Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  86 degrees and rainy tomorrow....i have no AC...drive to work will be he77... (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
86 degrees and rainy tomorrow....i have no AC...drive to work will be he77... by faaaaq
Started on: 05-24-2010 02:53 PM
Replies: 46
Last post by: rogergarrison on 05-27-2010 11:00 AM
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 06:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I live in ohio. its been 80% humidity. I also lived in Texas and Okla where I never owned a house or car that even had AC. Going to be 85* here again for the 4th day. I didnt even break a sweat working in the garage. Even had the door closed while painting.

IP: Logged
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deceler8:

and if you're really adventurous, fill 'er up with a $3 bottle of propane and prepare to be able to cut glass with your nipples.

tell me more
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Mythbusters didnt do a complete test on that. They had a normal size vehicle and were checking to see if you got better mileage with windows open, or windows closed and AC. Not much difference there. Now if they tested something like a 2 ltr Cavalier, the air compressor drags down a lot of hp. and that might change. My 2.7 Sebring on the freeway can feel it slow down when I do kick on the AC compressor. When you only have 150 hp, taking 25 to run the compressor is quite a drag. On a 350 v8, theres no effect.

Getting on the freeway and comparing it to a run down the drag strip, Ill bet the AC compressor on alone adds a few seconds to the ET.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 05-26-2010).]

LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Mythbusters didnt do a complete test on that. They had a normal size vehicle and were checking to see if you got better mileage with windows open, or windows closed and AC. Not much difference there. Now if they tested something like a 2 ltr Cavalier, the air compressor drags down a lot of hp. and that might change. My 2.7 Sebring on the freeway can feel it slow down when I do kick on the AC compressor. When you only have 150 hp, taking 25 to run the compressor is quite a drag. On a 350 v8, theres no effect.

Getting on the freeway and comparing it to a run down the drag strip, Ill bet the AC compressor on alone adds a few seconds to the ET.

But you are forgetting that the widows down can cause drag, which also takes power to over come.

So no matter which engine you have, you need to see which uses more power, the compressor or the extra drag.

Originally posted by faaaaq:

"the dye"? i dont know the process for checking pressure or using a dye to hunt for the leak (if there is one)

Do some searching. You are an intelligent human being. There is a lot of information on the net, and for a/c basics, it doesn't need to be Fiero specific.

Here is a quick link I found that might be helpful.
http://www.id-usa.com/how_to_faqs_acleak.asp

[This message has been edited by LitebulbwithaFiero (edited 05-26-2010).]

02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Direct Link to This Post
My Fiero needs a new pressure switch on the compressor, and it will work(leaks). Problem being that is a royal PITA to work on under there and I am not looking forward to it.

my 2002 s-10 4 cyl 5 spd really has not affect wheather the AC is on or not on the highway. Stop and go or city might make it go down a few, it's gutless with it on.
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

Do some searching. You are an intelligent human being. There is a lot of information on the net, and for a/c basics, it doesn't need to be Fiero specific.

me and google are best pals, but when it comes to a technical discussion in a forum, i prefer to ask questions, so the question and answer are both still i nthe same place as the rest of the convo, for mine and others' convenience.

thanks, i will check the link tomorrow
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Yes thats what they proved. But again same thing applies, open windows do cause drag, but bigger engines deal with that better, same as AC compressor. My Sebring loses about 1.5 mpg with AC on. Without the AC, putting the top down dont have any effect....mine does have the instant MPG readout. With the Coronet, I have same power with or without windows down (413 V8)
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock