Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Improving my tow rig mileage for my trip to Frazee, MN (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Improving my tow rig mileage for my trip to Frazee, MN by R Runner
Started on: 06-15-2010 09:16 PM
Replies: 45
Last post by: Synthesis on 07-12-2010 05:22 PM
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2010 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Well..... Here is the finished product. At least I hope it is.

I have assembled all of it but have not taken a test drive yet. Currently my only concern is the side pieces flapping which may be able to be controled by some white duct tape (just the 7" that is hanging off). However, I figure that the wind will simply push them against the trailer. I guess I will find out soon enough.

IP: Logged
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2010 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Looks good, ended up looking close to my photoshop.

Can't wait to hear how the test drive turns out.
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2010 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Looks good, ended up looking close to my photoshop.

Can't wait to hear how the test drive turns out.

I was also amazed at how close it looked to your photoshop!

So I took it on a test drive this afternoon on about a 25 mile round trip. Pictures of the whole rig ... (I love my new truck )

The test drive.........

I started out slowly to make sure that nothing was going to come loose or that panels would deflect. I was watching in my mirrors as I slowly got to 55 MPH. Piece of cake! Everything was smooth. I definately noticed that it did not feel like towing a brick anymore. I can feel less pull from the trailer on the truck at speed. So then I tried to pick up the pace until I started to feel the trailer drag in the air. I had a difficult time finding this point because everyting was so smooth. I even forgot to engage my anti-sway friction bar and did not notice any problems. Tracked straight as an arrow. I was able to steadily cruise at 76 MPH before the truck felt like it was working a little. Granted, the trailer was unloaded, but it was the aerodynamic drag that I was trying to determine.

I am happy

However, with all of my projects, there are areas for improvement.

- The gas strut idea works fine, but it needs to be a little more beefy or better angles. Yes, it does clear the doors so "mission accomplished" but I wanted it to have some authority.
- Spring latches would be cool to lock it into place and not as combersome as the loop / bolt method I have. On a positive note, there is no chance of mine coming loose and flipping up.
- I need somthing on the sides. I will be making the "triangle" cones for the sides that will divert air that is on the side of the truck. I will not be able to make that one in time for the trip to Frazee.

I am very interested to see what my mileage is on this long trip.

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2010 04:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Bump for the Monday crowd.
Isolde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2010 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
You can seriously reduce your frontal area for nearly free by switching back to 1 stock front airdam, then crank down the adjuster bolts for the torsion bars. That'll get the nose down where it belongs. I've seen 2 mpg improvement, from a gasoline Vortec 350, from that alone. Oh yeah, don't forget to get the alignment re-checked once the nose is down.

[This message has been edited by Isolde (edited 07-12-2010).]

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2010 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Looking real good there. That should help quite a bit by diverting the wind off the front of the brick.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock