Started on: 06-03-2010 08:54 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Miker on 06-04-2010 09:53 AM
fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
I just installed Norm's front mount battery box in my formula, and I can't get the spare tire back in. I followed the instructions to a "T", and even cut back the plastic lip on the firewall side of the wheel well like the instructions said I might have to do. But it still isn't even close to fitting. Do I have to step down to a 50 series battery or what? Before anyone asks the dumb questions, yes I am using the factory spare, and yes I have the battery terminals facing the front of the car. Any advice?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
You need a smaller battery...

I am running the BIGGEST side post I could find for my car.. No spare tire for me..
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
Thanks chris, I guess I should be okay with a 50 series battery even though it will have less cold cranking amps because my 2.0 turbo only has 8.0:1 compression and 4 cylinders. I'm guessing there isn't nearly as much resistance there as what a 2.8 or even a duke would have. I'll give it a shot.

Edit to add: Holy crap Synthesis!! You have almost 8,000 posts!!!

[This message has been edited by fieroguy123 (edited 06-03-2010).]

Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
I had the same issue but chose to ditch the doughnut. I'm running an optima red using the top posts for battery and ground and the side mount terminals for accessories.
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
Doesn't it weigh on your minds that neither of you have a spare tire? I couldn't imagine driving across town worrying more and more as I get further and further away from home that I might get a flat tire. I made that mistake one time as a teenager and set on the side of the road for 4 hours before my dad could get to me. I personally am not willing to risk it.
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Mine fits but I have to wrestle with it sometimes.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguy123:

Doesn't it weigh on your minds that neither of you have a spare tire? I couldn't imagine driving across town worrying more and more as I get further and further away from home that I might get a flat tire. I made that mistake one time as a teenager and set on the side of the road for 4 hours before my dad could get to me. I personally am not willing to risk it.

AAA. 'Nuff said.
Miker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikerSend a Private Message to MikerDirect Link to This Post
I had the same problem when I first put mine in. I found that the spare was catching on the edge of the battery as I was trying to put it in. It also rubbed on the brake master cylinder. By putting a piece of an old rubber floor mat under the edge of the battery caused it to tip more towards the front of the car and I was able to get it to wiggle down into its home. I later got the redtop battery as it was smaller than the one that was in it but it still rubs against the master cylinder. Also I need to watch about leaving the spare tire where it can get hot (in the sun) because that will cause it to swell just enough that it makes it harder to wiggle into place.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock