Loco-Fiero Build Log: Presented by NoCones Garage by Driven5
Started on: 06-05-2010 02:28 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: JordanStache87Gt on 11-01-2010 11:22 PM
Driven5

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Driven5Send a Private Message to Driven5Direct Link to This Post
I figure that while I haven't started actually building anything yet, I've pretty much passed the point of no return on the deconstruction...So I might as well get a build log started. And since this is really just based on a Fiero, I supposed that it is definitely more "General Fiero Chat" than "Technical Discussion".

While this is significantly different than the path I had intended to take with the drivetrain I purchased well over a year ago, as many people know life has a funny way of changing things. So with a number of factors having modified certain aspects of my plans, I decided to speed up the build process by finding a car with nearly ideal properties to base my build on. The Fiero, already being a mid-engine design already has a lot of gear in place that can be reused and save significant cost. In addition to that, every external body panel is relatively easily removed. This provides me essentially with ready-made body work that can bolt whatever I fit under it, whether that contains any of the original structure or not.

The current plan is to use the Fiero passenger compartment, with tubular front and rear subframes. In the rear will be the Ford Duratec 3.0L mated to a "built" MTX-75, complete with Quaife HLSD, being run by a Megasquirt. I'm sure there will be questions and/or comments from forum members here on this particular choice, among others yet to be disclosed.

Most importantly I need to thank a former forum member here, nocones, for not only the use of a substantial amount of the space in his garage, but also the skilled assistance and valued Fiero knowledge that he has been providing me with!

------------------
-Justin

Move with the cheese, and enjoy it.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Driven5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Driven5Send a Private Message to Driven5Direct Link to This Post
Here she is all...shiny and new??

The drivetrain:
Driven5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Driven5Send a Private Message to Driven5Direct Link to This Post

Driven5

43 posts
Member since Apr 2010
Proof that this was an environmentally friendly "green" car!

It's ALIVE!!

Driven5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Driven5Send a Private Message to Driven5Direct Link to This Post

Driven5

43 posts
Member since Apr 2010
Starting Deconstruction:

Under the carpet found a bit of mold on the drivers side, and ants on the passenger side...Not sure where they came from, but I can tell you where they went. Brake Clean is apparently almost as versatile as duct tape. Interestingly enough, I haven't seen any more ants...Just a seemingly endless supply of new spiders to kill.

And finally we needed free up a little space in the garage...So she got her first nose job.
Driven5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Driven5Send a Private Message to Driven5Direct Link to This Post

Driven5

43 posts
Member since Apr 2010
I might add that the complete 2.8L/AT drivetrain and rear subframe will be coming out in the next week or two. While the car sat for ~5 years before my acquisition, the engine started easy, revved freely, and in general for the few minutes we needed (for basic inspection and getting it on/off the trailer) it sounded surprisingly good. Ultimately I'll need to get rid of it ASAP once it's out, in order to free up garage space. So anybody near enough to Appleton, WI that they could come pick it up, or arrange to have it picked up, is more than welcome to make an offer on it.
Driven5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Driven5Send a Private Message to Driven5Direct Link to This Post

Driven5

43 posts
Member since Apr 2010
An explanation on the title: "Loco-Fiero" is actually not primarily a reference to the fact that I plan to do some pretty crazy stuff to this Fiero. It's more a homage to the term "Locost", which is a play on the name Lotus with the description of 'low cost'. In other words it describes what is traditionally a tightly-budgeted home build of a Lotus-7 replica, generally based off the plans out of "the book" and a pile of tubes rather than an actual purchased kit. I'm using many of the themes and techniques used in Locost design and construction for this "non-traditional" build. It's also appropriate in that many of my targets are also still based on a Lotus, it just happens to be the modern Elise/Exige rather than the vintage 7. More information on Locost building in the USA can be found here: http://www.locostusa.com/

[This message has been edited by Driven5 (edited 06-05-2010).]

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
Nocones? I havn't heard that name in a long time. Tell Daniel I said hi!

I don't know how long you have known him but there are some pictures here from when I knew him.

Sounds like an interesting project. I'm sure that is part of why Daniel is on board. I see his Midget in the background. That was an interesting project as well but I see some significant changes since I last saw it.

[This message has been edited by Jefrysuko (edited 06-05-2010).]

Driven5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Driven5Send a Private Message to Driven5Direct Link to This Post
Haha...Great pics! We go back to college days, so probably not too terribly long after those pics were taken. Yeah the Midget caught a bad case of project creep since you saw it last:

...Maybe someday it'll even drive again.
Driven5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Driven5Send a Private Message to Driven5Direct Link to This Post
Got the engine "out"...Thanks to some quick thinking by Dan, pictured above, this was a lot easier than I expected!

Anybody interested in the drivetrain, or parts from it, before it is turned into a toaster...Speak now or forever hold your peace:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/052398.html

[This message has been edited by Driven5 (edited 06-18-2010).]

topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
You know, Quaife makes some really awesome straight cut gears for the MTX Just a thought...

edit: I do love what your are doing, I tube chassied a 87 GT using a Acura Legend powertrain. Never got it running and lost interest in the project, but it was fun when I had the extra time.

[This message has been edited by topher_time (edited 06-18-2010).]

FieroReinke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroReinkeSend a Private Message to FieroReinkeDirect Link to This Post
When I first started reading your post I thought to myself that I recognized your avatar from Locostusa. I am also a member overthere and will be starting my build later this year. Good luck with your build. Any sketches of what you expect the car to look like when done or are you sticking with the lotus 7 style?
PFF
System Bot
Driven5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Driven5Send a Private Message to Driven5Direct Link to This Post

Any sketches of what you expect the car to look like when done or are you sticking with the lotus 7 style?

See the 1st pic in this thread, or my avatar...Then imagine it with a bit more raw badassiness.

Hopefully the visible things will eventually be flush mount headlights, vented hood, big rear spoiler, modified engine cover, possibly some type of splitter, lower stance, and some relatively mild (probably 15"F/16"R) rims with the stickiest of street rubber. Interior will basically stay gutted. It won't be 'pretty'...But that was never the point.

[This message has been edited by Driven5 (edited 06-18-2010).]

Driven5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2010 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Driven5Send a Private Message to Driven5Direct Link to This Post
Due to work getting crazy, and trying to spend a little time with my wife once in a while, progress seemed to come to a screeching halt for the last...3 months?!? Damn. Well, I'm back at it again, slowly but surely making some progress since my last update.

I purchased 99-04 Mustang front spindles to use in the front of the car, obviously with some sort of balljoint adapter for the stock strut upper mount, but I'll worry about that when I get to it. I also purchased a second set of calipers to use on the rear. These are the PBR aluminum dual piston sliding calipers use by a number of sports cars, and they actually feel surprisingly light for their size. This is definitely one Fiero that should have absolutely no troubles stopping.

The rear bolt-on hubs are from a Ford Taurus, and are going to be machined to 5x114.3 to match the fronts soon. These will be mounted to a fabricated steel upright. Interestingly enough, seems that the Taurus hub flange was practically designed to take a Mustang rotor, with the sole exception of the bolt pattern.

I also purchased a set of wheels and tires on sale at Discount Tire Direct. Since budget is the name of the game, I'm went with 15x6.5 front and 16x7 rear MB Five X wheels wrapped in 195/55-15 front and 225/50-16 rear Yokohama S.Drive tires. I chose this size combination due to the commonality and affordability of sticky tires, and am leaving it somewhat to chance that it will look good too. I know these tires aren't the stickiest, but they should be grippy enough yet durable enough to spend plenty of time dialing the car in before dropping extra money on tires that will wear out faster and be more likely to flat spot.

Finally I have started mocking up the rear subframe, trying to get a feel for where everything will go. So far I'm beginning to lean towards pullrod shock actuation over a pushrod setup, due primarily to what I believe will be some packaging constraints.

Hopefully future progress will pickup some momentum now, since my wife is now the one with multiple late nights each week...
JordanStache87Gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2010 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JordanStache87GtSend a Private Message to JordanStache87GtDirect Link to This Post
You have a PM

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock