Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  ROAD TRIP to purchase a 88GT from South Carolina! (10 pics)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

ROAD TRIP to purchase a 88GT from South Carolina! (10 pics) by Back On Holiday
Started on: 09-28-2008 02:06 PM
Replies: 35
Last post by: Back On Holiday on 10-04-2008 04:20 PM
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
Friday Night 1130pm Pontiackid86 and I went with my dad to Pickup an 88GT from CoryFiero in Charleston, SC - 1300miles round trip and worth it!

Some "South of the Border" Pics... (the NC/SC state line)

Pics of the Car upon pickup:

Pics of the car down the road, filling tires with Air... Pontiackid86 and my dad did this while my pea-sized bladder was running into the gas station to pi$$

Found an Interesting "Chain" of gas stations called Cooter....

from this point on, we traveled North up rt 17 towards Conway to pickup a F355 (I think) front Fascia for Pontiackid86 that he saw on craigslist, I neglected to take a picture of it - i'm only assuming its because I was so involved with my own purchase (or maybe because PK was holding it the entire way home like it was his lover and a pic would be NSFW )

We stopped 20 miles from the NC/VA state line for the night around 7:30pm and headed home at 5:30am and arrived around 12 noon today. Here are pics of my new 88GT in my driveway!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtDirect Link to This Post
Way to go,dude!

All in all,it looks like a great car to work with. Sounds like you bought it cheap,too!.

Looks like it was a fun road trip.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
bojenagles f***** me up iv never had the s*its so bad
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
ouch, 3.71? gas out here is at 3.11 for the cheapest ive found.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT built by my brother, merlot566jka, 3500 LX9 from 06 Malibu, WOT-TECH.com 1280 grind stage 3 cam, LS6 valve springs, 1227730 ECM conversion, Darrel Morse solid aluminum cradle mounts, Truleo headers modified to fit the 3500, 36# inectors, 70mm 4.3 throttle body adapted to 3500 intake, ported heads, upper and lower intakes, lightly polished, tcemotorsports.com crank trigger wheel, CenterForce dual friction clutch, Flowtech Afterburner muffler, 2.5" piping, cat deleted, EGR deleted, SinisterPerformance tuning, C6 Corvette exhaust tips. projected to be 35 MPG with a guesstimate of 250 hp at the motor

JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Good score.

Looks like you need another set of my sails.

------------------

Sail Panel Window Alternative https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/043053.html
My best advice when it comes to your Fiero is to "NOT" do any dealings with www.kitcarman.com
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-1-061575.html <~ The drama with kitcarman
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/078336.html <~ finishing and fixing kitcarmans mess
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079860.html <~ re-do after kitcarmans motor blew up.

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Back On Holiday:

Friday Night 1130pm Pontiackid86 and I went with my dad to Pickup an 88GT from CoryFiero in Charleston, SC - 1300miles round trip and worth it!

Pics of the Car upon pickup:

About what time did you take these pics? You were nearly across the street from where I work... well maybe a mile and a half. And I drove my Fiero to work this past weekend.

I could have taken a late or early lunch to meet up with a few other Fiero-fanatics.

Sorry to see that Cory let it go...
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
we got there at like 12:00 i think damn it was a long drive
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008
ps the driveway pic i see my old sale pannels
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I was just returnig from lunch. Just missed you!
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

bojenagles f***** me up iv never had the s*its so bad

Since you loved Bojangles so much, I did a little photoshop just for you.... btw I told you not to drink the fountain sodas!

Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Back On Holiday

6238 posts
Member since Jul 2001

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

ouch, 3.71? gas out here is at 3.11 for the cheapest ive found.

3.35-355 back home here, 3.53 cheapest in Virginia that we saw, we actually paid 3.85 once... had no choice

Originally posted by JimmyS:

Good score.
Looks like you need another set of my sails.

Possibly down the road, i'm still in debt for this but I could not pass this up.

Originally posted by topcat:
About what time did you take these pics? You were nearly across the street from where I work... well maybe a mile and a half. And I drove my Fiero to work this past weekend.
I could have taken a late or early lunch to meet up with a few other Fiero-fanatics.
Sorry to see that Cory let it go...

Was that your red Fiero at the Tire place next door? Cory wasnt sure who it was, and figured I normally would have ran over and said hello but my bladder was about to burst from all the pepsi I drank.

PFF
System Bot
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Nice score. What does the spousal unit think of another Fiero at the house? Mine would probably blow a gasket.
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Nice score. What does the spousal unit think of another Fiero at the house? Mine would probably blow a gasket.

Pi$$ed off, I had to tell her beforehand. Now, she has calmed down... thankfully that was in part to an early birthday present today that arrived by UPS (a bunch of halloween stuff since shes a halloween nut) and the fact that the car looks good (not multiple colors or looks like crap)
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
What's the plan for this sweet a$$ car? I wish I had waited to try and find an 88 when I bought my 86.
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Was that your red Fiero at the Tire place next door? Cory wasnt sure who it was, and figured I normally would have ran over and said hello but my bladder was about to burst from all the pepsi I drank.

No, my only Fiero is Indigo Blue. The plate says SUPRCHG.
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

What's the plan for this sweet a$$ car? I wish I had waited to try and find an 88 when I bought my 86.

He's gonna trade it to me for my 88 notchie aren't ya Andrew lol

btw, whos the girl in the photochop pic? Should I refrain from any perverted comments?

[This message has been edited by Xerces_Blackthorne (edited 09-29-2008).]

Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Not sure right now, probably going to keep it stock as possible for the meantime, Cory or the previous owner did alot of work to it and it looks pretty sweet.
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Back On Holiday

6238 posts
Member since Jul 2001

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

He's gonna trade it to me for my 88 notchie aren't ya Andrew lol

btw, whos the girl in the photochop pic? Should I refrain from any perverted comments?

NO WAY IN H3LL

the girl = google images... notice she has no bottom.... look through the glass
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Care to share how much you paid? Nice find. How did you find it? E-bay? Classified? Through a friends info? Let us know...

Kevin
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
So why didn't you drive it back? Blown engine?

When I bought my '87 project coupe for less than a grand 3 years ago, the owner drove it from Michigan to Kansas. I had to pay was for gas used delivering the Fiero & the driver's bus fare back. Plus the car had a 3800 V6 and a 4T60 tranny.

Details at https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/052684.html

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 09-30-2008).]

Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kevin:

Care to share how much you paid? Nice find. How did you find it? E-bay? Classified? Through a friends info? Let us know...

Kevin

Bought it from CoryFiero in the Mall for $600, included Fiero1fan headlight buckets, has a brand new alternator and battery, crossdrilled rotors, interior is almost all new including dynamat, and a few odd things I have yet to pull out of the car and post.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/044032.html

Originally posted by 30+mpg:
When I bought my '87 project coupe for less than a grand 3 years ago, the owner drove it from Michigan to Kansas. I had to pay was for gas used delivering the Fiero & the driver's bus fare back. Plus the car had a 3800 V6 and a 4T60 tranny.

Cory advertised the car as "rough rough shape" I expected to find a pile of junk when we got there, both Rick (pontiackid86) and I were "WOW" that looks nice! it needs some work and some TLC but his Discription "rough rough shape" should have said; Nice GT needs some work!

Cory thinks the 5 speed getrag trans went bad, started smoking. I couldnt resist digging into the car this afternoon and did some investigating things, I did find that the D/S rear brake caliber might be seized (p/s rear ok) the exhaust system is shot - muffler and tips just hanging there, Previous owner to Cory was Eric who installed a straight pipe(no cat) and its about the only thing barely on there... anyway onto the pics!

My son taking the lugnuts and the tires off the rear:

DR side Wheelwell pics

PS wheelwell pics

Engine compartment

Under the car pics (dont mind the fat body under there looking at the camera)

front gastank view:

Things I found when using the search function with Corys help (about this cars previous owner before him)

this is just copied and pasted from a few threads about the engines build, not sure about any of it.
3.2 rebuild
-Federal Mogul hypereutectic pistons
-ported heads
-ported intake and exhaust manifolds
-GM hipo. cam 427 lift 454 exhaust
-high performance valve job
-stiffer valve springs
-Rocker arms are new 1.5 ratio units.

Engine has aprox 100k on it since rebuild
clutch line replaced 9 years ago, along with slave and master cyl (if they havent been replaced since then)

Front end lowered 1inch

thats all I can remember/know at this point. The Previous owner to Cory was Eric from Columbus OH
PFF
System Bot
Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
I think I know which car this is! Think I was looking at it myself before CoryFiero got it...

Can't wait to get down there again and see it in person, looks to be a nice find...I'm still a bit surprised though that Barbie didn't decide to do a homestyle "hernia" operation on the other side after you got it lol...
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

I think I know which car this is! Think I was looking at it myself before CoryFiero got it...

Can't wait to get down there again and see it in person, looks to be a nice find...I'm still a bit surprised though that Barbie didn't decide to do a homestyle "hernia" operation on the other side after you got it lol...

I had to bribe her with halloween decorations
Mytime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I think I saw you guys on Sunday as you were going across the Conowingo dam on Rt 1. Must've been about 10:30-11:00. I wondered if it was someone on the forum. At least I guess it was you. How many black Fieros on dollies do you see in a day.
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mytime:

Hey, I think I saw you guys on Sunday as you were going across the Conowingo dam on Rt 1. Must've been about 10:30-11:00. I wondered if it was someone on the forum. At least I guess it was you. How many black Fieros on dollies do you see in a day.

That was us!, green expedition - we went that way to avoid that rediculous I-95 bridge toll. One of the highlights of the trip is seeing that beat up pink GT sitting in that used car place further up rt 1 (they're doing bridge work in front of the place).

You would not believe the amount of attention the Black Fiero brought to other drivers as we were hauling it back

[This message has been edited by Back On Holiday (edited 10-01-2008).]

Mytime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post
I know the GT you're talking about. It's been sitting there for awhile now. At least two other forum members know it's there also. It's amazing how you can pick them out. Those things are like magnets.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

Nah. Trailer queen!!! LOL! Nice pick.

Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:
Nah. Trailer queen!!! LOL! Nice pick.

are you talking about the GT or Pontiackid86 inflating the tires?

ok, some work today... the left rear caliper was frozen on, bad enuf that the smoke cory saw "Could" have been the brakes and not the Getrag (crosses fingers) Both hubs turn freely now (w/o the left rear caliber on) autozone's website nailed me for $97 for a reman'd one I'll get monday - found out that you can drop off cores at their local stores to save shipping cost (plus faster ) once I get the new one on, test time to see if the car moves.
heres some pics: First, after I sprayed the bolts down with Liq Wrench... still snapped 2 3/8 extensions(cheap china ones) trying to free up the caliper bolts using my 3/8 hardened T55 socket, took the 3/4 inch bolts off that hold the front part and rear brackets on, then went to Lowes to see if I could get a hardened 1/2 to 3/8 socket, got one that wasnt hardened and on a whim decided to run over to Pep boys to see what kinda stuff they had... I picked up some hardened set of conversion stuff for $18, and a Hardened T55 in 1/2 size (WOOT!) including tax paid $26 for all of it. Had to put the T55 on the 1/2 breaker bar and use a pipe, but they eventually came loose.. I was happy

pic of 1/2 T55 and Wrench:

Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
You shoulda called me before ordering that caliper...I coulda gotten a Cardone reman. for you for just over half the price of what Autozone charged ya...I love my cash account with Auto Part International

Gonna try and get down there this weekend, got some cash (not paypal lol) for you for the fiberglass...will hafta give you the fabric money mid next week when UC check comes in...

Edit to note that when taking off calipers, an air ratchet works wonders

[This message has been edited by Xerces_Blackthorne (edited 10-01-2008).]

Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

You shoulda called me before ordering that caliper...I coulda gotten a Cardone reman. for you for just over half the price of what Autozone charged ya...I love my cash account with Auto Part International

Gonna try and get down there this weekend, got some cash (not paypal lol) for you for the fiberglass...will hafta give you the fabric money mid next week when UC check comes in...

Edit to note that when taking off calipers, an air ratchet works wonders

Bah! - those calipers were on there so tight, i've had an easier time removing strut bolts I toyed with the idea of the impact gun, but there is no room to get in there.
Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Thats why I mentioned the air ratchet...works wonders for taking those damn caliper bolts out with the torx bit...1/2 inch drive with 40-50 psi and they break free right away...I speak from first hand experience Did the fronts on my car this way back in July...

I think Advance has a decent Pro Tools air ratchet up here for something like $40 I could pick up in the future if you would like...better than the crap they have at Harbor Freight...

Edited to add link to similar product: Air Ratchet

[This message has been edited by Xerces_Blackthorne (edited 10-01-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Thats why I mentioned the air ratchet...works wonders for taking those damn caliper bolts out with the torx bit...1/2 inch drive with 40-50 psi and they break free right away...I speak from first hand experience Did the fronts on my car this way back in July...

I think Advance has a decent Pro Tools air ratchet up here for something like $40 I could pick up in the future if you would like...better than the crap they have at Harbor Freight...

Edited to add link to similar product: Air Ratchet

Not right now, I hardly use air tools, usuallly use my drills, but eventually I will be running the pressurized tubing from the Air compressor in the back so I have access points throughout the garage, oh and add electrical and insulation etc... I have all the materials, just havent gotten to it yet.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2008 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Since you loved Bojangles so much, I did a little photoshop just for you.... btw I told you not to drink the fountain sodas!

f** you and your f***in bojengles and ya thats my new chick haha
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2008 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008

nothin wrong with an 86 thats what i got and i got the lowest miles out of me andrew and brian hahaha

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2008 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008

That was us!, green expedition - we went that way to avoid that rediculous I-95 bridge toll. One of the highlights of the trip is seeing that beat up pink GT sitting in that used car place further up rt 1 (they're doing bridge work in front of the place).

You would not believe the amount of attention the Black Fiero brought to other drivers as we were hauling it back

im gona see about pickin up that pink one that thing is the ****

Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2008 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

f** you and your f***in bojengles and ya thats my new chick haha

out of the entire photoshop, I think the funniest thing is your license plate

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock