Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  How bad do the 3.8L's really sound??? (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
How bad do the 3.8L's really sound??? by kawana
Started on: 11-11-2008 10:29 PM
Replies: 146
Last post by: solotwo on 09-12-2010 08:47 PM
kawana

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2008 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
that one sounded pretty cool. wonder what kinda piping it took to get that sound? Wonder if there'd be enough room to do something close to that, if you removed the trunk.
IP: Logged
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2008 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Old SC video.

Crappy cell phone video, Yay for turbo!

And an Idle video...

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 11-20-2008).]

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2009 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
sabooo

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2009 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for saboooSend a Private Message to saboooDirect Link to This Post
They can definitely sound great at idle. Here are two clips of the Golden86 car when he still owned it. Worked over 3800sc, no cat, 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust.

Idle: http://media.putfile.com/3800SC-Idle and driving: http://videos.streetfire.ne...c16-9e03b1856b5b.htm Adding a cat quieted down slightly, but the intake whine is still there.

I agree that it is TOTALLY a matter of preference, but personally, I cant get enough of it.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
Spoilt_87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2009 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroDirect Link to This Post
currie68

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2009 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for currie68Send a Private Message to currie68Direct Link to This Post
has anyone tryed running a resonator or maybe a sound chamber
on one of these. I been under alot of cars with these.

they have a cat then a sound chamber then a muffler
hell I have seen some with two or even four with dual
exhaust. just a thought
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2009 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Back from the dead!! (I got a new turbo)

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 08-09-2009).]

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2009 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Haha, i see this thread continued without me :P Nice vid Jncomutt, that thing took off like a rocket! Try and get some more videos of it
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
More "Back from the Dead"

Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
I personally don't think they sound that bad. Throw a cam in them and they sound really mean.
PFF
System Bot
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post
i like a more "bubbly" sound, like a big ole v8. the 3800 sounds ALRIGHT, but it sounds like a severely muffled v8 IMHO

also, i HATE HATE HATE the sound of a turbo spooling....i will NEVER turbo my car....lol

from what ive read, people either deal with the sound or try to make it quieter... is there a way to make it LOUDER and more like a read v8?
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Every car in Australia has one and i can tell you none sound really sweet the best option is go for the silent exhaust that way the only noise you hear is air sucking and supercharge whine. The 2.8 liter at least sounds sweet you wont find many v6 that will sound like an 8 without going the 8.
FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
Turbos are the worlds best muffler.
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Here is my $ .02.....

I have only been in and driven ONE 3800 SCII fiero. I gotta say that it was very impressive in both performance and sound.... When it was idling, it sounded for all the world like a v8 was in there.... When you were driving the car it sounded rather docile but when you put your foot in it, it has this primal, wicked screaming roar from the supercharger and whatever else is back there.... Gotta say I loved it.... And man did that car freakin' haul ass!!! I am always a fan of a v8, especially the 5.0 motors with mods and flowmaster mufflers but this is something different and after I rode in it and then drove it, I really like the way it sounds. I also love the fact that there is a blower involved, pretty cool man.... peace

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2010 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
The video is crappy, but its an exhaust thread, so....

BobJones97

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobJones97Send a Private Message to BobJones97Direct Link to This Post
I know this is an old thread that got resurrected, but I certainly hope no one decides not to do the 3800 swap just because of exhaust sound worries.

I'm sure there are better options, but I was VERY happy with the Dynomax Turbo mufflers I had on my Grand Prix GTP. Minor complaint with a drone inside while on the highway but nothing a bit of Dynamat wouldn't fix. However, it sounded INCREDIBLE from outside the car--at both idle, and WOT acceleration to ~6k or so.

There's nothing to prove with the SBC/Flowmaster combo--everyone knows that sound. I'd prefer something unique(ish) that still sounds angry as hell with the right exhaust.
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
I know that this is a 3800 thread but I have to say that my 2.8 after the mods to the pipes were done sounds bad a$$ to me. This is straight pipes from each bank. One for each side

What you think?

------------------
1984 Indy Pace car #64 Parade car #4 1985 Fiero GT 4speed
1986 Fiero GT 1997 Supercharged GTP
2005 Cobalt with a twist

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
sabooo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for saboooSend a Private Message to saboooDirect Link to This Post
Here's a ride along of a few miles of country driving in my 3800sc. N* intake quieted down that rasp quite a bit. SS AutoChrome Headers, Magnaflow muffler, C6 tips. Sorry, not much WOT, but I tried to give a little bit of everything throttle wise.

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
Out Bonnevill has a 3800 NA and I like the way the exhaust sounds on it. As we left a grocery store yesterday a Mustang went by us with a rather loud exhaust. I hope it was a 6 because to me it sounded like crud. My wife even looked at me and commected that she didn't like the way it sounded, she prefered the sound of our car.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 09-12-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2010 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:
Out Bonnevill has a 3800 NA and I like the way the exhaust sounds on it. As we left a grocery store yesterday a Mustang went by us with a rather loud exhaust. I hope it was a 6 because to me it sounded like crud. My wife even looked at me and commected that she didn't like the way it sounded, she prefered the sound of our car.

The Ford firing order doesn't lend itself to particularly great sounding exhaust most of the time. But they are distinct. It's easy to tell when a Mustang is around. Unless they swapped in an LSx or SBC of course. :P
deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sabooo:

Here's a ride along of a few miles of country driving in my 3800sc. N* intake quieted down that rasp quite a bit. SS AutoChrome Headers, Magnaflow muffler, C6 tips. Sorry, not much WOT, but I tried to give a little bit of everything throttle wise.

That sounds great!!

Do you happen to have the Magnaflow part#

Joe 1320

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post
What the heck..... here's a badazz 3.8 turbo. billet roller cam, lots of other mods too.

------------------
Competition Yellow 84 2.5 Bone stock right down to electrical gremlins.
87 328 GTB replica.

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I have a new video in my signature.

------------------
10.5@134 3800 turbo 88 coupe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5li6oojNCIM

Ultimate 3800 swap thread

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 09-12-2010).]

sabooo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for saboooSend a Private Message to saboooDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:

What you think?

I think that sounds great!
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Let me guess...you are under 21 years old? To those of us old enough to remember a muscle car, supercharger whine is not what I want to hear when I punch it. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just not my cup of tea.

Well I grew up in the 60's. My first car that I bought for myself was a 69 Z/28. Say what you want, I like the supercharger whine.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock