Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Route 50 by State - This month: Indiana (GAS is just 18 months away!)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Route 50 by State - This month: Indiana (GAS is just 18 months away!) by Just Say Go
Started on: 12-12-2008 06:35 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Old Lar on 12-21-2008 10:57 AM
Just Say Go

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2008 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoDirect Link to This Post
Okay, kids, it's time to talk about touring Indiana on Route 50. My excuse for posting this so late this month was my wedding & honeymoon.

After Cincinnati, 50 generally follows the Ohio River until Aurora, Indiana. Wulf Berg suggests in his book to have a picnic lunch on the riverbank. It's up to you guys if you want to take him up on that.

The next town of any significance is Versailles, then North Vernon, where Mr. Berg describes the confusion of "fast time" vs "slow time". Does anyone here know if they still have that?

In Bedford, we could visit Indiana Stone Works, which supplies limestone to places all over.

Preliminary plans have us in Bedford on Saturday, June 12, which would give us the opportunity to participate in the local cruise-in at the Kmart.

Other Indiana Highway 50 towns include Shoals, Loogootee and Washington.

Wulf Berg was quite impressed with Vincennes. He used 3 pages of his book to talk about it, including things like George Rogers Clark National Historic Park at the end of Sixth Street, Lincoln Memorial Bridge, and the Old Cathedral (1702). He recommended taking the city "architectural tour".

Wulf's book only has black & white pictures, and not a whole lot of them. Something that will be substantially different in "our" book.

- - - - - - - - - -

As stated in the thread title, the GAS event is now only 18 months away. Are you thinking about what part of the tour you might join? There is no registration, but why not get your name on the Participants List on the GAS website (click the logo in the sig below). You don't have to bring a Fiero, if you'd rather drive somethng else.

And get your GAS stickers, mugs, keychains and mousepads. Before supplies run out!

------------------

---------------------
The Fiero Store is the
exclusive sponsor of GAS

[This message has been edited by Just Say Go (edited 12-12-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2008 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Chuck,

I am planning on driving some of the route (in my blue GT). I also wanted to let you know that everyone is still invited to my house/shop for some sort of cookout. I'll cover the food. Everyone else just needs to show up. I live about 10 miles south of Route 50 in Illinois.
For anyone who has not seen it in person, my IMSA will be on display along with any other Fiero stuff I have. We wil have a good time.

------------------
Paul

For a full history of my IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway bars for ALL MODELS: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2008 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
awww Paul... take the yeller car... BTW, you still owe me a ride? or are we up to drive yet?
I had planned on picking up the route at a friends house... he lives just East of St. Louis

Chuck, I did not realize you had gotten hitched. Congrats sir, and may your future offer you happiness.

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2008 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest taking Indiana 450 from Bedford to Shoals, rather than going down 37 and then across 50. Major kickbutt driving road!!!
Actually, 50 from Bedford to Logootee is just a blast!
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2008 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I would suggest taking Indiana 450 from Bedford to Shoals, rather than going down 37 and then across 50. Major kickbutt driving road!!!

I agree. Much better.
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2008 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

R Runner

3678 posts
Member since Feb 2003

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

awww Paul... take the yeller car... BTW, you still owe me a ride? or are we up to drive yet?
I had planned on picking up the route at a friends house... he lives just East of St. Louis

Chuck, I did not realize you had gotten hitched. Congrats sir, and may your future offer you happiness.

We might take it down the street a couple of times to stretch its wings. I don't want to promise anything since it may rain or something.

[This message has been edited by R Runner (edited 12-12-2008).]

Just Say Go

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2008 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Noted. I'm looking at 450 on a map, and it looks awesome!

Paul, I haven't forgotten your offer. Thanks for bringing it up here, tho. Just gotta settle on the date & the number of attendees, when the time draws nearer.

Blake: thank you, kind sir.
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2008 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
Well the slow time / fast time no long exist. Most of the state is on EST and changes to EDST when everybody else does, except for some counties close to Chicago/IL which would be on Central time. I went to school in Aurora and know some history of the area. Lawrenceburg, the first town in IN, was home to Seagrams Distillary ( Seagrams 7) and they were one of a few legal distillaries during proabition. Think they had a different name though. In 1937 the levee broke and flooded the town and most of the residents had to sit on their roofs to be rescued. Aurora got its name from a river captain that wanted a name that came before Rising Sun, which is the next town down the river, Aurora Borialis. If you make a right in Aurora onto IN 350 you'll go to Milan which the movie Hoosiers was made after. Also Aurora has the oldest fair in the state. Well enough on the history. I would like to learn more on this GAS cruise ,I take it to be.

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

Just Say Go

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2008 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lilchief:

... I would like to learn more on this GAS cruise

It started when I was leading CFOG-i and receiving requests for a Route 66 tour. I started working on a trip on the Mother Road, but as you know, it's fractured into little pieces now. And since it isn't coast to coast, a lot of Fiero owners east of the Mississippi River would be excluded from such an event. I can't remember where first I heard about Route 50, but it's everything we remember about 66, plus it's continuous and goes 3,000 miles across the US. So I decided on a relay event, like passing the Olympic Torch. The year 2010 was set because 2008 already had the 25th anniversary event, 2009 was too soon after that to expect people to travel long distances again, so bingo... 2010.

My regular username is Cheever3000, but Cliff let me take on the name of my LLC for promotion of this. I started by posting some "teasers" here...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum7/HTML/000164.html

Later I purchased some banner ads here on PFF. One of them was noticed by someone who started talking about it here...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/064653.html

I got a divorce last year and moved to Tallahassee early this year, so GAS (stands for Go And Show) was put on the back burner. Life has settled a little, so I'm getting back to this, starting with monthly topics on the different states the tour will pass through...
Maryland & DC
Virginia
West Virginia
Ohio
And now Indiana.

These discussions will shape some of the plans for the tour, regarding dates, overnight stops, and the things we will do & see.

There isn't much information about Route 50 on the Internet and certainly not in the bookstores, so my dream is for us to document this into something others will want to see and read about. The least we can do is make more help available to others who want to consider such a trip.

I hope this answered some questions. Click the logo for the event website. It needs a little updating, but I'll get to that before much longer.

------------------

---------------------
The Fiero Store is the
exclusive sponsor of GAS

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post12-13-2008 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Just Say Go:

Noted. I'm looking at 450 on a map, and it looks awesome!

Paul, I haven't forgotten your offer. Thanks for bringing it up here, tho. Just gotta settle on the date & the number of attendees, when the time draws nearer.

Blake: thank you, kind sir.

Yes, 450 is a popular route down there. Just watch for ice, it is winter
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
Several summers ago my wife and I were coming from Evansville to the Muncie area and we took 450 from 50 up to Bedford. My wife doesn't mind me driving the Fiero fast on the twisties, and we came up on a Celica that was also enjoying the road. Problem was, he was slowing us down! Everytime I would go to pass, he would block! I eventually got him on the inside on a sharp right hairpin, I kept right on his tail and forced him into the corner too hard and caused him to push out. The look on his face was priceless, and he absolutely had no chance of keeping up after that.

PFF
System Bot
Just Say Go

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2008 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoDirect Link to This Post
A little bump in case anyone hasn't seen it yet.

R Runner - a PM has been sent.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2008 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking seriouly about making the trip, but probably not in a Fiero. Too long a haul for my old bones in a two seater. I've been on Rt 50 during my travels, but to do the complete cross country trip, I'd want a larger car to pack more stuff.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock