Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  dozol's build thread "FIERO REBORN" (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
dozol's build thread "FIERO REBORN" by dozol
Started on: 10-25-2007 06:54 PM
Replies: 178
Last post by: doublec4 on 05-14-2008 09:56 PM
dozol

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone !!!!

Finally, It is my turn for a build thread.

First of all i need to show you my beloved purple fiero. I bought it in April of 2006 from a friend i met at Fierorama 2005. This car was owned previously to him by FieroLisa. She used to be here couple years ago before she sold her car. She put a huge amount of work into it. Here are some pictures of the car when she owned it. ( Search option helped a lot here )

When she owned it the paint was great, new grand am brakes, mr mikes seats, all the good stuf. When i bought it in April it looked like that. Still awesome tho.

Day after i got the car i let my friend drive it and he broke the transmission (4 speed). Well after a month or two i got the car runnig again and enjoyed it during the summer.

Over the time i noticed weird sounds coming from the engine. I knew something wasnt right but didnt have the money, time, and space to fix it. I was planning on replacing bearings but never got to do it. Later on i bought a different car because i needed a daily driver. The fiero felt a little abandoned

Finally couple monthe ago i took it for a quick spin and look what happened........

and thats the sucker that decided to give...

By that time i was about to end my relationship with the car. Luckily, i didnt give up and posted in the mall.

The car ended up in Wiscounsin in good hands. Craig ( prostreet505 here )is taking car of it now.

Our plans for it is are
fresh remanufatured high performance 2.8
everything polished and ported
rebuilt 4 speed tranny
everything painted
custom exhaust

that is all i can think of right now, but i can assure you the car will receive the love it deserves.

I will post pictures an everything as it progresses, right now the engine is out, the new one is just waiting for new home.

Craig will chime in and help me with technical stuff and with progress since the fiero is in his garage.

resising more pictures...................

dominik
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
Here is the first stage...

car up and end engine down....

and finally the short block yay !

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post

dozol

679 posts
Member since Feb 2005
i never imagined that would actually happen

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post

dozol

679 posts
Member since Feb 2005
I think it needs to be in Technical Discussion & Questions chat.
Hey Cliff i need your help here

dominik
prostreet505

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
Plans also include the heads to be ported and polished and shaved .020 to bump up compression. I am also eliminating the restrictive Y-pipe and manifolds and fabricating my own headers and exhaust to match this performance application. My goal for this build is to have the 2.8 get into the 220 hp to 230 hp range. Granted this is a goal, but with everything that has been done to the shortblock and that is going to be done to the upper half of the motor I don't think my calculations are going to be that far off.

The engine compartment is going to be stripped of all unneeded components and repainted along with the underside of the car and cradle.

This weekend the preparing and painting of the new engine and transmission are going to take place.

More pics to come...
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
hey craig

220hp? if it turns out to have this kind of power i will get a tatoo across my chest with your name

just joking around.

prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
220 hp is the goal I am after. With the engine mods and the new exhaust we should be pretty close. I talked to the good old boys from Fasttimes and they said I can run it on their dyno when we are done.
Wii Bird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wii BirdClick Here to visit Wii Bird's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wii BirdDirect Link to This Post
Prostreet....
What would you say are the best flattop pistons to put in a 4 Cyclinder?
Which would be going in 1987 Fiero SE.
Kyle1016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kyle1016Send a Private Message to Kyle1016Direct Link to This Post
AWESOME ! dominik

keep us updated with some pics

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
some more pictures of the old engine ready to be stripped down.

this picture is a little blurry but the camshaft is scratched and will not be reused (hp from fierostore)

Craig will also remove the ac and all emission parts to make the engine compartment look nice and clean.

so what do you guys think so far, the plenum and valve covers will be the color of the car.

dominik

[This message has been edited by dozol (edited 10-26-2007).]

prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wii Bird:

Prostreet....
What would you say are the best flattop pistons to put in a 4 Cyclinder?
Which would be going in 1987 Fiero SE.

It all depends on what you are looking to do with the engine and what type of valvetrain you are planning on running to decide on the best piston to use. Just remember that the money you are going to spend on the Iron Duke you will only achieve minimal gains. There is only so much you can do with a Duke.
PFF
System Bot
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
yay the weekend !

Kyle, next time im at craig's i will take few pics of your engine.

Hey guys like i said the intakes will be dark purple.

What color spark plug wires would go along with purple? Blue?

dominik

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post

dozol

679 posts
Member since Feb 2005
hey guys dont let it go yet!

bump so it stays on the 1st page.

dominik
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post

dozol

679 posts
Member since Feb 2005
guys guys guys guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

loooooooooooook here are ne pics !

short block getting ready for paint

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post

dozol

679 posts
Member since Feb 2005
now the paint !!!!!!!!!!!!!

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post

dozol

679 posts
Member since Feb 2005
some more progress....

now with intakes

dominik
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
Dominik,

What do you think so far? I know the paint is not an exact match, but the color started off as plum purple which almost matched your cars paint exactly. Then the more I looked at it, I thought that it would look really nice if it was a little deeper shade of purple. So then I layed down several coats of Anodized Purple on top of the plum purple and it ended up looking like that. You really have to see the paint in person. It looks great!!!

If you want the car to match the engine I can always paint the car for you too
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
The paint looks great. Like you said in person it will look differently.

I really like look the combination of purple and brushed aluminium.

I think ss vacum lines would look great....
here are some more pics.

as far as a harmonic balancer....

needs to be replaced.

93 bucks in Fierostore.

Should i get that one?

hobodude34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hobodude34Send a Private Message to hobodude34Direct Link to This Post
yeah u best get a balancer if you want that new engine to last...
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
Hey Craig,

any new updates?

what do you have planned this week?
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by dozol:

Hey Craig,

any new updates?

what do you have planned this week?

Work, work, and more work. I want to get the old engine and trans off the craddle so it can be sanded down and painted. Then I need to remove the extra stuff we need off of the old engine. I also have to strip down the upper intake and repaint it. While the paint was drying the wind kicked up and leaves blew and landed on the intake, The paint was still wet so they stuck. I pealed them off, but I can still notice where they were. It is bugging me so I am going to repaint it.
PFF
System Bot
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
Hey Craig,

Keep up the good work. Engine looks sweet.

You mentioned shaving heads, i am pretty sure that guy i bought the car from also shaved 'em. Even tho i dont have a recipt he told me he did so. I dont want you end up shaving them too much. Are you planning on checking the heads?

dominik
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post

dozol

679 posts
Member since Feb 2005
bump for updates.....
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
He had the heads resurfaced to make them straight and free of any imperfections. He did not have them shaved. Heads are going to be checked prior to doing the work. You also have some broken exhaust manifold studs that are going to have to be removed and heli-coiled. So you should also get some exhaust manifold studs. You can get them from Rodneys.
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
hey Craig,

did you find out which oil pan i need?

so far i need

head bolts
manifold studs (how many a set?)
harmonic balancer

let me know what you want me to get myself.

my credit card is covered with dust so lets do some swiping lol

dominik

[This message has been edited by dozol (edited 10-29-2007).]

prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
Get a set of manifold studs. The new engine is a 86 block, so that is what year you have to get the oilpan for.
Wait until I get a complete list of parts together before ordering, this way it will save money on shipping and handling.
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

prostreet505

426 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by dozol:

let me know what you want me to get myself.

my credit card is covered with dust so lets do some swiping lol

dominik

Well if thats the case, Lets sell the 2.8 and get a nice 350 to put in there for you
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
i forgot to mention, being 21 my credit line is as big as your engine lol

dominik
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post

dozol

679 posts
Member since Feb 2005
i just looked at the engine ( again ) and thought about the intake. I think that 30 dollar ebay crx cold air intake would look nice in there being aluminum, all shiny.

what do you guys think, just for looks.

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
hey guys, dont let it die.

this is fun.

any updates Craig?

dominik
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
Yea, scrap the crx intake idea. You already have a custom cold air intake on your car. It looks good and is very functional. Don't sacrifice hp for good looks. Thats just my .02
PFF
System Bot
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
ok craig

I was just throwing an idea around. I had that intake im my red fiero. It looked nice and sounded good.

Maybe i paint the existing black tube some other color, i donk know. I will wait until its done.

any updates Craig?

dominik
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
updates updates updates

Well today i stopped by Craig's house to see how things were going.
The cradle was separated from the engine, will be repainted
The old transmission was removed, turned out i need a new clutch.

Here are couple pictures a took with my camera phone.

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post

dozol

679 posts
Member since Feb 2005

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
from my observations: And i hate to rain on the parade cause everything looks like its getting top notch attention.

the 4 speed transaxle removed was a 4:10 4 speed im guessing from the FWD shift cable ears that are on it, putting another 4:10 back into that car would be a waste, that being said, ive got two of them in unknown condition $300 shipped to your door, both removed from 84's with blown motors.

second view:

your using the stock fiero intake, even in ported/polished form if you get over 160HP and 210ft/lbs ill be VERY VERY surprised.

with a 3.4L pushrod motor 95% of the dyno's done using a stock ported intake with bored throttlebody never exceeded 150HP, my stock 3.4L with the trueleo intake only had like 143HP (at the wheels)

my horsepower guess would be 150HP and 195ft/lbs at the wheels, this is dependant on if the heads and lower intake get ported or not, if they dont, id take 10hp and 10ft/lbs off that guess.

also what cam are you going to be using? this will also make a large difference in the amount of power that can be had.

matthew
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
yay ! thanks for the reply !

The transmission will be a 3.63 ratio (correct me if the number is right) which was rebuilt previously and is in a plastic bag waiting to be painted

I am aware of the stock plenum giving poor performance.

That is why we have decided to carb the engine. Shortly i will be getting performer intake manifolds (base and plenum), 4 bbl carb, the distributor and some other parts needed for this project from Jegs.

This should solve the stock intake problem

any thoughts on this?
Kyle1016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kyle1016Send a Private Message to Kyle1016Direct Link to This Post
looking good, was wondering what you two were up too

Keep on posting pics

kyle
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
sorry guys but im learning as we go.

this would be the base manifold with top one?
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post

dozol

679 posts
Member since Feb 2005
and the holley carburetor?
Holley 390cfm Vacuum Secondary 4-Barrel Carburetor

dominik
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
by going carb your probably going to have 180-190HP depending on other mods your doing, definatly better than the stock intake.

the 4 speed from a 85-86 v6 car is 3.65 ratio

things ill need to know to give you a "fair" horsepower analysis would be:

what cam are you using?
what compression ratio your pistons are
stock rockers, or roller rockers?
i already saw your adding headers so that will help alot, id recommend 2.25" exhaust
are the heads and intake going to be ported?

need to know what exactly is being done to the engine.

matthew
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock