Started on: 06-19-2006 10:19 AM
Replies: 93
Last post by: Amida on 09-22-2008 01:36 AM
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
I keep hitting walls with my 355 interior and want to get exactly what I want without totally breaking the bank. How difficult should it be to just make a one-off dash, console, and door panels? No molds so to speak. Just foam, wood, and other materials then glass over that. Any help from veteran fiberglass people would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Joe Torma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Hundred of hours into the dash here...might be an understatement too.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
That's what I was thinking. That's the kind of time I really don't have. I may just have to suck it up and sell a kidney to get the dash I'm really after.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
It is alot of time that goes into making anything, Let alone money as well. With the cost of supplies and opportunity cost of your time, it starts to get very pricy. Not to mention the whole "Learning Curve" that goes along with anything fiberglass.. haha.

Well I know thats not what you wanted to hear, but best of luck anyways!
Chase.

------------------

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
do you already know what you want? new dash or just new instrument cluster? do you have particluar guages you want? heat vents? HVAC controls? there have been a few threads about using a camaro/firebird dash. someone else is useing a GrandAm dash. there are the Cavalier digital instument clusters. Fiberglass is VERY tough at first, but once ya do some, you'll see a whole world of possibilties open up.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
I really want a nice 355 dash, console, and door panels. But what I'm running into is all of the things most of the kits don't come with can end up costing more than the kit itself. The vents for a 355 dash really caught me off guard. I haven't even begun to price the gauges yet. But I suppose one thing that would help is to know if, on the 355 dash, you can use vents from a different car and it still look at least similar to a 355's interior.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
as in Ferrari gauages?! yikes, I'd expect actual Ferrari stuff is a bit to pricey. I would suggest get some good clear pictures, and start looking for stuff that looks close, or at least the same basic style. many guages can be re-faced, to look how ya want. then, when you got the peices together, make a fiberglass shell/dash to mount the stuff into.
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
Some of the kits come with everything.... I'm not sure about the PISA one..
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to get gauges from Summit or Jegs. Not genuine Ferrari. But I don't even know where to start to look for vents similar to the 355's. PISA's dash is nice but not the look I'm going for. I really like the 355 interior.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post

whadeduck

8907 posts
Member since Jul 2004
The dash I really want is from Rob in Seattle. But great googly mooglies! His work is awesome. I just don't know if I can afford it.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:

The dash I really want is from Rob in Seattle. But great googly mooglies! His work is awesome. I just don't know if I can afford it.

Last time I talked to Rob he was very backed up anyway. Start saving up. Right now I have the SI interior but will probably use Rob's center console and maybe end up switching over to his entire interior. I'm using VDO Ferrari replica guages with the prancing horse on them. Actually, you can find factory 355 gauges on eBay very cheap from time to time but I figure trying to make them work on a Pontiac is not worth the hassle. The VDOs are not cheap but they cut down the work tons!

------------------

---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---

PFF
System Bot
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Anyone need a kidney? I may just have to do without for the time being until I can come up with the kind of cash needed for that kind of quality. Because of my time constraints, I'd order it complete. Including upholstery. That way, I'd pretty much just have to remove and replace panels. I know it's not quite that easy.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Whadeduck, I don't frequent the forum as much as I used to... What kind of car are you putting this in? Are you building a 355? If so, any pictures?
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Just an '88 coupe. But I'm switching and adding panels so it will look similar to a 355. Fiero Warehouse's nose, Dietmars side scoops and side skirts, fastback roof, Kenneth Hines' light panel, a mustang scoop on the decklid, Aus' lower door moldings from his stage II scoops and a Camaro lip spoiler. I'd post a pic but I'm at work and all of that's at home. Should look pretty cool when I'm done. I hope anyway.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good. I'll look forward to seeing it when it is done.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
I just don't want to have the stock Fiero interior on a car that's going to look the way I want it to. I'll post a picture of what I have so far when I get home tonight. I haven't finished redrawing the nose yet, but's it's getting there.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Seems like I remember now that you got Doug's nose a year or so ago... Is that right?

Have you considered something like the 200SX interior? I really like the look of it and would consider it for a modified Fiero body. Since I am building a 355 I am staying more true to the original design. I am using those expensive Ferrari vents in the dash that you mentioned, as well as tons of other real Ferrari parts. The trick to that is to watch eBay and spend three years doing it like I have.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking that's what I'll have to do. Yup, I'm the guy with Doug's 355 nose. Just about to get it to the point where I can actually mount it to the car. Puting Ferrari side markers on it to keep the side turn signals on it. When I finish, it'll be my little Ferrario.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post

whadeduck

8907 posts
Member since Jul 2004
Aside from the nose and needing some paint work, this is pretty much what I want the exterior of the car to look like.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Angel_Valentino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Angel_ValentinoSend a Private Message to Angel_ValentinoDirect Link to This Post
Who is Rob From Seattle? And can you post a link to his work please?
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
I'll have to wait until I get home tonight. I think all I have is his e-mail address though. He did send me some awesome pictures of his work though. It's costly, but it's in the category of getting what you pay for. I'm still trying to see how I can do it.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

PFF
System Bot
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
I was able to get home for lunch today. Wow! I got an e-mail from Rob and asked him about giving out his e-mail address and posting some pictures. I haven't got anything back yet. But I'll let y'all know. The guy does great work.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
fierointeriors@juno.com

I'm trying to find some pictures of his work but I can't find the DVD with those pictures on it. Someone else was working on a really great looking center heat/ac switch seatup for Rob's console. I don't know if they ever finished it or not.

I don't know how often Rob checks that e-mail but that is it...

**Pictures added**

Last I heard, Rob's kit was $2500 raw or $3900 upholstered. He has done a great job for a really finished look around the steering wheel and stuff. Add in the ac/heater setup if it was ever finished and you have a near original looking setup.

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 06-20-2006).]

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Songman

12496 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Rick at Kindgom Custom's also has a good looking setup for less money than Rob's. He gets $1500 unupholstered, but it will also accept the stock vents and stuff.

http://www.kingdomcustoms.com/products/ka004.shtml

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
I'll post some more pictures of Rob's stuff when I get a chance to go home. He told me that he was thinking about starting to offer it in an unfinished kit form too.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
This is just one of the reasons why making any kind of product for retail is a bad idea.... All these dashes... All looking very similar... I wonder who was the "original creator" of them. Knock offs make me sick. Makes me happy that cars like the plazma weren't mass produced.

Well best of luck on the dash!
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Well, the original creator was... Ferrari....

We are talking about replica 355 dashes so they would all look the same. There are lots of custom dashes out there too but that is not what we are talking about here.

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 06-20-2006).]

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Here we go. Here's an exmple of one he did for what's obviously a convertible.

Here's a good one of an unupholstered door panel. Good details I think.

And here's a good one showing the console.

While I don't know if I'd be able to afford it or not right now, to me, there's no question the man does excellent work.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Without a doubt the best replica 355 setup in the business... Now I just wish I was more comfortable with moving the gas tank for the flat floor conversion to make it really close to the original. But I like the gas tank right where it is so I guess I'll have to put up with that few extra inches of height on the console.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
There are differences. But that's actually what I'm looking for. My car will look similar to a 355 but have differences. The engine, for one, will be operating at only about 25% of the preferred horsepower level.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
I am using tons of Ferrari parts but of course people who know what to look for will still be able to tell. All of the Ferrari stuff is just cosmetic and really won't help the car perform any better... Lights, body panels, interior parts, etc... The stupid air bag steering wheel cost $1700 and will not even be functional! haha.

I should do okay in the performance area too. The tranny will be my weak point. The stock 355 is about 375 HP and I am rated at about 450 on mine. And the tubular custom wide track suspension, coilovers, and Wilwood brakes should keep it fairly close in handling... But I have no doubts that any 355 could still blow my doors off at will.. But then of course I can pass gas stations, afford insurance and maintenance, AND be able to drive my car on a daily basis without it falling apart.. Sounds like a fair trade to me... That is, I'll be able to do all of those things if I ever get all of these parts put together and on the road.
PFF
System Bot
mysticfire6602

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2006 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mysticfire6602Send a Private Message to mysticfire6602Direct Link to This Post

Here we go. Here's an exmple of one he did for what's obviously a convertible.

how the hell is that shifter possible? isnt the throw of the auto too long for a single side of a gate shifter?

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Probably. But I don't think that car's an automatic. He says that you need Rodney's euro shifter or something like it. Didn't even think to ask if he has something for an auto.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
No, that's an auto... Look, no clutch pedal... But if you use the sport shifter it shortens the throw, doesn't it?
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Sure is. Missed that. But I know someone offers a kit that makes the auto shifter look like a stick. Might be Rodney. But if the console is mounted low, it'll make the shifter look a lot taller.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post

And here's a good one showing the console.

Hey, where'd the pic of the center console come from? My memory is toast, I'm not sure if I've seen that one before... (Kitcar.ca?) I've only sent out a couple of the 355 HVAC panels, and I haven't heard from one of the guys yet.. Just wondering if it's his.

------------------
Bob Williams
Working on the next 3800 swap.. Missing the working one already!

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Don't know about his name, but there was a guy on kitcar.ca who made/makes those HVAC panels.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riceburner98:

Hey, where'd the pic of the center console come from? My memory is toast, I'm not sure if I've seen that one before... (Kitcar.ca?) I've only sent out a couple of the 355 HVAC panels, and I haven't heard from one of the guys yet.. Just wondering if it's his.

Are you the one that made those panels? If so, got any more? Gonna make any more? My car has the SI interior and I will either switch it to either the entire Fiero Conversions's (Rob's) interior, or at the very least, just the console. I gotta have me one of them panels!
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
If that is him and I rembember correctly from reading the little bit that I did, everything on the panel is made functional. That means you could ditch the stock controls.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2006 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
That's me... Still making them, I've been a bit "distracted" with the Diablo panels lately... Trying to order some custom-made LCD screens. So sweet.... LOL But yeah, the 355 panel there came out pretty well. Wish I had more $$ so I could have 1 355 replica with Rob's interior, and one Lambo replica with the Diablo interior! Both look awesome...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock