Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Ever get most of the way through a project and change your mind?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Ever get most of the way through a project and change your mind? by grkboy707
Started on: 07-05-2010 10:37 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Australian on 07-06-2010 07:43 AM
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2010 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
So today I was going to work on my dash faceplates (I'm making them out of fiberglass and then covering with veneer), when I got to the cluster one. I thought it would be a difficult process, and then I realized that the original stock interior doesn't look half bad. So I went on tracing it to my fiberglass plate and when I took it off, I found I made a minor mistake. Not a big one though, it would just take a few minutes to fix, but thats when I threw in the towel. I've already made a shift surround (plate and actual piece), small gauge pod plate (no poly, but cut to size and veneered), had the right size for the radio plate, and of coarse the plate for the cluster, fully veneered with a coat of poly. I've invested at least $100 in materials for this. Has anybody else had this happen? Sorry for my rant.

[This message has been edited by grkboy707 (edited 07-05-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2010 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
Yup. Lots of times. Sometimes I wish I only had $100 in it.
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2010 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
Yeah, luckily this one was only $100, but I had so many hours into this. Oh well, at least this taught me about fiberglassing. I wouldnt say I'm an expert now, but I can work with it quite well
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2010 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealDirect Link to This Post
I'm about $600 into my full body swap (se to fastback + every other panel except the roof).. I'm starting to doubt and I'm halfway into my project. $600 is a lot of money invested, I doubt it will look as good as I initially thought and it's a lot of work to finish! I can't give up though because I now have a multi colored Fiero with miss-aligned panels. If I leave it as is it looks like crap. I’m starting the fastback part next and then I have to tweak the front panels so that the alignment issues are fixed. It’s a headache but I hope it pays off. What sucks is that I'm doubting so much now and I wonder what made me think the crazy idea was a good idea .. haha
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2010 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
YEP!

(this looked better in my head!)

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2010 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Yes I have, and I sold the car and bought another to start again. I sold and 85gt back in the day that was three colors because I could not decide what color to paint it as I liked all the colors

------------------
1984 Indy Pace car 163 Parade car #4 1985 Fiero GT 4speed
1986 Fiero GT 1997 Supercharged GTP
2005 Cobalt with a twist

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

starlightcoupe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2010 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post
I worked nearly 10 years off and on with my '53 Chevy pickup and one day I woke up to go downstairs to install the steering column and brake pedal and said, "I hate this danged thing." Later that day, I put it on craigslist for $10,000 and took a $6,000 loss. The new owner is getting tired of it now and sent a message to me through a mutual friend that he'd like to sell it. Frankly, I like my Notchie with the 3800SC and he can keep that money pit.

AADrcw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2010 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AADrcwSend a Private Message to AADrcwDirect Link to This Post
I have been there done that. almost 3 years ago i had my first fiero a mint 86gt that I sold to build my 73 nova, over the past three years that car fought me every single step of the way all up till about 6 months ago I was driving it (one of the few times it didn't fight me some how) and I realized it wasn't fun anymore, I had to fix it more then I could drive it and enjoy it.. Sold the car 2 days later taking a $1500 loss.. 3 months later I got myself another fiero and I'm still regretting selling my first one.. but lesson learned and extremely happy with the one I have now. I know I wont be making the same mistake twice.

Cody
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2010 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Yea, i did my 3.4 P/R swap, with an automatic, I put the cradle and everything into the Fiero, everything is nearly brand new, started having problems with the automatic 4-speed, then decided i want a 4-speed manual, so now I gotta swap the car over to manual, and drop the the freshly put in cradle and put a manual in.
Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2010 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post
Yep over 4k into a v8 swap for my 88 coupe and decided to go L67 instead. Got a bad @$$ SBC in the garage now and had to buy an 86GT to put it into.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2010 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Happened to me a lot during the building of my 87. Thought i would never get it done (still isant) but i kept on pressin forward. but i was about to throw in the towl on the whole car when my green fiero made its way into my driveway. i had some kid ready to buy it but i was standing outside my garage one day looking at it and said to myself the green one is nice but the 87 is my car my idea and my pride and joy...... im going to get burried in that car if it dosent kill me.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 07-06-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2010 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Everyone has that is why we admire the final product so much. My car has given me regrets at times i have missed fiero drives shows etc. Changing my mind about my body kit added another year to my build. I don't want to think about an engine swap till i have the engine and every piece i will ever need and only have 21000 miles on the clock so not in a rush.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock