Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Bought the Indy I was looking for. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Bought the Indy I was looking for. by RAREW66
Started on: 10-01-2006 11:34 PM
Replies: 75
Last post by: jscott1 on 07-19-2008 08:33 PM
RAREW66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Direct Link to This Post
Pretty much has been a five year search for the right car. For those who know me, I have stated that the only way I could live with owning an Indy is to find a "new" one. I have been lucky enough to be able to purchase one with 193 miles. VIN 1G2AF37R6EP247907. Replica #36 on my Indy VIN list. The car was built in late February, accepted off the transport on 02-27-84, and dealer prepped on 03-01-84. The car came with a thick packet of paper beginning with a copy of the MSO all the way to current. I need to see if I can get in to contact with the dealer and first owner for background info on the car. The car has every possible option that was offered with the exception of the 4.10 4 speed. I did not realize that the map pockets on the doors were an option on the Indy. They cost an extra $24. The MSRP was $14,510.00. With dealer mark-up over sticker and extended warranty the cost of the car was $17,110.00 before taxes, license and title fees. That seems pretty expensive for 1984. But, Fieros where still on a waiting list basis at dealers at that time and to throw the Indy package in to the mix made demand even greater.

Pics:

more....
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Direct Link to This Post

I almost forgot how nice "new" tail lights looked

more.........
RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Direct Link to This Post

RAREW66

1119 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Interior:

more......
RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Direct Link to This Post

RAREW66

1119 posts
Member since Jun 2001
The most important feature to me:

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
WOW, that is nice!

Pete

------------------

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

Indyrestoration

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyrestorationSend a Private Message to IndyrestorationDirect Link to This Post
What a beautiful work of art. That is such a nice Indy. Congrats!

Eric
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! That's a beautiful car.
It doesn't have the 4.10 4 speed? I can only surmise that it has the 3.32 economy trans. Right?
Seems like a strange choice for an Indy. Not necessarily one that I would disagree with though. Just not what one would expect.

I find it interesting that it actually stickered for about $600 more than my 85 GT (which looked nearly identical. Big surprise. )
All that the GT was missing in terms of options was auto tranny, rear defrost and power mirrors.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe................................................

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
wow, thats sweet, lower it, tint the windows and DRIVE IT

------------------

AIM:Onefast2M8
02 Jetta 1.8t
98 GTI 2.slow
02 CBR 954RR

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Very nice! That's a beautiful car.
It doesn't have the 4.10 4 speed? I can only surmise that it has the 3.32 economy trans. Right?
Seems like a strange choice for an Indy. Not necessarily one that I would disagree with though. Just not what one would expect.

I find it interesting that it actually stickered for about $600 more than my 85 GT (which looked nearly identical. Big surprise. )
All that the GT was missing in terms of options was auto tranny, rear defrost and power mirrors.

and the 85GT had 2 more cyl's
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
Where have I seen that car before............?

Look even better now.

Mark

[This message has been edited by Firefox (edited 10-02-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescDirect Link to This Post
You know this is not fare. lol I have been wanting one of these for the longest time. Everyone has one but me. Well if I hunt enough long enough... I will get one. Nice find. Youd do have the contacts. LOL
RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Direct Link to This Post
Front compartment is a little dusty, but will be new with a minimal of effort.

Engine and engine compartment need a minor cosmetic restoration to brighten everything up to the condition of the rest of the car, but will be a minor issue. The floor pan and wheel liners have the dealer installed black sound proofing sprayed on them. So, the crappy job of removing that will be fun. The suspension and front radiator grill area are dusty but still new appearing with the exception of the cast iron parts that are lightly rusted.

The car starts right up and idles smooth, but reeks of old gas, so that will come out this week. It is nice to hear how quiet the iron duke was when new. The only noise that you hear out the back is the exhaust and the click of the fuel injector with no valve train noise. The car still has the original coolant, brake fluid, clutch hydralic brake fluid and trans fluid in it, so that will need attention before the car goes in to storage for the winter. The front brake calipers are dragging, but the rears are fine including an operating e-brake. Even the A/C still works; not 100% of what was new, but still cools down to 52 degrees. The only negative the car has is the yellowing clear coat on the front and rear fascias. The yellowing seems to be a normal condition for Indys with original paint. The front and rear fascias were painted off-line, seperately from the rest of the car. The building adjacent to the Fiero plant where the Indy package was installed had a temporary paint booth set up in it to paint the fascias. It is to my understanding that the paint booth was more or less curtains hung in a corner with no environment control like the Fiero plant had. Why this occured has still not been divluged. Hopefully our continued research will reveal the details. At this time, I do not intend to do any paint work due to the originality. But, if it becomes an issue, I will find a pair of new fascias and put them on and save the originals the way they are. The only senario I can predict would be POCI National judging which I do intend on doing.

All in all, I am pretty happy with my purchase. And now the PPG Pace Car has a new roomate.

------------------
Fred Bartemeyer
Chairman Heartland Fieros
http://www.heartlandfieros.com
86 GT 4spd Black 26k miles
87 GT 5spd. Blue 37k miles
88 Silver T-Top Formula 281,000 miles
85 Yellow PPG GTP Pace Car
87 GT 5 spd Annette's Sunshine Driver
88 GT 5 spd Annette's Daily Driver

RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Direct Link to This Post

RAREW66

1119 posts
Member since Jun 2001

Originally posted by Raydar:

Yep, it is a 4.10 alright. The dealer order sheet, window sticker, and build sheet from under the passenger seat have the RPO code "FW5 Axle Ratio 4.10" on them.

Fred

[This message has been edited by RAREW66 (edited 10-02-2006).]

speedracerfx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for speedracerfxSend a Private Message to speedracerfxDirect Link to This Post
Wow. Talk about a time capsule. I'm glad you plan on preserving it.
DanFiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroDirect Link to This Post
Congrats Fred!!! Can't wait to see it on the 8th when you drive it on the Fall Cruise!!!

Dan
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Added you to my "hate" list.
j/k, congrats.
ohioindy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations
I know you have been searching for a while.
I’m really impressed with the car.
It will be nice if anyone is restoring an Indy and has a question as to “how it came from the factory” we will have a benchmark.
Mike
BamaFieroMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BamaFieroManSend a Private Message to BamaFieroManDirect Link to This Post
Wonderful find! Keep the car in great condition and you have a great show piece. Don't forget though, it is a car, please drive it, if only for about a 100 miles a year. That's why it was built.
MsLoriFiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MsLoriFieroSend a Private Message to MsLoriFieroDirect Link to This Post
I had one for sale with 9 miles on it, but on one seemed to want it.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/028250.html
WingNut - MD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
Congrats Fred! Looking at those pictures brings a tear to ones eyes. Indy's are beautiful, but to see one brand new in all it's glory is truly a wonderful thing.

Originally posted by MsLoriFiero:

I had one for sale with 9 miles on it, but on one seemed to want it.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/028250.html

What happened to this car?

[This message has been edited by WingNut - MD (edited 10-02-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
MsLoriFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MsLoriFieroSend a Private Message to MsLoriFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WingNut - MD:

Congrats Fred! Looking at those pictures brings a tear to ones eyes. Indy's are beautiful, but to see one brand new in all it's glory is truly a wonderful thing.

What happened to this car?

I don't know, I haven't talked to the owner in a while,but if anyone is interested, I will call and find out.

Lori
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Now that Indy definitely IS MINT!! No B.S. when you claim that it is!

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
You never cease to amaze me, Fred. Congratulations. Thanks for posting the pics, it looks fantastic.
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RAREW66:

The most important feature to me:

why is the mph at 10, and temp guage on, were you driving? VERY NICE CAR btw
fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Excellent find, Fred, congrats.

I briefly considered selling Harold Hooten's car, and would have contacted you about it. I thought I needed it for airplane money, but luckily it looks like I'll be able to keep it.
CenTexIndy

Feedback score:    (32)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post
VERY NICE!

Patience can be fun sometimes...way to wait until you found the one you wanted!

------------------

SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
Congrats and dont change a thing. They way I tell a orignal Indy is by the yellow back and front. If you trade them off you may get a smart judge who counts that against you and figures it was a repaint do to a total match.
Some close up details of the engine will help some of us out who are doing a resto as I want my engine to look as close to orignal as possible.
Good score & I know it is in good hands.. SC
Mister

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Some day...

Congrats RAREW66.

------------------

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:

Yep, it is a 4.10 alright. The dealer order sheet, window sticker, and build sheet from under the passenger seat have the RPO code "FW5 Axle Ratio 4.10" on them.

Fred

i thought the RPO codes were MY8 and M19.

and i thought you might have to get rid of the PPG to make some space
SuperchargedV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
Mine is the 4:10 ratio and is FW5 on the build sheet. This was the more common trans. The 3:18 ratio code F75 was rare. Hope this helps. SC
PFF
System Bot
OHNIKO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
wow! very nice find & such a sharp car; i love that interior!
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SuperchargedV6:

Mine is the 4:10 ratio and is FW5 on the build sheet. This was the more common trans. The 3:18 ratio code F75 was rare. Hope this helps. SC

so are the codes on the build sheet different than the ones on the RPO sticker on the fender?
paced84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Direct Link to This Post
Great find.
Thought for sure you would have known that map pockets were an option. Electric rear defogger was also an option on Indys.
Mine did not have map pockets, I installed a set as it looks to plain without them. I have not received any info from IMS. Ellen will get back with me I am sure. Maybe the day will come that I find an Indy like yours and will keep stock. Just want to get the currant one as close to Indy #1 as possible.

RT
Indy (full strobes as orginal #1)
Indy #1 & Indy #4 ? at IMS

SuperchargedV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
Yes that code is the same as the one on the fender well of the 1984 Fiero. The code you are giving is for another car and possibly the later Fieros??, Vette probably and a longitudal trans.. Below are the codes you are talking about for both sets of trans. SC

Fiero

FW5 Transaxle, final drive, 4.10 ratio
FX8 Transaxle, final drive, 3.61 ratio
F41 Suspension, heavy duty, front and rear (special)
F75 Transaxle, final drive, 3.18 ratio

Others Longitudal and later Fiero's ???

MD9 3-speed automatic transmission (THM125C)
MG2 Transmission, manual, 5-speed (Muncie) 3.61 ratio
MG3 Transmission, manual, 5-speed (Muncie)
MM4 Transmission, manual, 4-speed, provisions (84-86)
MM5 Transmission, manual, 5-speed, provisions (85-88)
MT2 5-speed manual transmission (Isuzu) 3.35 ratio
MV9 3 speed automatic transmission (THM200C)
MX1 3 speed automatic transmission
MY7 4-speed manual transmission (Isuzu)
MY8 4-speed manual transmission (Muncie) 3.32 ratio
M17 4-speed manual transmission (Muncie) 3.65 ratio
M19 4-speed manual transmission (Muncie) 4.10 ratio

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2006 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
how much did you have to pay?why was it up for sale?just curious , beautiful car.
84IndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2006 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84IndyFieroSend a Private Message to 84IndyFieroDirect Link to This Post
Yes, not to be gauche, but how much is a "new" Indy going for these days? I admit that normally a question like this would be in poor taste, but I think an exception is to be made among enthusiasts; especially in light of the fact that these cars are 22 years old now. Please, please, do tell.
Matthew
N8YKC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2006 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N8YKCSend a Private Message to N8YKCDirect Link to This Post
Nice that you found a great Indy Pace Car Fred. I enjoyed having dinner and talking to you in Indy this year. I sure wish you had that car earlier this summer, as I would have loved to have seen it at the reunion. I would like some more pictures if you can email them to me.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2006 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Yes that code is the same as the one on the fender well of the 1984 Fiero. The code you are giving is for another car and possibly the later Fieros??, Vette probably and a longitudal trans.. Below are the codes you are talking about for both sets of trans. SC

Fiero

FW5 Transaxle, final drive, 4.10 ratio
FX8 Transaxle, final drive, 3.61 ratio
F41 Suspension, heavy duty, front and rear (special)
F75 Transaxle, final drive, 3.18 ratio

Others Longitudal and later Fiero's ???

MD9 3-speed automatic transmission (THM125C)
MG2 Transmission, manual, 5-speed (Muncie) 3.61 ratio
MG3 Transmission, manual, 5-speed (Muncie)
MM4 Transmission, manual, 4-speed, provisions (84-86)
MM5 Transmission, manual, 5-speed, provisions (85-88)
MT2 5-speed manual transmission (Isuzu) 3.35 ratio
MV9 3 speed automatic transmission (THM200C)
MX1 3 speed automatic transmission
MY7 4-speed manual transmission (Isuzu)
MY8 4-speed manual transmission (Muncie) 3.32 ratio
M17 4-speed manual transmission (Muncie) 3.65 ratio
M19 4-speed manual transmission (Muncie) 4.10 ratio

i dont know where you are getting your information from.

the P22 book shows the 84 to have a MY8 or a M19 as the only two options for a manual in 84.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 10-03-2006).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2006 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002

and there never was a 3.18 trans. if there was i would be all over it.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock