Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  LED marker / turn signals and accent lighting (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
LED marker / turn signals and accent lighting by randye
Started on: 03-16-2010 09:59 AM
Replies: 112
Last post by: 88GTS on 11-19-2010 03:01 PM
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
This mod was sort of "buried" in my HID headlight install thread, so I thought I would post it again here in a separate thread for those that may have missed it.

Say bye-bye to the old dim single 194 bulbs.

Say hello to a more "modern" look

Front turn signal markers:

Rear marker lights:

LED Daytime running lights and accent lights:

Kits to do these modifications for your Fiero are now available from TLG-Auto

http://www.tlg-auto.com/sho...id=92&category_id=28

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-18-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bump

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpSend a Private Message to BumpDirect Link to This Post
Link dosent work, but that looks good! I love that color!
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bump:

Link dosent work, but that looks good! I love that color!

http://www.tlg-auto.com/sho...browse&category_id=2
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
Link fixed...

Sorry about that.
Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
I like it Randye! . That's a nice color. What's the name and paint code on that color?

Dave

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 03-16-2010).]

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
what plug connector did they used for the turn signals that plug into the fiero connector?

thanks...
Terry_w

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Terry_wSend a Private Message to Terry_wDirect Link to This Post
In your pictures the front side markers look amber but the link says they are white. (I thought front side markers have to be amber).
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Terry_w:

In your pictures the front side markers look amber but the link says they are white. (I thought front side markers have to be amber).

They are white LED's behind the stock Amber Lens
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

As JimmyS so aptly stated; The front marker / signals use white LEDs behind the amber lenses.
You *could* use yellow LEDs behind the front lenses, but they are a lot dimmer than the white.
The rear markers use red LEDs behind the lenses, (white LEDs behind the red lenses make them look too "orange")
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13768 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Originally posted by Daredevil05:

I like it Randye! . That's a nice color. What's the name and paint code on that color?

Dave

The paint is Lamborghini "Arancio Borealis", (pearl orange).
Same code used for Mercialago and the Gallardo
Jakesdads86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jakesdads86gtSend a Private Message to Jakesdads86gtDirect Link to This Post
Randye - there's no actual 'click to buy' on the site, but there is a 'notify me' button, which I clicked but I'm not sure if anything actually happened (I'm at work so who knows what dastardly things happen, it might be partially blocked or something)

Anyway, I figured I'd post here that I would like a set of the side marker kits, front and rear. Let me know if I need to do something else (like pay for them, which I'm sure would be appreciated )

Nice car by the way.
PFF
System Bot
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalDirect Link to This Post
What kind of modification is needed to install these? They definitely look cool! I'm guessing that some cutting on the light housings is required. Any chance you could have some how-to instructions? I would really appreciate it. Thank you, sweet looking car btw!!
Jakesdads86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jakesdads86gtSend a Private Message to Jakesdads86gtDirect Link to This Post
Follow the second link above. There is a detailed video of the whole process on TLG's site (find the kit first, on the 2nd page)
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Im coppying your idea for the marker lights
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jakesdads86gt:

Follow the second link above. There is a detailed video of the whole process on TLG's site (find the kit first, on the 2nd page)

Very cool thanks! I was on my phone and apparently too lazy to scoll to page 2. I thought the accent kit was it. Very nice video. I think this will be going on my list of things to do sometime!!
kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I have another project....very nice Randye.

------------------

http://members.cardomain.com/koolflip

zigaroo

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zigarooSend a Private Message to zigarooDirect Link to This Post
I've been waiting for this for quite some time---glad to see everything worked out with the notchies.

I think this will look great on my Formula!
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
darnit I had something really similar to this planned... but not as a market piece so I guess I'm just late in the game. Good idea BTW thought I had it first... Just watched the video in it it's mentioned to be carefull not to break the post.... In my trials so far.. BE CAREFUL NOT TO PRY AGAINST THE SIDE IT'LL BREAK TOO!
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

what plug connector did they used for the turn signals that plug into the fiero connector?

thanks...

The wiring from the LED strip in the kit that plugs into the stock Fiero connector is the same as the original bulb. There is no modification needed on the wiring.
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

Oslo

5423 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Right now the front marker kit uses white LEDs instead of amber, but we are experimenting with using amber LEDs to see how it looks. It will likely work fine, but an install needs to be done first. In person, and at night they still look the right color.

[This message has been edited by Oslo (edited 03-16-2010).]

Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

Oslo

5423 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jakesdads86gt:

Randye - there's no actual 'click to buy' on the site, but there is a 'notify me' button, which I clicked but I'm not sure if anything actually happened (I'm at work so who knows what dastardly things happen, it might be partially blocked or something)

Anyway, I figured I'd post here that I would like a set of the side marker kits, front and rear. Let me know if I need to do something else (like pay for them, which I'm sure would be appreciated )

Nice car by the way.

If you are on an actual computer, not your phone, you should be able to click the "Notify Me" button, and it will bring you to a prompt to input your email address.
Right now we are waiting on a new stock of wire connector plugs to finish the LED strips. At that time the site will be updated with a new available quantity and you should receive an email telling you that they are back in stock. No pre-orders are being taken.

If you still have problems after trying the notification function again, PM me.

------------------
Top Line Group Automotive
-Aftermarket accessories for the Fiero
www.TLG-auto.com

PFF
System Bot
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

What kind of modification is needed to install these? They definitely look cool! I'm guessing that some cutting on the light housings is required. Any chance you could have some how-to instructions? I would really appreciate it. Thank you, sweet looking car btw!!

Click this link to see the full 10 minute instructional video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaVGcZy29vM

It took me (The guy in the video) about 5 minutes to do just one marker, without video taping and explaining everything.
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

Oslo

5423 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by zigaroo:

I've been waiting for this for quite some time---glad to see everything worked out with the notchies.

I think this will look great on my Formula!

Randy says that the fastback side marker lights are super-easy to do this mod to, but the notchback side marker light version couldn't be done without adding heat. After cutting away at the sides and heating it up the install became fairly straight forward.
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

Oslo

5423 posts
Member since Sep 2002
I should also mention one more thing. The pictures of Randye's orange Fiero have a lot more color in the amber than my silver Fiero has, this is because my marker lights are pretty old and original, while Randy's are aftermarket reproductions from the Fiero Store, also, the different lighting and different cameras used to take the pictures will have something to do with the different shades of color that shows up. I think it turned out spectacular on the old original lenses:

[This message has been edited by Oslo (edited 03-16-2010).]

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Direct Link to This Post
wow, nice led's, thanks for the info.marker lights one can see.
Terry_w

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Terry_wSend a Private Message to Terry_wDirect Link to This Post
Was there a reason you do not run the wire out the existing socket hole instead of cutting a notch and bringing it ot at the end. It seems like it would protect the wires better if they were under the back and passing through the socket instead of being between the fender and the light fixture.
I think I may use a small dremel wheel to cut the back. I get nervous around razor knives
Looks great! I will definitely plan to do this.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Was there a reason you do not run the wire out the existing socket hole instead of cutting a notch and bringing it ot at the end. It seems like it would protect the wires better if they were under the back and passing through the socket instead of being between the fender and the light fixture.
I think I may use a small dremel wheel to cut the back. I get nervous around razor knives

Just to be very clear about what needs to be done to make this modification.
You do not need to cut the plastic. You simply need to release the glued joint between the outer molding piece and the backing plate.
The goal is to remove this part in one piece:

These are generally glued to the outer molding on the long edges of the part (green arrows)

The wires for the LEDs are run out the end and behind the backing plate because the new LED strip covers the hole on the front of the plate, (green circle)

There is plenty of room to run the small wires for the LED strip behind the reassembled molding piece and they are well protected there.

TLG-Auto has also added a 194 style plug to the wires, (I spliced and soldered mine to the OEM wires when I "invented" this modification).
You won't need to cut or splice any wires to install your LEDs.
Just plug them in.

NOTE:
I found that polarity of the LED strip with the OEM marker wiring is important.
You will need to test the LEDs once you have them installed into the molding.
They should light up steady along with your parking lights and flash with your turn signals. (*rear markers do not flash)
If they do not work on both steady state *and* flash, you may have to simply unplug them, turn the plug 180 degrees to reverse the contacts, and plug them back in and test again.

The new LED marker signals will *not* flash with your parking lights *off*.
I don't find this to be a problem, as the old 194 bulbs were barely visible during the daylight anyway.

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
I can say they look great, I am in the process of doing mine at the moment. it is a little harder for me to do them since I have to be carefull not to scratch my new paint.

Nice Job on this one
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

I agree with you that it would be better if the wiring would have come out of the hole in the middle of the backing plate, but it is just not possible with this setup. I think you will see when doing this project that it works very well the way it is done here though.

If you have a fastback and you want to do this modification, you may not even need to cut anything, you may not even need to use any heat at all.The marker lights on the two body styles are very different.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Nice job.

Originally posted by randye:
NOTE:
I found that polarity of the LED strip with the OEM marker wiring is important.
You will need to test the LEDs once you have them installed into the molding.
They should light up steady along with your parking lights and flash with your turn signals. (*rear markers do not flash)
If they do not work on both steady state *and* flash, you may have to simply unplug them, turn the plug 180 degrees to reverse the contacts, and plug them back in and test again.

The new LED marker signals will *not* flash with your parking lights *off*.

If front marker doesn't flash with turn signal on and park light is On or Off... see cave, LED Marker light.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-17-2010).]

Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oslo:
The wiring from the LED strip in the kit that plugs into the stock Fiero connector is the same as the original bulb. There is no modification needed on the wiring.

"that plug" is it a 194 male connector or just a broken bulb with wires soldered to it?
i already have LEDs just need a way to connect to the Fiero connector w/o cutting the wires.

Originally posted by theogre:
Nice job.

If front marker doesn't flash with turn signal on and park light is On or Off... see cave, LED Marker light.

so after reading the cave, to have both the "park" and "turn" you need two led strips inside the marker housing or the bridge rectifier?
PFF
System Bot
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

so after reading the cave, to have both the "park" and "turn" you need two led strips inside the marker housing or the bridge rectifier?

NO The 194 plug is not a broken 194 bulb.
Yes, it's a male plug.

I think the "Ogre" is concerned about the LED markers not flashing when the parking lights are off.
The TLG-Auto LED kit will stay on steady when the parking lights are ON *and* will flash with the turn signals.
The LED front markers will NOT flash when the parking lights are off.
I do not find this to be a big problem because the old 194 bulb is so dim that it's practically invisible in daylight.

If you must have the front marker flash when the parking lights are OFF, you DO NOT need 2 LED strips in each of the front markers!
You can simply add a silicon bridge rectifier into the wiring on each side.
(Radio Shack P/N 276-1152)
The bridge rectifiers are less than $2 each if I recall correctly.

To do this you just need to wire the bridge rectifier in as shown in the Ogre's cave, (see "Lighting" - "LED Marker Light"), then plug in the TLG-Auto kit into the old socket.

The Ogre is being helpful.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-17-2010).]

Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
^^^ thank you for the clarification.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Yes... bridge rectifiers does the trick.

Originally posted by randye:

I think the "Ogre" is concerned about the LED markers not flashing when the parking lights are off.
The Ogre is being helpful.

Yes and thank you.

I do not find this to be a big problem because the old 194 bulb is so dim that it's practically invisible in daylight.

You should do it too.

Yes 194 is dim... No question. Front marker is even dimer because bulb never gets full voltage. (Long story...)

You new LED isn't dim, it look to be quite bright for reduce voltage, and you can make the car safe in daytime. Safer than GM for sure. It's so cheap and easy to do... Why not? Just think about it please.

Solder is a very good ideal but not require. Use small crimp "butt" connector.
Try (All radioshack.com)
64-033 Heat-Shrinkable Butt-Splice Connectors (8-Pack)
64-3036 Non-Insulated Crimp-On Butt Connectors (20-Pack)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
Couldn't you solder the wire from the back at the two indicated arrows... instead of the ends ....that way you could pass the wire through the existing hole??

------------------

Lambo Doors
http://www.blackwidowfiero.com

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

Couldn't you solder the wire from the back at the two indicated arrows... instead of the ends ....that way you could pass the wire through the existing hole??

I understand what you are suggesting, however in the photo you will note that the hole for the old 194 bulb is between the 2 small ribs at the center of the backing plate. (green circle)
As you can see the LED strip is wide enough that it just fits between those ribs, covering the hole, and does not leave sufficient room for the wires.
Trust me, there really is plenty of room to run the wires behind the molding assembly and into the hole in the fender beside the old bulb mount.
The wires are completely hidden and very well protected.
kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessDirect Link to This Post
They are out of stuck for the moment. For what I understand this item are assembled by TLG. Looking forward to having this in my Fiero. Hopefully sooner than later. I like this mod!!! Looks like Fieros West is having another MOD Party.....

------------------

http://members.cardomain.com/koolflip

86fierofun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
Watching the install video, couldn't you run the wires through the middle hole, then just have them bend back at the end? The LED strip is a self adhesive backing, I would think that it could still stick to the backing with wires running under it. Did that make any sense?

See the dotted path:
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fierofun:
Watching the install video, couldn't you run the wires through the middle hole, then just have them bend back at the end? The LED strip is a self adhesive backing, I would think that it could still stick to the backing with wires running under it. Did that make any sense?
See the dotted path:

Exactly what I said..... but also solder the wires in the back of the LED strip (Reverse side where the arrows are in my pic) then just run the wires through the hole.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fierofun:

See the dotted path:

When you get your kits from TLG-Auto you can try to run your wires any which way that suits your fancy.
Personally I don't care if people duct tape them up over the fender and feed them through a hole drilled in the hood!
I'm simply speaking from experience and having developed this modification.
When you get your lights apart and install the LED strips you will see for yourself how precious little room there is between the backing plate and the lens.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock