Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  #64 Indy Build Thread 56k beware tons of photos (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
#64 Indy Build Thread 56k beware tons of photos by Fiero Thomas
Started on: 10-22-2007 12:40 PM
Replies: 115
Last post by: KEV on 04-08-2009 08:08 PM
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Here are the first photos that were taken from her when she got here. The car need alot of cosmetic work you will see in the photos. I can not paint anything till next year as it is to cold and about the only thing that I can tackle is working on the inside. The owner was a smoker and the smell needs to go. So today all the seats and stuff are coming out. I will be honest I had a hard time sleeping on this one but think that it is better for booth cars and owners for what we were looking for. So here are the photos to start. I will have more up later as I start to tear into the car. I have alot to learn about hte 84 model year and it starts today.

Day 2

So here is where it begins and it might be the last day for the year that I could work on her as it is getting cold and yest I have an Pneumonia that is not making it any easy towork on her. I did not want to be admitted so I am on tons of good stuff. So here we go

Here are the wheels you can see that they are pretty bad. I just wanted to start the cleaning and nothing to deep yet. I am going to repaint them so I will strip them when I do the whole car.

It has all the badges and they are correct. I have the decales on the way

Here is the passanger side floor the way that I got it.

After a good shampoo the carpet came out great. I am happy with it. Here are a few shots

The seats were the wrong ones in the car when I got it. I took them out and put my better seats in it for now till I can get some Mr.Mikes to fill the void

Here is the door after a good cleaning with a magic eraser and shampoo on the carpet. The map pockets are not there so I will have to find them.

Here is one wheel after a 10 min scrub down. I have to take the wheels off to do a good job and get into all the nocks and crannies

Here is that wheel at the start

Drivers Floor

Forgot to take a clean photo but it is as good as the other floor. Here are the pillers. THey were bad. You can see the stuff dripping down them. Have no idea what it was but after a magic eraser was taken to it, it all looks new for the most part

Here you can see that the wheel and shifter need to be recovered. Funny thing about the sheel however that it is diffrent then all the other Fiero wheels. There are indents on where your thumbs go into the wheel. They are much deeper then the GT wheels and is very comforting. Puts you in a race mode with the way your hands sit on the wheel. If you see an Indy try it out. I will try to get a photo up of what I am takling about.

All cleaned up and smoke smell gone. I need to put a headliner in and that I will do down the road. The black dot is a fly.

How we looking??

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
88 Formula T-Top C+C # 1239 of 1252, Build Digit 26,224 of 26,402
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Very nice!!

how is it running? I've spent three years working on mine just to get it running right. I can just now start focusing on the cosmetics. Keep us posted and I like the pics!!!

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
She runs quite well. I was very suprised. It does not have all the ticks that the duke has. It has a hooker header on it and a new exaust but I can not tell witch one it is though.

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:

She runs quite well. I was very suprised.

Yeah you got lucky... My Indy only had about 5,000 on a re-build. The only problem is the rebuild was about 8 years before I bought it. Most everything else bolted to the engine was in need of replacement. These are almost 25 year old cars, so if it hasn't yet been replaced at least once, it's going to need it soon.
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
I might have some crazy questions along the way as I have not had a duke.

Does yours shift hard and the collext this is does it have the indentaions for your thumbs on the streering wheel? I think that it is more comfortable then my GT wheel with them there.

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
You're doing great....keep up the good work. Man I want an Indy.....
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

I might have some crazy questions along the way as I have not had a duke.

Does yours shift hard and the collext this is does it have the indentaions for your thumbs on the streering wheel?

The Indy steering wheel should look just like the GT steering wheel, (except the color). I think some of these cars along the way got the wrong steering wheel in them which confuses things.

My Indy does shift hard. I don't know if that's normal for all 84 muncies, but my car failed inspection because the inspector couldn't drive it on the dyno. I finally had to take it to another shop that did the two speed idle instead.
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Not much today done with the car. Lubed up the doors and adjusted the rear hatch as the lock was not tight when closed so it ratteled alot. Took her for a short drive and I am very supprised how well it runs. It runs better then most dukes that I have been it and better then my first dule with half the milage on her. She needs a crossmember however. There is a hole in it so it pulls to the right. Here are some photos from under the hood. This is with no cleaning. The fan system is strange looking. Its not the same as any fiero that I have had. You will see in the photos.

After a good cleaning it should shine well. Maby I will et to it this weekend. If it is to cold then NO NO NO...lol

Here is the fan setup. Strange to me. It is missing one of the caps on the motor for the headlight and looks like the lights themselfs are new

Close up of the fan system

Needs a radiator cap. Looks like another new light.

Jack and Tire look in good shape still. Everything is there

Protection Plan sticer is still in the window. Thinking about leaving it there as it must have been put there when the original owner bought her.

I like the decklid vent on the back. She needs paint and wondering about the water getting in there as it is opennear the top.

Thats all for today

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

ohioindy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyDirect Link to This Post
Looks good...or should I say better

Glad to see some body is saving an Indy
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2007 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Got the new crossmember for the car tosay as the one on the car has a whole in it. I need to replace the torsion bard in the back as they are cracked. They are a pain to get off so I am looking for some help to get it done. The best way is to take the rear deck lid off and protect the window in the back. I have driven her a little bit and the hard shifting is no more. It seaed to do it one day and now it shifts very smooth. After looking through the front end I found that the whole front end is done in poly. So I will reuse the Poly when I rebuild the front end. All the parts are going to be blasted and painted as I go along. I have a little spray booth now to paint in and bake them in so all will be well there. The goal is to make her look as new as posable parts sean or not. I found the original seats for the car but the owner wants 600.00 for them and they have two holes in them. I am going to get Mr Mikes Letheretts for the car. Should have them on order in the next week or two. I have started to clean the motor and found that there was a major oil leak that was there at one time. It does not leak at all now but this oil was never cleaned up. She was running hot and found that the thermostat was in upside down as well. Now that it is correct it run very cool and does not heat up at all.

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2007 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohioindy:

Glad to see some body is saving an Indy

I resemble that remark... My deal fell through so not only am I not trading my car to the crusher, I'm not selling it either. So I guess I have to finish the restoration.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2007 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
OK Lets start the question round.

1. are the seats Light gray or white? The color should match the wheel and shifter. I am going to order the Mr Mikes but want to make sure that I am spot on.

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2007 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

OK Lets start the question round.

1. are the seats Light gray or white?

Light gray... they appear white in over-exposed photographs.

Just so you know...Mr Mike's makes an all leather seat that resembles an Indy seat. Unless you buy the original red fabric you can't get him to make an Indy seat.
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2007 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Cool I just sent him an email about getting these

http://www.mrmikes.com/fieroindy.htm

and extra fabric to get the shifter recovered and the stering wheel.

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2007 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Those look good, just be aware that they are not the original design... a purist would be a little disappointed.
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2007 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
That I do know, its about the only short cut for now that I am willing to take. If I can find a good deal on some seats then I will go for it for sure.

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Just a few photos for today. Does it look like the front springs are cut? I think that they are.

Anybody have some free center caps for the wheels you can send????

I have also noticed that the tail light lenses are much darler then the one on my formula. Are they supposed to have darker lenses in the back?

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

[This message has been edited by Fiero Thomas (edited 11-07-2007).]

ohioindy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyDirect Link to This Post

Yours does seem to sit lower than normal

[This message has been edited by ohioindy (edited 11-10-2007).]

CenTexIndy

Feedback score:    (32)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post
Here are some different angles for you:

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
It does look like they may have been cut then. I think that the tail lights might be tinted as well as they are black on the outside.

Question for the pureests. Super duty valve cover yes or no?????
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

It does look like they may have been cut then. I think that the tail lights might be tinted as well as they are black on the outside.

Depends on the air cleaner, but I'd be leaning towards 'yes'
PFF
System Bot
CenTexIndy

Feedback score:    (32)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post

Purists will say "No" as that is not how it rolled off the production line and onto the show room floor.

But I think it would be a good alternative if you are not going for a 100% stock restoration.
ohioindy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyDirect Link to This Post

paced84

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Direct Link to This Post
I know some of the purist may not like this, but its my personel choice. Thanks goes to Fred Bartemeyer for the custom air cleaner. He went above and beyond on what I asked for. Original snorkle. All lights strobe as on Indy #1. All I need now are original Indy wheels.

(signature) my Indy with #1 at IMS

------------------

signature by F-I-E-R-O

[This message has been edited by paced84 (edited 11-07-2007).]

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Nice ride. All of them. I am not down with the wheel but doing the strobes on the car were one thing that I wanted to add. Where did you get them?
paced84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Direct Link to This Post
Acually I received a phone call some 5 years ago and the fellow said he had found it in the basement of a home he just moved into. Wanted to know if I was interested. You know the answer. It had never been on a car and was still in primer with all lights and wireing. I did have to convert the two wire system to three wire in order to purchase power supplys at a reasonable price as power supplys for two wire were not available and to costly if one could find them. I also aquired a second one from Pontiac about 4 years ago but sold that to a friend with an Indy after he bugged me for some time. They are no longer available, but there is a snorkle on e-bay. Here is a photo of club menber who added lights to his after market snorkle. The lighting system was custom made by another club member.

------------------

signature by F-I-E-R-O

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Well my camera finally died but it gave me a reason to get a new one. This is at night so here is the back, you can see how the tail lights are black.

I have been emailing with mr mike on the seats to see how close we can get. I have some good photos he sent me. I will keep an eye out for the inserts that are original.

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

SuperchargedV6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
Heeeey you need tips on that exhaust. I just noticed its the Formula type ends. Rick
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Ya I dont know what muffler is on it as well. Looks small but it is not that loud

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

ohioindy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyDirect Link to This Post

and extra fabric to get the shifter recovered and the stering wheel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohioindy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Saw these on there but it is a dead giveaway as the logo is on there. I also dont like the stiching down the center. I sent him an email to see if he can stich like OEM with cloth down the middle of it.

Time for some more photos.

Here is the car at its level to check and see if the springs were cut. These are better shots. She does look low in the front. I neew to swap out the front cross member so it will give me the chance to get her back up to where she belongs

Here are the tail lights. They are cloudy but they are black for sure

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
That fan is a two speed fan. I bought a fan switch for that fan, then my fan died. So I have a fan switch with about 15 min's on it if you need one.
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Here is where I am at this time. I have the drivers side off. I found the issues one the other side is that the weld that hold the top control arm the the crossmember is busted off. I could move the wheel about 2 inches from side to side. NOT GOOD. OK here are the photos. I am also doing this live on the fiero cam so you can log into paltalk and see what is going on.

here is the start

Poly Bushings

Here if you look closely this is the fed up side. you can see that the sleeve is not connected to the member

My son the helper

Spring compressor on

control arm bolts on there way out. Took some pounding

Upper off

All off side one

back out to the cold

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Thomas

4668 posts
Member since Jul 2005
Here is where the other side ends. I broke two bolts off and I am having an issue with another. My pops is going to help me out tomorrow to get the rest off the car.

my mess

and pardon my french but here is the prick part that is causing all this mess. The weld broke off

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

[This message has been edited by Fiero Thomas (edited 11-10-2007).]

h.d.fire

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for h.d.fireSend a Private Message to h.d.fireDirect Link to This Post
Hey Thomas!
WOW!! Looking good! Getting caught up on your build thread (I hadn't checked the "general chat" in a while). Car looks really great. If I can help in any way, let me know. If you need to check details, stop down anytime. Keep up the good work!
-Mike

------------------
84' Indy Pace Car (car #2000)
86' G.T.
Member: NIFE

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Mike. I will take you up on that offer for sure. I am new into the Indys but getting dirty. I am also building an indy go cart as well on the side.

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of original Indy Seats if you need them. $100 plus shipping and they're yours. A few rips in the leather which can be repaired by a good upholsterer but the all important red centers are un-damaged. I can shoot some pics if interested. Just PM me. I also have boat loads of other Indy parts.
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Yes I am intrested 100%.

pm sent
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2007 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
OK here are the images from last night with one light bulb in the pitch black. And oh ya I have a set of original indy seats on the way and NOT for 600.00. Thank you toddster

on with the show

My boys wanted to help out with the car. I have them wrenches and pointed at the bolts to take out and went for a coke. they were still at it when I came back

This is Joshua at work under the car taking off the front suports that atach to the bumper.

Here is ryan removing the bolts on top of the old crossmember.

And after a nice kick there she blows

And my dog Jackson giving his aproval. Now do you see the water. My son though it would be funny to soak me while under the car in the cold.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2007 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Yes I am intrested 100%.

pm sent

Here they are. Mr. Mike or any good upholsterer can replace that side panel. Otherwise, fair to decent for Indy seats.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock