Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  How bad do the 3.8L's really sound??? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
How bad do the 3.8L's really sound??? by kawana
Started on: 11-11-2008 10:29 PM
Replies: 146
Last post by: solotwo on 09-12-2010 08:47 PM
kawana

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
im fine with loudness, its more the tone im asking about.
IP: Logged
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

kawana

2329 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by FieroGTguy:

http://vids.myspace.com/ind...ual&VideoID=33546584

I'm not claiming it sounds like a V8, but I love to hear it!

Greg

See, that sounds pretty nice to me, but its hard to tell for sure through a computer.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Emc209i:

Speaking of which- Jncomutt's new Turbo setup. Someone outside mistook the sound for the Mustang Cobra that was parked in the next bay.
http://www.viddler.com/expl...Fierofiend/videos/1/

Now THAT sounds good
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
That does sound good, what kind of setup is that??
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
No 6 cyl I ever heard sounds ' muscular ' for lack of a better term. Never had one go by that I thought " man that sounds badazz ". Rice guys get turned on by turbos, superchargers on 4 and 6 cyl cars. Sound, like beauty, is in the mind of the beholder. Personally NOTHING can duplicate the sound of a V8 sucking thru a 4 bbl or two. New Mustang V8s dont sound great, and even my Corvette with straight pipes sounded pretty lame. My small block Coronet with glass packs, 4 bbl and stock manifolds sound great to me. I even like to wind it out shifting manually just to listen to it.
squisher86SE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post
The video on myspace isn't bad, but is typical of a medium-grade exhaust on a 3.8. Lovely at idle, not bad at cruise and just meh at higher rpm.

The one on viddler sounds pretty f'n sweet really...

This by far is my favorite (not my car)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YfZ2Msn2Ig
fieroboom

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post
Shad0wguy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shad0wguySend a Private Message to Shad0wguyDirect Link to This Post
Whose interior is that! It's amazing!
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shad0wguy:

Whose interior is that! It's amazing!

Hehe, it's the same one from page 1, but flipped and with subtle Fiero amenities.... I love photo editing
Note the guages are pegged... Indication the image is flipped.
Winkie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

My 3800SC series III is loud and that's with a 3" in / dual 2 1/2" out Flowtech muffler AND two pair of Heddman Hot Tips resonator ends. . At idle it rumbles and at road load it quiets down to a rumble but at WOT all hell breaks loose. Like em loud then you'll like the sound of the 3800SC and as Darkhorizon has said its almost impossible to have a quiet exhaust on this engine with a modifed free flow swap exhaust. If you want it quiet only one system will provide it- a set of WCF headers with a CAT a muffler in the stock location, stock exhaust routing and with dual exhaust tips.. A guy in my club runs this system and its not very loud. Only one problem; this setup will zap some horsepower

Its not that quiet. When you get on it, it gets pretty loud. At idle with a spintec muffler it is pretty quiet. I personally like the sound of the car. It sounds good. At WOT i can't hear the exhaust anyway I can only hear the SC. IMO it doesn't matter what it sounds like. I have heard plenty of cars that sound worse. And its a blast to drive so it doesnt bother me to much. I may get a video of it for you.

Ryan

[This message has been edited by Winkie (edited 11-13-2008).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget the Vr-6 engine. BMWguru may have to chime in as to firing order though.
(I'd venture a guess it's somewhere between a straight 6 and a V6. Probably some really cool balance shaft setup to keep the engine vibration free)

Boxer engines (especially Porsche) are somewhat deceptive in sound. Porsche purposely engineered the watercooled boxer engines to sound air cooled. It's because of their heritage. From concept though, I think it's the most vibration free engine by design, isn't it?

Radial engines must have been cool. (Fiero concept, before it was called a Fiero) From what I've been told by a pilot though, they either leak oil, or they don't have any oil in them. (maybe that has something to do with them being classig airplanes, IDK)

PFF
System Bot
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post

You must be younger than 21 Deabioni.

Nope, 33. I'm just not into vehicles with loud, obnoxious exhausts.

Want to impress me? Show me what your car can do, not how much noise it can make.
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post11-13-2008 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
It's a joke. Read Jonathan's response to the video I posted.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 11-13-2008).]

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-13-2008 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Emc209i

3091 posts
Member since Apr 2005

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Don't forget the Vr-6 engine. BMWguru may have to chime in as to firing order though.
(I'd venture a guess it's somewhere between a straight 6 and a V6. Probably some really cool balance shaft setup to keep the engine vibration free)

Read

The firing order is: 1, 5, 3, 6, 2, 4.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-13-2008 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Emc209i

3091 posts
Member since Apr 2005
0.o

Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post

It's a joke. Read Jonathan's response to the video I posted.

LOL, thanks for clarifying, as I didn't catch that!

We have a Mustang Cobra that drives up and down the streets of our town in a lower gear than necessary, just so he can hear the noise of his aftermarket exhaust as he accelerates and engine brakes. He must really be impressing himself with the noise his exhaust creates; but everyone else that hears that car, says that's the most annoying car that drives up and down our streets. (The driver appears to be in his late 30's, and must be still under the assumption that everyone who hears a loud exhaust, is impressed by the car).

[This message has been edited by Deabionni (edited 11-13-2008).]

justa6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justa6Send a Private Message to justa6Direct Link to This Post
i dunno, the 3800 supercharged sounds pretty good to me. listent to it when idling out of the garage, and that is with a smaller cam than it use to have
btw, this is not my car, it is PURPLEREIGNS car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcRVBVfpvKA
------------------

My Photography
My Designs
My Videos
87 Fiero GT 5-speed.
99 CSVT 5-speed. gone
98 Golf K2 5-speed 2.0
Minivan Drivers; they're good for fertilizer. Thats all.

[This message has been edited by justa6 (edited 11-13-2008).]

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-13-2008 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Same thing here, knew a guy in his late 20's with an open ended 5.0. He made SOOO much noise all the time, drove everyone up the wall. Cocky kid. When it come time to fix the engine (he dropped the hammer on the engine while a 200 shot NO2 was still flowing) he parked the car under a tree, hoisted the engine out by a tree branch, and then cut through the entire wiring harness with a pair of scissors. Needless to say, the car never ran again. Seems like the guys with the loudest exhaust, know the least about engine dynamics. Hence sbc envy...

anwalker

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for anwalkerSend a Private Message to anwalkerDirect Link to This Post
I actually ended up puttung a stock 5.7L f-body muffler on my car with a high flow cat in-line and I wouldnt say that Im in love with it but it certainlly is nice at idle and very quiet under acceleration. After hearing my dads Dyanomax Super Turbo exhaust I decided to go a different direction. Sure it probably robs some horses but I am not looking for another couple tenths in the quarter either. All in all very pleased!
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Alot of the "kids" in town that dont really know anything about cars, like my exhaust alot. REALLY cheap v-force flowmaster knockoff muffler.

Inside you REALLY dont care what it sounds like at wide open, its just loud, with blower whine. My friends magnaflow exhaust sounds pretty poopy outside at wot, but inside you dont care.
James Bondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James BondoSend a Private Message to James BondoDirect Link to This Post
The problem with the 3800 swaps is most owners utilize Flowmaster mufflers. The 3.8/Flowmaster combo is horrible to say the least. They are primarily tuned for V8's. I'll even go out on a limb and state I have the nicest sounding 3800SC swap going. My combo: West Coast Fiero Headers, 2 1/2" piping through a Dynomax Cat, into a Spintech x-flow muffler ( 2 1/2" inlet, 2" outlet), exiting through the original GT trumpets - for that stock look. It sounds just like a 2.8, but louder. Have a listen.

http://smg.photobucket.com/...t=FieroSoundClip.flv

The only thing that could top that is a nicely tuned V8.
PFF
System Bot
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bondo:
http://smg.photobucket.com/...t=FieroSoundClip.flv

That does sound quite nice, how high were you revving in there? Could you get a clip of you revving up to like 6k?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Boxer engines (especially Porsche) are somewhat deceptive in sound. Porsche purposely engineered the watercooled boxer engines to sound air cooled. It's because of their heritage. From concept though, I think it's the most vibration free engine by design, isn't it?

Radial engines must have been cool. (Fiero concept, before it was called a Fiero) From what I've been told by a pilot though, they either leak oil, or they don't have any oil in them. (maybe that has something to do with them being classig airplanes, IDK)

When I managed a local airport here in Ohio, theres was a local company that made the foam seats for Toyota (YUSA I think). Every nite Kallita Air Freight flew in and out 1/2 dozen times to pick them up and take them to Tn I think where they built the car/truck. They flew Beech Super 18s and DC3s with radials. each one of them flew around with a 55 gal drum of oil and a hand pump so they could top off every landing.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 11-14-2008).]

James Bondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James BondoSend a Private Message to James BondoDirect Link to This Post
Don't have a high rpm blip clip. Revving about 3K there, at the most. The car is loud though once you open it up. It's my wife's car, and I can hear the car almost two blocks away as she drive's off to work, and I know for a fact that she winds it out to about 5K on the one-two shift; I'm sure it rattles everyone's windows.

Originally posted by kawana:

That does sound quite nice, how high were you revving in there? Could you get a clip of you revving up to like 6k?

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silentassassin185:Coming straight out of a spintech muffler at the time. Sounds a little more civilized with the tips on it now. More directional less reverberations into the cab.

How long ago did you have the swap done? What engine are you using?

I like the deep moan of my 3800 N/A under acceleration.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002

kawana:... what would it sound like if you each cyl. bank had its own exhaust system, like instead of both sides joining up. Im not thinking of doing this, im just curious what it would do to the sound... probably sound like ass :P

From https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-1-056533.html

"I know for a fact is uses a Crower Cam that John put in, no idea on specs - hell, the last time I rode in the car was something like June of '97 for the Knott's Berry farm show, picked up the car down at Fiero Motorsports which has been gone for years. Knowing John, it more than likely has head work, port matching, etc... I do know that at one time ( possibly still does ) had true dual exhaust with no crossover, sounded like a Geo Metro on crack and I believe that we successfully talked him into changing it."
Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:
How long ago did you have the swap done? What engine are you using?
I like the deep moan of my 3800 N/A under acceleration.

link Just a couple months ago. Its got a Series2 L67 not to much done to it but its a blast.

Weather here has been crap (cold and rainy) so no new video yet but I'll get some tomorrow for sure weather permitting.

[This message has been edited by Silentassassin185 (edited 11-14-2008).]

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
We have had a 2.8, 4.9, 4.9 turbo, 4.6 northstar trubo, 3800 S/C all in the same fiero. The 3800 s/c worked very well but was not as enjoyable to drive IMO because it sounded lame and drony. We also now have a 4th Gen Firebird with a 3800 N/A with performance exhaust and it too sounds like crap. I am going to put the stock exhaust back on it so I don't here the engine anymore. All that you have heard about crappy sounding 3800 IMO is true. I have mistaken a 3800 S/C fiero for what sounded like someone over-reving a dump truck....nasty. But like I said it does push a fiero very well.

Pete

------------------

Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

We have had a 2.8, 4.9, 4.9 turbo, 4.6 northstar trubo, 3800 S/C all in the same fiero. The 3800 s/c worked very well but was not as enjoyable to drive IMO because it sounded lame and drony. We also now have a 4th Gen Firebird with a 3800 N/A with performance exhaust and it too sounds like crap. I am going to put the stock exhaust back on it so I don't here the engine anymore. All that you have heard about crappy sounding 3800 IMO is true. I have mistaken a 3800 S/C fiero for what sounded like someone over-reving a dump truck....nasty. But like I said it does push a fiero very well.

Pete
Ah but 3800 S/C was in front of an auto trans. I think it sounds much better with a manual trans.

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Id never run it with an auto trans, for a daily driver, i wouldn't want more than 300-350hp, which is right around what the F40 6spd is rated for. Still not sure im in love with the sound, hopefully someone will throw up some new videos.. ive seen pretty much all the videos out there :P
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kawana:

Id never run it with an auto trans, for a daily driver, i wouldn't want more than 300-350hp, which is right around what the F40 6spd is rated for. Still not sure im in love with the sound, hopefully someone will throw up some new videos.. ive seen pretty much all the videos out there :P

You really dont know if you would want an auto or not... I hate people that say "its just not fun without a manual"... just because its true when your talking about stupid stock fiero 10hp motors.
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I wish I had a good sound clip of mine. 3800t sounds amazing...
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

You really dont know if you would want an auto or not... I hate people that say "its just not fun without a manual"... just because its true when your talking about stupid stock fiero 10hp motors.

Im sure its not as bad as your average automatic car thats setup to be a nice smooth ride, but i just prefer manual over auto. I think autos are kind of lazy i guess.
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
In my opinion there are better sounding motors. All is forgiven as soon as your foot goes to the floor. I want one.

It is an ideal motor for the Fiero. What other car can you drive where you can run mid 13s and still get 32-36 mpg. - And it will go around corners better than most cars today with only minor suspension mods. I don't know of another car that can do all that.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Emc209i- You took my comment out of context. Anyone is free to enjoy whatever engine they prefer. I simply stated that most people old ebough to remember real muscle cars are not going to prefer supercharger whine.

If you are 16 and you prefer a big block V8 more power to you. If you are 50 and want a supercharged 90 deg V6 no problem.
It's just my opinion that the 90 deg V6 sounds like @ss and mostly that's inherent in it's design and can't be corrected. The stock Fiero motor sounds 100 times better in my humble opinion.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
When you see Honda Civics running in the 7's with the pop pop riceburner+ turbocharger sound, it becomes evident that the speed is more important than the sound.
I don't give two sh*ts if my 3800SC sounds like a Vespa scooter. The main thing is being victorious and seeing the opposition in the rear view mirror. That's the main objective.
With a Flowtech Afterburner muffler and 3" head pipe my 3800SC is fairly loud. It doesn't sound like a V8 but it surely rumbles. The Heddman Hot Tips resonators seem to give it a deeper sound. Not raspy, just deeper in tone than before.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by justa6:

i dunno, the 3800 supercharged sounds pretty good to me. listent to it when idling out of the garage, and that is with a smaller cam than it use to have
btw, this is not my car, it is PURPLEREIGNS car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcRVBVfpvKA

This is no knock on that Fiero, as it looks and goes fantastic, but I wouldn't be happy driving it.

We all look for different "turn-ons" with our toys, and I've never particularly cared for the whine of a supercharger on a V6. At WOT it sounds more like an electric motor to me. Add to the fact it's an automatic, well... different strokes for different folks.

Gimme a V8 and a manual tranny any day. Yes, I'm a dinosaur... and proud of it.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-15-2008).]

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Is there nothing that can be done to make them sound better, even if its costly? Not that id want to spend alot of money just to change the sound, but theoretically, is there anything that can be done?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Really big speakers that play the sound of a V8 instead.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
lol, like this?? I mean more like some crazy exhaust work, stuff like that...

[This message has been edited by kawana (edited 11-15-2008).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock