Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Rode in a 1991 Quad 4 Frankenstien 2.3 / 2.4 M90 Supercharged.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Rode in a 1991 Quad 4 Frankenstien 2.3 / 2.4 M90 Supercharged. by TEXASGT
Started on: 08-27-2009 04:12 AM
Replies: 22
Last post by: topcat on 08-29-2009 09:07 PM
TEXASGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
User Banned

Report this Post08-27-2009 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post
Anyone seen this set up. Quad 4 with a M90 boltedd on! It was way way faster than any 3.8 SC fiero I've been in. Kid is a local guy in Houston who built the thing himself. Dyno and tuned by my guy. All I can say was H0LY S#!T.

He is a pic (not the same car but same set up)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-27-2009 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post
This is my next fiero project!
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
Looks very cool. It would be "way way faster" than any 3.8SC that I have been in too. (that's because I have not been in any cars with a 3.8SC... LOL )

Charlie

Shad0wguy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shad0wguySend a Private Message to Shad0wguyDirect Link to This Post
Someone on the Grand Am Owners Club has a 95 gt with a quad 4 that he modified to fit the 2.4l supercharger onto. Its a fast little number.
Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCDirect Link to This Post
When ACE was still around, they had a turbo kit for a quad 4 that bosted numbers high than the 3.8SC. The quad 4 is supposed to be very durable.

Now, it looks like they are building Sprint Chassis
www.acechassisco.com
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
I wonder how that would compare with the Cobalt SS super charged motor. Something I have been thinking about - and looking for a wrecked Cobalt SS......... I like it! This is exactly the type of setup I want to put in the XTC.
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
I think that is an M45 but either way, the Quads do take well to boost. The Eco tech is just a block of iron milled for pistons and crank and seem to be even more durable.

I've been thinking of getting an HHR SS to play with.

Edit: Apparently the Eco Tech block is aluminum as pointed out below and not iron.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 08-27-2009).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
There are tons of these kits out there.... it was basically a gmpp kit but some other company made them.

I think those were gen2 m62 blowers with a custom housing and intake manifold as well. All custom cast type pieces.

No where near as fast as my stock 3800sc swap was, raced one in a grand am with this kit on it, complete joke honestly, and I raced something similar with a turbo that was in a 88 fiero coupe as well running twice the boost that the SC ones made, both stood no chance at all.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 08-27-2009).]

joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

The Eco tech is just a block of iron milled for pistons and crank and seem to be even more durable.

Err, actually the ecotec is an all aluminum motor. The bottom girdle is comprised of the whole bottom half of the motor as well as the main bearings and it is an extremely stout piece. And yes, they are a very durable motor that can take plenty of boost with no bottom end mods.

-Joe
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
The ECO is aluminum? I was staring at one and I swear it was iron. Learned something. I will correct that.
joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
Its hard to explain, Opel/Vauxhall I believe offers a 2.0 turbo version of the Ecotec that is an iron block, but thats not the 2.0 turbo version LK9 or LNF that we see in Saabs, HHRs, Cobalt SS, Sky redline, etc. Those motors are all aluminum, as well as the 2.2 L61 engine used in several GM cars since early 2000s.

So, basically if you were looking at an ecotec in an Opel or Vauxhall, it might have been iron, but Im pretty sure all Chevy, Saturn, Pontiacs have aluminum motors.

-Joe
PFF
System Bot
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joesfiero:

Its hard to explain, Opel/Vauxhall I believe offers a 2.0 turbo version of the Ecotec that is an iron block, but thats not the 2.0 turbo version LK9 or LNF that we see in Saabs, HHRs, Cobalt SS, Sky redline, etc. Those motors are all aluminum, as well as the 2.2 L61 engine used in several GM cars since early 2000s.

So, basically if you were looking at an ecotec in an Opel or Vauxhall, it might have been iron, but Im pretty sure all Chevy, Saturn, Pontiacs have aluminum motors.

-Joe

Ah, ok. Even back to the first ones here in the US? I should state I was talking about the NA version. I haven't seen a boosted version up close yet (well, enough to notice the block).

I still want one to play with!

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 08-27-2009).]

joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
Yes, unless I am wrong, the first ecotec in US made cars came in the 2000 or 2001 (cant remember) Saturn L series which is the L61 as stated above. That motor, the 2.2 NA Ecotec is used in so many cars nowadays that they are everywhere. I was a tech for Saturn back in 2003-2005 and worked on many of these things. Back when Saturn was still sending their techs to the training facility in Spring Hill Tennessee, I learned a lot about that motor.

I even had one for a while that had 6000 miles on it, customer drove through a deep puddle and bent a rod. Her insurance company replaced the motor and didnt want the core, so I took it home. I think I had about $130 in parts in it replacing the bent rod and all the other fun stuff that goes along with that. I always thought about swapping it into the Fiero, but ended up using the head for a friend's car and giving the block to another friend stupidly. I kick myself every once in a while for that.

-Joe
TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-27-2009 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post
Hold Up, this motor is a 2.3 / 2.4 frankenstien. Not about Eco's here! This also not a plug and play kit. It was custom made for the quad 4.

All I can say was this car was stupid fast. We killed a worked 2009 Mustang GT. We as I was riding along LOL!
joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
yeah, sorry for gettin off topic. Carry on

-Joe
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2009 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero38SC:

When ACE was still around, they had a turbo kit for a quad 4 that bosted numbers high than the 3.8SC. The quad 4 is supposed to be very durable.

Now, it looks like they are building Sprint Chassis
www.acechassisco.com

There's a reason ACE is no longer around......I owned a turbo quad 4 Fiero that they built and it was a big pile of crap (~10 years ago). I owned it for maybe 3 months and went through 3 turbos and blew several holes in a few valves because it was set up so poorly. I currently have another quad 4 Fiero (non-turbo) and would love to get it turbo'd properly or supercharged......when the old turbo quad 4 ran right it was pretty peppy (but it rarely ran right!).

Oh yeah....since I'm also waaaay off topic, the first ecotec's came in the 2000 Saturn Vue. I nabbed one from a junkyard sometime in 2000.....one of the pistons had a piece missing and I suspect the engine was just replaced under warranty and the old one junked (I found it in the trunk of an Oldsmobile). Paid $50 for it and wound up parting it out years later.

joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2009 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
[jumps back in off the topic]

The Saturn Vue did not come around until 2002, not 2000. And I just Wiki'd the L series and it debuted in 2000. Therefore I was correct before, the first US ecotec (in the same family we have now) came in the 2000 Saturn L series.

Also, any ecotec you found in a junkyard in 2000 I guarantee you was not a warrantied motor. They were so strict with those things even as late as 2005 when I got out of the game. If there was any internal damage of any kind, most of the time they sent a field engineer out and every motor was sent back to GM for inspection. You got a brand new engine, you gotta find out where the weak spots are.
[/back on topic]

-Joe

[This message has been edited by joesfiero (edited 08-28-2009).]

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2009 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Just to remain off topic, I went to Wikipedia which is the last and definitive word on anything in the known universe and beyond and the first Ecotec blocks were cast iron. I just want to protect my reputation for having never ever been wrong expect that one time when I thought I was but I wasn't.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2009 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

Just to remain off topic,

ROTF

Brad
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
There was a guy on this forum a few years back who went by the screen name of Bryson. He built an all out turbo 2.3L Quad four and blew it up on the first dyno run.
We haven't heard from him since.
On the other note; I sincerely doubt if a turbo quad four with only 2.3L's is going to be serious competiton to a 3800 that is much larger in displacement and built for boost.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

There was a guy on this forum a few years back who went by the screen name of Bryson. He built an all out turbo 2.3L Quad four and blew it up on the first dyno run.
We haven't heard from him since.
On the other note; I sincerely doubt if a turbo quad four with only 2.3L's is going to be serious competiton to a 3800 that is much larger in displacement and built for boost.

I've seen the car during build, and since then. It did not blow up during the first dyno, but when he was driving back to college several months later. The car threw a rod thru the side of the block. He did have some sort of issue during the first dyno, but it was not a blow up. He and his father has since rebuilt the engine, revamped the engine management and it is back on the road. Bryson has moved on and into other hobbies besides the Fiero, but his father still tinkers with it.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:

I've seen the car during build, and since then. It did not blow up during the first dyno, but when he was driving back to college several months later. The car threw a rod thru the side of the block. He did have some sort of issue during the first dyno, but it was not a blow up. He and his father has since rebuilt the engine, revamped the engine management and it is back on the road. Bryson has moved on and into other hobbies besides the Fiero, but his father still tinkers with it.

I recall reading here that Brysons Quad Four Fiero was blowing smoke on the dyno runs. If the engine failed several months later, then I stand corrected but the point is that it threw a rod and that says something. Since we have heard no news on the car in two years, we can only assume that the project was not a success. If someone wants a boosted four the Ecotec should work very nicely.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I recall reading here that Brysons Quad Four Fiero was blowing smoke on the dyno runs. If the engine failed several months later, then I stand corrected but the point is that it threw a rod and that says something. Since we have heard no news on the car in two years, we can only assume that the project was not a success. If someone wants a boosted four the Ecotec should work very nicely.

This thread isn't abut Bryson's car so I'll leave it alone, but when you assume you know what happens, right?

Notice the date on the pic? The pic was taken at a Myrtle Beach meet this year. The car is on the road.

[This message has been edited by topcat (edited 08-29-2009).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock