Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  I broke a piece off my $@#&*! tranny (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
I broke a piece off my $@#&*! tranny by mattwa
Started on: 12-23-2009 02:36 AM
Replies: 47
Last post by: mattwa on 01-19-2010 12:49 AM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I was mating up my 3.4 and my 4T60, and there was a gap that i couldn't fix, i think because the mounts are not right. So i tried putting in a bolt and tighten it and see if that would fix it. Bad idea. Very bad idea.

Can I weld this or use JB weld, or am I screwed?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Nosferatu187

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nosferatu187Send a Private Message to Nosferatu187Direct Link to This Post
I wouldn't use JB Weld on that but you're not screwed. FedEx managed to crack my transaxle during shipping. I took it to a place that repairs boilers and commercial A/C units. $50 and 2 days later they had it repaired.

It won't win any car shows but it's held up fine, no problems.

Mike

Dementia

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DementiaSend a Private Message to DementiaDirect Link to This Post
Your mount may not be off. I've seen this a few times on other cars where they didn't have the converter all the way dropped in. Therefore not letting the motor & trans mate flush. I dont think jb weld gonna get it done nor would i trust it. Go see someone who can weld aluminum or get a new trans.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
How hard is it to weld Aluminum?
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
I agree yout torque converter was not seated all the way, they can be a hassle to get on.

Take it and have it TIG welded by a pro. It shouldnt cost too much, but JB weld is not going to do anything for it.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

I agree yout torque converter was not seated all the way, they can be a hassle to get on.

Take it and have it TIG welded by a pro. It shouldnt cost too much, but JB weld is not going to do anything for it.

Ok, dumb question, but how do you seat it all the way?
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroDirect Link to This Post
Sine it is broken right by the doll pin, my guess would be you didn't have it lined up, or it was too tight a fit.

Like everyone else has said. Find some one who can weld aluminum decent. It is not something you can do if you have no idea how to do it. JB weld would not be strong enough, it would only be good if you wanted it to look complete.

[This message has been edited by LitebulbwithaFiero (edited 12-23-2009).]

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Ok, dumb question, but how do you seat it all the way?

Wiggle it and rotate it while pushing it on till it drops in that extra half an inch ! Took me half an hour to get the last one i did seated. You will know when it drops !

[This message has been edited by Mike Gonzalez (edited 12-23-2009).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Hey, what do you guys think about this product?
http://durafix.com/index.html
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

TAKE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL WELDER!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

TAKE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL WELDER!

No. I'm doing it myself.
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Your issue will be that the broken off piece is what precisely locates the engine and tranny centerlines (1 of the 2 locating dowel pins). When you repair it, you could easily cause a mis-alignment that could lead to premature wear in the torque converter, flexplate, input seal or crankshaft bearings. Since it is an auto tranny, you might be able to get by with a repair, but on a manual tranny, I would junk the case.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

No. I'm doing it myself.

If you plan on fixing it yourself, then you need to buy yourself a welder with a kit that allows you to weld aluminum. I suggest against getting a straight flux core (because of the thickness of the metal) and go with one that uses gas.

This is a VERY critical piece in the transmission to ensure it's lined up. I don't want to be a jerk, but the only RIGHT way to do this is to have it welded. And unless you plan on buying all the welding equipment and teaching yourself to weld (you won't learn in a weekend, or a month for that matter), then you're just going to ruin all the hard work you've put into this.

This is one of those moments where you have to make the correct decision, or kick yourself (a lot) later on when you realize that you've trashed the transmission, and the crank bearings because the motor was being torqued in a weird direction.

Don't be cheap. You can have a shop do this for under $100 bucks...

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Properly done, brazing can be stronger than welding. Racing bicycles (such as Lance Armstrong would use) are brazed, not welded. That's because they're made of thin wall high tempered tubing, and the heat of welding would destroy the temper.
I repaired some side rails to my grandkids' bunkbeds with brazing. From the factory, the cross braces on the tubes were welded, and the welds broke from the kids leaning on the rails. I repaired them with nickel-sliver brazing rods (tensile strength 85000 psi), and it has held against the kids' abuse.
Edit: If you do decide to braze, do it with this, not Durafix.

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 12-23-2009).]

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
The last (OK, only) time I mated the duke to the th125 tranny it took me about three hours and several attempts to get them to mate. In the end I put a wrench on the engine pulley and used it to turn the crank/torque converter back and forth to help the splines align. Slipped right in.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 12-23-2009).]

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
Matt,

We have all been here before. Its something you will learn from. But as stated you cannot cuts corners here. You will need to have that piece welded by someone who can weld aluminum. Welding aluminum takes a lot of skill and is not something you will be able to pick up in a day or so.

On the bright side I have had things like this fixed many times before. You would not believe how often I will get a car in with light front end damage and the transmission mount broke off the case, or the motor mount broke off the block. Most of time I can have them fixed in the car.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

How hard is it to weld Aluminum?

Seriously, take it to a professional. Welding steel, and welding Aluminum are different. I know from experience. this is not an area you want to "practice" on.

I can weld aluminum, and I have "professional" training on it, however I would not weld that myself, I would instead take it to someone that does it professionally.

Just my .02¢.

Brad

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post

If done right this stuff would probably work, but I don't think I'd do it. I used a similar product to put a new trigger guard on a trigger frame and it worked great.
Just pay someone to do some real welding for you.
eph_kay

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayDirect Link to This Post
I had problems with this too doing my 3800 swap, didn't get it close enough to try tightening it down though... The trick I used, which you can't do with a clutch which is just as hard, is you put the torque converter in the transmission and get it set, then put it on the engine "aim" one bolt hole so it lines up, then crank the engine over by hand and get the other two bolts.

Hope that works for the 60 degrees too

Chris
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

No. I'm doing it myself.

Unless you are an expert at welding aluminum, I would think twice about that... Or are you being sarcastic…

There are just some things that are better off left to the professionals... As others have mentioned, this part of your trans is not something you want to mucky-mouse to work (temporarily)...

I know professional welders who weld all sorts of intricate steel parts of various sizes who would not attempt to weld a critical aluminum piece. Welding aluminum takes years of practice to master. Sure, there are allot of welders that would weld up a small bracket of some sort. But when it comes to certified (or whatever you want to call a precision weld) aluminum weld, there are not many that can/will do it...

Just my 2 cents...
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

Unless you are an expert at welding aluminum, I would think twice about that... Or are you being sarcastic…

There are just some things that are better off left to the professionals... As others have mentioned, this part of your trans is not something you want to mucky-mouse to work (temporarily)...

I know professional welders who weld all sorts of intricate steel parts of various sizes who would not attempt to weld a critical aluminum piece. Welding aluminum takes years of practice to master. Sure, there are allot of welders that would weld up a small bracket of some sort. But when it comes to certified (or whatever you want to call a precision weld) aluminum weld, there are not many that can/will do it...

Just my 2 cents...

So I guess if I can't find someone, I'm screwed, time for a new case. Which is just GREAT. I hate cars.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-24-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

So I guess if I can't find someone, I'm screwed, time for a new case. Which is just GREAT. I hate cars.

look up welding in the yellow pages in your area ..there should be at least several that can tig that back together ..its really no big deal to have it tigged. I have had cracked trans before several times and was able to weld it up, no sweat. You could even have one come and do it on site but it will most likely cost you about $150.00 possibly cheaper

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 12-24-2009).]

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 04:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Erik

5625 posts
Member since Jul 2002

Originally posted by Nosferatu187:

I wouldn't use JB Weld on that but you're not screwed. FedEx managed to crack my transaxle during shipping. I took it to a place that repairs boilers and commercial A/C units. $50 and 2 days later they had it repaired.
It won't win any car shows but it's held up fine, no problems.

Mike

Yep a boilerworks is a good choice, they are professional and can weld up about anything

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Erik

5625 posts
Member since Jul 2002

I was mating up my 3.4 and my 4T60, and there was a gap that i couldn't fix, i think because the mounts are not right. So i tried putting in a bolt and tighten it and see if that would fix it. Bad idea. Very bad idea.

Can I weld this or use JB weld, or am I screwed?

I would take the piece put it back in place with the trans snugged up to the engine, tack weld the broken piece to the trans, then run a bead of weld along the crack. That way it will not warp and will be sure to fit.

Nosferatu187

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nosferatu187Send a Private Message to Nosferatu187Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

I would take the piece put it back in place with the trans snugged up to the engine, tack weld the broken piece to the trans, then run a bead of weld along the crack. That way it will not warp and will be sure to fit.

This ^^^^

That's really your best bet if you can find a way for someone to repair it while it's bolted to the engine. That's exactly what I would do if it was mine. Aluminum is tricky to repair, it takes experience and the proper equipment. I see you live in Cleveland, there should be lots of boiler repair places that you can take it to. Call around, I bet you can find someone that can repair it for you.

Mike
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nosferatu187:

This ^^^^

That's really your best bet if you can find a way for someone to repair it while it's bolted to the engine. That's exactly what I would do if it was mine. Aluminum is tricky to repair, it takes experience and the proper equipment. I see you live in Cleveland, there should be lots of boiler repair places that you can take it to. Call around, I bet you can find someone that can repair it for you.

Mike

Will do after the holidays!
pro street dave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pro street daveSend a Private Message to pro street daveDirect Link to This Post
I would take it to a Profesional.
Dementia

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DementiaSend a Private Message to DementiaDirect Link to This Post
Did you rebuild that trans or do any internal work to it for your swap? I bet its a minimum $75 to weld it up. Theres an older gentlemen that runs a trans repair shop up the road from me who doesn't think what he has is worth a million bucks. I bought a 4t60 for $75. I can see if he may have another one. Chris
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-24-2009 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
First off...sorry to see what happened. We have all broken something important before.

Everyone has some great advice here. It would be very wise to take it to a pro. Two things that I want to add/ask. 1. Did you tighten the engine and transmission down on the mounts before mating the two pieces together? 2. Is that dowel pin really that rusty, or is it just the pic? It looks like there are witness marks where it may be binding while trying to go in. You should go back and mic the hole and the pin. You can use a bit of emery clothe to clean the pin and the hole up. Just don't take too much off. That is a structural area.

Merry Christmas!

Tony
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
Make sure that the engine / trans fits together before trying to force it in :P, should come together fairly nicely, Otherwise you have a problem with the converter not being installed all the way, or the shaft not being fully seated / aligned.

------------------

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dementia:

Did you rebuild that trans or do any internal work to it for your swap? I bet its a minimum $75 to weld it up. Theres an older gentlemen that runs a trans repair shop up the road from me who doesn't think what he has is worth a million bucks. I bought a 4t60 for $75. I can see if he may have another one. Chris

Yes, I rebuilt that trans, its nearly brand new inside now.

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

First off...sorry to see what happened. We have all broken something important before.

Everyone has some great advice here. It would be very wise to take it to a pro. Two things that I want to add/ask. 1. Did you tighten the engine and transmission down on the mounts before mating the two pieces together? 2. Is that dowel pin really that rusty, or is it just the pic? It looks like there are witness marks where it may be binding while trying to go in. You should go back and mic the hole and the pin. You can use a bit of emery clothe to clean the pin and the hole up. Just don't take too much off. That is a structural area.

Merry Christmas!

Tony

1.No I did not it was free to move. 2.No its not rusty, it just has old oil/grease on it.
Merry Christmas too all!
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
This is a VERY critical piece in the transmission to ensure it's lined up.

I don't know that I agree. Yes, the dowel pins do line it up but me thinks it just lines up the bolt holes. Once all the bolts are tight it should be aligned plenty good. Heck, I'd say he could forget about it, it should still be fine. There are what(?), five other bolts securing the tranny to the engine. No different if he forgot to put one in.
I do agree it would be better to get 'er fixed right.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

I don't know that I agree. Yes, the dowel pins do line it up but me thinks it just lines up the bolt holes. Once all the bolts are tight it should be aligned plenty good. Heck, I'd say he could forget about it, it should still be fine. There are what(?), five other bolts securing the tranny to the engine. No different if he forgot to put one in.
I do agree it would be better to get 'er fixed right.

That's what I was wondering but i was afraid to ask because it would look like I was cutting corners. Yes there are five other bolts that hold it in. I mean, besides looking bad, why do I need that piece anyway (still going to fix it, just curious. Don't hurt me. )
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroDirect Link to This Post
Those two dowel pins do more work lining the engine and trans up then the bolts do. The dowels align them, and the bolts hold them together
02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Direct Link to This Post
If it were me I would get/borrow a set of torches and braze it on there when it's bolted together properly.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2009 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I just finished talking to the guy who helped me rebuild my trans (worked at a trans shop for 13 years), and he says he will take a look at it this week, but is doubtful the case can be saved because it broke at one of the locating dowel pins (like fieroguru said). *sighs* Guess I'm hunting for a new case.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2009 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

but is doubtful the case can be saved because it broke at one of the locating dowel pins (like fieroguru said). *sighs* Guess I'm hunting for a new case.

Never question a Guru!

Honestly it is in your best interest to find a new case. If you were to ever get your hands on blueprints for an engine or transmission you would see that the holes for the dowel pins are a tighter tolerance than any of the other holes becase they are what dictate the alignment. The bolt holes are of lesser tolerance because the just have to be close enough for the bolts to pass through.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2009 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I would personally let it ride... There have been a few situations where i have left out trans/motor bolts.

Get the glue out if you want it to look like it wasnt broken there.
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2009 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
Just based on a few of your posts I've seen in the past, you look pretty mechanically inclined (at least more than me) and I was able to try my hand at TIG welding last year and after a few months of practicing every few days I got the hang of it. Its not as easy as just using an aluminum spool gun on a regular Miller MIG welder, but if you really want to fix it yourself maybe look into a aluminum spool gun, or a TIG. Aluminum welding is a great skill to have. Or if you can find a new case, use that, practice your aluminum welding until you're confident, then fix the broken one and you'll have a spare.

BTW, I'm only 18 and yes, I understand that aluminum welding is tricky, but like everything else it just takes practice. After putting together an aluminum frame for a high school supermileage vehicle contest, I would trust my aluminum welding skills, if you're like me, I love having another skill that will help cut down on repair costs in the future. Just my two cents.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2009 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I would personally let it ride... There have been a few situations where i have left out trans/motor bolts.

Yes but have you ever left a dowel pin out?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock