Started on: 11-06-2008 10:13 PM
Replies: 54
Last post by: MstangsBware on 01-10-2009 09:01 PM
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2008 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
This Thread was supposed to be started about 3 weeks ago but I just finally got up to Ohio to get the parts. I bought a unfinshed project from a member on here(MulletproofMonk) that had almost all the parts to complete a 3800SC swap into a Fiero. Left yeterday morning from Texas to head to Ohio to pick up the parts then turn around and come straight back, made the trip in about 26 hours total. Got to meet 2 funny Forum members(MulletproofMonk/Maxxis) and had a good time the hour or so we where they just talking. The parts are going into an 87 GT and consist of:

02 L-67/65E with 34K
FieroFlyer harness
PR mounts
99 up Alt Low Mount
Darth PCM
Walrbro fuel pump

I got a little done of the swap today like cleaning/painting the cradle, removing the old bushing and tearing unneeded parts off the motor and pressure washing it. Took a few pictures but not really alot to see but I will post then anyways. Tomorrow I will be mounting the motor/trans on the cradle, cleaning up the topend, adding the engine harness and the low mount if everything goes right. Going to try to have this swap done by the 19th but it may not happen. Here are a few pictures:
The motor as I picked it up:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Cradle cleaned up and one layer of paint:

FieroFlyer harness and Darth PCM

PR Mounts:

[This message has been edited by MstangsBware (edited 12-28-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
slinger

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2008 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerDirect Link to This Post
DCRFiero1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2008 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Sweet! I am so excitied, I am finally getting a 3800SC Fiero. Cant wait to see more.

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2008 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Got some more work done on the swap this evening. Had some issue with the mounts not lining up but I expected this problem being every set I have used from PR have not lined up. Got that issue worked out and they fit fine now so the motor/trans in now mounted on the cradle. I added the PR low mount to the engine so I cold see how it is going to work out. Then got the harness stretched out and start putting it on the engine and connecting plugs.

2 pictures of the motor/trans on the cradle with harness being installed:

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
i got a set of pisa tillights off of mulletproofmonk i must say hes good for what hes got good sale went over smoothley fit very niceley till i ran the passenger side light over that me and back on holiday have since repaired but looks like a nice se up you got.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Hey Poe... looks nice...
I hate it though when you have to click on photo icons, instead of just seeing the pics...

I might have to change my (+) for you to a (-) for that.

hey... uh, you gotta link to the thread of your deer this season...? I saw the pic in the lopsided thread... that is one NICE buck... if you had a thread, I wanted to read it...

nevermind... found it:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...060328.html#lastpost

[This message has been edited by blakeinspace (edited 11-08-2008).]

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
oh i see how it is now. you've been working on your LS4 swap over a year and not finished.
you start this 3800SC swap and it's almost done.
$$$ is the driving motivation, having someone pay you to do a swap over doing your own.
so you should sell me you LS4 and finished the swap in my car then we'll see you get an LS4 done. lol...

very nice work Stephen... to bad i don't want a 3800SC.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

oh i see how it is now. you've been working on your LS4 swap over a year and not finished.
you start this 3800SC swap and it's almost done.
$$$ is the driving motivation, having someone pay you to do a swap over doing your own.
so you should sell me you LS4 and finished the swap in my car then we'll see you get an LS4 done. lol...

very nice work Stephen... to bad i don't want a 3800SC.

I know I was thinking the same things. I am setting a goal to finish the LS4 by Feb. so look for it then. Hopefully I can get it done by then between other cars and the hunting season.

pumpkincarriage

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pumpkincarriageSend a Private Message to pumpkincarriageDirect Link to This Post
Then can you get started on building one of the 3.6 LLT engines for me? If you can just get the wiring ready and it all mounted on an 88 cradle that would be great, and I'm in no particular rush either
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Little update and some progress made today. Picked up the car Sunday morning and started tearing into it today to the point where the motor is out along with all the insualtion from the engine bay. Will be power washing the engine bay tomorrow, painting and then adding some new insulation.

87 GT

Bottoms up

Empty

Out

Should be wrapping up on getting the low mount finished up, fuel rails out back on engine, cut the SC tensioner/mounting and then complete getting the wiring on the engine snug. Exhaust parts are on there way and will consist of 3 inch mandrel bends, flex joint, high flow CAT, 80 series Flowmaster and Vette tips.

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
diggin that 2 tone
PFF
System Bot
DCRFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Yes, the 2 different shades of red, pink and silver really bring the car together. She may look like crap but at least she will run good.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DCRFiero1:

Yes, the 2 different shades of red, pink and silver really bring the car together. She may look like crap but at least she will run good.

aeeeeeeeeeeeeemen

DCRFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Bump for updates.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2008 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Bump the Thread for updates but no pictures till tomrrow night. Alot done today but nothing that would really show with pictures. More details with pictures to come tomorrow night.
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2008 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post
Just curious, where do these things keep giving you issues ??
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2008 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PURPLE REIGN:

Just curious, where do these things keep giving you issues ??

Like I said nothing major but still issues that keep them from being plug/play and requiring extra work. These are issues that have nothing to do with mounting to the cradle either.

Engine mount:

Engine Mount up close:

Trans mount:

Custom84cp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2008 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom84cpSend a Private Message to Custom84cpDirect Link to This Post
Poe, do you ever sleep??
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2008 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom84cp:

Poe, do you ever sleep??

Yeah--I sleep now and then but seems like there is always something to do.

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2008 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

MstangsBware

11509 posts
Member since Mar 2002
Update for the day with some pictures. Got the the harness mounted where it will stay on the engine, completed the low mount and added both belts, cut and mounted the MAP bracket/EGR heat shield, installed Rodney Dickman cradle bushings(nice) and prepped front manifold to be swapped out tomorrow.

Tomorrow the stock fuel rails will get re-shaped, add trans lines, cut trunk out, paint engine bay and add engine insualtion then test fit the engine.

Engine as it will look installed:

Engine showing Alt low mount using 99 up Alt:

[This message has been edited by MstangsBware (edited 11-18-2008).]

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2008 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post
Well, nice to see you got to working on it... How far you have gotten in just a few days makes me wish I had done it... However, it's good to see the swap being done rather then sitting in the back of my garage... Perhaps someday I'll get back to it...

It was awesome to meet you Stephen, although Madess and I are still shocked by that long drive you guys made. Looking forward to hearing that thing run. Not sure about that pink car though... Ricers beware! LOL =)

-Brian
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2008 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

Well, nice to see you got to working on it... How far you have gotten in just a few days makes me wish I had done it... However, it's good to see the swap being done rather then sitting in the back of my garage... Perhaps someday I'll get back to it...

It was awesome to meet you Stephen, although Madess and I are still shocked by that long drive you guys made. Looking forward to hearing that thing run. Not sure about that pink car though... Ricers beware! LOL =)

-Brian

It was good meeting you and Madess also and would have been nice to be able to stay longer and shoot the shiz with yall. Maybe one day I will make it back up that way and stop by for another visit. Or if you want a 3800 swap done you can bring the parts and car to me and I can make it happen for you for also less then most.

The motor/trans will be going in the car Sunday night if everything goes well. I still have to make the Pass axle and put all the suspenion back on the car also along with swapping out the fuel pump and building the exhaust for it. Not alot left to do, just finding the time to get it done with all that is going on.

DCRFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2008 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Bumping for updates. Almost done!
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2008 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DCRFiero1:

Bumping for updates. Almost done!

Nothing to really update as of now--Had to do a cam gear on an 87 Coupe over the last 2 days but it is done and out of the shop now. A friend had to pull his motor and replace with a used one today so the shop was being used. He will be done with that job proabally Friday so your car will go back in to be finished up. It want be much longer on getting it complete and back to you.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2008 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Well I went all last week not getting anything done on the swap cause of other work and a friend using my shop. But today I took some time to clean the shop up and get the car back in the shop for some work. Here is a few pictures of what I got done:

Trunk Be-Gone:

First Test Fit:

Another Shot:

Everything is looking good except the DB bracket is to far to the right so I have to pull it off and do a little work to it. Will route the wiring harness the way I want it tomorrow and get it zip tied up. Then start connecting all the little things like fuel lines, coolant lines, ect.

DCRFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2008 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Looking good! Cant wait to drive it.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2008 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Nice!!! One thing that catches my eye is what seems to be red paint overspray on the lower part of the back window. Are you going to clean that up? A sharp razor blade should do quick work of it.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 12-03-2008).]

DCRFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2008 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Yeah I will be taking care of it. I dont know when. They way it looks is a little further down on the list of things to do. Next up is a complete suspension job.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2008 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Got some work done on the swap today but only took a few pictures being not alot has changed. Will get them uploaded and added to the Thread later. Dropped the tank to pull old pump out and add the new Walbro pump to supply plenty of fuel. Also changed out the fuel filter, cut the fuel lines and connected them for the fuel rails. Mounted the ICM/Coils down low and out of site and hooked up the ICM harness. The tranny lines also got hooked up on the Fiero side. Not to much left to do so should be wrapping the swap up soon.

Up off all 4s:

Fuel out of Filter--YUCK!!!

Old Filter:

New Walbro:

[This message has been edited by MstangsBware (edited 12-18-2008).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2008 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Time for an update but there are no pictures to go along with it, nothing really differant from the last pictures I posted. The suspension is back on the car, Pass side axle was built, swapped in the new radiator and modified the TB to work with the V-6 throttle cable. Tomorrow I will add the CAI to the engine, add all the fluids and then start of building the exhaust. The exhuast will be 3 inch mandrel into a Flowmaster then out thru some C-6 tips. I hope to have the exhaust comeplete by Tuesday and fire it up for the first time.

Shot of half the exhaust: Built in 28* weather--Very cold:

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2008 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Well I was hoping to have the car finished up by this week but the 3 days of freakish 28* weather slowed me down some. Added all fluids, hooked up battery, put in PCM and gave the key a turn today. After a few sputters and tries the car came to life and is a few more days away from getting it's first road test. Still have to wrap the intake, build shift cable bracket and button up a few more little things to have it complete.

Install as of today:

PFF
System Bot
DCRFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2008 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Lookin good. Glad to hear the engine started. Just cant wait to drive it, it is killing me. It is too bad about the horribly cold weather, I knew it would slow down progress a bit. Shame we are about to get some more cold weather later this week. Hopefully not to bad.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2008 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
looks good Stephen...

Here's a tip, don't forget to install the dogbone. (There's no charge for that advice)
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2008 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

looks good Stephen...

Here's a tip, don't forget to install the dogbone. (There's no charge for that advice)

I will once I catch the dog and pull the bone out I plan on using.
sorefeet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2008 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sorefeetSend a Private Message to sorefeetDirect Link to This Post
i like the alt bracket, how much does that run? swap looks good man, cant wait to do mine.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2008 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see that the car started and looking forward to see some videos of it running... Wish I had done it...

-Brian
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2008 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

Glad to see that the car started and looking forward to see some videos of it running... Wish I had done it...

-Brian

I got a short video of the start up on the car but only sent it to the owner of the car. Once the swap is 100% complete I will take some video and post it in the Thread. When you get ready to have a swap done, drop me a PM and we can work out a deal.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2008 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

MstangsBware

11509 posts
Member since Mar 2002
Getting very close to being completed on the swap. All that is left is to put the modded A/C lines on, charge the system,get exhuaust completed and then put some miles on it before it goes back to the owner. I wrapped up a few little things over the past fews days like the intake, dogbone, shift cable bracket and selector arm. Today I took the car for it's first short trip to check for leak, temps, ect so it has offically moved under its own will with the new setup installed. Had one leak from the trans side stock fitting that needed the O-ring replaced in it, what a pain trying to get it all apart and then back together under the car. But I got the O-ring replaced, the leak fixed and that problem is solved. Tomorrow evening it will get another test run to check to insure everything else is up to par on the setup. Will be going to the exhaust shop Friday to have the outlets to tips ran and hangers added to complete the exhuast.
White88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2008 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White88GTSend a Private Message to White88GTDirect Link to This Post
Geez man you are slow.......I hope the car is at least faster than you are at doing this swap. Give me a call if you think you will be home on Friday, maybe I could make it out to take a ride and finish those damn ball joints. Seriously though after seeing it (and hearing it) in person, it is a very nicely done swap and I am sure the owner will be quite satisfied with his new pink rocket.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2008 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by White88GT:

Geez man you are slow.......I hope the car is at least faster than you are at doing this swap. Give me a call if you think you will be home on Friday, maybe I could make it out to take a ride and finish those damn ball joints. Seriously though after seeing it (and hearing it) in person, it is a very nicely done swap and I am sure the owner will be quite satisfied with his new pink rocket.

Not as slow as that V-8 88 GT you have in the garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You better get to bed or Santa Claus is not going to bring you any presents and might even make a certain 65E trans disappear.

I will be here Friday--Come out if you want, Steve R. will be over also.

[This message has been edited by MstangsBware (edited 12-25-2008).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock