when we were talking saying he could find someone that could do it.

Now he says he want's to have a go at it hahaha.
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffDirect Link to This Post

We do by hand, surface mounted LEDs at work using conductive epoxy to (solderless) mount on our flexible membrane switch circuits. I might be able to have them do one on the side. Any specs on the LEDs?

Jeff
PFF
System Bot
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
Jameco.com

buy a set of hot tweesers for $29.00 and the blue led's call it done.

Problem is the blue LED's will also need the resistors changed. Blue LED's run at 2.6-2.8 volts.... REd led's run at 1.4 - 1.6 volts. unless you dont mind it being dimmer.

------------------

Best RV, Camper, and Trailer dealer in West Michigan. http://www.cliffstrailersales.com and he's a fiero owner too!

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
Hahaha tells you what I know about intricate electronics. I had no clue they used different voltages. What do while LED's run for voltage? I could easily just insert pieces of a blue gel used stage lighting, glued to the inside of the buttons. That is what I used in my A/C controls to turn the buttons blue when pressed in.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
You need blue LEDs. Blue gels over red LEDs will not work.

Color filters can only transmit their characteristic color if it is present in the source light. Blue gel works with a white lamp, because white light contains blue. Red light from an LED doesn't contain any blue light though...
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Hahaha tells you what I know about intricate electronics. I had no clue they used different voltages. What do while LED's run for voltage? I could easily just insert pieces of a blue gel used stage lighting, glued to the inside of the buttons. That is what I used in my A/C controls to turn the buttons blue when pressed in.

John,

Do an internet search for Nicomatic or Stanley brand LED specs. A multitde of types availabel depending upon mounting requirements, etc. They will give different voltages and brightess info.

[This message has been edited by GTGeff (edited 09-22-2010).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

You need blue LEDs. Blue gels over red LEDs will not work.

Color filters can only transmit their characteristic color if it is present in the source light. Blue gel works with a white lamp, because white light contains blue. Red light from an LED doesn't contain any blue light though...

If you read the rest of my post, I was asking about using white LED's, and using a gel, NOT using the existing LED's with a gel
jeff7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeff7Send a Private Message to jeff7Direct Link to This Post
they look like 0603 smd's i actually have a bunch of blue 0603's. Can u measure them? 0603's are 1.6 x 0.8 x 0.6mm
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
I have never done ANYTHING on this small of a scale, and have absolutely no way to measure something that is about a third the size of a grain of rice.

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Damn those are bright capacitors! LOL

Like said, you'll likely need to change the resistors at the least, cut a few traces and run some wires at the worst. I changed all the LED's in my Scion tC from yellow to blue the first month I had it. Same deal. I use everything from 1206+ down to 01005 packages (.4mmx.2mm) Way smaller than rice. LOL Fun stuff.

White LED's are typically blue LED's with a fluorescent (?) coating that glows white like a light bulb, so they usually run on the same voltage as blue.

If you can't find someone nearby and don't mind shipping it up North for a week round-trip, shoot me a PM. Looks like a couple hour job. I've got 0603 blue LED's left from the Scion too.

Edit: Damn, I didn't watch the video at 1am.. That thing is pretty freaking awesome. Makes me want a car PC! Now where did I put that 7" touchscreen..... Oh yeah, I took it apart to install into the steering wheel, then sold the car. Doh!

[This message has been edited by Riceburner98 (edited 09-23-2010).]

nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireDirect Link to This Post
I really want to see this done, hope you will post some pics, NICE PROJECT!!!
DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
I told you John I have Blue 0603's here and Mouser.com is located within 45 miles of me and I have an account with them so I can either have it shipped or due to the account ... pick them up.
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DIY_Stu:

I told you John I have Blue 0603's here and Mouser.com is located within 45 miles of me and I have an account with them so I can either have it shipped or due to the account ... pick them up.

Huh?? Either have what shipped, or do to the account pick what up?

Still just waiting on your address to ship it to ya.....
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

JohnWPB

5182 posts
Member since May 2009
Ok, the Controls are packaged up, and ready to ship to DIY_Stu either tomorrow (If the post office here is still open on Saturday) or first thing Monday.
DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Came in today and ready to ship back today. My bulky old solder iron made it a bit tricky, but wasn't too bad.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock