FDD-X1 digital dash by rjblaze
Started on: 05-02-2008 11:10 PM
Replies: 77
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 08-28-2008 05:27 AM
rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2008 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Hey Cliff, any chance you would be up to making some more FDD-X1 digital dashes? I finally got to see one and it looks like it was the best one out there for the price. Please....Please....Please......Please....I'm on my knees now!.......Please....Please....Please......LOL!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Cool! I get to post a pic of my dash again!

And in case you are wondering, yes, I already have a new steering wheel.

Seriously, I wish I had the time and space to make the dashboard again. It takes me about two days (which I don't have) to build one, but the main reason I don't is because it involves working with dangerous chemicals and with a 4-year old running around, I'd rather not.

Besides, I have other - even cooler - ideas for a dashboard.

linuxpowered88

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post
Wow ive never liked digital dashes but that is nice. Cliff maybe if you dont want to make it give the process to the forum for someone else? Just wondering.

[This message has been edited by linuxpowered88 (edited 05-03-2008).]

Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
oh wow thats neat!
Fie Ro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:
Besides, I have other - even cooler - ideas for a dashboard.

Tell us more btw what did you do with the "B" cluster ?
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rjblaze:

Hey Cliff, any chance you would be up to making some more FDD-X1 digital dashes? I finally got to see one and it looks like it was the best one out there for the price. Please....Please....Please......Please....I'm on my knees now!.......Please....Please....Please......LOL!

I second the motion, yours is one of the best looking ones around....... I wouldn't mind one either. -Jason
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Cliff,
I will personally take care of the 4yr old baby sitting for a few days in order for you to whip one of those out for me
Well just the plane trip over here will put them to sleep and back and forth would take a day so the duties would only be really 1 day of six flags amusement park then back on the plane to daddy!

rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by linuxpowered88:

Wow ive never liked digital dashes but that is nice. Cliff maybe if you dont want to make it give the process to the forum for someone else? Just wondering.

There's an idea! What if you made a complete instruction set to actually build them, just sell and ship us the instructions and the processor (as in your "resurection" thread), and we could make our own. I agree with anyone who has seen yours: It is definitely the nicest looking and within a persons normal price range. BTW, what was done with the aux. gauge panel?

Bob
eldervampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eldervampireSend a Private Message to eldervampireDirect Link to This Post
SWEET BISCUITS !!!!!!!!!!!

Cliff, there are plenty of folks here who could pay homage to your genuis, and make these for you to sell to us. Think of your adoring fans, think of the great services this form has provided for the lesser mortals who lack the skills of one such as your-self. Help us Cliff........

(brushes off knees and wipes nose)

Ya' know , i'd really like a set of these....

------------------
I have hundreds of uses for for people when they're alive. There are only a few after they are dead.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
I've been thinking about releasing the design to the public, but the thing that prevents me from doing so is that it will put some other people out of business. There are people who make a living making and selling digital dashboards for the Fiero...
linuxpowered88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post
Release the design to them. I think many people would pay for it that way they get even more business and people wanting to buy can. Everyone wins
PFF
System Bot
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
This is the first time I've seen this dash, and it looks much better than other digital offerings I've seen.
Mister

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

I've been thinking about releasing the design to the public, but the thing that prevents me from doing so is that it will put some other people out of business. There are people who make a living making and selling digital dashboards for the Fiero...

I admire your nobility Mr.P, but it's called business - The best product wins
The prospective producer will not give them for free, you will get paid for your design and he will get paid for the production.
The Fiero nation will get a great product for a good price

For the sake of fairness, here are 2 other digital gauges I found on page 1 of Google.
Let's have a vote:

1. http://www.markscustomkits....o-digital-gauges.htm

2. http://www.tomsdigitalelectronics.com/

3. FDD-X1 digital dash

If there are more available please post.

------------------

T-Top ~HUD~LEDs ~Red Fieros~Carputer~Montreal Club

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 05-03-2008).]

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post

Wow I love the dash and would pay to get one of these. PUtting your stuff out there for up to try I dont think will put others out of business but might increass as there is quite a few people that will not even try to make it or want them even more and pay. BUt I for one would love to have your design in my car before the others. I think that it is cleaner and more pleasing to the eye, And if I got the opertunity to make one myself I would be pleased.

Tom

------------------

Indy#64~FieroNews~Boots~Bag s~Wallets~Headliner~Spare Cover

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2008 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
i hope you show us how to build one some day cliff. Id pay for those schematics.
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2008 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post

You could sell the design to them, they would be more expensive that way. Or you can sell a how-to manual, prompting markscustomkits to make a dash that reminds me less of the circus and tom could lower his prices.
This is the first time i've seen your gauges and I believe it looks way better than any of the others.
Whatever you choose to do, i'm still a big fan.
linuxpowered88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2008 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post
As far as a vote I go like this

1. Horriable EWWW too 80's for me

2. Is ok but its stock looking and Im not a digital dash guy

3. The only dash Id consider over a analog/mechanical setup.
eldervampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2008 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eldervampireSend a Private Message to eldervampireDirect Link to This Post
^^^^^^
Agree completly.
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2008 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, how about you SELL the instructions on how to make it
dcfox

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2008 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by linuxpowered88:

1. Horriable EWWW too 80's for me

Yeah...why would anyone in their right mind want a dash with 80's styling in their 80's car.

Sorry...just poking fun...no offense intended.

------------------
--David

Golden Triangle Fiero Club

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Does the indicator on the speedo move top to bottom, so when you move..... the tach and the speedo both go top to bottom? That is freakin sweet.
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Hodson:

Does the indicator on the speedo move top to bottom, so when you move..... the tach and the speedo both go top to bottom? That is freakin sweet.

That's selectable. The dash uses three buttons to control it. If you press the "menu" button, you get into the system menu where you can setup all kinds of stuff - amongst which how the speedo and tach move. Here's a snippet from the manual:

There are many things you can change on the fly. LIke engine type (V6/L4), units (imperial/metric), display (odometer, inside/outside temperature, clock, trip time, average speed). Etc. One of the cool options is to have the dashboard display 0-60 times. Even cooler is it only displays 0-60 times when it detects you are "really going for it".

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11610 posts
Member since Jan 99
PS: I've received several messages from people offering to make the dashboards for me - either for resale or for own use. To those:I will consider it.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

PS: I've received several messages from people offering to make the dashboards for me - either for resale or for own use. To those:I will consider it.

I hope Riceburner98 is one of them. He does some cool stuff...
Mister

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock: I will consider it.

Showing off all these cool features... Now you're just teasing us LOL...It's a good way to create a BUZZ
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I was sold on the looks of the FDD. But the zero to 60 timer, all the adjustable doohickeys, I must have one. I simply must have one.

Hey Mr.P, can you make some circuitry or software(i dont know how the FDD works) that would allow the tach and speedo to work with popular engine swaps like the 3.4 or the 3800?
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Trying to keep this fresh in Cliff's mind!
eldervampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eldervampireSend a Private Message to eldervampireDirect Link to This Post
Build it, and they will come.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Edited by request.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 05-11-2008).]

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
... lol ... wow
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2008 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
PFF
System Bot
Reguile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2008 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReguileSend a Private Message to ReguileDirect Link to This Post

...Besides, I have other - even cooler - ideas for a dashboard.

What are these so called cooler designs? I like the dash buut I prefer analog, but I really really hate the stock cluster. Looks like you're driving an airplane and not a car
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2008 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
WOW, WHAT DO WE HAVE TO DO TO GET THIS OUT TO THE MASSES?!?!
NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Reguile:

What are these so called cooler designs? I like the dash buut I prefer analog, but I really really hate the stock cluster. Looks like you're driving an airplane and not a car

A very CHEAP looking airplane dash. I say swap with a vette.

------------------
If you ever have a questions about the sincerity of the circle of Fiero owners on this site, take a look at:
"In Memoriam: Fiero Members"

Pretty impressive.....

Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Oh wow, that is the best Fiero digital dash I've ever seen.
88Formula327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88Formula327Click Here to visit 88Formula327's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88Formula327Direct Link to This Post

Just in case anyone electronically inclined is interested...

I haven't spoken with Cliff, but from the pic, it appears the FDD-X1 dash uses a couple of displays very similar to these for the 0-60 and odometer functions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-x-HDS...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a great price considering that DigiKey and Mouser want around $35 ea. for these.
They ebay ones are yellow though...

The FDD-X1 dash has inspired me to design my own. I yanked the pod from the Formula last night to make some initial determinations.

The preliminary design will probably be based on:
AVR Mega32 as the processor (great free toolchain GCC WinAVR) as I already have an AVR JTAG programmer.
56 LEDs charlieplexed for each of the "analog" arcs (0-5500 by 100, 0-110 by 2)
4 x 7 seg displays for RPM (yellow)
3 x 7 seg displays for Speed (yellow)
Some of the HDSP-2111 displays above
Serial input from my Megasquirt for additional engine status (O2, MAP, MAT, etc)
Need to work on design for VR conditioning from VSS and determine if I want to retain the stepper odo.
See what the yellow looks like with different color plexi filters

I also considering using this...
http://www.allelectronics.c...DISPLAY_MODULE_.html
The price can't be beat! Follow the links in the reviews for applications.

If any of you artistic types would like to provide some styling input, I would be receptive!
I have a small CNC gantry mill and plan on making my own bezel so the layout just needs to fit in white plastic shell of the pod.

P.S. Cliff, I really like the overall appearance of your design!
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post05-14-2008 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mister:
If there are more available please post.

Verhalen's old dash:

He said that he paid $12,000 for it from AEX Electronic, because it was one of twelve made..... Yeah I don't know.

Edit: for the sake that he said $1,200 and I just have trouble remembering because I used to think he paid too much for it. I swear it was $12,000, but just in case.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 05-14-2008).]

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:
I hope Riceburner98 is one of them. He does some cool stuff...

Not me... I love the look of Cliff's dash though, is there anything he doesn't do a great job at??? I'm currently swamped with making HVAC stuff, would love to make them but would never have the time. Turns out making 1, 2, or 3 pieces like this is fun and can be done, but when you try to turn it into a business... Good bye any and all free time. At least in my case. Also you always get more people that say "I love it, gotta have one as soon as they're done!" then actually follow through and buy in the end, something always comes up.. I've got a huge pile of LED displays and chips left from when I was going to make the HUD units.. After selling a dozen or so it completely dried up, and those were only $50-$60. I get pinged every now and then on those, but just don't have the time to stop and build one for the $. Hopefully the HVAC's sell as well as they should, I have 500 LCD displays in the living room that need a home. LOL

Hope to see these clusters in more Fieros in the future! (And I want to see what Cliff's other ideas for the dashboard will be!)
savejonas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2008 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for savejonasSend a Private Message to savejonasDirect Link to This Post
After seeing Mandark's post the other day, I thought I'd bid on a Vauxhall dash on ebay, but it looks like the speedometer might not be accurate for a 2.8 V6. Anyway, they're going for like $50 and they look pretty neat.

Although, I'd much rather have Cliff's dash. You could always release the plans under an open source license so everyone with the know how could build their own.

[This message has been edited by savejonas (edited 05-15-2008).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock